Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, it's something I brought up to him at Gencon, how I love Unknown Armies but that it runs into "but what do I do with this?", and he said it's something he's going to try and address in Unknown Armies 3. Time will tell, of course, but hopefully Better Angels is an example of Stolze having more focused campaign concepts in his future games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone know what ever became of the Infinity RPG that was kickstarted last year? Wasn't that supposed to have been released in Q4 2015? I've heard literally nothing about it since the KS ended, and a quick look at their Kickstarter page makes it seem like it's still not out yet. I didn't back or anything, but I'm interested in the wargame and the fluff in general.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They bit off more than they could chew honestly. Modiphius has a bunch of different product lines running concurrently right now, with Conan, Mutant Chronicles, and the Infinity RPG. Plus stretch goal bloat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kwyndig posted:

They bit off more than they could chew honestly. Modiphius has a bunch of different product lines running concurrently right now, with Conan, Mutant Chronicles, and the Infinity RPG. Plus stretch goal bloat.

Looking at the stretch goals and... yeah. They basically promised to launch with more content than most RPGs get over their entire publishing lifetimes. :stare:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a game for people who want to try miniatures wargame rules, but don't have the werewithal to buy/make/paint miniatures?

I'm interested in the idea of pushing toy soldiers around and determining line of sight with rulers and string and resolving shots via dice rolls, but I don't actually have any minis and seriously doubt I could get any at a reasonable price where I live.

Do you have Legos or models sitting around? You could probably learn to play Mobile Frame Zero, whose rulebook has a recommended donation but actually can be acquired for free... If you're into that sort of thing. http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If you ever want to chat about line of sight in grid games, come over to the roguelike thread

madjackmcmad posted:

Line of fuckin' sight, man. Seriously. "It's a solved problem" yeah, wellllll....

Ok, start here by just using your gut. No math, no algorithms:

Can the hero see the monster?
Can the monster see the hero?

Maybe it's cut and dry to you, maybe you took a second to imagine situations where any of the four result states could be true.

If we just use center-to-center line drawing, can't nobody see poo poo:

But that's awful, because center-to-center alone is a poor determinant of LOS. If we used only center-to-center, the Jibbasnap couldn't see the (clearly visible) wall tile A just 4 squares away.

What's even WORSE is that the jibbasnap could only see B because it cast a ray out towards A. If you were to directly target tile B and look, center-to-center would get you a miss, even though when you lit the area, B was visible.

D&D 4th Edition, for what it's worth, tried to boil LOS down into picking a corner in your tile and seeing how many corners you could see in the target tile. If we do that, our hero has a clear line of sight to the monster, but the monster less so to the hero.

"Less so" what the gently caress does that mean? Cover?

Maybe it does, if you are a clever spy, or playing DoomRL. Does your game require non-reciprocal LOS? Is it worth the possible performance hit and systems complexity?

What about... now?

What changed here? Ascii instead of sprites, who cares right? Sure. And here's the LOS.

This seems right... doesn't it? It just makes sense, why bother with any of the 4E crap above at all? Madjack I thought you just said like 6 images ago that "center-to-center alone is a poor determinant of LOS" so which is it?

Some players, perhaps the casuals out there who dabble in roguelites, not those living the rogue lyfe, expect different behavior out of sprites because of their appearance. I chose this sprite and facing on purpose, because with his head at the corner, the idea of peeking around a corner just makes sense.

Picking the best sort of LOS for your game is a mission, and it always boils down to some finicky code and edge cases.

madjackmcmad made Dungeonmans (it's good!) and Demon Truck (bought, downloaded, haven't played yet!)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/

https://triger-mountain.itch.io/demon-truck/

--------

Along the lines of "everything I see today I immediately think of a game"; I stopped into a bookstore today and perused the new nonfiction section.

The Midnight Assassin caught my eye. Within, Skip Hollandsworth describes "the Servant Girls Murders" which is suggested to be an early example of a serial killer of women working in the US, three years before Jack the Ripper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_Girl_Annihilator

The story starts in Austin Texas in the 1880s. It includes:

[*] murders with axe, knife and incertion of a metal bar through the ear into the brain (lobotomy)
[*] racial tensions
[*] incompetent police
[*] Texans
[*] all white jury acquitting a black man (no really)
[*] not really Pinkertons
[*] actual Pinkertons
[*] political scandal
[*] a speculative link to the Jack the Ripper murders
[*] mysterious Malaysian cooks
[*] culminating in electric street lights around Austin

http://themidnightassassin.com/?utm...n=9780805097672

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Assa...dnight+assassin

quote:

"Gripping and atmospheric...This true crime page-turner is a balanced and insightful examination of one of the most stirring serial killing sprees in American history, and certainly one of the least well-known."―Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)

“Readers who loved The Devil in the White City now have the pleasure of reading The Midnight Assassin. It paints a compelling portrait of a culture at a turning point – that is, the capitol of Texas at the end of the 19th Century, when the barbarism of the frontier was giving way to the savagery of urban life.”―Lawrence Wright, Pulitzer Prize-winning author The Looming Towerand Thirteen Days in September

Now I haven't read it, but it seems interesting. More importantly given the beautiful reprint of the below map in the interior of the hardback, it struck me as a great reference for a city game set in the late 1800s in Texas.

(couldn't get it to upload so here is a link)

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/arc/maps/images/map2341.jpg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.wargamer.com/news/the-cold-war-begins-on-wednesday-with-the-release-of-twilight-struggle-for-pcmac/

quote:

Of all the board game ports we've been waiting for, none have created more anticipation than the card-driven Cold War title, Twilight Struggle. Published by GMT Games back in 2005, it became a huge hit and, until recently, was considered the #1 game over at BoardGameGeek (it's still ranked #2). It was in development hell until 2014 when it was announced that Playdek would be taking over the reins and over the weekend we learned that it's finally coming to our laptops this Wednesday, April 13.

The game will be available for PC and Mac on Steam
, with the iOS/Android version to follow down the road. Our last update indicated that the AI needed some work, and it sounds like that may still be the case. However, by opening up the app to more players, they'll be able to have the AI learn more and become better as time goes on.

Our focus for the game after this release will be our continued effort to implement AI. By releasing the game to a larger player-base soon, we will be able to generate more game data to use for AI training.

The game will have asynchronous multiplayer using Playdek's own network meaning that when the mobile version comes online, multiplayer will be fully cross-platform. It also means you'll need to create a Playdek account when you log into the game, but if you have a Playdek account from any of their previous titles, that will work as well.

If you've been a beta tester, Playdek warns that your profile and any ongoing games or saved games will be deleted sometime today when the retail servers go live.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's something I brought up to him at Gencon, how I love Unknown Armies but that it runs into "but what do I do with this?", and he said it's something he's going to try and address in Unknown Armies 3. Time will tell, of course, but hopefully Better Angels is an example of Stolze having more focused campaign concepts in his future games.

UA3's GM book is largely about getting your group to set concrete objectives for their characters, and then pacing their progress toward their goal.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zerilan posted:

UA3's GM book is largely about getting your group to set concrete objectives for their characters, and then pacing their progress toward their goal.

I've always found that UA works much better for short campaigns at a very low power level. Higher end magic makes it very difficult to work in groups.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Badass

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ya this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Drone posted:

Anyone know what ever became of the Infinity RPG that was kickstarted last year? Wasn't that supposed to have been released in Q4 2015? I've heard literally nothing about it since the KS ended, and a quick look at their Kickstarter page makes it seem like it's still not out yet. I didn't back or anything, but I'm interested in the wargame and the fluff in general.

Pretty much what's been said. They got way too optimistic about their production speed and their art pipeline. There is material being published - they're up to the skills chapter in the main book, out of like twenty friggin' books.

There is an online character generator. Hooray?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I've always found that UA works much better for short campaigns at a very low power level. Higher end magic makes it very difficult to work in groups.

Yeah, haven't gotten the chance to playtest UA3 yet, but it at least seems to be attempting to help the GM guide groups with adepts and poo poo to work together. It also really stresses doing a collaborative character building session as a group to come up with characters that fit together.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How good would that be, for me, a mapgamer.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

How good would that be, for me, a mapgamer.

It's not much like mapgaming except trading in EU3/4. It's more about establishing and maintaining influence, paranoia, and brinkmanship.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Helical Nightmares posted:

Along the lines of "everything I see today I immediately think of a game"; I stopped into a bookstore today and perused the new nonfiction section.

The Midnight Assassin caught my eye. Within, Skip Hollandsworth describes "the Servant Girls Murders" which is suggested to be an early example of a serial killer of women working in the US, three years before Jack the Ripper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_Girl_Annihilator

The story starts in Austin Texas in the 1880s. It includes:

[*] murders with axe, knife and incertion of a metal bar through the ear into the brain (lobotomy)
[*] racial tensions
[*] incompetent police
[*] Texans
[*] all white jury acquitting a black man (no really)
[*] not really Pinkertons
[*] actual Pinkertons
[*] political scandal
[*] a speculative link to the Jack the Ripper murders
[*] mysterious Malaysian cooks
[*] culminating in electric street lights around Austin

http://themidnightassassin.com/?utm...n=9780805097672

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Assa...dnight+assassin

Now I haven't read it, but it seems interesting. More importantly given the beautiful reprint of the below map in the interior of the hardback, it struck me as a great reference for a city game set in the late 1800s in Texas.

(couldn't get it to upload so here is a link)

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/arc/maps/images/map2341.jpg

The Servant Girl Murders are an interesting topic but more importantly that is an awesome map, thanks. It's from before the University was founded even, and it is extremely weird to see some of those streets as mostly uninhabited.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's an Unknown Armies 3 coming? Thank you for that, it's the best TG news I've heard all month.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

There's an Unknown Armies 3 coming? Thank you for that, it's the best TG news I've heard all month.

The KS is still live!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The current Humble Bundle is a set of audiobooks by R. A. Salvatore

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, haven't gotten the chance to playtest UA3 yet, but it at least seems to be attempting to help the GM guide groups with adepts and poo poo to work together. It also really stresses doing a collaborative character building session as a group to come up with characters that fit together.

I jumped on the KS and so far I'm pretty happy with what I've seen in the Gamma documents.

My one major complaints are that none of the new Adept schools are as visceral, or compelling, as the schools from previous editions. In UA2, you had adepts that warped flesh, stole identities, and commanded power by getting drunk or high. In UA3, you have Adepts that... farm, or play dress-up. Which is ok, but not very exciting.

This wouldn't be such an issue if not for the fact that there are NO new write-ups for any of the old Adept schools. And I know they've talked about putting them in later books, but it'd be helpful to have at least a few front-and-center.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The current Humble Bundle is a set of audiobooks by R. A. Salvatore

Please tell me they included the one read by Ice-T.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

What. Please expound.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Helical Nightmares posted:

What. Please expound.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/ice-loves-mithril/

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Unfortunately, it does not. They're GraphicAudio's audiobooks of Salvatore's Demon Wars Saga and other non-D&D work. Audible seems to have the D&D audiobook license.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Chris Cocks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Now we know what the C in WOTC really means :pervert:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

That's even better! They're offering complete pdf sets of the previous editions too, Christmas came early this year.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

That's even better! They're offering complete pdf sets of the previous editions too, Christmas came early this year.

Does Stolze have any bad history with crowdfunding? I usually refuse to crowdfund, but I really like UA and if he can deliver, I might break my rule here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Does Stolze have any bad history with crowdfunding? I usually refuse to crowdfund, but I really like UA and if he can deliver, I might break my rule here.
He pretty much invented crowdfunded RPG projects, and every Reign supplement was Kickstarted and delivered, so yeah. He's a safe bet.

fake edit: He's basically 32 for 32: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/gregstolze/created

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

He pretty much invented crowdfunded RPG projects, and every Reign supplement was Kickstarted and delivered, so yeah. He's a safe bet.

fake edit: He's basically 32 for 32: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/gregstolze/created
When someone describes somebody as a "professional" what they really mean is "like Greg Stolze".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Greg Stolze makes most of the industry look just awful by comparison.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This is fantastic.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

That isn't even counting the stuff he's done through Arc Dream.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If GMS was even half as professional as Stolze we'd all be talking about which edition of Far West we liked better, second or third.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Kickstarter page also doesn't have any of the Reign supplements which he "ransomed" through Fundable or whatever the KS precursor was called back when Reign was new. Essentially what Stolze did was he'd write 10,000 words of supplementary material for Reign and then put up like a two week Kickstarter-ish thing to raise $1,000, or roughly $0.10 a word. If they met their funding then he'd release the supplement not only to backers but to everyone for free in perpetuity, otherwise he'd just...well I'm not sure what the other outcome would have been because they never failed to fund and he never failed to deliver. He did this enough to compile three collected books of the stuff he ransomed.

So basically if you ever decide that you only want to give crowdfunding money to one person, giving it to Greg Stolze is maybe the single safest bet you can make, followed by Kevin Crawford who hasn't been in the game as long but has a reputation for not just delivering on time but ahead of schedule.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Glad to hear Mr. Stolze's good reputation is well-earned, I'm even more more excited now.

As an aside, if you picked up the Unknown Armies Bundle of Holding from a few years ago then the only books you're missing from the Crazy Packs are:
1:
Unknown Armies core rulebook (1st edition)
Hush Hush
Lawyers Guns & Money
Postmodern Magick

2:
Ascension of the Magdalene

Just something to consider for anyone who got that and was planning on backing the KS.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I just say that I'm glad I don't use webcams when playing games online because it hit 110 degrees today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I own a webcam that cost me 8 Australian Dollars six years ago in a Safeway. It still works although it's strictly on microphone duty because the picture is terrible. And for microphone duty is does a pretty good job, if my regular mic isn't working or is unavailable for some reason.

• Locked thread