Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Is there a good program out there for creating a floorpan for a house along with placing furniture, marking things like electrical outlets, and other stuff someone might want to do with a home they own? Preferably to keep long-term to play with future furniture arrangements, remodeling, and other changes like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there an VNC-like iPad app that lets you remotely use your Mac?

I mean use, not just access documents or whatever.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there an VNC-like iPad app that lets you remotely use your Mac?

I mean use, not just access documents or whatever.

There are several VNC apps, yes. I use VNC Viewer on my iPhone.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

It would also be nice if right-clicking on an image in Safari and selecting "Add to Photos" did "anything," instead of "nothing."

Ever since Photos was released, that option has always imported directly to whichever Photos Library you have configured as your system default, not whichever one was last opened in Photos.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Ever since Photos was released, that option has always imported directly to whichever Photos Library you have configured as your system default, not whichever one was last opened in Photos.

I only have one Photos library.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I'm thinking of sticking an SSHD into my old MBP. What's the best solution for cloning over the contents of the old drive, including the Boot Camp partition?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

I'm thinking of sticking an SSHD into my old MBP. What's the best solution for cloning over the contents of the old drive, including the Boot Camp partition?

I've successfully used WinClone by TwoCanoes to do this. It's $20, but worth it if you want to save your Boot Camp partition.

You basically set up the new drive as a replacement (install El Cap, restore from latest Time Machine). And then follow the steps here:

https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201170769-Move-Boot-Camp-to-a-replacement-drive

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone

Another option is to convert your Windows install to a VM (which is what I ultimately did). VMWare and Parallels both have an easy process but cost $$. VirtualBox is free, but I imagine converting the BootCamp install is a pain in the rear end. Then just set up the new drive with El Cap, restore from Time Machine, and run Windows as a VM.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Axiem posted:

Is there a good program out there for creating a floorpan for a house along with placing furniture, marking things like electrical outlets, and other stuff someone might want to do with a home they own? Preferably to keep long-term to play with future furniture arrangements, remodeling, and other changes like that?

There's an iOS app called MagicPlan, I don't know how in depth it is or how much precision you need but it's definitely good for making basic floorplans.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

I only have one Photos library.

Oh, then I don't know what's up with that option not working.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Axiem posted:

Following on from the other suggestion, I've also used an iPad app called "Room Arranger" which is pretty good. The UI isn't the most intuitive, but once you're used to it it allows you to play around with different arrangements really easily. Also has a 3D view mode which isn't amazing but can give you a better sense of scale.

Sorry I don't have any OS X suggestions!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Axiem posted:

Floorplanner.com

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Oh, then I don't know what's up with that option not working.

I figured it out, I think: I had to make sure Photos was in the Finder right-click > Share menu. Once I added it there, Add to Photos started working in Safari. No idea why one is dependent on the other, but there it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whoever made this decision regarding Apple Music is a disgrace to humanity:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Tweet to Eddie Cue & Phil & Hairforce One

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

If you go to Settings -> Music and set "Show Apple Music" to off, that goes away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arsten posted:

If you go to Settings -> Music and set "Show Apple Music" to off, that goes away.

No it's that they're the opposite sides on each one

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple slideshow program that has nice themes? I use Aperture to create pretty slideshows for events, but it's getting buggy and crashes a lot. Since it's unsupported and going to get worse, I'd like to find a replacement. I'd like something where I can drag and drop my photos in, pick a theme, and then play the slideshow. I'd like to be able to play the slideshow in-app on demand and also later export the slideshow to an MP4 file. It looks like the app store has a bunch of low rated apps so I'm hoping there's a diamond in the rough somewhere.

Edit: And I'd like something with nice themes because I want something fancier than Powerpoint transitions. I use the Vintage Prints theme in Aperture a lot.

Edit2: Foto Magico 5 looks like it might be it.

Violator fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 14, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I like how if you go from save the App Store back to Music it will load the Music Store.
Then if you click on My Music (or Playlists because why would you ever not) it will go back to the Music Store when it finally finished loading.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

Floorplanner.com

There's some software I'm willing to pay a subscription for. Floor planning software is not one of them. And I want to store the files locally in Dropbox, not in their cloud. And I don't want to pay 15 bucks a year just to print out a PDF of my floor plan.

So far, Room Arranger or Sweet Home 3D seem to be more along the lines of what we'd want. I'd just like to find something that was free or a reasonable price that had a nice, polished UI and is a well-designed solid piece of software that I'm confident will be around for the next ten to twenty years.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
:stare:

I'd just like to have a unicorn. Why can't anyone get me a unicorn?!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Axiem posted:

be around for the next ten to twenty years.

There is no way for anyone to say whether a piece of software will still be maintained in 2036

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

carry on then posted:

There is no way for anyone to say whether a piece of software will still be maintained in 2036

Windows XP :gary:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been trying for months to get some tech support for my copy of Windows 1.0.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

I've been trying for months to get some tech support for my copy of Windows 1.0.

Hit me up on Compuserve, I'll help you out.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Wow. Disk Utility on El Cap couldn't successfully format a USB stick. Pro.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

lord funk posted:

I was having trouble reformatting an SSD in a USB enclosure a while back. I finally gave up and did it in Boot Camp. No clue what the hell was going on there.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Axiem posted:

There's some software I'm willing to pay a subscription for. Floor planning software is not one of them. And I want to store the files locally in Dropbox, not in their cloud. And I don't want to pay 15 bucks a year just to print out a PDF of my floor plan.

So far, Room Arranger or Sweet Home 3D seem to be more along the lines of what we'd want. I'd just like to find something that was free or a reasonable price that had a nice, polished UI and is a well-designed solid piece of software that I'm confident will be around for the next ten to twenty years.

You know, if you want software to be maintained for 10- 20 years, you should probably consider paying $15 a year for it.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

carry on then posted:

Certainly we can't predict the future. But I'd be pretty confident that Microsoft Office or some file-format-compatible software will be around then.

cbirdsong posted:

You know, if you want software to be maintained for 10- 20 years, you should probably consider paying $15 a year for it.

Point taken, though it's also a matter of usage time and relative cost. I'm willing to pay 100$ a year for Microsoft Office because I use it nearly every day, and because it updates with enough frequency that staying up-to-date has value.

Whereas floorplan software is something that we'll use a lot when we first buy a house, and then once or twice a year (if even) for as long as we have the house. That makes 15$/year feel overexpensive to me.

And to be fair, the way we've been handling this in our old house for years is just the old-fashioned way: pencil and paper. If nothing out there really meets our requirements, we can just keep doing that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any easy way to get Finder to display the tags like the old label system, where the color stretches across the entire file name?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a way to put the weather forecast widget in the Dashboard onto my main screen?

If not, how do I set up the four finger swipe to get to the Dashboard?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

lord funk posted:

Disk Utility on El Cap is all looks and no brains.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Axiem posted:

Certainly we can't predict the future. But I'd be pretty confident that Microsoft Office or some file-format-compatible software will be around then.

Point taken, though it's also a matter of usage time and relative cost. I'm willing to pay 100$ a year for Microsoft Office because I use it nearly every day, and because it updates with enough frequency that staying up-to-date has value.

Whereas floorplan software is something that we'll use a lot when we first buy a house, and then once or twice a year (if even) for as long as we have the house. That makes 15$/year feel overexpensive to me.

And to be fair, the way we've been handling this in our old house for years is just the old-fashioned way: pencil and paper. If nothing out there really meets our requirements, we can just keep doing that.

How is it you expect a niche tool to stay in business? You're right, most people can't justify 15 a year for it... poo poo.. 15 ever for it. Given anyone making an app like that can probably barely pay themselves decently one time to make it how will it stay in business? I guess they should just not even make an app.

Also you're funny.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

How is it you expect a niche tool to stay in business? You're right, most people can't justify 15 a year for it... poo poo.. 15 ever for it. Given anyone making an app like that can probably barely pay themselves decently one time to make it how will it stay in business? I guess they should just not even make an app.

I'd consider 15$ upfront for such software to be perfectly reasonable, if it meets our needs (which is why we're probably going with Room Arranger, even though there's just something about its interface that bothers me)

But yes, I'm not entirely surprised there's not really anything out there that's what we want. I've just learned it never hurts to ask. :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a way to put the weather forecast widget in the Dashboard onto my main screen?
Not that I know of, but you can put Weather in your notification pop out (which opens with a two finger swipe starting at the right edge of the pad)

quote:

If not, how do I set up the four finger swipe to get to the Dashboard?
I thought it was there by default, but System Preferences - Trackpad - whatever the third tab is called (More Gestures?), I think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, three-finger app switching. Thanks.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Axiem posted:

we're probably going with Room Arranger, even though there's just something about its interface that bothers me

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I suggested it in the first place but I'd fully agree the interface is weird. It's like they didn't consider iOS guidelines at all and ported over desktop design ideas, with switches, textfields and labels haphazardly dropped all over the place.

Still it seems to be the best of a bad bunch; I would've loved to be corrected if you found a better example. Like benisntfunny says, this is a niche area that people need infrequently so "good enough" wins out.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You're basically looking for vector editing software like Adobe illustrator, Corel draw or Inkscape. And beyond that you really only need to draw basic shapes, color them and label them. Just use some design software. Why make it complicated?

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 17, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also saving your work in svg from Inkscape or whatever makes it a lot more likely that you will be able to dig the file out in 10 years to mess around with it again.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

The thought had occurred to me; I just need to convince my wife to go that direction.

I think we've beaten this horse to death. Let's get back to discussing password and weather apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, that's the only way to do it in OS X currently. I went ahead and tried it and it's been working great so far.

I have multiple connected active audio inputs and switch between outputs a lot, and haven't experienced any latency, even with my guitar input which is extremely fragile when it comes to audio system changes.

Being able to raise the volume of some specific apps (WebEx, argh) without maxing out loving Outlook sounds has been good for my sanity. Also PS 4 Remote Play can be comfortably present in the background without basically muting my system.

OS X really should have per-app volume controls.

I just found a new one that still requires a driver install (no getting around that, I imagine) but I like the interface a bit better.

https://github.com/kyleneideck/BackgroundMusic