Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

phone U I, I wont buy
phone U I, I wont buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The mobile's UI on FFIX isn't even that bad it's just scaled way too large for PC. Make the UI & Text Boxes like 50-60% smaller and it would be perfectly fine.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
most importantly, can you still change the window colour to blue, as it should be?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes, you can. This seems like a fine, if maybe not perfect, port.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

morallyobjected posted:

most importantly, can you still change the window colour to blue, as it should be?

Models are crisp as hell, load times are fairly short, the UI is an abomination lifted wholesale from the phone ports, praying that mods come quickly to fix this

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Just need to wait on mods for it, I guess :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, and to confirm now that I finally finished downloading it, yeah it looks like the port was cooked in Unity, lotta C# poo poo and Mono libraries. They probably took the original assets and then subcontracted that thai company to rebuild it from the ground up :stare:

Though it kinda begs the question why it didn't have a simultaneous launch since you can basically just click "compile for windows," but maybe they scaled some things up. I guess they offer different resolutions and window ratios, too.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 14, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The mobile's UI on FFIX isn't even that bad it's just scaled way too large for PC. Make the UI & Text Boxes like 50-60% smaller and it would be perfectly fine.

This would be good enough for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

also the game is 2x as big as it needs to be because it has the entire game in a 32bit folder and a 64 bit folder

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I never liked FF9's font but it's always a shame when mobile folks don't even try to match the style or fidelity of the text to anything surrounding it

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

corn in the bible posted:

also the game is 2x as big as it needs to be because it has the entire game in a 32bit folder and a 64 bit folder
Oh, that's...that's not good.

So they upscaled important character models, didn't bother with unimportant ones, and slapped a filter over the environments?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's actually an FMV with an overlaid character model for Vivi and that ticket that then snaps into in-game assets once the pan has finished. It looks fairly seemless on the PSX's 320x240 resolution, but obviously doesn't work at higher resolutions with the original FMV asset.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

YEP

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So they upscaled important character models, didn't bother with unimportant ones, and slapped a filter over the environments?

No, that's a consequence of not being able to upscale the FMV. That's from the very beginning where the original game did a visual trick of syncing a couple sprites to their position in an FMV so it could give the illusion of a seamlessly transition between movie and gameplay, but it only works when your active models are the same resolution as the ones in the video.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Those NPCs are part of a prerendered cutscene, there's no way to fix that. By far, the most impressive thing about the port are the HD cutscenes, really appreciated. Now... is it just me, or is something wrong with the sound quality? It's... not as clear as it should be.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

When Square and Enix merged they lost all the uncompressed background images. As such, there will never be a version of FFIX in which the backgrounds are uprezzed..... ever.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I mean, there's bits and pieces on the internet that would be neat to mod in, but yeah, we're not gonna ever see the full game looking like that. Shame, really.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the "hd cutscenes" switch between hd and original resolution sometimes within the same shot so it's uh it's uh pretty loving bad yeah

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

corn in the bible posted:

the "hd cutscenes" switch between hd and original resolution sometimes within the same shot so it's uh it's uh pretty loving bad yeah

I can live with that if it's only during those interactive cutscenes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also you cant even have non-filtered backgrounds which is something ff7 can do and which would make everything a lot less jarring since you could just play it at 480p and have it look normal

BUT NOPE

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

I never liked FF9's font but it's always a shame when mobile folks don't even try to match the style or fidelity of the text to anything surrounding it

The original font is a million times better

I dunno why Square's mobile ports always have such ugly menus

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It's me, Chara.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I mean, there's bits and pieces on the internet that would be neat to mod in, but yeah, we're not gonna ever see the full game looking like that. Shame, really.

Jesus, the amount of detail is ridiculous.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ok my bad, I was wrong. The skip battle intro option does cut out the panning, only for random encounters, but it just loads on a black screen for as long instead. :downs: The game performs absolutely no better than I gather it did on PS1.

E: Seriously SE stop outsourcing ports of beloved games to the lowest loving bidder.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 15, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Obviously this is something that's probably gonna vary from person to person to PC to PC, but the battle load times do feel a mite faster to me. It's not an enormous reduction, but I've sat through some long ones on the PSX. The pan over the battleground is the same, but the blurring colors, fade to black, and fade out of black are all much snappier on my end than they've ever been before. I still have memories of getting into random encounters and staring at a black screen with the music over it for three-to-five whole seconds, so the port is comparatively light on its feet.

Not big on the new UI, but I'll deal. The new naming screen bugs me more, honestly. On the whole, though, I'm satisfied.

I must've logged a minimum of 200+ hours into this game over the years and I only ever realized today that the conductor has a little mustache.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

phone U I, I wont buy

Yeah

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So this is a thing that should be easily solvable with GPU drivers or GeDoSaTo, but what is up with the lack of antialiasing options for the 3D geometry? It just makes it stand out even more from the blurry backgrounds.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The sound quality bothers me so, so much, it sounds stupidly compressed compared to the PS1. Like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Been awhile since I've done a challenge, any fun ones people have thought up recently? Thinking about FF9 Live off the Land (so no Chocographs) or maybe FF4 solo Rosa (ahahahahaha) or whatever else would be entertaining to stream.

Also realized a Salty Bet version of the Dragon's Neck Coliseum would be amazing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just picked up the Final Fantasy 9 PC version and so far I really love what they did with the graphic upgrade. The pre-rendered backgrounds are fuzzy but that's to be expected. But the character models are great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

Been awhile since I've done a challenge, any fun ones people have thought up recently? Thinking about FF9 Live off the Land (so no Chocographs) or maybe FF4 solo Rosa (ahahahahaha) or whatever else would be entertaining to stream.

Also realized a Salty Bet version of the Dragon's Neck Coliseum would be amazing.

FFX has loads of challenge options.

Or you can do FFVIII No Junction if you want to be slightly masochistic.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Man, Chocobo Hot&Cold is so busted with the speed up function. All animations are like 10 times faster but timers are unaffected.

This was my first attempt:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Southhouse- posted:

Man, Chocobo Hot&Cold is so busted with the speed up function. All animations are like 10 times faster but timers are unaffected.

This was my first attempt:

Be a complete sperg and abuse this until you can buy a Robe of Lords for Vivi.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So I've cruised through FFVII without much trouble or doing the extra stuff and now the final boss is wrecking me with Shadow Flare.

Played a bit of FFIX and the game is very charming.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What I love about 9 is how charming it can be and also how deep it can get. It was the first game that really got into the nitty gritty of dealing with death that I ever played. Just wait to you get to the black mage village.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So this is a thing that should be easily solvable with GPU drivers or GeDoSaTo, but what is up with the lack of antialiasing options for the 3D geometry? It just makes it stand out even more from the blurry backgrounds.

The explanation is that the backgrounds are prerendered and they lost the originals a long time ago.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/377840/manuals/%E3%83%9E%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB_final.pdf?t=1460625590

The manual for FF9 on steam doesn't really even attempt to explain the mechanics of Tetra Master, heh.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhFunny posted:

So I've cruised through FFVII without much trouble or doing the extra stuff and now the final boss is wrecking me with Shadow Flare.

mystiles give you a good ~50%+ chance to dodge that.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

LightReaper posted:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/377840/manuals/%E3%83%9E%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB_final.pdf?t=1460625590

The manual for FF9 on steam doesn't really even attempt to explain the mechanics of Tetra Master, heh.

Has anyone figured out exactly what they were going for with the FFIX card game?

It was just so jarring after Triple Triad to have a game full of random chance elements, with little to no tutorial beyond "put cards here and use arrows to capture" and very few tangible rewards in the end.

(even if the tangible rewards were a mixed blessing for FFVIII's already questionable game balance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Elentor posted:

Unless the entire screen moves can't I do a simple GetPixel, see if the pixel of the rope is changing and send the key accordingly?

Did you get this working? I haven't used autohotkey before so it's a bit too hard for me, but with just a macro mouse clicking all the time I got over 600 jumps and then it just failed.

I used getpixelcolor for something in the ! but it kept flickering on and off and triggering the jump too often, then setting a sleep makes it fail at some point.

edit: nvm got it with 9ms

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 15, 2016