Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

While it is pretty lovely for an entire OS to impose itself on you when it feels like it, and with very little warning (15 mins is not enough for something that big), I find it somewhat extraordinary that someone would see a window pop up with a countdown timer, think 'huh, that's a thing I guess', then just minimize it and go about their business and be surprised when something happens.

There wasn't 15 minutes of warning, there was going on 8 months of warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

The bizarrest thing that occurred for me when installing Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) on top of the Windows 7 (32-bit) VM (just to make sure it detected a licensed copy to hedge my bets on using the Win7 key) was that on the first reboot, I got a dual-boot menu asking me to pick between Win 7 and Win 10...despite putting Windows 10 on top of the Win 7 NTFS partition. I just picked Windows 10 and it booted fine and the menu didn't appear on subsequent boots, so no idea what was up with that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My favorite was when I had a computer crash and actually REALLY wanted to get win10 on my PC that had been running 7 that ate itself, I put 7 on it, then went to upgrade to 7 and it fought me tooth and nail to try and install it and I gave up, eventually I built a new PC and wiped the old one and win 10 finally went on it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are Nvidia's drivers in Windows 10 problematic? I ask because I installed the newest certified drivers and I'm still getting weird stuff happen like my 660Ti running at full clock speed at the desktop when I'm not running a game and when I do run a game the boost clockspeed on the GPU won't engage. Rebooting seems to fix it at least for a while anyway.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

While it is pretty lovely for an entire OS to impose itself on you when it feels like it, and with very little warning (15 mins is not enough for something that big), I find it somewhat extraordinary that someone would see a window pop up with a countdown timer, think 'huh, that's a thing I guess', then just minimize it and go about their business and be surprised when something happens.

To be fair I didn't minimize the window, I closed it and there was no notification that the countdown would continue when I closed that window. I just expressed my dissatisfaction with the fact that my system was arbitrarily taken from my control and for some reason posters here feel this should now be an expected behavior of their OS. Windows 10 seems not terrible, and so far is fairly interchangeable with the 8.1 system it updated, I just would have preferred to schedule the upgrade for when I could have properly backed up my system, wiped the drive and did a clean install not "I see you went to check your email with your coffee this morning, buckle up buckaroo!" Prior to this every time I got a window about upgrading I just closed them and they went away.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

spasticColon posted:

Are Nvidia's drivers in Windows 10 problematic? I ask because I installed the newest certified drivers and I'm still getting weird stuff happen like my 660Ti running at full clock speed at the desktop when I'm not running a game and when I do run a game the boost clockspeed on the GPU won't engage. Rebooting seems to fix it at least for a while anyway.
GeForce drivers have been pretty hosed since March across every Windows.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ghostlight posted:

GeForce drivers have been pretty hosed since March across every Windows.

Oh goody; Kepler owners are starting to get The Fermi Experience.

I wonder how NV is going to ruin gaming in the GPGPU world to keep people from using GeForce cards as Quadros.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Space Cadet posted:

I just would have preferred to schedule the upgrade for when I could have properly backed up my system, wiped the drive and did a clean install

And they gave you 8 months to do this, which you chose not to do.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I actually hope the free optional update ends after a year because it becomes a free mandatory update. With a variance for enterprises to start stomping on vendor junk (in the figurative lawyers in conference rooms sense, hopefully not literally) if they try to use it as an extortion opportunity.

With SCADA and smart medicine and smart everything else the Internet has become too legitimately serious business to let Windows XP happen again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how does the automatic update works? I'm currently getting these spammy popups from the notification area every once in a while, will it just start installing itself eventually? I don't think I did anything to opt-in here.

Space Cadet posted:

To be fair I didn't minimize the window, I closed it and there was no notification that the countdown would continue when I closed that window. I just expressed my dissatisfaction with the fact that my system was arbitrarily taken from my control and for some reason posters here feel this should now be an expected behavior of their OS. Windows 10 seems not terrible, and so far is fairly interchangeable with the 8.1 system it updated, I just would have preferred to schedule the upgrade for when I could have properly backed up my system, wiped the drive and did a clean install not "I see you went to check your email with your coffee this morning, buckle up buckaroo!" Prior to this every time I got a window about upgrading I just closed them and they went away.

At least you'll be now used to the Win10 experience where the system just randomly decides to start installing updates and restarts itself as it pleases.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Ok so now I've got Windows 10 up to build 10586, I had to use an installation disc because Windows Update on the older build didn't work. Now I don't have any network connectivity despite it working on the previous build and on W7... The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P which has a Realtek RTL8111D network adapter onboard. I've tried installing the latest drivers from Realtek and they don't work. I don't have any third-party antivirus software, I've disabled Windows Defender for the time being, I've tried running the installer as admin, I've tried manually installing the drivers, I've tried older drivers, nothing seems to work. Anyone had to deal with this before?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Why is Windows 10 locking me out of my other hard drives? I can't find any pattern. Some folders require Administrator access and I have to click Ok every. single. time. to access them. Then there are files that I am outright not allowed to use, with an error message saying I don't have the permissions to access the file. These drives had absolutely no permissions set, whatever that means, nor did I restrict anything behind Administrator.

How do I get rid of this nonsense?

Node fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 15, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Node posted:

Why is Windows 10 locking me out of my other hard drives? I can't find any pattern. Some folders require Administrator access and I have to click Ok every. single. time. to access them. Then there are files that I am outright not allowed to use, with an error message saying I don't have the permissions to access the file. These drives had absolutely no permissions set, whatever that means, nor did I restrict anything behind Administrator.

How do I get rid of this nonsense?

Take ownership and replace all permissions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Riso posted:

Take ownership and replace all permissions.

Would you mind elaborating on that process?

If I go to the drive's properties, go to the security tab, click advanced, it displays Owner: (Node\Administrators) at the top. In the permission entries, Node\Administrators has full control of the drive.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Node posted:

Would you mind elaborating on that process?

If I go to the drive's properties, go to the security tab, click advanced, it displays Owner: (Node\Administrators) at the top. In the permission entries, Node\Administrators has full control of the drive.

Here is the complete process, visually. Note that depending on how many files (not the SIZES of the files, but the actual file count) this can take some time. It will also error 100% of the time on System Volume Information and about 50% of the time on $Recycler. Ignore these errors to keep it moving.

The name check step is also slightly wrong, put in the full username of your current account (note that Microsoft accounts don't use the username of email@domain.com they use five or six letters from the start of your email. To see what this is, go to C:\Users\ and see what first several letters match your microsoft account email).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Space Cadet posted:

MS are taking a PR hit in order to get Win10 to as many people as possible. The conspiracy~~ is this is done because MS make massive piles of cash selling all your data they steal from you (any evidence whatsoever still pending) -- but in reality it's a desire to migrate their userbase.

There are still fucksticks using XP because "lol just works" and supporting ancient OSes with weaker security architecture is a debt MS desperately want to stop paying as soon as possible. If they can, going forward, eliminate or mitigate the problem of having 2-3 different OSs still being supported there will be much less money wasted backporting security patches and features.
Win10 stands as an ultimate solution to that problem, so it's no surprise they're trying to get people moved up.

Remember this includes users who probably couldn't even tell you what OS they are running. Getting these people moved up to a more secure system, with auto-updates as standard, is a massive boon to security and a disincentive to malware authors everywhere.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments. They're a company that sells a product to end users. MasterLock doesn't get to decide to change your locks because they decide they're not secure enough. Pillsbury doesn't switch the cookie dough in your fridge for a flavor they think you should be eating instead. Being a software company doesn't change this principle. The consumer decides how to use your product, and if they get hurt by misusing it then that's their problem. It doesn't matter if some people have insecure systems, the company doesn't get to override their choice. That's the job of a government, not a corporation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that?

Because people like you spent 15 years delaying updates and causing a problem for everyone else with your unpatched systems.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Because the US allows companies to make users sign away their rights to stop bullshit like that by calling it a license and saying they get to do whatever they want in the UELA. Europe as a whole is too much of a pussy to outright put a stop to it, so we get to suffer along.

Your analogy doesn't fly because you don't own the software, you're just allowed to use it within the constraints set up by Microsoft.
When you buy a physical product, you own it* and get to decide what happens to it. When you buy software you don't own it, you --through expansive anti-consumer lobbying of the industry-- should be grateful to be allowed to have the developer's excrement smeared all over your face while using their software in the specific way they want you to use it.

And now that a big company is using these scummy rights to push out their new product for free everyone is up in arms, while attempts to prevent it from happening are actively hindered.

I don't like the way MS is pushing this stuff and I am right there besides you in claiming they shouldn't be allowed to force these things. But you've made your bed and now you get to lie in it.
Microsoft provided ways to stop the upgrade to Windows 10 from happening and they have been available for a while. If you really didn't want Windows 10, maybe you should've taken the incessant nag screens as a cue to figure out how to properly make them go away instead of ignoring the issue and then complaining after the fact.

*More and more products are trying to state that they remain in whole- or part property of the producers.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments. They're a company that sells a product to end users. MasterLock doesn't get to decide to change your locks because they decide they're not secure enough. Pillsbury doesn't switch the cookie dough in your fridge for a flavor they think you should be eating instead. Being a software company doesn't change this principle. The consumer decides how to use your product, and if they get hurt by misusing it then that's their problem. It doesn't matter if some people have insecure systems, the company doesn't get to override their choice. That's the job of a government, not a corporation.

Found the malware author, guys.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

An Angry Bug posted:

Switch to Linux if you don't like it :shobon:

Do I think it's cool that they make that choice for you. No, not really, however, as someone who spent a chunk of their life cleaning up after people who didn't upgrade/update their poo poo I have to give a nod to MS for having the balls to do this.

The quicker everyone moves onto a more uniform platform the better. I can throw a 10GB .csv file (don't ask) at Power BI and it will easily eat up 30+GB of memory and then let me do wonderful things to it. Excel, gently caress you because it still has a TON of legacy code in it.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Well excuse me for not somehow stopping the lobbying of multinational corporations.

fishmech posted:

Because people like you spent 15 years delaying updates and causing a problem for everyone else with your unpatched systems.
This makes no sense. How exactly does my computer, which is regularly scanned, updated and backed up, harm others? It's not infected, it doesn't distribute harmful files, and it just uses the internet and programs like it's meant to. Having it around doesn't endanger anyone.

Geemer posted:

If you really didn't want Windows 10, maybe you should've taken the incessant nag screens as a cue to figure out how to properly make them go away instead of ignoring the issue and then complaining after the fact.

*More and more products are trying to state that they remain in whole- or part property of the producers.
I did, though. I'm staying on Windows 7 until Windows 10 or its successor stops being broken data-mining garbage.

Stanley Pain posted:

The quicker everyone moves onto a more uniform platform the better. I can throw a 10GB .csv file (don't ask) at Power BI and it will easily eat up 30+GB of memory and then let me do wonderful things to it. Excel, gently caress you because it still has a TON of legacy code in it.
The uniform platform is poorly tested, is ugly, and lacks previous functionality. It's a downgrade that breaks compatibility with older programs and tries to monetize previously free features. When a product line starts dropping in quality, it's perfectly justified to not use the newer versions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

An Angry Bug posted:

This makes no sense. How exactly does my computer, which is regularly scanned, updated and backed up, harm others? It's not infected, it doesn't distribute harmful files, and it just uses the internet and programs like it's meant to. Having it around doesn't endanger anyone.

Backing it up does nothing to prevent malware, and I doubt your adherence to timely updates considering how upset you are about Windows 10, which forces timely updates. There are so many people who insist on procrastinating on that stuff, and that's how malware is able to spread much faster than it otherwise would.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

[quote="fishmech" post="458746515"]
Backing it up does nothing to prevent malware, and I doubt your adherence to timely updates considering how upset you are about Windows 10, which forces timely updates. There are so many people who insist on procrastinating on that stuff, and that's how malware is able to spread much faster than it otherwise would.
[/quotetto... Really? Look, just because someone disagrees with you on there merit if forced auto updates doesn't mean they're the software updates equivalent of a Captain Planet villain. Look, I don't like Windows 10 requiring auto updates, but I will literally install updates on my personal machines unless I have a reason I've heard of on both my Linux and Windows setups as soon as there pop-up comes up informing me if new updates, and reboot within a day if relevant. I liked having the capacity to ignore faulty updates (or decline it repeatedly trying to install stuff like Bing Desktop or Skype or Silverlight, all attack surfaces, into a VM used to run two specific apps.) I have family members machines i set up configured for automatic updates within their OS version. (Not for upgrades to Windows 10, because one would throw a giant ball of unending complaints about the new UI, and the other's wireless card would break due to driver issues that aren't mostly Microsoft's fault.)

But hey, clearly this is all lies by the malware author conspiracy and I'm a cardboard cutout with a SA account to ruin internet security forever or something. Jeez.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

"hurf blurf windows XP" is a bad reason to support this. Just you wait until they take what they have called the "last version of Windows" into the pay-by-month/pay-by-year realm like they did with Office. Now everyone will be running Windows 10 systems unpatched while the Windows 7 system they upgraded from would have received free patches until, what, 2020? And windows 8.1 ends in 2023. Welcome back to the days of Windows XP.

And even if you don't want to buy that that will happen (just wait, their cash cow needs income to make the shareholders happy), the sheer number of issues with Windows 10 is staggering. File History doesn't even work properly. Plus, the forced updates (that it keeps resetting to with random update installations, by the way, and away from "Ask me to schedule a time" setting) appear to have about six minutes of QA as two separate updates from Windows 10 have forced me to actually restore from backups (once it was nice enough to interrupt my backup to force a restart).

Windows 10 has a lot of teething left to do. People staying on Windows 7 or 8.1 is perfectly fine at this stage and Microsoft forcing an upgrade which is obviously designed to line their pockets (UWP commonality and possible data mining) and do little useful for the users.

I can't want until Windows 10 2017 turns out to be Vista Reborn, driver model and/or performance wise, and see what you think of that forced upgrade. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsten posted:

"hurf blurf windows XP" is a bad reason to support this. Just you wait until they take what they have called the "last version of Windows" into the pay-by-month/pay-by-year realm like they did with Office.

You can still buy the one time payment and updates for about 5 years Office just as you've been able to since 1990. Office 365 is strictly an option.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

There wasn't 15 minutes of warning, there was going on 8 months of warning.

That would be valid if Microsoft had told people "we're going to update you to windows 10 in april". That's not what happened.

What's with all the worries about "another XP"? The biggest problem with XP was all the pirated computers not installing updates at all, a problem windows 10 does not magically fix.

For someone installing updates, XP can use this one weird trick to keep getting them until 2019. If the support burden was really that big on Microsoft, I seriously doubt they would have still been selling a version in 2009 with a decade of support.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dylan16807 posted:

That would be valid if Microsoft had told people "we're going to update you to windows 10 in april". That's not what happened.

What's with all the worries about "another XP"? The biggest problem with XP was all the pirated computers not installing updates at all, a problem windows 10 does not magically fix.

For someone installing updates, XP can use this one weird trick to keep getting them until 2019. If the support burden was really that big on Microsoft, I seriously doubt they would have still been selling a version in 2009 with a decade of support.

I don't support the subterfuge, but I feel like it's clear that this is a reaction to the drawn-out Windows XP end of life which is something Microsoft really didn't like and is willing to go to great lengths to prevent repeating with 7 and 8. I imagine the extra decade of support for the Embedded version is not something they advertised because if everyone knew they could get it, then it would be taken for granted and they'd be asking for even more extensions. This is also a reaction to the fact that because of its market-dominating position, Windows has a lot of users that are very low skill and know nothing about upgrading or troubleshooting any issues that upgrading causes. These people usually either don't care enough to upgrade or are scared to, so by hook or crook Microsoft would like to get them there.

Fundamentally, MS would rather force-upgrade and maybe break a few features that most people don't notice and piss off a few people than allow many more to stay on 7 and 8 through ignorance or inaction. I'm sure they would cite security reasons for this, and there's some validity to that. I can also totally believe there's some data mining reasons for that, although I've seen multiple people point out that they could backport data mining to 7 and 8 too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with staying on 7 or 8 if that's what you want to do but clearly Microsoft really doesn't want that, has been sending signals to that effect since the free upgrade was announced, and is willing to step up their measures to drag more people in so I think anyone making that their plan should be wary of what updates they download and what buttons they're clicking. For anyone who is planning on upgrading to 10 but hasn't already, it has been months so I don't know what you're waiting for.

Ed.: vvv yeah forgot to address that, it does force-update you even on Pro

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 15, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

Er, yes it does. It does force updates, unless you're using the Enterprise version which you can't get for free.

Dylan16807 posted:

They repeatedly told people they'd be updated in the future. It didn't come out of nowhere.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Whizbang posted:

And they gave you 8 months to do this, which you chose not to do.

Because I did not want to do it until I had time to do it properly and actually had a desire to make the change. I had 8 months of MS pushing the update at me asking me to upgrade with me for 8 months saying no. I didn't tell them not now, I didn't tell them I would later, and I certainly didn't tell them yesterday morning was a great time to do it. You would think after 8 months no should equal no, I really can't figure out why there are actual MS apologists defending this lovely forced upgrade process.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Space Cadet posted:

Because I did not want to do it until I had time to do it properly and actually had a desire to make the change. I had 8 months of MS pushing the update at me asking me to upgrade with me for 8 months saying no. I didn't tell them not now, I didn't tell them I would later, and I certainly didn't tell them yesterday morning was a great time to do it. You would think after 8 months no should equal no, I really can't figure out why there are actual MS apologists defending this lovely forced upgrade process.

Because not having forced upgrades has been horrible for the internet.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

You can still buy the one time payment and updates for about 5 years Office just as you've been able to since 1990. Office 365 is strictly an option.

Right now. But they've already stated that this option was going to come to an end. Whether 2016 is the last version isn't my point.

fishmech posted:

According to comcast, Netflix has been horrible for the internet.

Oh wait, both declarations are statements of self-interest by parties like Microsoft and Comcast who have completely different motives for saying these things in an official capacity. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsten posted:

Right now. But they've already stated that this option was going to come to an end. Whether 2016 is the last version isn't my point.

Oh wait, both declarations are statements of self-interest by parties like Microsoft and Comcast who have completely different motives for saying these things in an official capacity. :v:

No version is going to be the last version.

Netflix was in fact horrible for the internet because they chose a really stupid way to attempt to deliver their content, which no one else did because they knew it was a terrible idea.

Similarly, people refusing to update their computers or taking forever to do it are provably responsible for massive amounts of malware and other internet crap. This wasn't some idea invented by Microsoft last week.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Arsten posted:

I agree that Microsoft has self-interested reasons to do this, but they also have somewhat legitimate security reasons to do it too so I'm not sure what that changes.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

Yet I wound up in this predicament because I do keep my systems up to date, every system in my house is updated regularly and automatically with the exception of not wanting an OS level change without my express consent.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Space Cadet posted:

Because I did not want to do it until I had time to do it properly and actually had a desire to make the change.

What conditions would qualify, to your satisfaction, as "time to do it properly" and "a desire to make the change"?

An Angry Bug posted:

What do the words 'social contract' mean to you? Just curious.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Even Apple's IOS updateer asks you if you want to install it and you're welcome to delay it until IT says it's ok or whatever.

I'd be perfectly fine with MS doing all the updates automatically by default as long as there was a way to fine tune their behavior like it was possible in Win7. As it is, even with the GP setting it's still not doing what I want. Their update servers are getting straight blocked if/when I need to use 10 as the main system.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments.

If you have a competent IT department, your IT-managed install of Windows 7 should never prompt you to install Windows 10.

If you don't have an IT department, then you get what Microsoft wants to give you because it's better that there's someone out there looking out for your system and trying to keep it safe and up to date than nobody doing it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
^^^ Yeah, I had Win 8.1 enterprise and had to do a manual Win 10 upgrade.

I'm so confused cause I've been on Win 10 Pro forever, and I delay updates for weeks at a time with no issue, and have never had a surprise restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

The only thing I wish I had a little more personal control over is driver updates. Is there a way to successfully do that on Windows 10 Pro? I found a few policies that are supposed to control that, but they don't seem to work.