Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Discendo Vox posted:

Alton Brown's apparently a lifelong Southern Baptist, but not one of the really horrible congregations.

He apparently abandoned SBC right before/during/after his divorce, saying it's due to their hideous stances on LGBT folks. The whole period seems to have been incredibly painful for him, but his douchebaggery came down a bit after it so maybe there's some relation?

Anyway, I'll probably still buy his book and go to his event if he ever hits NYC when I can go, but Kenji Is My Master Now (seriously, I've never made edible falafel before and his recipe from last month is crazy easy and good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Marta Velasquez posted:

He wanted a gimmick where he didn't have any tweets to exist over 24 hours. He wanted to have the "freshest" tweets, so he deleted everything over a day old every day.

An account was created called Good Retweets (genius name) with the Alton Brown puppet as its avatar. It retweeted everything AB tweeted. AB closed his account and melted down on his blog. A month or so later (I'm guessing Food Network made him), he reactivated his account. He also wiped his blog. He also "tweeted" by writing on a Post-It and taking a picture so it couldn't be indexed.

I think he still does the Post-It thing and deletes tweets, but I don't think he brings it up anymore. I'd check but I'm phone posting.

AB: "Jeremy, can you explain this to me?"
Intern: "This is the tweet you had me post yesterday, sir."
AB: "Yesterday? Interesting, interesting. Because you tweeted this at 9AM, which was 26 hours ago!"
Intern: "But at the meeting we all agreed-"
AB: "The cut-off time is 24 hours, Jeremy! You think celebrities stay celebrities forever? We need to have the freshest tweets! Fresher than a sustainable farm raised trout flopping around on the hook!"
Intern: "I'm sorry, Mr Brown!"
AB: "These tweets need to be so cutting edge that you'll bleed from typing them!"

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I just checked now that I'm on a PC. He still does the Post-It thing most of the time, but he gave up on the 24-hour thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nooner posted:

YES DAMMIT THER EWAS CHEESE A LOT IT WAS JUST COVERED BY ALL THE TOPPINGS lol everyonew is ragging on me for this...

but okay like so i pretty much just turned the pan on and dumped in the meat, in this case I should have let it get like pretty hot first before addign the meat im guessing?

When you are browning the meat, you want to get a nice crusty layer of maillard reaction going. If you put too much meat in the pan at once, a bunch of water is released into the pan. The water will start boiling because the pan is hot, but it won't go over 100C because the energy is all going to turning water into steam. Then you end up with 'gray' meat with no crusty brown goodness. To prevent that, you can do the meat in smaller batches, or crank the heat up enough that the water is boiled off instantly and can't pool up in the pan. Or probably both.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Force de Fappe posted:

This is some modern Scandinavian poo poo, to be fair. Not everywhere but enough to be a nuisance on the regular.

Is it? I honestly thought it was something outside.. I mean...

Unless it is that awful mindfullness poo poo they mean..

Goddamnit - it is - isn't it?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I made mozzarella cheese for the first time last weekend and it went very well. I want to make it again, but start playing around with it a bit. If I was going to add a liquid ingredient, such as liquid smoke, would that be in the milk stage or after the curds have separated from the whey? I'm assuming any dry herbs would be added after the curd stage.

Also does anyone have any tips on cleaning a fine mesh strainer? It took me about 45 minutes to get all of the cheese out of that thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AFewBricksShy posted:

Also does anyone have any tips on cleaning a fine mesh strainer? It took me about 45 minutes to get all of the cheese out of that thing.

Next time use cheesecloth instead? :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Never cleaned cheese out of one, but the sprayer on my sink does a good job at blasting the bits out of the strainer.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AFewBricksShy posted:

Freeze it and bang it on something maybe. Immerse in an alkaline cleaner. Boil.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

I feel like I don't "get" Nooner's posting. Are we supposed to laugh at the kerazy antics of an "ironic" idiot, or is he genuinely just a bit of a fool?

Because I don't think he's funny enough to be ironic, but I'm not sure he's realistic enough to be an actual moron...

I guess maybe it's American humour.

Nooner is genuinely unsure about how to Cook Well, so is always receptive to advice about it. I'd say that's the sign of a newbie, and not a moron. A moron would be someone who insists that their semi homemade Sandra Lee crap is gold. That's not nooner. He's overall a sweetheart, and it's kind of a dick move to be mean to him.

ALSO. There's this guy who posts his Greek recipes on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrsIyxi8Htc

He's like a Greek Maangchi, down to the thick rear end accent you could cut with a knife. His recipes are pretty easy to follow. It's all in metric, but he does provide conversions.

dino. fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 15, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, what do you like to eat or cook? If you just want to learn about cooking fundamentals, Ratio is fantastic. To cover everything under the sun, you cant go wrong with The Joy Of Cooking. Even though he's fallen out of favor (for being a douchebag), any of the guides by Alton Brown are still fun (especially if you get one with the fridge magnets) I think we did have a cook book thread at some point.

Best place to get cook books is the local Goodwill. Just browse, flip though things. Pick what you like.

\/\/Aw, but nothing beats leafing through a cookbook at breakfast while you plan what you'll do for dinner, then spend the whole day thinking about all those good recipe ideas... \/\/

I'm totally getting Ratio! Though it seems to be oriented towards :words: about pastry/carb-y mixes, and I'm looking more for basic bullshit dinners like chicken breast in sauce or a ragu (also trying to eat less carb). I am well aware of the internet and I get by fine by looking poo poo up on Youtube, but I guess I just like physical books.

There is one notable cookbook I own:

Every single recipe in it looks awful and overengineered/overelaborate as gently caress. The last thing I want is to have to buy a bunch of otherwise useless, relatively expensive ingredients to make something that I probably won't even like. I like recipes that don't require me to waste money! Jesus.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

The last thing I want is to have to buy a bunch of otherwise useless, relatively expensive ingredients to make something that I probably won't even like. I like recipes that don't require me to waste money! Jesus.

Don't buy any book with a Food Network star on the cover.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Nooner refused to make shakshuka so he must be put to death

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Marta Velasquez posted:

I didn't buy it. My mom did :saddowns: She got excited when I told her I was learning to cook.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pollyanna posted:

I'm totally getting Ratio! Though it seems to be oriented towards :words: about pastry/carb-y mixes, and I'm looking more for basic bullshit dinners like chicken breast in sauce or a ragu (also trying to eat less carb). I am well aware of the internet and I get by fine by looking poo poo up on Youtube, but I guess I just like physical books.

While I'm not one for cookbooks (unless they have a story or something special about them like Ottolenghi) I'm fond of Jacques Pepin for general purpose cooking tutorials. He's like a cute French-American grandpa that loves to tell you how to chop garlic.

I can't tell you anything about his books, but he has a bunch of shows on youtube.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Marta Velasquez posted:

Don't buy a cookbook with an attractive person on the cover, other than maybe Christina Tosi

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Steve Yun posted:

Don't buy a cookbook with an attractive person on the cover, other than maybe Christina Tosi

Does Gordon Ramsay count

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Does Gordon Ramsay count

If you're attracted to sedimentary rock formations

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

If you're attracted to sedimentary rock formations

I find him very handsome

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

taqueso posted:

When you are browning the meat, you want to get a nice crusty layer of maillard reaction going. If you put too much meat in the pan at once, a bunch of water is released into the pan. The water will start boiling because the pan is hot, but it won't go over 100C because the energy is all going to turning water into steam. Then you end up with 'gray' meat with no crusty brown goodness. To prevent that, you can do the meat in smaller batches, or crank the heat up enough that the water is boiled off instantly and can't pool up in the pan. Or probably both.

okay see I had no idea about this, now that you mention it there was kind of a lot of water at the bottom of the pan I just kinda cooked it until it all steamed out. Preheated pan on higher heat with smaller batches next time it is, thank you! (:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jyrraeth posted:

While I'm not one for cookbooks (unless they have a story or something special about them like Ottolenghi) I'm fond of Jacques Pepin for general purpose cooking tutorials. He's like a cute French-American grandpa that loves to tell you how to chop garlic.

I can't tell you anything about his books, but he has a bunch of shows on youtube.

Thanks, I've been looking for a primer on basic technique stuff. I can't chop onions for poo poo and I hate it.

I feel like there should be a lot of really simple recipes out there that don't rely on more than 5 or 6 ingredients to make a good meal. Roasted chicken, a steak, some sort of pasta, braised dishes, something. There has to be a minimalist's cookbook out there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Google "minimalist cookbook"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Nooner posted:

okay see I had no idea about this, now that you mention it there was kind of a lot of water at the bottom of the pan I just kinda cooked it until it all steamed out. Preheated pan on higher heat with smaller batches next time it is, thank you! (:

A good rule of thumb is color is flavor... golden brown everything almost always tastes better

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Or Martin Yan.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Something I've been thinking about off and on...

When I do steaks and crank the stove from 3KW and all the way to 8KW output on one plate (high loving heat - let's make something glow) - I find that yes, the crust forms perfectly, but it takes the same time, and the heat simply doesn't penetrate as well into the meat - I always end up with blue/rare steak at high heat - where I can easier hit medium rare/nice crust on lower heat (and keeping the same times)...

I've experimented around with this quite a bit - but have no idea why this is - it seems like there's something insulating the steak from the heat or something when I crank it up too high, or is it just me who got my head wrapped around this wrong?

Is there an explanation? Ideas?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been cooking some steak recently, and have been thinking about the same thing.

what works for me, is A., make sure your steak is room temperature to begin with, throughout. Like, take it out an hour before cooking. Then, do the ultra high heat and get the crust for 2-3 minutes per side, and then if you feel the steak and it's still blue, keep on flipping every 30sec-min. Once it gets rare/rare+ by touch, pull it off the heat, onto a plate, and let it rest for 5-10minutes, which will let the heat spread and even out the temp.

It's probably just easier to hit the crust/temp sweet spot if you use slow cooking if you aren't prepping your steaks well in advance - and aren't hovering over watching your steak every 15 seconds.

I prefer the long prep, then 5 minute ultra high heat cook method, but pulling a steak out of the fridge and into a pan on low heat probably would work just as well. just different approaches.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Midniter posted:

One time in an interview I got asked what my favorite baseball team was and an FBI SWAT team immediately busted into the room and brutally murdered all the offending middle managers.

I dont think the FBI has SWAT teams.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I dont think the FBI has SWAT teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Special_Weapons_and_Tactics_Teams

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks, I've been looking for a primer on basic technique stuff. I can't chop onions for poo poo and I hate it.

I feel like there should be a lot of really simple recipes out there that don't rely on more than 5 or 6 ingredients to make a good meal. Roasted chicken, a steak, some sort of pasta, braised dishes, something. There has to be a minimalist's cookbook out there.

This free e-cookbook is great and exactly what you want. I think others here agree because I think I originally found out about it from GWS.

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/06/a-free-e-cookbook/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

I've been cooking some steak recently, and have been thinking about the same thing.

what works for me, is A., make sure your steak is room temperature to begin with, throughout. Like, take it out an hour before cooking. Then, do the ultra high heat and get the crust for 2-3 minutes per side, and then if you feel the steak and it's still blue, keep on flipping every 30sec-min. Once it gets rare/rare+ by touch, pull it off the heat, onto a plate, and let it rest for 5-10minutes, which will let the heat spread and even out the temp.

It's probably just easier to hit the crust/temp sweet spot if you use slow cooking if you aren't prepping your steaks well in advance - and aren't hovering over watching your steak every 15 seconds.

I prefer the long prep, then 5 minute ultra high heat cook method, but pulling a steak out of the fridge and into a pan on low heat probably would work just as well. just different approaches.

The room temp thing is a myth. An hour out of the fridge and your steak will still be 40ish in the center.

What you want to do is sear the poo poo out of it and put it in a low oven and bring it up to temp, or sear the poo poo out of it and keep flipping until it's up to temp. I do the former at home, and the latter at work. Both work well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like to do the reverse sear, the long-ish exposure to low heat really helps dry the exterior of the steak (I put it on a rack so both sides dry evenly) and makes a crust super easy to achieve.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I didn't get my business class flight but I did get a room at the Bellagio and the producer I am meeting out there said she will spring for the buffet and drinks.

My gf claims that I am a spoiled brat and while there is some truth to that, for the most part I have found that just asking/demanding stuff usually works pretty well if you have any ability to read people and figure out what they want to hear. I guess I am more aggressive then most people but like, everything in life is negotiable and, so long as your aren't a dick, rarely does asking hurt anything.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I just throw the steak in a bag and sous vide it at 54C for 30-60 minutes, then sear on a NASA hot grill one minute per side.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bongwizzard posted:

I didn't get my business class flight but I did get a room at the Bellagio and the producer I am meeting out there said she will spring for the buffet and drinks.

My gf claims that I am a spoiled brat and while there is some truth to that, for the most part I have found that just asking/demanding stuff usually works pretty well if you have any ability to read people and figure out what they want to hear. I guess I am more aggressive then most people but like, everything in life is negotiable and, so long as your aren't a dick, rarely does asking hurt anything.

Hey, you're working so you may as well try perking

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll be in Vegas next week; where should I go for breakfast? I'll be near the convention center.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bouchon is still my favourite breakfast near the strip. If you can make it downtown, though, check out eat. Really good.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

If you're around on the weekend taxi to Sweets Raku for their "lunch" (actually a brunch) service. It's the best deal in town.

Wiggles is right about Bouchon (order the benedict if it's offered, they rarely do it) and Eat. On-Strip there's also Hash House A Go-Go, which is good for the spectacle of five-pound plates of food and buttermilk biscuits the size of your head.

There's also SkinnyFATS, which gets a lot of love for managing to transcend stupid gimmicky menu names and somehow produce very good food.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Regardin steaks I tend to get the best results if I use a mediumish heat and flip and move the steak frequently. Sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eHFhaocni0

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

I just throw the steak in a bag and sous vide it at 54C for 30-60 minutes, then sear on a NASA hot grill one minute per side.

yeah this also

but come on show a little respect for happy hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sous vide might be more precise but it loses the male romanticism that cast iron is all about. The roar, the sear and the pure ferociousness. It's as close to art that throwing a slab of meat a hot piece of iron can get.