Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is kids show adjacent, but I just started reading the new Power Rangers comic from Boom Studios and hoo boy, that's a good comic! It's weird to see Mighty Morphin with....good writing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Corek posted:

Cow and Chicken was already being phased out when I started watching CN as a kid. I think it was the first of the Cartoon Cartoons to end.

You'd be correct: Looking it up, the final episode of Cow and Chicken premiered in late July '99 (I think it was after the show ended that I Am Weasel spun off into it's own show where the episodes of it's cow and chicken run were combined into individual half hours while a further 9 half hours worth of episodes were produced)

In an alternate reality where Dexter's Lab never got revived Dexter's Lab technically would've been the 2nd to go (the final episode of Tartakovsky's run was in summer of '98 (before powerpuff girls premiered) while Ego Trip was december '99)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Really? I thought the original run was much longer than that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

raditts posted:

Really? I thought the original run was much longer than that.

Well this was before CN stopped rerunning their old shows after a few months of them ending, so Dexter's Lab was still being reran back when the revival happened

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

This is kids show adjacent, but I just started reading the new Power Rangers comic from Boom Studios and hoo boy, that's a good comic! It's weird to see Mighty Morphin with....good writing!

Any comic that starts with a Kobayashi maru has got to be good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man the "revival" seasons of Dexter were weird as hell

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 5, 2017

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
There's a fantastic new Mickey Mouse Short out featuring Minnie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNtuBdUyHo

Also has a great role for Pegleg Pete, who always steals the show in these shorts

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The 1970's had the teenager and wacky character sloving mysteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjALTeULI4

The 1980's had the more mercenary buy the toy cartoons which was a sad waste of potential.

I think cartoons like ren and stimpy, rocko, simpsons, bevis and butthead, southpark. They are remembered fondly cause they were subversive at the time.

Adventure time really changed the way CN does stuff and really kicked off alot of good cartoons in my opinion.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

max4me posted:

The 1970's had the teenager and wacky character sloving mysteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjALTeULI4

The 1980's had the more mercenary buy the toy cartoons which was a sad waste of potential.

I think cartoons like ren and stimpy, rocko, simpsons, bevis and butthead, southpark. They are remembered fondly cause they were subversive at the time.

Adventure time really changed the way CN does stuff and really kicked off alot of good cartoons in my opinion.

but what did the '00's have? Seriously I'm trying to think of a common thread but I can't think of anything

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

School. The common thread was that every show took place at school.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Silver Snail posted:

If you exclude "anime" and "western attempts to ape anime" then yeah, you nailed it with this one.
I would say "obnoxious wacky screamy cartoons" are a good contender for that era too though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

raditts posted:

If you exclude "anime" and "western attempts to ape anime" then yeah, you nailed it with this one.

To be fair that goes hand in hand with high school.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Silver Snail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hao6oA6Vq9A

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

but what did the '00's have? Seriously I'm trying to think of a common thread but I can't think of anything

The 00s was when anime and live-action tween sitcoms ruled everything for kids. If anything I'd think animation in the 00s was most characterized by adult animation becoming more of a thing with Adult Swim, Family Guy, South Park getting an Academy Award nomination, huge animation communities and fandoms bevoming a thing online, etc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. PPG had a No Me Gusta meme reference. I'm trying to like you new PPG, bit you aren't making it easy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The 00s was a time of a lot of really weird failed experiments that people either forgot or actively tried to forget existed (My Gym Partner's Monkey, Class of 3000, Squirrel Boy), many of which were trying really hard to be the next Spongebob, but somehow thinking that the best way to imitate it was to make everything as shrill and loud as possible at all times.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think themes of the 2010s are looking like colorful, chaotic fantasy and/or sci-fi mashups, tonal shifts from wacky to deadly serious to touchy-feely, and awkward romances.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 16, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I hated that the dynamic between Dexter and his sister totally changed. They were supposed to be rivals, but for some reason they were friends and he didn't mind her helping him in the lab. You can't bring back a show and change what it is, totally defeats the purpose of bringing it back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I think themes of the 2010s are looking like colorful, chaotic fantasy and/or sci-fi mashups, tonal shifts from wacky to deadly serious to touchy-feely, and awkward romances.

Also, everything is 11 minute episodes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr Christmas posted:

2010s: thin lines, curves, social justice, silly episodic humor becoming serious serialized drama

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

To change topic: What's your guy's opinions of the old 80's-early 00's trend of giving every remotely popular movie a cartoon, regardless of the film's original target audience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iv82iJ_MT4

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Not to mention the 80's trend of giving every popular sitcom a cartoon, often with completely asspulled sci-fi themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtW6wS3z97Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sGOfWP2bWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjH7zh_vg0E

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Whoah. You posted those but not the Robonic Stooges, Gary Coleman's Angel cartoon, Ed Grimley, Punky Brewster, or the Super Globetrotters?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ElCondemn posted:

I hated that the dynamic between Dexter and his sister totally changed. They were supposed to be rivals, but for some reason they were friends and he didn't mind her helping him in the lab. You can't bring back a show and change what it is, totally defeats the purpose of bringing it back.

I'll admit I actually didn't mind that change too much, indeed I think Dee Dee improved a little due to the retooling as she became a little less dumb in the process

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Robonic Stooges

As a kid I loved the Three Stooges and the cartoons were super depressing because they were either bookended with live-action bumpers starring frail, elderly Moe and Larry and the really lovely Curly replacement who wouldn't actually let them hit them all trying their best to do slapstick and just looking really sad and old in the process or they were made after all the stooges had died so they were voiced by sound-alikes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I watched a couple of eps of the new PPG today and I don't see the fuss. I mean, it certainly is by no means fantastic, but it is also not near as bad as the internet seems to have exaggerated. I guess this is just the Teen Titans Go effect of "Remake my childhood cartoons in a way that's not flawless, huh? OH IT'S loving ON NOW."

I do still really dislike the new opening, and the fact that the modern 11-minute format seems to have killed the "The day is saved" bookends because sometimes they'd do a clever gag with those. Oh well, maybe it'll get better with age like some shows do, maybe it'll fade into the ether like others.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really like the new opening :( it's probably my favorite part of the reboot so far.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I like the opening but it does kind of smack of that kind of overcompensating punch-up to appeal to the younger, hipper generation that would have manifested in the '90s in the form of classic characters tossing on a pair of shades and rocking a boombox (possibly also rapping).

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I really, REALLY like the long version of the opening, but I think the short TV-version is just whatever.

I thought the episode that aired last night where they become really old was pretty good. So far the good episodes have been the ones with Mojo in them.

Edit: On the other hand, I just watched today's episode, and while it was otherwise good, god loving dammit.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 16, 2016

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, everything post-Trinity Killer was poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Edit: On the other hand, I just watched today's episode, and while it was otherwise good, god loving dammit.

God, it just feels like so sad of an attempt to be 'current' or whatever. Kids like me me's right? We need more of those guys.

Also Bubbles new voice is still real weird.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

'Anybody have any predictions on what the trend for children's' programming will be by and through the 20's? I'm guessing the trend of shorter length episodes will continue. Will kids even watch traditional television by then?

Alice Klar
Apr 13, 2016

shadowvine118 posted:

'Anybody have any predictions on what the trend for children's' programming will be by and through the 20's? I'm guessing the trend of shorter length episodes will continue. Will kids even watch traditional television by then?

IMO, the good stuff will drown based on a former soft drink marketing executive's idea of what works. The current Renaissance is due in large part to Adventure Time being a success and studios throwing shows at everyone who worked on it, down to the tea boy.

If the next show to sell so much merchandise is some action Transformers rip-off that is a bad show, bad shows abound for five years until the next success.

Of course, I live in hope (and do what I modestly can to contribute) that the next financial success is a good show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

shadowvine118 posted:

'Anybody have any predictions on what the trend for children's' programming will be by and through the 20's? I'm guessing the trend of shorter length episodes will continue.

In the future all TV will be vines.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

shadowvine118 posted:

Many 80s and early 90s cartoons had three episodes per half hour, so really that would be a return to form.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

In the post-network television world everything is a Bee & Puppycat-esque kickstarter fiasco of tiny episodes and long production cycles that will make people pine for the days of Gravity Falls' release schedule.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yardbomb posted:

God, it just feels like so sad of an attempt to be 'current' or whatever. Kids like me me's right? We need more of those guys.

Also Bubbles new voice is still real weird.

It's weird to compare this to We Bare Bears, but WBB is so much better in this regard. WBB has tons of references to viral videos and other silly internet phenomena, but they handle it so much more gracefully and realistically than new-PPG does. New-PPG's use of internet memes and youth slang seems like it was made by the same marketing executives who designed "totally radical" characters in the 90s.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

Rick and Morty is ahead of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

In the post-network television world everything is a Bee & Puppycat-esque kickstarter fiasco of tiny episodes and long production cycles that will make people pine for the days of Gravity Falls' release schedule.

Bee & Puppycat's failing wasn't its long production cycle, but the fact that it distilled all the most boring and inscrutable parts of Adventure Time into a single show.