Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Guy Mann posted:

Evolve would have been OK as a retail title or a f2p , making it both a paid title with a massive amounts of DLC is what killed it.

I'm hoping Overwatch tanks for the same reason. That's one poo poo pricing model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm hoping Overwatch tanks for the same reason. That's one poo poo pricing model.

Isn't the Overwatch DLC just different skins for the varying classes? Hardly outrageous as far as DLC goes.

Edit: Found some details:

quote:

"In a developer update video released to YouTube, Overwatch Game Director Jeff Kaplan dropped the details on the direction the game will take following its planned 2016 release. The game will arrive in the first half of the year with eight maps and 21 heroes. Additional content will be free.

“We have ideas for additional maps and heroes that we’d like to add to the game,” game director Jeff Kaplan explained in the video. “So we thought about this and we decided the best way to add them to the game is to patch them in as free content and not as DLC. Hopefully that alleviates some concern that people have."

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I didn't look too deeply into it but it looked like a $60 title that was also layering on all the f2p mechanics of TF2.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Anonymous Robot posted:

Overwatch looks cool and fun, and it's just skins, and just base version for $40 and then upgraded version for +$20 ($60) with more skins.

That's hardly the same as literally paying for better monsters/heroes and maps and poo poo like that which is a pretty egregious sin in a multiplayer game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
assassins creed syndicate is real cool and real good and anyone who was bored of rear end creed should give it a try because it removes alot of the fluff and bullshit that hampered AC games since 2.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Without the fluff and the bullshit you essentially have Dance Dance Stab Man Revolution and lovely pursue missions.

So... not cool and good?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Without the fluff it's historical location simulator 2000 and that's cool with me. :shrug:

the characters arent untolerable also which is nice. it has alot of that whimsy feeling that 2 had, not the dark turn that 3 4 and 5 had.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mirrors Edge Catalyst footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfvCPV2vEw

it has XP/levelling up. why

This looks terrible tbh.

"Hey you big idiot follow this breadcrumb trail."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The original Mirror's Edge was only good for a few levels and then it ditched the parkour and shiny clean dystopia for obnoxious forced combat in sewers. It seems like none of the people championing it actually remember how bad the original game was.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anonymous Robot posted:

The poo poo pricing model of only charging extra for skins?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

The poo poo pricing model of only charging extra for skins?

I shouldn't have to spend money on a game I'll spend literal thousands of hours playing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mutant Standard posted:

This looks terrible tbh.

"Hey you big idiot follow this breadcrumb trail."
I like it happened 8 times during the slow pipe climb

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.
Overwatch may or may not be terrible, I personally don't know or care. The developers choosing to charge only for skins rather than characters or maps in a (fps)MOBA isn't something that people should be getting up in arms over though. I think the problem is a lot of people don't realise that's all they charge for, there was someone a couple of pages back saying the game was pay2win bullshit.

Let people drop $10 or whatever on a pretty new outfit for their favourite character, it doesn't harm anyone or give them an edge and supports the developers. If you don't want to support or pay for the skins, you haven't lost anything. It also doesn't fragment the player base like paid map packs do.

TLDR: Chill the gently caress out.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The original Mirror's Edge was only good for a few levels and then it ditched the parkour and shiny clean dystopia for obnoxious forced combat in sewers. It seems like none of the people championing it actually remember how bad the original game was.

Yeah but you could flip people off.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Nathyrra posted:

Overwatch may or may not be terrible, I personally don't know or care. The developers choosing to charge only for skins rather than characters or maps in a (fps)MOBA isn't something that people should be getting up in arms over though. I think the problem is a lot of people don't realise that's all they charge for, there was someone a couple of pages back saying the game was pay2win bullshit.

Let people drop $10 or whatever on a pretty new outfit for their favourite character, it doesn't harm anyone or give them an edge and supports the developers. If you don't want to support or pay for the skins, you haven't lost anything. It also doesn't fragment the player base like paid map packs do.

TLDR: Chill the gently caress out.

excuse you but if the enemy characters are a different color than their default they clearly have a pay2win advantage over me and furthermore,

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

All the skins in Overwatch are free(with the exception of the Origin edition I guess), you unlock them in loot boxes that you get when you level or buy them with gold you get out of said boxes. Last I heard they have no plans to sell skins, but might be looking at letting people buy more loot boxes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ddraig posted:

Without the fluff and the bullshit you essentially have Dance Dance Stab Man Revolution

As someone who had to do maintenance on those arcade machines, boy they sure did make you want to stab people. That's an indie game I'd buy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Robot posted:

I didn't look too deeply into it but it looked like a $60 title that was also layering on all the f2p mechanics of TF2.

It has stupid cosmetic stuff that is pointless, that you can also get simply through playing completely free. Its nowhere near as lovely as Evolves DLCs though. They charge extra for extra monsters and classes that play different, new maps, they charge 7-8 for a skin. Its absolutely loving insane. Its sad because Evolve could have been fun if the dev/publisher gave a poo poo about actually supporting it instead of trying to squeeze every last penny from the people who do play.

Gating non-cosmetic content behind piece-meal DLC is some of the bullshitiest bullshit ever. Especially in a multiplayer game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Nullset posted:

All the skins in Overwatch are free(with the exception of the Origin edition I guess), you unlock them in loot boxes that you get when you level or buy them with gold you get out of said boxes. Last I heard they have no plans to sell skins, but might be looking at letting people buy more loot boxes.
They will probably let you buy the currency which lets you buy the poo poo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If a game isn't even out yet and they're already trying to sell pointless cosmetics with real-world money it's a bad sign because balancing and supporting a multiplayer game is hard enough when an entire team is dedicated to it, let alone when they're budgeting resources and staff away from the actual game to make bonus poo poo to sell to people.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Guy Mann posted:

If a game isn't even out yet and they're already trying to sell pointless cosmetics with real-world money it's a bad sign because balancing and supporting a multiplayer game is hard enough when an entire team is dedicated to it, let along when they're budgeting resources and staff away from the actual game to make bonus poo poo to sell to people.

Yeah man, gotta keep those artists debugging at all times or your ship will sink!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I actually have no clue what this game's pricing model is, but I have made up some ideas about it in my head, and boy howdy does it make me mad!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guy Mann posted:

If a game isn't even out yet and they're already trying to sell pointless cosmetics with real-world money it's a bad sign because balancing and supporting a multiplayer game is hard enough when an entire team is dedicated to it, let alone when they're budgeting resources and staff away from the actual game to make bonus poo poo to sell to people.

:laffo:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Alright guys, I get it. I was genuinely interested in trying the game but when I looked at it on Battlenet I saw like three different price points for the game and references to lockboxes and skins. You can give it a rest now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Online multiplayer games that launched at $60 that also had paid DLC and weren't complete and total failures or went f2p within the year:

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guy Mann posted:

Online multiplayer games that launched at $60 that also had paid DLC and weren't complete and total failures or went f2p within the year:

It costs $40 for the full game and anything buyable are cosmetic skins only.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Blizzard games that weren't massive successes in the last two decades:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Battleborn free weekend trip report: it's bad

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Saint Freak posted:

Battleborn free weekend trip report: it's bad

Does that go for the Doom Beta too?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Beating the eastern zone's crystal spike maze in Hyper Light Drifter's New Game+ mode is a living nightmare, but I did it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

poo poo I wanted to be smug about that being over 2 decades old but it came out in 97

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Applewhite posted:

Beating the eastern zone's crystal spike maze in Hyper Light Drifter's New Game+ mode is a living nightmare, but I did it.

That was miserable enough the first time around.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Guy Mann posted:

:chloe:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

PAYDAY 2?

Also:

Jordan7hm posted:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jamfrost posted:

yeah

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jamfrost posted:

That was miserable enough the first time around.

I had to learn the exact button timing and joystick positions by rote to make it through. That motherfucker hit the wall or slid to a halt in the middle of the filed probably 500 times.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Payday 2 never was $60.
-

Welp.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jamfrost posted:

Eeeyup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

every Call of Duty game since the dawn of civilization

• Locked thread