Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chandulure has moves that attacks so that they can attack literally every bar you have in that game (HP, 'white HP', Super/Burst meter, AND assist meter) . Yeah that sure seems like a joke character.

But yeah you're right, they could have done a lot of cool things. Hilariously taking out some of the shittier fighting type pokemon would open spots for actually cool pokes. Did we really need Lucario AND Blaziken in the game?

Can't believe they snubbed Hawlucha and Whimsicott like this.

I would be perfectly fine if Lucario never made it as a Pokemon rep ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Mewtwo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lucario and Mewtwo are the most edgelord pokes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
like the pokken video is maybe the oldest matt pat and woolie have ever sounded and I'm including times where Pat actually yelled at kids to get off his lawn

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woolie going "I've grown to be proud of Gen 1manship" got a pretty audible "Why?" from me, so congrats to Woolie for getting me to talk to my monitor without realizing it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm rather baffled that the group of nerds who actually played the hell out of their X/Y purchases are somehow elitist about their pokeymans, whereas I who sold my copy 2 gyms in still recognize those games have only ever gotten better

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's also Grimer, the purple goop and Muk the Big purple goop and Ditto the tiny purple goop

And Fearow. And Chansey. And Magneton. And Seel/Dewgong. And Drowzee. And Mewtwo.

Much like the actual mechanics of the Gen 1/2 games, a lot of Gen 1/2 designs coast entirely on nostalgia. I grew up playing Pokemon and still play the new ones and looking back it's very obvious they've really improved with experience/time when it comes to design.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Vanilluxe is actually a very good Pocket Man

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gen 5 has 0 (Fully evolved) bad designs in it. They even did the first cute/cool version of the "Is literal garbage" that Muk and Koffing failed at.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's also Grimer, the purple goop and Muk the Big purple goop and Ditto the tiny purple goop

Ditto is pink.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Someone else send this to Pat for me. I'm too lazy to make a Twitter account.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

For real though Gen V has the best overall set of designs, but in the end every generation has awesome monsters and every generation has awful ones.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Garbodor is real good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Garbodor is cool but I can see why people wouldn't like him.

The amount of people that go HURR NEW POKEMON ARE ALL TRASH AND ICE CREAM is stupid, though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Liam can gently caress OFF with that "only fighting types" garbage, it's so loving stupid

Haven't watched the Pokken video yet but I got so sick of hearing this on the podcast.

"No, just make the cast super boring and one note"

Not saying its quite same thing, but man, why not just make a fighting game with nothing but shotos? Who wants weird rear end poo poo, just give that vanilla.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The only Gen 1 pokemon that should've got in are Lucha Pikachu and Dragonite

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

In Liam's defense, you can still make an varied roster with just Fighting types.

If the roster was something like...

Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hariyama
Conkeldurr
Medicham
Lucario
Pangoro
Hawlucha
Poliwrath
Blaziken
Breloom
Toxicroak
Gallade
Scrafty
Chesnaught
Heracross

...that'd still be a super fun roster and a good selection of monsters with a variety of secondary typings.

It's still a dumb argument though.

EDIT: Hell, I forgot about Meinshao and the Musketeer quartet.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 16, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's still a stupid and entirely arbitrary restriction that actively ignores the fact that every pokemon fights all the time

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dexie posted:

For real though Gen V has the best overall set of designs, but in the end every generation has awesome monsters and every generation has awful ones.

Dexie, you're on the Internet, you're supposed to constantly die on the hill of whatever dumb thing you love, refuse to be reasonable, and never have a nuanced opinion about anything.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You could have had a couple extra Fighting Pokémons over Another Pikachu and a loving chandelier tho. Why not Hawlucha, or a Hitmon hybrid?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I was disappointed by the lack of Hawlucha but Chandelure was a very good leftfield choice. Too bad there aren't any Ice types on the roster though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I also think Lucario is the Shadow the Hedgehog of Pokémon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

I was disappointed by the lack of Hawlucha but Chandelure was a very good leftfield choice. Too bad there aren't any Ice types on the roster though.

There's Weavile.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

You could have had a couple extra Fighting Pokémons over Another Pikachu and a loving chandelier tho. Why not Hawlucha, or a Hitmon hybrid?

Chandelure is cooler in design than any Hitmon AND mechanically it's the best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tyrogue should be the Ryu of Pokken.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Weavile is very cool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Bee posted:

There's Weavile.

I forgot :downs:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Weavile is Ice type.

There's no Bugs though, which bums me out. Bugs are my favorite type.

Rock, Normal, and Bug are the only types to not appear on the roster.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chandelure is cooler in design than any Hitmon AND mechanically it's the best.

It´s fine but who the gently caress cares about the fuckin chandelier Pokémon, really?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

It´s fine but who the gently caress cares about the fuckin chandelier Pokémon, really?

I care, because it is cool and good.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dias posted:

Everyone because it rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who cares about any pokemon anyway?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Luvdisc

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

I do because it's this rad ghost pokemon that's not just some dumb shadow and it's got this adorable style to it.

Sorry you're wrong.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Japan cares about Chandelure. The entire reason it's in Pokken is because it's Japan's favorite Gen V Pokemon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

I do because I want Dormammu in every video game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chandelure: "Burn to cinders, chaotic flame!!!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
drat, imagine if Joltik was in Pokken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The last Pokken character should be Bayonetta.