Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

holocaust bloopers posted:

gently caress. An NVG case of all things. Poor dudes.
I'm surprised they didn't ding the unit leadership at all. Flying on that squadron's birds is the only time I have ever complained to flight safety as a passenger.

Their ERO was a hot mess and they tried to take off with unsecured cargo before we stopped them. Not like they didn't tie down bags right or something, they had loose 1.1 and vehicles that were tied down with a cargo strap across seats.

I blame unit leadership because they had two obviously incompetent loadmasters and one over-tasked guy trying to fix everything they were doing wrong while doing night ground ops in a combat zone.

It's sad that these guys died but given the unit I am utterly unsurprised to hear what happened.

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
"flight controls free and correct." EVERY loving TIME YOU FLY.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Every time but one, anyhow.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

standard.deviant posted:

I'm surprised they didn't ding the unit leadership at all. Flying on that squadron's birds is the only time I have ever complained to flight safety as a passenger.

Their ERO was a hot mess and they tried to take off with unsecured cargo before we stopped them. Not like they didn't tie down bags right or something, they had loose 1.1 and vehicles that were tied down with a cargo strap across seats.

I blame unit leadership because they had two obviously incompetent loadmasters and one over-tasked guy trying to fix everything they were doing wrong while doing night ground ops in a combat zone.

It's sad that these guys died but given the unit I am utterly unsurprised to hear what happened.

Given recent comments in the cold war thread, I think "leadership blame" is the one thing absolutely guaranteed not to happen.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Nebakenezzer posted:

Given recent comments in the cold war thread, I think "leadership blame" is the one thing absolutely guaranteed not to happen.
I've definitely seen squadron and group commanders blamed at SIBs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who was the lowest ranking person involved? It's their fault.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That sucks.

It seems like there should be a checklist prior to departure that includes checking for free movement of the control surfaces even in these types of operations.

The Ferret King posted:

The thought of entering a runway with the intention to take off without checking this gives me hives.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Jealous Cow posted:

That sucks.

It seems like there should be a checklist prior to departure that includes checking for free movement of the control surfaces even in these types of operations.

The thought of entering a runway with the intention to take off without checking this gives me hives.
:thejoke: it's already part of the checklist :confused:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

standard.deviant posted:

Not like they didn't tie down bags right or something, they had loose 1.1 and vehicles that were tied down with a cargo strap across seats.

:wtc:

Like that's some National Air Cargo level of poo poo right there

standard.deviant posted:

I've definitely seen squadron and group commanders blamed at SIBs.

And not just SIBs...Indy 08's AIB report had some significantly negative comments towards the entire MC-12 program for how the AF had mismanaged it. In the statement of opinion "Mishap Cause" received 2 paragraphs, under "Substantially Contributing Factors" wx received one paragraph, pilot inexperience (which is really a reflection of program mismanagement) received 2, but MC-12W Program Risk received 5 paragraphs.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Let's push this 737's big levers all of the way forward and see what happens.

tl;dr: A 20-year-old passenger jet can haul serious rear end when the pilots ask nicely.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

"490 knots True Air Speed, which is the absolute maximum permitted speed of a Boeing 737."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-cruise-speed-for-Boeing-737-How-fast-can-it-go

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
[quote="iyaayas01" post=""458802682"]
And not just SIBs...Indy 08's AIB report had some significantly negative comments towards the entire MC-12 program for how the AF had mismanaged it. In the statement of opinion "Mishap Cause" received 2 paragraphs, under "Substantially Contributing Factors" wx received one paragraph, pilot inexperience (which is really a reflection of program mismanagement) received 2, but MC-12W Program Risk received 5 paragraphs.
[/quote]
True. I walk past an Indy 08 memorial on the way to work and should have remembered that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

simplefish posted:

"490 knots True Air Speed, which is the absolute maximum permitted speed of a Boeing 737."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-cruise-speed-for-Boeing-737-How-fast-can-it-go

ground speed /= true air speed

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA

ctishman posted:

tl;dr: A 20-year-old passenger jet can haul serious rear end when the pilots ask nicely.

:stare: 609 mph peak ground speed :stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

According to the earth wind map ( http://earth.nullschool.net/ set altitude on map to 250 hPa which is about 35,000') that flight would have a tail-wind at altitude of between 80 and 150 kph pretty much the entire way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ctishman posted:

A Southwest flight out of Paine Field? Is that an error or what?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Linedance posted:

ground speed /= true air speed

I know, but fun numbers are fun

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CharlesM posted:

I think Boeing does some work on 737's there, so I'm guessing the airplane was at Paine for some kind of specialized maintenance that required sending it to Boeing.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 17, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

azflyboy posted:

I think Boeing does some work on 737's there, so I'm guessing the airplane was at Paine for some kind of specialized maintenance that required sending it to Boeing.

Well that's connected to their Everett factory, where they build 747s, 767s, 777s, and 787s. According to Wikipedia there's also a service company called Aviation Technical Services there too. I guess my question then is, flight numbers get assigned even to non-revenue flights?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flight numbers are their call sign so yes of course.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Flight numbers are their call sign so yes of course.

Ah I see.

edit: Looks like at least Southwest, Alaska, and Atlas Air do service there. Neat to learn.
https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KPAE/arrivals/airline

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I believe they go there to get the in flight wifi system installed. It used to be a company called Row 44, but I'm not sure if they've changed or not. They might have the newer winglet (lower ones, sharklets?) installed there, too, since 737NGs don't get them at Boeing yet.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is a dumb problem.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

This is a dumb problem.

Is he holding the grounding clip?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
How would one go about checking a big rolling tool box full of tools onto an airplane and would it cost a fortune?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

How would one go about checking a big rolling tool box full of tools onto an airplane and would it cost a fortune?

Depends on whether or not the airplane says FedEx on the side.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Reports that a drone hit plane on approach to Heathrow airport in London,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36067591

I know theres been 'near' misses at lots of airports but this is the first impact I've heard of.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Baconroll posted:

Reports that a drone hit plane on approach to Heathrow airport in London,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36067591

I know theres been 'near' misses at lots of airports but this is the first impact I've heard of.
It will be interesting to see if this is confirmed by examining damage, vs turning out to be a normal bird strike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone here fly Air NZ with the lie-flats or the skycouch?

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/economy-skycouch

Looking at taking a trip this fall and debating whether to spend the extra coin for the lie flats (basically 2x+ the price) or if buying the extra seat for a full Skycouch would be good enough for the two of us. Last time I can handle a 5-6 hour seat in Economy just fine, but the flight to Auckland looks like its 13 hours and the room would be really, really nice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

find the airline's cargo office/terminal and do it there. It will not be cheap, probably on the order of $4-500 or more, depending on how heavy it is.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I was more impressed with the +5,000 VS

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

This is a dumb problem.

the fuel pump cart is parked the one spot where it can be reasonably guaranteed not to be smacked into by any given aircraft that might use that gate. Yeah it's more legwork for the guy lugging the hose, but if the dude had parked it in another more convenient spot and it caused aircraft damage, he's gonna wish he just parked it in the red rectangle like he was supposed to.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I still can't tell who is joking and what is really wrong with that photo. We're not all ground crew.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

I still can't tell who is joking and what is really wrong with that photo. We're not all ground crew.

I figured he brought it up because it would be a lot less work to just park the pumper closer to the refuel panel on the aircraft and not have to drag one hose to the hydrant in the ground and another hose twice the distance again back to the aircraft.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Look closely...

The grounding line strapped to his wrist is stretched as far as it can go, so he can't even use his left hand while fueling.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Look closely...

The grounding line strapped to his wrist is stretched as far as it can go, so he can't even use his left hand while fueling.

Lol I see it now. That's not even how it works, you clip that to the ground stud on the gear!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What refueling guy? Are you talking about the bipedal grounding cord extender?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Prop Wash posted:

What refueling guy? Are you talking about the bipedal grounding cord extender?

:lol:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Linedance posted:

Lol I see it now. That's not even how it works, you clip that to the ground stud on the gear!

Since the truck he's strapped to has rubber tires he's not even actually grounded unless it has it's own separate grounding strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

gently caress. An NVG case of all things. Poor dudes.

I'm impressed they were able to figure out the cause here. It seems like it would be very easy for the obstruction to get thrown loose when the plane hit the ground. I guess it would leave marks on the piece it was blocking though.