Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Gotta say one of the nicest improvements that I think they made is finally, finally having throwable weapons scale with stats. I don't know if they did that in bloodborne since I haven't played it, but it seems like such an obvious idea I was amazed it wasn't included in 2. It's nice to finally look forward to getting throwing knives and firebombs now.

The Shortest Path posted:

:stare: Oh god, I'm in the dragon peak place and just found Havel. He appears to have infinite stamina judging by his constant uninterrupted spam of overhead swings, and cannot be staggered by anything I'm capable of throwing at him.

Can't stop The Rock :smug:

Begemot posted:

They break apart instantly with the butcher's knife too, oddly enough. I think enough damage in one hit does it.

That thing is great, by the way. Amazing scaling, nice fast attacks with plenty of reach, and the bonus healing from every hit doesn't hurt. I feel like it's been just okay in every game until now, but it's really come into it's own with the new focus on aggressive combat.

Haven't actually gotten one of those yet. Who drops them? And does it scale with str or dex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Haven't actually gotten one of those yet. Who drops them? And does it scale with str or dex?

The same person who always drops it. She's hanging out in a little cliff area around the place with the crow people on the Road of Sacrifice. Just past the first group, after you drop down, there's a path down to the left.

It has A str scaling from the start. Its weapon art is sharpening the blade, which lets you heal more with every hit.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Still making a billion attempts at Dancer.

Did you know hollowing caps at 99? :shepface:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

The Shortest Path posted:

:stare: Oh god, I'm in the dragon peak place and just found Havel. He appears to have infinite stamina judging by his constant uninterrupted spam of overhead swings, and cannot be staggered by anything I'm capable of throwing at him.

Parry him.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Still making a billion attempts at Dancer.

Did you know hollowing caps at 99? :shepface:

Sup, Dancer Woes Bro.

I'm just attempting it at SL15 and hating myself :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if I want to do a new build when I beat the game would it be better to respec in new game +, or do a new character

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eonwe posted:

if I want to do a new build when I beat the game would it be better to respec in new game +, or do a new character

You don't have to immediately go to NG+ when you beat the game, so unless you've used all your respecs for this cycle just do it whenever.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Two quick questions:

Does physically being in an area increase your odds of being summoned there to bluecop? I've definitely been summoned to some very distant areas the few times I managed to get fights in at a lower level, but do you get priority based on your proximity or anything? I.e. if I'm standing in the swamp, am I more likely to be summoned to protect someone there / jump the queue ahead of someone in another zone, or is it totally random?

and

Does invading as a Sunbro also have a +/- 20 level filter instead of 10? Or is that only for friendly co-op?

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone around level 80 on pc feel like giving me an estoc? optiquest on steam

think my greirat is dead in an alley somewhere

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 17, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lightning Spear feels really underwhelming. My Faith in general is just doing nothing for me right now outside of specific fights, level ups are getting more expensive and regular enemies are starting to kick my rear end. I may just respec and get rid of Faith/Attunement and put more into my physical stats

Also, it seems kinda lovely to lock respeccing behind what appears to be an evil covenant that's mutually exclusive with another covenant

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

So those snake possessed hollow dudes are not supposed to be fair, right? Every time I've seen them, they've been avoidable in some way, I didn't get anything the one time I sniped one to death (except revenge), and the hitboxes are super wonky and I don't see how you could possibly kill them in melee at all given they never seem to pause attacking.

Use a fire-imbued weapon on them

E: oops literally everyone said this already :justpost:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RBA Starblade posted:

With 30 int/30 fth, which will be more fun, Deep Soul or Cleric's Candlestick?

Great Deep Soul is loving godlike. It's fast, aggressively homes by floating out and then accelerating towards the target, and the FP/DMG ratio might possibly be the best in the game for a sorcery of any kind, especially as so few things resist Dark damage.

Get the Izalith staff and go nuts. good luck farming human dregs tho

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I decided to trade my Broadsword +3 for the Butcher Knife (made that a +3 as well) and man am I glad I did that. Nice to have something with a little more reach.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Emalde posted:

Great Deep Soul is loving godlike. It's fast, aggressively homes by floating out and then accelerating towards the target, and the FP/DMG ratio might possibly be the best in the game for a sorcery of any kind, especially as so few things resist Dark damage.

I might take deep soul as an offensive sorcery in the meantime then. I was just curious if the candlestick was a good straight sword, since the spell buff is on par with like three other catalysts I have. I don't plan on going past 30/30 so DS seems like a worthwhile spell.

Also I got a thrall axe if I really want to play BB again. :toot:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

My second run through this game is going much better than the first time. I died between 5-10 times to nearly every boss the first go around but now Abyss watchers, vordt, and Gundyr all done no deaths and haven't died to a boss yet.

I have noticed that a a lot of the bosses people are having trouble with are solved by sticking to the bosses left side (your right) or back, few of the fast ones deal with that very well and many of their attacks just whiff harmlessly.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RBA Starblade posted:

I might take deep soul as an offensive sorcery in the meantime then. I was just curious if the candlestick was a good straight sword, since the spell buff is on par with like three other catalysts I have. I don't plan on going past 30/30 so DS seems like a worthwhile spell.

Also I got a thrall axe if I really want to play BB again. :toot:

If you aren't already at 30/30, I'd get the candlestick for kicks since deep soul is 100% overwritten by great deep soul, and by the time you have 30/30 after hp/fp investments and whatnot you're probably already pretty close to that covenant. (Use pyromancy in the meanwhile b/c herpderp pyromancy)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm only now closing in on the end of the game, which means it's time for sticking a tablet with the cheevo guide up and powering through that before co-op dries up and any nerfs hit. What's the current hotness in terms of builds/weapon setups? I'm guessing Knight start then going hard into Dex but I haven't really been following stuff about builds.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gotta say one of the nicest improvements that I think they made is finally, finally having throwable weapons scale with stats. I don't know if they did that in bloodborne since I haven't played it, but it seems like such an obvious idea I was amazed it wasn't included in 2. It's nice to finally look forward to getting throwing knives and firebombs now.

Can't stop The Rock :smug:

they scaled with your stats in bloodborne as well, yea

Emalde posted:

something I noticed with deep soul is that it doesn't seem to damage undead enemies at all. it was kinda funny because I read the description, equipped it, and the first thing I tried it on was a skeleton. it did nothing and I felt like an idiot

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

LeafyOrb posted:

My second run through this game is going much better than the first time. I died between 5-10 times to nearly every boss the first go around but now Abyss watchers, vordt, and Gundyr all done no deaths and haven't died to a boss yet.

I have noticed that a a lot of the bosses people are having trouble with are solved by sticking to the bosses left side (your right) or back, few of the fast ones deal with that very well and many of their attacks just whiff harmlessly.

Feeling the same. Everything is going so much better as I play over. Looking forward to having a few characters built out in my perfect vision as I keep replaying

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Still haven't beat it and have 2 characters moving through. Just enjoying all the possibilities

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is demon ruins a a dead end that's there to turn off the ballista/ get items or did I miss something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Emalde posted:

If you aren't already at 30/30, I'd get the candlestick for kicks since deep soul is 100% overwritten by great deep soul, and by the time you have 30/30 after hp/fp investments and whatnot you're probably already pretty close to that covenant. (Use pyromancy in the meanwhile b/c herpderp pyromancy)

Yeah at 15 in each. Level 45, only just beat cathedral and just got to farron. If the covenant is that close then I'll just take the stick. Thanks!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NESguerilla posted:

Is demon ruins a a dead end that's there to turn off the ballista/ get items or did I miss something?

Get items and what not. And uh go the other side of the huge lake with crabs and there is a nice boss fog gate for you. Which I mean go past that big worm thing.

Unless you already did that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I did that. Was just referring to the ruins area.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NESguerilla posted:

Pretty much items then.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh, that was in 2. All the throwables scaled, with throwing knives being the most notable. They also scaled best there, as they actually got a significant damage boost, compared to Bloodborn where they did not. From my experience it seems like even the knives here aren't as strong, despite also being slower.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I'm really having trouble :(

Played and completed Dark Souls 2, had fun, was fairly good - never really had too much trouble, some spots I might die and redo 10+ times but it was always because I didn't have the enemy patterns down and I could feel myself improving the more I played.

I've been playing 3 for the last couple of days and I cannot get good, I die all the time, or I get smashed to bits and have to use all of my estus within 2 minutes of spawning and I can't tell what I'm doing wrong. I can't get further than the second bonfire on the walls of Lothric and I feel like there's some fundamental thing I'm not getting.

I'm playing a Knight, tried going two handed or sword and board, doesn't make much difference. I kinda feel like there isn't enough room to roll about like there was in DS2? And I just get shield broken a lot if I try defending.

Any tips? Videos I can watch? Something I'm missing?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey, about that character you can kill that can upset Yuria, it wouldn't happen to be either the slug-like enemy that doesnt attack you next to Yuria's bonfire or this big wolf next to the wolf of farron bonfire? All I know about it is that it is near a bonfire.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Harrow posted:

Do you mean Yoel of Londor, the pilgrim guy who sells you sorceries? He sort of just up and dies because that's what pilgrims like him do. If you'd taken his deal five times for free levels, he would've died after the fifth and it starts a questline with a different NPC who shows up in his place. Otherwise? He just keels over.

Haha, yeah, that guy. Okay after he dies for no reason, wait no, if he dies for the reason you specified, and someone replaces him, can I give that person the goddamn spell scrolls? or is the smart wizard a different person?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

NESguerilla posted:

there's a poo poo-ton of fake walls and stuff to find, not to mention items sitting in the loving lava though, so being thorough about getting everything takes some persistence. it is ultimately an optional / dead-end zone though, and if you aren't interested in pyromancy it's arguably skippable.

also purple invasions continue to be the best thing in the world. even the 2v1 or 3v1 situations aren't so bad once you get out of the high wall zone and your gear and build options open up and you can lead people around on a merry little chase and let the local fauna do some of the lifting. best fight of the night so far was a 3v1 in the chapel where i had to run the long way (up thru graveyard and across roof and back down inside) to catch up to a team of three and i caught them by the second giant and managed to kill both phantoms by wading into the poo poo under the giant and letting him tank their hits. feels good man. :getin:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hey, about that character you can kill that can upset Yuria, it wouldn't happen to be either the slug-like enemy that doesnt attack you next to Yuria's bonfire or this big wolf next to the wolf of farron bonfire? All I know about it is that it is near a bonfire.

It's a ways off from there, and you probably won't even see the enemy unless you know where to look / are trying to find it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sup, Dancer Woes Bro.

I'm just attempting it at SL15 and hating myself :v:

How many bolts/arrows can you carry? Cause with patience, killing her with ranged is trivial. I'm honestly shocked she is so vulnerable to ranged when she's one of the bosses they showed off a ton.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So I just killed one of those fatty Evangelists in the zone just past the Catacombs and it dropped what appeared to be a ring, but not as a lootable item; it was one of those fixed drop pop-up messages...except now I don't see it or anything new in my inventory. What did I get??

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Re: Anri

I managed to gently caress up this quest line horribly but I think I've worked out where.

So I only found out Anri was in the Catacombs after I defeated The Skeleton King, so I went back there and spoke to her and got the usual dialogue. Afterwards found Horace, killed Horace, and went back but only found a prism stone.

Supposedly she moves on to the next place in the storyline, the irithyl bonfire, but she's not there and never appears again. I think that you have to talk to Anri before killing the Skeleton King otherwise the storyline glitches out because she's vanished without a trace.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Figures the one time I invade someone 1v1 in the end of the game, I find the only person on earth wearing Way of the Blue past level 20.

edit: My dream is that eventually the PvP scene will shift to someone wearing WotB, using the finger, and letting giant brawls erupt.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

any goons mind transferring an item from one of my chars to another? im tired of farming for these loving warden twinswords on my luck/dex char

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cthulhuite posted:

I'm really having trouble :(

Played and completed Dark Souls 2, had fun, was fairly good - never really had too much trouble, some spots I might die and redo 10+ times but it was always because I didn't have the enemy patterns down and I could feel myself improving the more I played.

I've been playing 3 for the last couple of days and I cannot get good, I die all the time, or I get smashed to bits and have to use all of my estus within 2 minutes of spawning and I can't tell what I'm doing wrong. I can't get further than the second bonfire on the walls of Lothric and I feel like there's some fundamental thing I'm not getting.

I'm playing a Knight, tried going two handed or sword and board, doesn't make much difference. I kinda feel like there isn't enough room to roll about like there was in DS2? And I just get shield broken a lot if I try defending.

Any tips? Videos I can watch? Something I'm missing?

Try using a Spear to keep distance, or use a Claymore so you can bash crowds easier. I've played all of the Souls games multiple times at this point and I still have a lot of trouble, so don't worry. Try to keep everything in front of you and roll THROUGH enemies rather than away. I can't tell you how many times I ate the business end of a halberd or sword because I rolled backwards at the wrong moment. Enemies are noticeably faster, in my opinion, so just practice rolling "through" an enemy so you end up behind them during their wombo combo of 50+ swings. Lock on and circle under the weapon arm of larger enemies. Honestly anything that worked in DS1+2 should work here, just with some timing adjustments. Use a shield with parry and practice on the chaff hollows.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Figures the one time I invade someone 1v1 in the end of the game, I find the only person on earth wearing Way of the Blue past level 20.

edit: My dream is that eventually the PvP scene will shift to someone wearing WotB, using the finger, and letting giant brawls erupt.

I realized it basically owns to be a blue coward and put it on whenever I'm exploring these high end zones. I wish I wore it all game now that I know that sentinels and darkmoon are bullshit. Toss those boys a bone and be alive, always.

I beat the game with forty goddamn embers. I'm a jerk!

It basically owns to wave to the invader, he waves back, buff up, he buffs up, whoops here comes a blue. My cunning plan to stall you out paid off.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 17, 2016

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Gologle posted:

So, at just a little over 45 hours I have finished my first run of Dark Souls 3 with my Dex/Faith Paladin character. When it's good, it's REALLY loving GOOD HOLY poo poo I LOVE THIS GAME. But when it's bad, it's loving abysmal. Fighting those two dogs down where you get the Aldritch covenant was literally the worst time I've ever had i any From Soft game or video game in general. I hated it, it was so unfair that it couldn't possibly have been playtested. Nobody could say that that was right. If killing them didn't net a super good and useful ring I would have just completely ignored them forever and said gently caress the Aldritch covenant.

You can easily pull the dogs one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Merauder posted:

So I just killed one of those fatty Evangelists in the zone just past the Catacombs and it dropped what appeared to be a ring, but not as a lootable item; it was one of those fixed drop pop-up messages...except now I don't see it or anything new in my inventory. What did I get??

Spell.