Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

STIMSIS posted:

I'M A RACIST??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO I'M NOT!!! I don't like racism not even a little bit that's why I'm upset with Derek for appearing on Vox Day's webinar. All you people that are supposedly upset by racism, are calling me a racist or whatever, won't say the same about Derek because you're hypocrites. How much do you have invested in Derek Smart? I bet not a lot because he makes lovely games. Why not replace him as OP with someone who will actually do the job for a thread that I hear is 600 million miles long

My strings, they have been thoroughly pulled. I am a marionette in my master's hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EightAce posted:

Dude.....
Derek was only 40 when he appeared on that. Just a kid really.
I bet he looks back now and cringes a bit , but who hasn't done dumb stuff when only a naive young shaver.
I think it's just a storm in a tea cup

:shittypop:

:drat:

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
https://www.instagram.com/p/5DtlAmClEO

lmao

yes.... yes... that's what he wants.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

STIMSIS nothing you say makes sense. It's almost like you are trying to be clever but in reality you are being very obvious.

You're full of poo poo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

STIMSIS posted:

Derek Smart is gonna write a book about Star Citizen. He's said so himself. But will he bother to update the OP? He's gonna take all your funny lines, your original research and then sell it back to you. Derek is leading a charge against racism after he's appeared on a racist's show. Goons fight for women gamers and Derek comes along and smacks everyone in the face by giving Vox Day the time of day. [url="http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/04/08/_2015_hugo_awards_how_the_sad_and_rabid_puppies_took_over_the_sci_fi_nominations.html" READ THIS, IT'S ABOUT HOW VOX DAY TRIED TO SUPPRESS WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN SCIENCE FICTION" [/url] I've included facts and links and everyone wants to glance over them, and be smug about it. You can follow your hate leader, but Derek will betray you. He makes lovely games, that is known, and he's gonna cash out with a book he writes from YOUR material. Not from what I wrote, I'm a retard, but all you funny people with your original research Derek is gonna sell it back to you and what will you say then?

:reddit:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

EightAce posted:

Dude.....
Derek was only 40 when he appeared on that. Just a kid really.
I bet he looks back now and cringes a bit , but who hasn't done dumb stuff when only a naive young shaver.
I think it's just a storm in a tea cup

:boom:

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib

Daztek posted:

Update the OP with what? I'm sure Derek will listen to your suggestions.

Also I like that you joined back in February to make fun of this scam but only started posting today about something other than making fun of this scam

The OP should be updated with information about Ben-Ghazi. Why not? And I'd love to hear Derek's views on racism and sexism and why the racism and sexism of CIG should be called out WHICH IT SHOULD BE, yet Derek can go on Vox Day's webinar, but won't speak out the racism and sexism shown by Vox Day.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

So Derek Smart once did a show with guy who might be a racist but not a publicly-keeps-a-collection-of-their-own-racist-"jokes"-on-their-own-website-level-racist so that makes Derek Smart the real racist here by proxy racist cooties I guess, and this is your apologetic for the guy with friend of the family jokes on his website. Tell us about your crippling brain injury :allears:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

STIMSIS posted:

The OP should be updated with information about Ben-Ghazi. Why not? And I'd love to hear Derek's views on racism and sexism and why the racism and sexism of CIG should be called out WHICH IT SHOULD BE, yet Derek can go on Vox Day's webinar, but won't speak out the racism and sexism shown by Vox Day.

Is Vox Day employed by CIG? Does he have Jpegs?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

STIMSIS posted:

I'm sure if you write a good summary Derek'll put it in the OP, commando

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

STIMSIS posted:

:reddit:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Guys, I think....

Nevermind, I'll let you figure it out.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I agree comando the thign we should focus on is a completely unrelated issue of who Derek talks to

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

STIMSIS posted:

I'M A RACIST??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO I'M NOT!!! I don't like racism not even a little bit that's why I'm upset with Derek for appearing on Vox Day's webinar. All you people that are supposedly upset by racism, are calling me a racist or whatever, won't say the same about Derek because you're hypocrites. How much do you have invested in Derek Smart? I bet not a lot because he makes lovely games. Why not replace him as OP with someone who will actually do the job for a thread that I hear is 600 million miles long

:eyepop:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Adorable, in a sickening way.

Ponzi posted:

I haven't read any posts where people were making fun of Money. In fact, I think the general opinion is that he seems like an alright guy who got reluctantly persuaded to appear on the shows (his job is Video Editor, so dunno what he's supposed to contribute).

His job it to be visibly dying of boredom and lack of purpose

And greeting Sandi, although Disco's version is better

STIMSIS posted:

I'M A RACIST??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO I'M NOT!!!
B'Tak?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Why hasn't anyone told seraph to go gently caress himself yet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

STIMSIS posted:

Not even a penny. I joined Somethingawful because I was all in on making fun of the scam. I don't like scams. So I don't like Derek Smart's SCAM OP, who doesn't update the OP but has time to write blogs elsewhere, make nice packages for Breitbart, and write a book with material generate by other people. Derek Smart is gonna Ryan Archer this thread into a book and what will you say then?

You could pick up a starter package for $45 and there's a free flight week on, use my referral code STAR-X9HJ-SSHF

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

like, seraph has had this exact style of early morning meltdown at least 5 times

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Adorable, in a sickening way.

His job it to be visibly dying of boredom and lack of purpose

And greeting Sandi, although Disco's version is better

B'Tak?

These are really good gifs

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Azram Legion posted:

I can't stand Ben, but it is impossible for me not to feel intense pity for him at the same time. We are talking about a guy who started seeing himself as an undesirable loaf - an eternal outcast - in his childhood. Someone who genuinely does not believe he is a worthwhile being, and tries to hide it behind the weakest, most fragile superiority complex imaginable. His weight has gone up by that of a fully grown human since he started working at CIG, and his boss will constantly make mean-spirited jokes about it in front of the only group of people that actually respect him (because they themselves are lesser versions of him).

Ben Lesnick had a choice, once, of bettering himself, but he has spent so many years just giving up, that actual progress now requires a complete breakdown. His Wing Commander fetish is the clearest example of this: He knows that his life choices mark him as immature and unable to deal with adult life, but instead of accepting this part of himself, or trying to develop past it, he constantly wears it on his sleeve. "Look at me! I am the biggest nerd with the most ludicrous fixation in the world! I am stuck in my early teens!" or "Look at me! I'm so fat that I am disabled, and I pretend to find it funny when my skellington-thin boss makes fun of me for it in front of thousands!" In CIG he has found a work-environment so dysfunctional that his colleagues have to pretend that the symptoms of his horrendous emotional issues are actually cool and good - "Wow! That's a cool tattoo, Ben!" said no one in the world with sincerity.

He is slowly killing himself and his boss and his "fans" clap their hands and ask him to die faster, and he is almost - almost - capable of convincing himself that he is in on the fun, rather than the source of it. If he starts questioning his current position in life, then he has to question so much - every significant choice he has made in his life, his entire identity. Same thing if he questions his past, since every decision he has made since his early childhood is so heavily colored by his unfortunate circumstances, and his poor response to them. To be clear - those poor responses aren't his fault, because he was never taught how to reasonably and constructively respond to things. All he has learned is that he is a big, fat victim, and the only way for him not to be a victim is to find a group of people he can lord over, and then lord with all his pathetic might.

Look at that picture. Sitting at that table are:

- His boss, who will constantly make fun of him for his disability and tempt him into making it worse, while pretending this is fun! (if a company did something similar here in Denmark, that company would be hounded by politicians and the media for months)

- His idol, who he has long ago subconsciously realized is nowhere near the genius that he needs to be for Ben's obsession with him to be justified.

- His wife, who obviously has her own emotional issues (and who will enable him in his race for a heart attack, just as he undoubtedly enables her in private)

- His co-workers, who range from being similarly socially-disabled and therefore sympathetic (Toast), over actively disliking him for bringing up embarrassing but innocent mistakes in public (Lando), to probably feeling slightly awkward around him given how much racist stuff he has written in the past (Justin - is that his name?).

These are the people he celebrates his birthday with. This is his social circle in its entirety, outside of other Wing Commander obsessed misfits online. His bosses said "Ben, we are celebrating your birthday today! Remember to thank me on twitter!" and Ben is left with the following choice: Either accept that his dream-life is (and probably always was and would be) a living nightmare, or pretend that this is all really cool and good, and that he WANTS to celebrate his birthday with these people, and that there is nothing self-destructive about eating until he dies.

Pity the man, for he is lost in a hell that he himself has created, and he does not know how to redeem himself.

:agreed::respek::therapy:

It's very risky to make assumptions about a persons emotions and relationships, but this guy has put so much of himself out for the world to see during this project.

You can see the emotional debt, delusions and inevitable consequences piling up so high it's terrifying. Nothing can or will change until devastating crisis. We are seeing Open Development of mental illness and self harm. Ben is Star Citizen in human form

Trying to empathize with the guy is traumatic and wrenching. I don't recommend it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Come back MoMA, tell us about your lovely belts or something. You seem like such a good poster now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gravity_Storm posted:

STIMSIS nothing you say makes sense. It's almost like you are trying to be clever but in reality you are being very obvious.

You're full of poo poo.

actually, it would kind of be a relief if STIMSIS actually is just a troll, albeit a brazen troll much unlike our good Cobblers

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

reminder that ben said this;

"I would have been back earlier, but I got jewed in CounterStrike, friend of the family. #21,860"

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

moveable shape posted:

I appreciate what you're trying to say here (probably because I'm a mega schizoid) but I have to laugh at the thought that crippling job stress that we all agree is visibly killing him is stability. Hell, losing his job might save his life, you really can't predict that. I agree angry righteous mobs are bad and dumb though

Let me rephrase then: That job at CIG gives him the outward appearance of stability, but no inner peace. Ben probably won't survive the next years unless he gets himself a nutritionist *and* a therapist ASAP.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STIMSIS for op

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

STIMSIS posted:

@Dlg_reddit_generic_response_no_u_0468

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

lazorexplosion posted:

Come back MoMA, tell us about your lovely belts or something. You seem like such a good poster now.

I can respect a man who knows a good belt

come back MOMA

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Do we have any update on status of Star Marine?

You'll see a difference alright.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

STIMSIS for op

Post the new OP in Imp Zone. Stimsis, do it. That's where the cool people post.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

STIMSIS posted:

I haven't even mentioned CIG how can I be shilling for them? It's weird how I get associated with something just by being in the general vicinity (posting in a Star Citizen thread) yet Derek can have a nice warm conversation with a known racist and not have that brush up on his image. Come on everyone here makes fun of Money, that he's some kind of token, this and that. What about Derek? He's a token for the Gamergate movement and appears on their webinars yet Derek Smart doesn't get talked about like Money. Why not?

Hey and if supposedly Derek didn't find out this info on Ben and he's just hanging around being visible but not actually doing anything then he's Money all the more

I'd say it's far more reasonable to conclude you're a SC fan/backer when you're on a paid-access website, posting on a thread specifically about SC, attacking the OP of said thread, than you concluding that "Derek had a discussion with an (alleged*) racist, therefor he's also racist", but without providing any actual evidence, quotes, etc, that show your claim to be true. Seriously, the SC thread, on the SA forums is an awfully specific place to air your grievances with DS.

* - I say 'alleged' because I don't know of Vox Day, outside of seeing their name tossed around a few times. I have no idea if they're actually racist or not, so I'm not informed enough to give an opinion either way.

It makes sense for people to conclude you're a SC fan/backer/shill, because the dots are there, and easy to connect. It's not a stretch to imagine it being the case.
Conversely, it makes little sense for you to conclude Derek Smart is a racist, as you've not provided anything as evidence, well beyond "well he was talking to a racist, therefor racist". It is possible for people with differing opinions on one subject, to have a civil discussion about another.

I'm guessing you won't see the difference there, but it's there.

As for calling Derek a hypocrite over him saying F You to the media. Context is very important here, and you seem to be ignoring it. Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it.

Pratt2112 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 17, 2016

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

moveable shape posted:

Ben is Star Citizen in human form

Trying to empathize with the guy is traumatic and wrenching. I don't recommend it.

This is why I called him the Picture of Dorian Gray for Star Citizen many pages ago. His physical state reflects the state of Star Citizen: It started out as disastrous and has only worsened.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

STIMSIS posted:

If you think I work for CIG you're crazy. I don't have a dime invested in Star Citizen and agree that it is a scam. What I don't like and what brought me to post is that hero worship of Derek. Derek hangs out with racists and his friends don't care. Now somebody that Derek doesn't like is exposed as a racist and Derek's friends care about racism all of a sudden. It's stupid to me. All this talk about how Ben should lose his job. DEREK SHOULD LOSE THE OP. HE DOESN'T EVEN UPDATE IT!!

You;re very persuasiv freind I think its the all caps

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ben might be a horrible racist, sexist, creepy pedorast but holy smokes wait till you get a load of this:

notorious internet warlord derek smart might be a bit hypocritical sometimes

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Pratt2112 posted:

I'd say it's far more reasonable to conclude you're a SC fan/backer when you're on a paid-access website, posting on a thread specifically about SC, attacking the OP of said thread, than you concluding that "Derek had a discussion with an (alleged*) racist, therefor he's also racist", but without providing any actual evidence, quotes, etc, that show your claim to be true.

* - I say 'alleged' because I don't know of Vox Day, outside of seeing their name tossed around a few times. I have no idea if they're actually racist or not, so I'm not informed enough to give an opinion either way.

It makes sense for people to conclude you're a SC fan/backer/shill, because the dots are there to connect. It's not a stretch to imagine it being the case.
Conversely, it makes little sense for you to conclude Derek Smart is a racist, as you've not provided anything as evidence, well beyond "well he was talking to a racist, there for racist".

I'm guessing you won't see the difference there, but it's there.

As for calling Derek a hypocrite over him saying F You to the media. Context is very important here, and you seem to be ignoring it. Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it.

Vox day is certainly racist, but that's not relevant to the whole Benghazi saga.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what are STIMSIS's feelings on the sustainability of fiat currency

but for real though at least Toast can remain coherent while still being indignant

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I need a break from the Lesnickgeddon, so in keeping with the thread, here's what I waste tons of money on (but it's still not as much of a waste as Star Citizen).

This little poo poo was £125, but it's super limited edition, and I loving love Zeta Gundam variants.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

alf_pogs posted:

ben might be a horrible racist, sexist, creepy pedorast but holy smokes wait till you get a load of this:

:eyepop: :vince: :eyepop:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

You convinced me, STIMSIS for OP

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib

Gravity_Storm posted:

You're full of poo poo.

Derek Smart is posting all of Ben Lesnick's racist and sexist internet postings for people to condemn him, that's a fact! Yet, he'll appear on a Vox Day webinar and won't say anything bad about all the racist and sexist things Vox Day has said throughout the years. Why not? Racism is bad or it isn't. I'm on the side that racism is bad so I'll call it out wherever I see it. Not Derek Smart. Vox Day will give him a little publicity and Derek Smart is all over even after the goons said no. In my OP i posted goons calling Derek Smart out. Believe me I like the people here except Derek Smart. If Ben Lesnick was here I wouldn't like him, I'm not a Cig shill. I just like OPs with updated information and OPs written by people that give a drat and OPs written by people that are consistent. Derek Smart is not consistent. One twitter post he's telling the media to go gently caress itself, the next he wants to make nice packages for Breitbart. Come on! Breitbart! Vox Day! Those two hate when people get called out on racism and what's Derek Smart doing? Calling people out on racism. If Derek Smart made that nice package and sent it to Breitbart what would they even do with it? Does Derek not know the focus of Breitbart? It's sad to me that people here won't take a second to think about the implications of all this and instead want to call me a racist????!!!!!!!!! WHy the only thing I've ever done on this forum is call on racism. All you Derek Smarties are the ones defending a racist? Is it because you bought those JPEGS. Too sunk in lost cost fallacy that you can't tear yourself away from Derek Smart or you Derek Smarties thingie is then tainted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

"CHRIS ROBERTS WORKS FOR THE COMPANY THAT MADE THIS GAME!" isn't really enough to get me to want to play. #18,478

• Locked thread