Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

dans posted:

It's all super innocent, we were just a bunch of weirdo Wing Commander IRC babies with too much time on our hands, we had lots of time saved up from not dating to come up with really dumb in-jokes that just sort of perpetuated themselves. We had a rule that we had to say "shields up!" whenever Brooke Shields came on TV so we started saying it in the late 1990s, then it became the 2000s, and now here we are in 2016 and just a few days ago by force of habit I said "shields up" because I thought I saw Brooke Shields on TV.
This is all intensely stupid and that weird kind of innocent bullshit that comes from a bunch of weirdos with nothing better to do than try to make each other laugh. Like a vaguely-Wing Commander-themed FYAD before there were the SA forums.

Let's take this at face value. Let's say that in the 4 years between saying some of this horrible poo poo (while working at a school) and getting employed as the face of CIG, Ben Lesnick grew up mentally at least half as much as he did literally as a person.

Why does he not see anything wrong with this poo poo being still up? Why does he say that he still find the 'jokes' funny?

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

dans posted:

It's all super innocent, we were just a bunch of weirdo Wing Commander IRC babies with too much time on our hands, we had lots of time saved up from not dating to come up with really dumb in-jokes that just sort of perpetuated themselves. We had a rule that we had to say "shields up!" whenever Brooke Shields came on TV so we started saying it in the late 1990s, then it became the 2000s, and now here we are in 2016 and just a few days ago by force of habit I said "shields up" because I thought I saw Brooke Shields on TV.
This is all intensely stupid and that weird kind of innocent bullshit that comes from a bunch of weirdos with nothing better to do than try to make each other laugh. Like a vaguely-Wing Commander-themed FYAD before there were the SA forums.

I used to hang out in irc in the late 90's, I was in my late 20's and most people were younger than me, I can attest to all the weird humor and in jokes and poo poo. Still, lots of people find all the Star Citizen poo poo entertaining and people will use this to spin out more entertainment, regardless of how serious or innocent it really is.

Remember when people thought axe maniac was hilarious then years later after some of his pics got reposted they're all like "omg this guy needs to be in prison".

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

Did you know Lesnick was LOAF?

Anyway, goons didn't dig it up. Lesnick tweeted it himself thinking it would be funny. :mmmhmm:

Of course, I've known him for twenty years.

Jon Do posted:

noone's saying he was dead serious when he said that poo poo, or that the context isn't missing

we're saying that there's no way that these can cover up serious trends of racism and pedophilia in humor

topics which aren't funny

We were young and immature, think back to what GBS was ten years ago, it was a bunch of Olsen twins legality countdowns, ironic racism, and stupid poo poo like that. Not that it's OK, but that was what immature jackasses posted on the internet back then.
We were dumb, guys, dumb enough to see the Wing Commander movie in theaters.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
the 100s of pictures of the news lady is still pretty funny, though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Skoll posted:

So you're a :aatrek: defender in other words?

uuh actually since he specified 13 year olds *consults pedothesaurus* the term is actually 'ebolaphile' it's perfectly natural and furthermore

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Let's take this at face value. Let's say that in the 4 years between saying some of this horrible poo poo (while working at a school) and getting employed as the face of CIG, Ben Lesnick grew up mentally at least half as much as he did literally as a person.

Why does he not see anything wrong with this poo poo being still up? Why does he say that he still find the 'jokes' funny?

Makes you think.

It's not like he's a creeper any more than the average FYAD poster is a creeper. I've said tons of stupid poo poo I don't believe in FYAD that I wouldn't say anywhere else, it's like that. It's performance. It's us holding on to dumb poo poo we did twenty years ago, it's not going to be particularly good, we were children.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

dans posted:

It's not like he's a creeper any more than the average FYAD poster is a creeper. I've said tons of stupid poo poo I don't believe in FYAD that I wouldn't say anywhere else, it's like that. It's performance. It's us holding on to dumb poo poo we did twenty years ago, it's not going to be particularly good, we were children.

Maybe you said it twenty years ago, but Ben was still saying it just 8 years ago :shrug:

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lord Binky posted:

the 100s of pictures of the news lady is still pretty funny, though

Hahaha yeah that was us giving him poo poo because he mentioned meeting a local newswoman from WTTG, he wasn't obsessed with her, we just had a running joke that he was obsessed with her, if that makes any sense.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Lord Binky posted:

boy, don't click on the forum one down from this one... it'd blow your freakin mind!

haven't done that since 2002. really, racism and pedo poo poo in 2016? i mean I figured fyad was still worth avoiding, but drat.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

dans posted:

When it comes to racism you just have to realize you can't hide behind excuses like "in-jokes" or "immaturity." If you put this kind of stuff out into the world, you can't expect people to know your intentions or understand you were just joking, especially because plenty of people who mean exactly what they say will hide behind "just in-jokes" or "I was being ironic" or whatever. It's the same with pedo stuff, people can't really tell if you're going for shock humor or you actually mean it. You, dans, can't even really be sure that he didn't mean it, because you are only privy to your own intentions.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

dans posted:

Hahaha yeah that was us giving him poo poo because he mentioned meeting a local newswoman from WTTG, he wasn't obsessed with her, we just had a running joke that he was obsessed with her, if that makes any sense.

He had a framed photo of her in his bedroom. You can see it in that picture that was posted in few pages back.

Also Ben was still doing this crap when he was 25, you may have grown up but I dont think he did.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dans posted:

looking forward to checking back into this thread in a week when more dirt comes out and the backpeddling gets to "haha no people just said he was a pedo, like as a joke, so you know he ironically hosed some kids to roll with the punches. You kind of had to be there."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

dans posted:

The giant library of pictures of this woman is part of the joke too?

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Nation posted:

is this loving real

spaceship nerds gave these clowns 110 million USD no joke

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
you didnt see the screenshot of ben talking on a forum in 2008 about knowing where kerri lee was for no good reason

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

dans posted:

The over 1200 pictures he still had on his website and which he himself linked to very recently definitely don't show off any kind of obsession, no sireee.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
shields up!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

dans posted:

If I were you, I would have just kept quiet about your association. You had to know as soon as you clicked "Submit Reply" that no one was going to see it from your side.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Can't wait for SA to show we are indeed not an echo chamber by carefully hearing out poster dans despite him defending Ben Lesnick!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

The over 1200 pictures he still had on his website and which he himself linked to very recently definitely don't show off any kind of obsession, no sireee.

No you see his mother was in on the joke, which is why she also taped the news for him to masturbate over.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
if dans isn't trolling ill be disappointed

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
again, sometimes the undertones of a joke are a lot more telling than the punchline

racist pedos can be edgelords too

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

AugmentedVision posted:

Can't wait for SA to show we are indeed not an echo chamber by carefully hearing out poster dans despite him defending Ben Lesnick!

:reddit:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

spacetoaster posted:

Here you go, brother. (this is goon art making fun of that really bad SC fanfic)

I've never heard about Star Citizen aside from the jokes thrown at it in GBS but this is mindboggling. Its like someone looked at WH40K and thought nope, this isnt edgy enough for me.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've never heard about Star Citizen aside from the jokes thrown at it in GBS but this is mindboggling. Its like someone looked at WH40K and thought nope, this isnt edgy enough for me.

Star Citizen backers all have different realities they've given thousands to try to escape to.

They're not pretty.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

xrunner posted:

When it comes to racism you just have to realize you can't hide behind excuses like "in-jokes" or "immaturity." If you put this kind of stuff out into the world, you can't expect people to know your intentions or understand you were just joking, especially because plenty of people who mean exactly what they say will hide behind "just in-jokes" or "I was being ironic" or whatever. It's the same with pedo stuff, people can't really tell if you're going for shock humor or you actually mean it. You, dans, can't even really be sure that he didn't mean it, because you are only privy to your own intentions.

are you a time traveler from old gbs?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

You should scroll back a few of my posts and read the stimpire fanfic.

Oh, and this:

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm a pretty chill guy. It takes a lot to offend me. Ben Lesnick has actually managed to do it with his casual antisemitism.

And while I'm not easily offended, the Anti-Defamation League tends to be. Say hi to them for me, you loving bigot.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

spacetoaster posted:

You should scroll back a few of my posts and read the stimpire fanfic.

Oh, and this:

hmm, he didn't seem to care about the bad N word for some reason

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Lord Binky posted:

hmm, he didn't seem to care about the bad N word for some reason

Yeah, pretty bad self-own.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Maldoror posted:

Remember when people thought axe maniac was hilarious then years later after some of his pics got reposted they're all like "omg this guy needs to be in prison".

No I missed that what happened?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Jon Do posted:

Star Citizen backers all have different realities they've given thousands to try to escape to.

They're not pretty.

You'd think somebody would have come along and undercut Roberts by making a rape mod for Tie Fighter.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4f72t7/data_mining_child_abuse_really/?sort=new

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lord Binky posted:

are you a time traveler from old gbs?

Me? Nah. I haven't posted in gbs ever I don't think - I was lured in from lurking in the games thread. Is this something I shouldn't have said due to forum culture or something? I was trying to be helpful to the guy about why people wouldn't be likely to buy his defense.

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

The giant library of pictures of this woman is part of the joke too?

That was an automated thing, he didn't take a thousand pictures of Kerri-Lee, some of us nerds made a script to grab them and flood him with them.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Nation posted:

he got me. a moment of weakness :(

e: either that or dans just got a call like "hey man can you give me a hand with this sitch"

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

I swear I'm not trolling, I was one of LOAF's Disgruntled Men I swear I am not making this up

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Ben Lesnick - Director at 100 million dollar game company:

8 Simple Rules for Doing My Teenage Daughter. Now that'd be a show. #19,453

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

actually our argument about internet videogame slap-fights is more like the children's fantasy movie lord of the rings, where derek is wrymtoungue and,in conclusion,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/BenLesnickSays

In case you guys want a laugh.

• Locked thread