Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been working with Flour Water Salt Yeast for a few bakes, and the bread is really top-notch, but I'm struggling to find a recipe I can manage a good workflow on.

I know refrigerating dough is an option, but I can't find a spot in the book where he specifically talks about it. If I wanted to refrigerate dough for, let's say 8-12 hours, in which step is the easiest/safest to do it? How long can I stretch that (24 hours? days?) before the bread can't be properly baked.

A lot of his recipes talk about some very specific time frames (having 30-60 minute windows to "properly" start a bake) and I haven't felt comfortable venturing off his timelines yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Final rise.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Huxley posted:

I've been working with Flour Water Salt Yeast for a few bakes, and the bread is really top-notch, but I'm struggling to find a recipe I can manage a good workflow on.

I know refrigerating dough is an option, but I can't find a spot in the book where he specifically talks about it. If I wanted to refrigerate dough for, let's say 8-12 hours, in which step is the easiest/safest to do it? How long can I stretch that (24 hours? days?) before the bread can't be properly baked.

A lot of his recipes talk about some very specific time frames (having 30-60 minute windows to "properly" start a bake) and I haven't felt comfortable venturing off his timelines yet.

Your bulk fermentation is going to give you the most flexibility because it's really not time critical, I've kept dough in bulk fermentation in the fridge for up to up to three days and still got great spring (any more than that and you start getting gluten breakdown working around 75% hydration, dryer doughs will keep longer).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, three days seem to be the limit, although our resident Happy Hat says five. I usually go ~1% yeast and cold rise for 1-3 days. Often I bake part of the dough the first day, part the next etc.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Does anybody have a favorite ciabatta recipe they'd like to share? From what I'm seeing, it's just a very high hydration bread, but I'd just like to make sure before I start baking.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Radiation Cow posted:

Does anybody have a favorite ciabatta recipe they'd like to share? From what I'm seeing, it's just a very high hydration bread, but I'd just like to make sure before I start baking.

I love Reinhart's recipe.

567g unbleached bread flour
11g salt
4g instant yeast
454g chilled water
1 tbsp olive oil

Mix everything but olive oil for one minute, rest for 5, add olive oil and mix another minute. Rest in a greased covered bowl for ten minutes.

Stretch and fold on an oiled surface four times over the course of 40 minutes (rest 10 minutes between each), then fridge overnight.

Next day, remove dough for an hour, turn onto floured surface and cut into two. Don't deflate at all, just do a letter fold and place with crease down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper sprinkled with flour. Repeat with other dough piece. Spray with cooking spray, cover, rest an hour. Turn to creased side up, spray, cover, rest an hour.

Turn oven to as high as it will go with a baking stone or steel in the middle, and a vessel for water at the bottom. Preheat at least half an hour. Once hot, turn temp down to 450F, slide bread and parchment paper onto stone/steel, add a cup of hot water to vessel.

Bake 12 minutes, turn 180 degrees, then another ~15 until cooked through.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
Hi again! I am having an issue with my sourdough starter. It seems very active, but now it starts smelling like pungent nasty wine at about feeding time.

I usually feed once a day, and my process is pouring out about 2/3 (leaving about 4 ounces), and putting in 4 ounces of water and 4 ounces of flour. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Livingston posted:

Hi again! I am having an issue with my sourdough starter. It seems very active, but now it starts smelling like pungent nasty wine at about feeding time.

I usually feed once a day, and my process is pouring out about 2/3 (leaving about 4 ounces), and putting in 4 ounces of water and 4 ounces of flour. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks!

What kinda flour are you using? It should smell keytone-y and vinegary if you let it go.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

I'm using all purpose flour. That is pretty much the smell I get. I feed it at night, and in the morning it smells like nail polish remover, then at night a very strong vinegar/bad wine smell.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Yeah, three days seem to be the limit, although our resident Happy Hat says five. I usually go ~1% yeast and cold rise for 1-3 days. Often I bake part of the dough the first day, part the next etc.

Thanks all for the replies. So in this case would I do the full fermentation out then stick it in the fridge for 1-3 days? Or is it OK to start off in the fridge right after the mix?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Livingston posted:

I'm using all purpose flour. That is pretty much the smell I get. I feed it at night, and in the morning it smells like nail polish remover, then at night a very strong vinegar/bad wine smell.

Are you feeding it once a day and leaving it out at room temp? That seems like an awful long time for it to sit without being fed ( from what I recall, anyway). Old starter smells like hooch and needs to be fed, preferably every 4-6 hours probably.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

dedian posted:

Are you feeding it once a day and leaving it out at room temp? That seems like an awful long time for it to sit without being fed ( from what I recall, anyway). Old starter smells like hooch and needs to be fed, preferably every 4-6 hours probably.

So, I should move it to the fridge and increase time between feedings at this point? I've seen sites saying you should feed once a week once it's in the fridge. Does that sound about right?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Livingston posted:

So, I should move it to the fridge and increase time between feedings at this point? I've seen sites saying you should feed once a week once it's in the fridge. Does that sound about right?

If it's at least doubling in 3-4 hours at room temp (which is like 70 or 75, right?) after feeding, you can move to the fridge at that point. I try to feed mine once a week, but have gone several weeks if I forget. Just stir the liquid that accumulates back in.

dedian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 12, 2016

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

dedian posted:

If it's at least doubling in 3-4 hours at room temp (which is like 70 or 75, right?) after feeding, you can move to the fridge at that point. I try to feed mine once a week, but have gone several weeks if I forget. Just stir the liquid that accumulates back in.

Great! Thanks very much for the help.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've left mine in the fridge for months and it started back up great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, mine was in the fridge for 3 weeks untouched. Fed it equal parts water and flour last night and let it sit on the counter. It's bubbling and overflowing its container when I checked just now.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I made some italian bread for subs.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dedian posted:

Once daily feedings at room temp are fine. My starter has lived on the counter since its inception with feedings every morningish and it makes great bread

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Livingston posted:

If you use equal parts starter and flour you'll need to feed at least twice a day. For once daily feeding try 1.5 oz starter instead of 4.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Made some sourdough pita breads yesterday. They were surprisingly easy! It took me a couple of goes to get the timing right (recipe said 4 mins in the oven but mine took about 7 mins. The pita at the front was a bit too crispy, hence the hole). Delicious!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yo breadgoons. i have been making no-knead bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast and the results have been generally amazing.

the problem i've been having is that the bottom of my loaves have been quite dark -- burned, even. the top crust is perfect, so i don't think i can bake it for a shorter time; i've tried adjusting oven temp down to 450, changing the position of the dutch oven in the oven, nothing seems to help. the bottom of the loaf is always blackened/charred.

anyone have any tips? i feel like my bread is 90% of what i would consider to be a perfect boule, i just can't seem to figure out the last piece of the puzzle

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

WhoIsYou posted:

If you use equal parts starter and flour you'll need to feed at least twice a day. For once daily feeding try 1.5 oz starter instead of 4.

Thanks a lot! I'll try that.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

yo breadgoons. i have been making no-knead bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast and the results have been generally amazing.

the problem i've been having is that the bottom of my loaves have been quite dark -- burned, even. the top crust is perfect, so i don't think i can bake it for a shorter time; i've tried adjusting oven temp down to 450, changing the position of the dutch oven in the oven, nothing seems to help. the bottom of the loaf is always blackened/charred.

anyone have any tips? i feel like my bread is 90% of what i would consider to be a perfect boule, i just can't seem to figure out the last piece of the puzzle

The FWSY loaves, to me, always seem way too dark overall, like burnt. When I use a dutch oven I usually preheat it super hot at 500 for like 30 minutes before putting the loaf in. After 5 mins or so I turn down to 450. I uncover it pretty early usually too, maybe after 25-30 minutes, and pull it after maybe another 10 and it's kind of a caramel brown and maybe the ears start to burn a bit.

Personal preference though that loaf looks like charcoal, but I think all FWSY ones do.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

mmartinx posted:

The FWSY loaves, to me, always seem way too dark overall, like burnt. When I use a dutch oven I usually preheat it super hot at 500 for like 30 minutes before putting the loaf in. After 5 mins or so I turn down to 450. I uncover it pretty early usually too, maybe after 25-30 minutes, and pull it after maybe another 10 and it's kind of a caramel brown and maybe the ears start to burn a bit.

Personal preference though that loaf looks like charcoal, but I think all FWSY ones do.

yeah, i definitely prefer a darker crust, but not as dark as the FWSY dude seems to like -- as i mentioned, i really like the way the top of the crust has been turning out. the bottom just ends up being black and charcoally. I'll try changing the temp after the preheat on my next batch; trying something like that hadn't even occurred to me.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah, i definitely prefer a darker crust, but not as dark as the FWSY dude seems to like -- as i mentioned, i really like the way the top of the crust has been turning out. the bottom just ends up being black and charcoally. I'll try changing the temp after the preheat on my next batch; trying something like that hadn't even occurred to me.

Yeah Forkish is all about those flavors that only develop if you take it that far, but I dunno that char aroma is way too intense for me, and yeah you open yourself up to problems like the bottom burning. This is where I like to take loaves as far as color goes:

Another thing, if the issue is you want your loaves to have a crisper/thicker crust, you can just turn the oven off, take it out of the dutch oven and leave it in the cooling oven with the door closed. A half hour will make it pretty crispy, an hour will give you a workout trying to slice the loaf. The color won't darken any more though. This is the best bread tip that I never see anyone talk about.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

mmartinx posted:

Another thing, if the issue is you want your loaves to have a crisper/thicker crust, you can just turn the oven off, take it out of the dutch oven and leave it in the cooling oven with the door closed. A half hour will make it pretty crispy, an hour will give you a workout trying to slice the loaf. The color won't darken any more though. This is the best bread tip that I never see anyone talk about.

oh nice, i've never heard of that -- i'll have to give it a try. that definitely makes sense, though -- every time i've made garlic bread with my loaves the crust has gotten this amazing crispiness from lightly baking it to melt the butter. right now i only have one dutch oven, though, and since i make two loaves at a time, i won't be able to try it out until i pick up a second.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Glass posted:

Move the oven rack higher up away from the bottom heating element.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Move the oven rack higher up away from the bottom heating element.

my oven doesn't have a bottom heating element.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Glass posted:

my oven doesn't have a bottom heating element.

Hmmmm. Ok, try setting the pot on a sheet of tin foil. That might deflect the heat from the bottom of the pot a bit. I have not tried this myself, but it's all I can think of.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You might also try turning your proofed dough onto parchment paper then just tossing the whole thing into the Dutch oven. I've done that a few times with loaves I didn't feel comfortable picking back up and they seemed to turn out a little less brown (but just as yummy).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I made a potato bread yesterday (which I hosed up because I thought I was all out of sheets, used a pan instead, and seriously hosed up the prepping of the pan, only greasing it) around 40:60 potato:flour...

Then I used it for making french toast today...

This is the most awesome loving thing ever! Better than using brioche for french toast...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I've been making the King Arthur Flour no-knead bread recipe for a couple of weeks now and it always seems to come out really gummy and dense when it's done. I use 807g of AP flour and 100g of whole wheat, but keep the rest of the recipe the same. I bake it in a cast iron dutch oven. I don't have this problem with regular, kneaded-bread recipes, but I like that I can make half a gallon of dough and just make bread throughout the week.

I'm not really sure what to try next. Should I reduce the water content?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have a couple of specifically 18-24 hour+ recipes that they love?
I don't have the option for the many overnight breads (start at 4pm, bake at 8am) and would prefer something i can start when i get home from work, stick in the fridge and then finish the next day when i get home vs a normal/quick rise bread same night.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shnooks posted:

I've been making the King Arthur Flour no-knead bread recipe for a couple of weeks now and it always seems to come out really gummy and dense when it's done. I use 807g of AP flour and 100g of whole wheat, but keep the rest of the recipe the same. I bake it in a cast iron dutch oven. I don't have this problem with regular, kneaded-bread recipes, but I like that I can make half a gallon of dough and just make bread throughout the week.

How long are you letting it rise? In that recipe, the minimum amount of time to allow the initial rise is 2 hours. That's enough for a kneaded dough, but absolutely not enough time for a no-knead dough to create enough gluten. Any time I make no-knead bread I leave it in a warm spot at room temperature for no less than 24 hours before punching it down and fridging it if I'm not baking it right away. Also, the addition of whole wheat flour may be hurting your oven spring since it's simply won't create the volume that regular AP flour will.

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have a couple of specifically 18-24 hour+ recipes that they love?
I don't have the option for the many overnight breads (start at 4pm, bake at 8am) and would prefer something i can start when i get home from work, stick in the fridge and then finish the next day when i get home vs a normal/quick rise bread same night.

Here's the no-knead recipe I use. Make the dough, leave it out for a day, punch it down, let it rise for a couple hours, bake, done. You can punch it down when you get home from work, bake it a couple hours later, enjoy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

i was having similar problems until i calibrated my oven with sugar and found that it was running 50 degrees too hot and that the oven thermometer i bought to figure it out was underreporting that deviation by 40 degrees

the sugar doesn't lie

(sugar shouild still be crystalline at 350 and shouldn't carmelize until close to 370, and this is a 2+ year old oven just barely out of warranty :argh: )

e: also here's a bread

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 3, 2016

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

The Midniter posted:

How long are you letting it rise? In that recipe, the minimum amount of time to allow the initial rise is 2 hours. That's enough for a kneaded dough, but absolutely not enough time for a no-knead dough to create enough gluten. Any time I make no-knead bread I leave it in a warm spot at room temperature for no less than 24 hours before punching it down and fridging it if I'm not baking it right away. Also, the addition of whole wheat flour may be hurting your oven spring since it's simply won't create the volume that regular AP flour will.

Here's the no-knead recipe I use. Make the dough, leave it out for a day, punch it down, let it rise for a couple hours, bake, done. You can punch it down when you get home from work, bake it a couple hours later, enjoy.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I don't leave it out that long at all, I'll try that next. Maybe I can still use the whole wheat flour too.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

i was having similar problems until i calibrated my oven with sugar and found that it was running 50 degrees too hot and that the oven thermometer i bought to figure it out was underreporting that deviation by 40 degrees

the sugar doesn't lie

(sugar shouild still be crystalline at 350 and shouldn't carmelize until close to 370, and this is a 2+ year old oven just barely out of warranty :argh: )

i'll give this a try, thanks for the tip. my oven is fairly new so if it is off it should have some way to calibrate it to the actual temperature (i hope)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Also remember that all flour is different. When I switched from supermarket flour to flour from a near by mill, I had to increase my hydration about 7% to get the texture right again.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

i'll give this a try, thanks for the tip. my oven is fairly new so if it is off it should have some way to calibrate it to the actual temperature (i hope)

An oven that gets 50 degrees hotter than it's supposed to is a good thing if you ever make pizza, as long as you remember not to burn everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Also remember that all flour is different. When I switched from supermarket flour to flour from a near by mill, I had to increase my hydration about 7% to get the texture right again.

I debating specifying what flour I use - I only use KAF