Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The Bay Trail and newer stuff really isn't too bad. Those machines almost always have eMMC storage, instead of spinning rust, which makes them feel more responsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I still use a 2010 AMD netbook. Has a single Kaveri core, but with a fresh Win 10 install and an extra 2GB RAM it's still fine for sitting there playing music through the stereo at work. I wouldn't want to use it for anything more demanding, though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where I compare Intel CPUs clock for clock? Like Say when Broadwell-E comes out on consumer side, I want to compare Haswell to Broadwell-e clock for clock.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

Anyone know where I compare Intel CPUs clock for clock? Like Say when Broadwell-E comes out on consumer side, I want to compare Haswell to Broadwell-e clock for clock.

Just look at the various review sites when they do their reviews of Broadwell-e, they will most likely OC each CPU to the same speed and compare performance across a wide variety of applications, at least that is what they have done in the past.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SlayVus posted:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php have a list of CPUs and their PassMark. No idea how they obtain it, but if they're half decent it should give you an idea how much faster a certain CPU is compared to another one.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Someone gave me this motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-itx/ but it doesn't list the CPU I was going to buy for it in the CPU support list. Is that likely because it flat out wouldn't support it or because they just haven't bothered testing it? This is the CPU I want to buy for it: i5-5675C

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it'll need a new bios, if it'll work at all (some manufacturers don't give new bios to their previous generation same socket boards)

i won't count on it though

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it'll need a new bios, if it'll work at all (some manufacturers don't give new bios to their previous generation same socket boards)

i won't count on it though

drat, it's an expensive CPU so probably too risky.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php have a list of CPUs and their PassMark. No idea how they obtain it, but if they're half decent it should give you an idea how much faster a certain CPU is compared to another one.

I'm more interested in a single core clock for clock comparison. This would, I thought, show how improved one architecture is over another.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KingEup posted:

Someone gave me this motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-itx/ but it doesn't list the CPU I was going to buy for it in the CPU support list. Is that likely because it flat out wouldn't support it or because they just haven't bothered testing it? This is the CPU I want to buy for it: i5-5675C

Hello potential Broadwell-C goon. Unfortunately, Z87 boards don't support the 5675/5775. If you look on the BIOS download list for for the one you got, the latest CPUs supported are the 4690K/4790K, which you'll have to settle for unless you want to keep looking for a Z97 motherboard.

P.S. Is this still the build that's going into the really tiny case?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

P.S. Is this still the build that's going into the really tiny case?

Yeah, I thought I lucked out for a second there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KingEup posted:

I think the Broadwell CPUs can only use the Z97 chipset. It's possible some manufacturer has backported support to Z87 but it's a couple of years old so it's not super likely. You should look at an i5-4690K or i7-4790K.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KingEup posted:

How soon do you need this DOTA console? Alienware Alphas (or Alienware Steam Machines, or Syber (CyberPowerPC) Steam Machines) are still nice for something in that same form factor, especially if a coupon code pops up to slash its price. Its built-in GTX 860M actually edges out the Broadwell's Iris 6200 in performance. You're really not going to see more power in a teenytinybox like that unless you pony up to pre-order the new Skull Canyon NUC (and the parts for it that you have to fill in) or wait for whatever Syber is going to be putting in their new C-series.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingEup posted:

If Z97 will do what you want, what's the problem? Z97 mobos are cheap enough, it's not more than like another $40 or so than Z87.

But seriously, an engineered microbox solution is the way to go with the requirements you've given.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

What's the best CPU for rendering in Maxwell? I heard it's very CPU intensive.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't followed the Broadwell-E rumors all that closely.

Does it seem like there may be any possibility of them being significantly faster than Haswell-E? I doubt it, but thought I would ask as I bought a 5820k, and I really like it, but at the same time I kinda would like a 40-lane CPU if I can recover maybe 2/3rd's of what I paid for it :P

Also: if anyone is interested in an i5 2500k, I have one that I no longer need. Only pay shipping. The reason I'm not trying to sell it is because it's an old cpu, and on top of the build I had it in has some stability problems, so there is some risk that it is this cpu I'm offering, so you'd have to decide whether it is worth the risk of paying S&H for or not.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KinkyJohn posted:

What's the best CPU for rendering in Maxwell? I heard it's very CPU intensive.

Do you mean like CAD or something? A Haswell-E if you can afford it. But you'll probably want a Quadro series Maxwell.

For gaming, the 4690K or 6600K are the best values. The 4790K and 6700K are better, but you could also get a 5820K at around the same price.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Swartz posted:

Also: if anyone is interested in an i5 2500k, I have one that I no longer need. Only pay shipping. The reason I'm not trying to sell it is because it's an old cpu, and on top of the build I had it in has some stability problems, so there is some risk that it is this cpu I'm offering, so you'd have to decide whether it is worth the risk of paying S&H for or not.

Sure, I'll take a gamble - johndmietz@aol.com to set up payment, or PM me :)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you mean like CAD or something?

They probably mean this. Unfortunate coincidence as far as the name goes. The top benchmarks on their website are all Xeons, followed by the 5960X, then the 5930K and 5820K. If a Xeon isn't an option the 5820K seems like the obvious choice.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kazinsal posted:

NATEX usually has a couple in stock. They're used, tested, and in working condition with a 60 day warranty. They're basically a wholesale previous-previous-generation electronics recycling/reseller.

I cannot find this place online. Link?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SuperDucky posted:

I cannot find this place online. Link?

http://www.natex.us/Default.asp

They're pretty picked clean at the moment.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Swartz posted:

I haven't followed the Broadwell-E rumors all that closely.

Does it seem like there may be any possibility of them being significantly faster than Haswell-E? I doubt it, but thought I would ask as I bought a 5820k, and I really like it, but at the same time I kinda would like a 40-lane CPU if I can recover maybe 2/3rd's of what I paid for it :P
If there's going to be a significant difference I guess it'd be something to do with working TSX, although hell if I know how much that'll matter for lower core counts (relative to the higher end Xeons).

And apparently Anandtech put up a review of Broadwell-EP a few weeks ago:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10158/the-intel-xeon-e5-v4-review

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

HMS Boromir posted:

They probably mean this. Unfortunate coincidence as far as the name goes. The top benchmarks on their website are all Xeons, followed by the 5960X, then the 5930K and 5820K. If a Xeon isn't an option the 5820K seems like the obvious choice.

If its anything like raytracing in revit, they're CPU bottlenecked but can scale to as many cores as you can throw at it so Xeons usually fare well because you're getting 8+ of them or whatever. the problem generally is that lots of this software when you're moving through a 3d model normally its bottlenecked on a single CPU thread, so you have to balance CPU clock for normal usage and massive parallelism for render jobs. this could all be sorted out if they just dumped the render jobs to OpenCL/CUDA where it belongs but: LOL that industry is so hosed I'm not holding my breath. What we're currently doing is issuing a normal i5 system with a high clock speed/4 cores for normal design/review usage and then we keep a pool of 2 or 3 high-end xeon desktops with a bunch of cores that people RDP in to when they need to fire off the render job because that is less common.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Friend who works for Intel just told me that they are laying of 12000 jobs which is apparently 11% of their workforce.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-19/intel-cuts-12-000-jobs-forecast-misses-as-pc-blight-takes-toll

That's uh, a big amount.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Friend who works for Intel just told me that they are laying of 12000 jobs which is apparently 11% of their workforce.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-19/intel-cuts-12-000-jobs-forecast-misses-as-pc-blight-takes-toll

That's uh, a big amount.
The PC is dead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm curious to exactly who's getting laid off, supposedly its more so on the software side and at one point Intel tried to make a Netflix competitor that failed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully it's the entirety of McAfee and it doesn't derail the Kaby Lake launch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XPS 13 w/Skylake gonna be the best ultrabook for even longer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

The PC is dead.

Just in time for VR, which requires a very powerful desktop PC!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I'm curious to exactly who's getting laid off, supposedly its more so on the software side and at one point Intel tried to make a Netflix competitor that failed.

I remember when Paul Otellini was trying to push some super-duper DVR in the beginning of the age of streaming. BK came in and said gently caress that poo poo and it got unceremoniously dumped

For the streaming thing, didn't Intel completely misjudge how difficult it would be to work with all the content providers?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember when Paul Otellini was trying to push some super-duper DVR in the beginning of the age of streaming. BK came in and said gently caress that poo poo and it got unceremoniously dumped

For the streaming thing, didn't Intel completely misjudge how difficult it would be to work with all the content providers?
I remember this complete failure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Viiv

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

People wont know until between 60 days or up to not until 2017, so it kinda sucks either way since everyone knows they are coming, but have no idea where it will happen.

It seems to be emphasized on "Global Workforce" so I wonder if it is more trimming the outsourced parts, or just means nobody is safe no mater where you are.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 20, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

People wont know until between 60 days or up to not until 2017,

This isn't entirely correct. I won't correct you, however.

What a time to be an Intel employee!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while - how many Intel employees are on SA?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This isn't entirely correct. I won't correct you, however.

Hope you come through this unscathed. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

mmkay posted:

I'm a contractor here, so far it looks like I am good as I got extended till Dec before this, but you never know with a large Corp either way.

Sadly as a Contractor, I am sort of left out of the loop on all the real Intel inside news and goodness so I have to rely on my Intel buddies here for details, inside job postings, etc. :/

It's a foot in the door at least, but it looks like it may not open for a while at this rate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mmkay posted:

I know of at least 4 who post in SHSC and BFC

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

G.SKILL RAM is temporarily on sale for PAX East for those of you looking to pick up some DDR4 SO-DIMMs for your NUCs or whatever:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007609%20601190333%2050008476

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Microcenter has reduced the price of most (all?) of the Intel CPU's by $10 and the associated combos. That i5-6600K for $199 is mighty tempting.

http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966998/Computer-Parts
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Skull Canyon NUCs are available to preorder on Newegg again gogogo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102166

:shobon: