Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

fyodor posted:

15 pounds started at 6am? Won't that take nearly a day to cook? I guess there has to be an upper limit for 10 or 12 hours for a shoulder?

It's two pieces, so normal time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drat shame you didn't get a bone in but that'll be good.

Not sure about the color for the rub, the thing is probably going to come out looking like a meteor. A delicious meteor.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Costco shoulders end up taking 16-20 hours if I really stick to 225:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sellouts posted:

drat shame you didn't get a bone in but that'll be good.

Not sure about the color for the rub, the thing is probably going to come out looking like a meteor. A delicious meteor.

Meateor

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Hed posted:

My Costco shoulders end up taking 16-20 hours if I really stick to 225:

Hmm, I usually cook a little higher than 225 since I'm often putting other items on, but I've only had it take that long once or twice and that was due to poor temp control and being a bit lower than 225 for a few hours. I am also just below sea level, too.

They already look so good...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mastajake posted:

Nice job! Looks like you had a blast and made some good stuff. I always wondered what the advantage of smoking whole hog was?

It was a competition category, but the advantage is you get shoulder, ham, ribs, cheek, hocks, loin... :)

Pulling the juiciest, tastiest strips off of a spit hog and popping them in your mouth is a fun experience.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Maybe a dumb question, but do you need a blowtorch to light an AMNPS? Something more intense than a Bic lighter?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
you could probably get it going with a bic, I've never tried. That said, it's very easy to light with a torch so if you get frustrated because it's not working as well as you hoped, go get a torch from home depot, or one of those kitchen torches, or one for cigars. All of these will work fine.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I use a kitchen torch (came with a cheap brule kit). A lighter is probably not good enough. A friend of mine uses a soldering iron to start it (takes 10min or so rather than the 3 for flames).

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I bought one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS3000KC-Self-Igniting-Torch-Kit-336626/203368720

Light it up, turn it down very low and stick it in the hole at the end of the mesh. I found that I started to deform the metal mesh when I left the torch tip blast against it.

30 seconds to 1 minute of that, I remove the torch to see if the flame (actual flame, not embers) is stable. I let that burn for 5-10 minutes in the smoker with the lid off then blow it out and cover it up with my food in there.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Greetings Smoking thread It's been a while since I've lurked GWS often and I don't see a grilling thread but had a few grilling/smoking pics I'd like to share. It's been quite a journey to get mildly decent at either. Most of it being that I had lovely grills/smokers. Wall of text engage.

It all started a 5-6 years back when my at the time gf and I got a house

We needed a grill so we bought one of those lovely stainless offbrands on clearance for 125. Other than the cast iron grates it was poo poo and it heated horribly uneven. I would only cook steaks Sousvide because I couldn't get anything decent on that grill.

I wanted a charcoal and found a like new 22" kettle at a garage sale down the street for $30 but figured I would get harped on for having 2 grills so I passed on it.

Later I ask the GF and she was fine with it but it was already sold. I realized my parents had some Weber kettles in their woods, Unfortunately the grills are from the late 60's and pretty beat. This was the nicest one and it's missing all the damper wheels on the bottom and the top is dinged and out of round so bad that it's impossible to cook evenly. I made a beercan chicken and the breast was underdone and the bottom was overcooked because the lid leaked so bad. Without the bottom vents you had no way of really regulating the temps other than guessing how much charcoal to use before you started.

I also got this Brinkman electric smoker as a gift. It works, kind of. It doesn't really seal so it can't really heat evenly. There is no temp control so depending on the ambient temp you could could be way too hot and fast or way too slow, in the fall or winter you need to add boiling water to the pan to hope to get up to a reasonable temp at all.

I then found this 18" Weber in like new condition on Craigslist for $30. It cooks great but is to small both in lid height and diameter to do many of the things I want to do.

So I found this 22" for $10 at another garage sale. It had legs that were wobbly and being from the 1980s the handles were shot. I went through and replaced the handles and screwed the legs in with self tapping screws only to find that the sockets were rusting where they met the bowl and short of re welding there was no way to fix it. I also had issues getting the charcoal to light before my patience ran out. This is most likely from having old coal that I had bought for the previous grills and stored in a garage for a few years because the grills were such pains I never used them.

Seeing as I had issues with the charcoal, my GF now wife didn't want to fool with it at all so last fall she decided she wanted another gas grill. I had used a friends 20 year old Genesis and it was like a revelation to cook on a grill that is actually designed well and heats evenly. I didn't want to pay new prices and actually liked the classic design with the horizontal burners. After looking around craigslist I found this for $125. It needed an ignitor and drip pan but it had all new burners and grates and came with both an LP and NG manifold incase I ever run a gas line to it.

I now had a propane for the wife, cooking rotisserie and for large parties but I still wanted something charcoal that was easy to light and would make a great steak. The one pictured below tasted great but the sear needed improvement. I never could seem to get the coals all lit perfectly no matter how much paper or torch I used and I was constantly worried a leg socket was going to fall off so I decided to look for a performer.

I found a few for 200 plus and some junkers that needed everything replaced for $150ish. I even tried to BIN a NIB one on ebay for $300 that turned out to be a hijacked account scam.

One night I woke up at 11PM and couldn't sleep and noticed this posted 10 minutes before I saw it. I texted instantly and the guy agreed to hold it til the next morning. It even had a full coal bin and a full propane tank and brand new grates.

I could now just pop some coals in the chimney and use the propane start and be ready to cook in 10 minutes with perfectly lit coals. Suddenly I could cook even lovely steaks much easier and with better results.

Even Salmon planks turn out great because all the vents work and I can control the heat as well as a propane grill!

I realized if I liked the 2 weber grills so much I should really look for a WSM to replace my brinkman. I got a bunch of cedar planks and grilling stuff like replacement ignitors on clearance for a dollar at my local walmart so I checked a few other walmarts and found this.

In one week I spent $295 and finished the Weber Patio set.

I did a clean burn on the WSM and then started seasoning it with cheap meat. I know you're not supposed to expect edible results the first few cooks but I figured I would try some smoked bacon.

It was awesome and I made Bacon Lattice and Tomato sandwiches with it.

I then put on a rack of cheap ribs. I didn't expect to eat these and got stuck away from the grill for an hour too long and they were a bit overdone. I also need to adjust how I cook as my electric would barely hit 225 on a good day with a dry water pan so I'm not used to even consistent heat and need to adjust my recipes for shorter cooking times. They were much better than anything that came off the brinkman.

Now that it was broken in I tried pork butts.

Which came out awesome

Then I tried to smoke some Jalapeno Poppers. If you want to find smoked Jalapeno Popper recipes don't google "Smoke Poppers" It'll get weird.

While browsing threads at various BBQ sites I stumbled on the Mini WSMs people were building. I realized there was an old Smokey Joe in the scrap pile in my parent's woods. It needed a charcoal grate but was in decent shape for the years of neglect it had had.

One $8 coal grate + one $11 cooking grate + one $20 el Patron tamale pot + one $7 thermometer and I was in business.

It actually had an extra lid and 2 sizes of diffusers in the pot once I got it home so I just drilled the pot and added the diffusers and an antique pie pan instead of a ceramic plate. It holds temp pretty steady for about 4 hours. Can't get it above 270F and pie pan is a bit small but I can tinker with it. I smoked some more bacon with cayenne and brown sugar to make a recipe called Pig Candy from the Virtual weber bullet. It wasn't my thing but my wife loved it and ate it all.

Now I'm stocking up on meat for the summer. I have a giant chest freezer and have been stalking Sams, Walmart, Woodmans and Restaurant Depot to grab the deals the cold weather has been bringing in the form slow BBQ meat sales. I'm a business member at Sam's and the early shopping hours are a great time to score deals. I got 4 really nice strips for $16.

And today I hit Woodmans to find them blowing out $1.99 corned beef and Walmart by the local sun city has piles of brisket as I'm sure the residents are all still waiting in florida for the weather to warm up. I did some math based on the original prices and figured 162.01 Original Price - 89.80 Discount Saved = $72.21 Totsl for 37.12 LB of BBQ meat

It should be a decent summer. Hopefully the BBQ Gun Goonshoot and Meatshoot happens to tie it all together.

Does anyone have recommendations/recipes for smoking corned beef? I know you can make pastrami and I know you can also smoke it as corned beef but I have never tried either.

A local place smokes 3000Lbs it for St. Pat's But I have never tried it.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/elgin-courier-news/news/ct-ecn-dundee-st-patricks-corned-beef-st-0311-20160310-story.html

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 15, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I almost forgot. Meijer is clearing out their Masterbuilt Electric Smokers for

and 229

I don't know anything about them but I think some goons said they were decent.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pubic Lair posted:

I could now just pop some coals in the chimney and use the propane start and be ready to cook in 10 minutes with perfectly lit coals. Suddenly I could cook even lovely steaks much easier and with better results.

Not a fan of propane grills, they just dont put out the heat I was always wanting. Also from using my parents propane grill with a broken starter is the reason almost all the hair on my hands is burned off.

Its so easy to cook a steak on the weber on the cool side in till 125 degrees and then flip it over the fire to sear to always come out nice. Propane can't even get close to the taste, and the odd thing when something is cooked with propane it always tastes funny... I cant explain it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Not a fan of propane grills, they just dont put out the heat I was always wanting. Also from using my parents propane grill with a broken starter is the reason almost all the hair on my hands is burned off.

There is usually a lighter hole on the side bro. I've never had a starter last more than 1 season.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have a weber genesis and while it's not quite charcoal flavor it actually will peg the thermometer at over 700 degrees. It is great for patties and brats and rotisserie and gets better flavor than most gas grills but still isn't charcoal.

The weber performer I bought is only propane start. It still uses charcoal but has a propane starting manifold that gets a while chimney lit in 5 minutes. It takes about as long as the Genesis to preheat.

I know some people will say to just use a blowtorch. But I've tried that and most torches only put out a small flame and don't really lite a chimney well. Weed burners work okay but it's hard to light a chimney from the bottom with them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I ball up 2 pages of newspaper and put it in the bottom part of the chimney and light them on fire, always starts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Find frozen chicken thighs. Defrost. Pound to tenderness (aayyy). Season with Tony's. Smoke on the Traeger at 250. Serve with steamed spinach and roasted garlic. gently caress yeah Friday.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'd just like to say I love these kinds of posts.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I ball up 2 pages of newspaper and put it in the bottom part of the chimney and light them on fire, always starts.

It does work fine but if your coal is old or possibly damp it takes forever to get hot. Fresh, dry coal or lump is much easier to light.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

fyodor posted:

Find frozen chicken thighs. Defrost. Pound to tenderness (aayyy). Season with Tony's. Smoke on the Traeger at 250. Serve with steamed spinach and roasted garlic. gently caress yeah Friday.

this is my goto grill meal if I've been drinking too much to do anything with skill and I have people coming over. I don't pound them, but they're so good.

Try just smoking them without a rub and using it for chicken salad. Can't go back.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah chicken thighs are basically the entire raison d'etre of chickens afaic. Not that you can't make the rest of a chicken taste good, but you've got to do ten times as much to get half the result. Thighs you have to work really hard to NOT make them awesome.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I buy a few Large Flats of bone in chicken thighs at sams. I then take them and debone them and squirt a bit of sriracha on them then spread it evenly around the thigh with my hands and dust them with a mix of brown sugar and salt plus whatever else I throw in. I then freeze them in bags of 2. I can grab a few out of the freezer in the morning and thaw them in the fridge for dinner. Once thawed they can be slapped right on the grill or smoker. On the grill the Sriracha and the sugar for a nice glaze that is just the right amount of sweet and spicy with the garlic from the sriracha and the chicken fat adding some great flavor.

They go great on Ciabatta

Chopped with some bacon in a salad

Or even just plain.

And by prepping them in a batch it's just as easy to grab out of the freezer and use as unhealthy processed poo poo and is way cheaper to boot.

In BBQ news I decided to try smoking one of the corned beef briskets I picked up to make a corned beef/pastrami hybrid. I soaked it for about 1/2 an hour to get some salt off and lightly dusted it with Pork Barrel BBQ All American Spice Rub. I usually make my rubs but this one was $3 for a 19oz shaker and doesn't contain sugar so I don't even think I could make my own for cheaper seeing as it's all spices.

I also tried grilling some of the strip steaks I had picked up. Once again using properly lit charcoal I had no issues and also grilled the beans in a basket with some of that Rub, garlic and EVOO.

I rested the steaks for 1/2 an hour with pepper and kosher salt on them before grilling. I also cut slits in the fat around the steak to keep it from curling, thanks to whichever goon suggested that.

The steak was really tender to the point that my lovely serrated steak knives ripped it more than cut it. It was awesome.

I had some issues with my WSM. It was 70 when I started but after dark it fell at least 20 degrees and some minor wind kicked up. This time I tried filling the water bowl which seemed to make it harder to hold temp. I also walked over to a neighbors for a few beers and managed to let the grate temp drop to the 190s and the beef actually dropped a few degrees. Once I added coal and stirred it it shot up to 280 and took hours to come down with the vents closed 100% so I figured this would be a dog food roast. But I decided to finish it anyways. I foiled it at 165 with a splash of vinegar and pulled it at 195.

Here it is after a 1 hour rest, looking pretty dried out.

Once sliced it looked much better.

The taste was amazing. Like a mild Pastrami or a smokey corned beef. Carving it I tried a warm piece and it was all salty and smokey and tender and had so much more beef flavor than you get from premade pastrami.

After getting a proper 2 probe thermometer I found my lid temp gauge reads 50F colder than it should so everything I smoked since buying it last week was way hotter than I was aiming for.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 16, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah chicken thighs are basically the entire raison d'etre of chickens afaic. Not that you can't make the rest of a chicken taste good, but you've got to do ten times as much to get half the result. Thighs you have to work really hard to NOT make them awesome.

Breast meat really is the worst part of the chicken. Even that one time I smoked it, it was boring. Protein with some juice if cooked correctly but not much past that unless you marinate the poo poo out of it.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 16, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DiggityDoink posted:

Breast meat really is the worst part of the chicken. Even that one time I smoked it, it was boring. Protein with some juice if cooked correctly but not much past that unless you marinate the poo poo out of it.

Right? It's absolutely bizarre that it's got such cachet to it and costs so much. I honestly feel like I'm sticking it to the man just a little bit every time I buy thighs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Literally the one thing I like about chicken breasts is that they're like 5% as likely to set my grill on fire as a load of thighs are

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

High elevation report:

Did a brisket flat yesterday. Put it on at 5PM at 225 (decided NOT to adjust temp for elevation). I was shocked that by about 6:30 it was already at 160 internal. Foiled the sucker and left the probe in and was pleasantly surprised to see it chug right past the stall (relative to the multiple hours hanging unfoiled in the past). At 10:30ish it was at 195, so I pulled it (I was sleepy and didnt want to trust it to not dry out over night even though my smoker would have happily pegged 225 for a dozen more hours), wrapped it in a towel and into a cooler until morning. Well, it turns out it did NOT go up in temperature after being pulled.

So in the morning I put it still foiled into the oven at 325 and let it get back to to a solid 200 internal. Came out nice and tender and not at all dry.

All in all it came out pretty well cooked. That said, I did this one fat side down. Had a really mild flavor, enough smoke and enough rub, but not a ton of beefyness. Wondering now if having the fat on top might have helped the beef flavor. The rub was a couple handfulls of brown sugar, a couple tablespoons of a couple different peppers and ground mustard, a couple hours before smoking.

So that is my 6500 feet brisket story.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
^This was helpful for what I was about to post --

I'm actually about to put on a 2.5 pound flat onto my smoker for the first time. Never smoked a brisket (even a training wheels one before).

When should I pull? I've seen anywhere from 185 to 195. I imagine two pounds will have around a carryover of around 5 degrees.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Has anyone in the Pacific Northwest compared price and quality at Cash and Carry vs Restaurant Depot? Cash and Carry does not require ID or membership and I was thinking before I spend money on the KCBS membership to try and get into Restaurant Depot I would ask and see if it was worth it.

therobit fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 17, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

You have to know someone who has a small/side business, just ask around. Restaurant depot doesn't care what it is and doesn't even ask for anything but an ein number. If you give them an ein number you get 2 lifetime membership cards for free.

I fix computers and they could care less.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pubic Lair posted:

You have to know someone who has a small/side business, just ask around. Restaurant depot doesn't care what it is and doesn't even ask for anything but an ein number. If you give them an ein number you get 2 lifetime membership cards for free.

I fix computers and they could care less.
It seems to depend based on location. Some stores in NY will demand something to actually do with the restaurant business, while others are fine if you do landscaping or PC repair on the side.

I just asked my local pizzeria owner for his RD card number and I've been working with that so

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

therobit posted:

Has anyone in the Pacific Northwest compared price and quality at Cash and Carry vs Restaurant Depot? Cash and Carry does not require ID or membership and I was thinking before I spend money on the KCBS membership to try and get into Restaurant Depot I would ask and see if it was worth it.

Only tangentially related but I got a 14lb USDA prime packer brisket from Costco in Kirkland for $2.89/lb yesterday and was feeling pretty drat lucky.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tivac posted:

Only tangentially related but I got a 14lb USDA prime packer brisket from Costco in Kirkland for $2.89/lb yesterday and was feeling pretty drat lucky.

Walmart had the same deal going on but I'm about to leave for 10 days and wife says we don't have enough freezer space. :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

therobit posted:

RD will let you wander in without proving you have a membership. I went in a few months ago after buying a KCBS membership and really liked what I saw, especially compared to cash and carry.

If you want to use my membership I could meet you at the woodinville location.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

vulturesrow posted:

Walmart had the same deal going on but I'm about to leave for 10 days and wife says we don't have enough freezer space. :argh:

I smoked mine right away, 3:30AM - 4:00PM yesterday. Turned out amazing, some of the best brisket I've ever had.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I ended up using the smoked corned beef in Ruben Rolls.

I found out my local sams was clearing that rub out at 3.01 when I went back and bought the last one. The other sams near me had them for regular price.

I wanted to make ribs but figured I'd use the second rack on my WSM and speed up the break in. So I made some chicken pops on the bottom. They finished first in 2.5 hours.

Here are the finished ribs

I sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled that all american rub on, then basted them with Homemade BBQ and let them cook another 1/2 hour after they had pulled back some and passed the bend test.

I used this for a sauce http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html and added habenero tabasco and cayanne to half the recipe so I had a spicy version for my wife.

They were a tiny bit tough even after around 6 hours on the smoker. But I'm still breaking it in and it won't seem to hold temps below 275. If I adjust the vents and it'sholding steady at 225 it dies out after 30 minutes and drops below 200. if I open them up it shoots to 275. Even with a full waterpan. I'm hoping once I get a layer of crud on the inside it'll stabilize closer to 225. I'm about 1/2 way to full nasty on the inside walls. They were also in my freezer for a year and one rack was on a foam tray while frozen and probably was a bit freezer burned.

The ribs/sauce tasted great, here with some baked cauliflower thing my wife made and I had to pull the ribs based on it's schedule.

I left all the onion and garlic in and just used a stick blender on the sauce so I could put it in bottles.

Back to gas grilling not being hot enough to get a good sear. As I said before I bought a used weber genesis of craigslist for $125 and it sears and tastes great. Maybe not quite as good as charcoal but better than any other grill I've tried. I've been keeping an eye out for a second one for my parents. They have a 20-30 year old sunbean lavarock grill that I use a few times a year to cook for parties. Being a lavarock grill it flares up like crazy and heats like poo poo.

I found them this for $40.

It worked but the burners were iffy, the ignitors needed to be replaced (flame box was bad on main one) and the two casters were ruined by someone moving it with them locked. It was $80 for all the parts at my local ace.

The lid thermo is actually a neat design where it doubles as a removable meat probe and when used in the lid sticks down far enough to get a grate temp instead of just a lid temp.

Cold

2 minutes 460F

5 minutes 620F?

8 Minutes 7 something?

But keep in mid this is the old style Genesis with the horizontal burners. From googling message board posts the newer style ones with the knobs in the front don't get as hot. But pretty much anything on the grill can be replaced very easily and cheaply so I have no problems buying a used one and fixing it up for 70% of MSRP. The lady I bought the newest one from also had a 2 burner genesis for $20 that sold as I pulled up,

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 18, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pubic Lair posted:

But keep in mid this is the old style Genesis with the horizontal burners. From googling message board posts the newer style ones with the knobs in the front don't get as hot. But pretty much anything on the grill can be replaced very easily and cheaply so I have no problems buying a used one and fixing it up for 70% of MSRP. The lady I bought the newest one from also had a 2 burner genesis for $20 that sold as I pulled up,

I have a new Genasis and I can confirm it will get that hot. Has a separate sear burner as well.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Probably just people who tripped their regulators then. I do think the newer style burners give a bit more flexibility for indirect heat but they never seem to come up used for the prices the older grills do.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I made 10lbs of pork shoulder on Sunday, but forgot to take fully done pics because I had an army of hungry family brooding over me.

I could get used to this.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Pubic Lair posted:

I found them this for $40.

While I normally think side burners are silly, I have come to love mine on my Genesis 3000 (in beautiful blue). Fill up a chimney full of charcoal, throw it right on top of that burner and boom, no fuss fully lit charcoal for my WSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

While I normally think side burners are silly, I have come to love mine on my Genesis 3000 (in beautiful blue). Fill up a chimney full of charcoal, throw it right on top of that burner and boom, no fuss fully lit charcoal for my WSM.

I bought a performer for that but if you don't mind your side burner getting all fucky that's probably the only good use for a sideburner. I've had ones on older grills and I've never used them other than to say I've used them. And they usually can barely keep lit if there is any wind so you can't actually depend on using it to cook food.

Sidenote: Lighting chimneys on the sideburner is a bit dangerous due to having a propane tank directly below the burner, I'd check the connections with soap everytime I changed tanks. If a lit coal fell onto the tank and it had a leak that would not be fun. One time as a kid I was working a food booth at a Street Fair/carnival and a pre OPD tank hose somehow melted and caught on fire and went spinning across the parking lot shooting flames out as people scattered. I think you'd have a hard time getting the tank to detonate but it could easily start a fire.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 19, 2016