Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could probably just base a cartoon on the idea of Sburb and time travel loops and have it be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Or alternatively just create the SBaHJ movie for real and have it be great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm down for whatever Hussie's planning.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Same.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm down for whatever Hussie's planning.

Until the bitter end.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
the homestuck tv show will just be The Big Bang Theory, except reshot with people dressed as homestuck characters. karkat is sheldon

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

youre my favorite hamsteak

cathead posted:

I know everyone's still having all kinds of fun gettin real mad about the ending, but some weird stuff is going down.

Dante Basco is apparently officially part of the ~Homestuck team~ now. And there's allegedly a tv show in the works if you believe reddit posts. I guess that team is what he's been calling Homestuck 2.0? Also there's a Youtube channel?

What the gently caress are you planning, Hussie?

finally, the dream of hot topic stocking homestuck merch can become reality

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

im pretty sure theyre already stocking homestuck merch

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

http://www.hottopic.com/pop-culture/shop-by-license/homestuck/

(it's only one shirt but technically...)

e: oh no, wait, they do have a tonne of other Homestuck shirts in the related links. They're just not in the category for some reason.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I really hope Hussie got royalties for that

I'm glad Hot Topic doesnt exist in my country

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
man i WISH hot topic existed in my country, so i could wear a really obnoxious-looking shirt, ironicaly,

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

man i WISH hot topic existed in my country, so i could wear a really obnoxious-looking shirt, ironicaly,

nice try dirk, we know everything you do is sincere, hiding behind an ironic mask

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
me, with tattoos on an arm, and a spikey wristband: ha, yea... my t shirt has cartoon aliens on it. you got a problem with that

some doushe: (thinking to himself) drat!! this guy is cool. i bet he has a popular blog and a girlfriend who cosplays, and a LOT of money.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

nice try dirk, we know everything you do is sincere, hiding behind an ironic mask

the truest irony should be completely indistinguishable from sincerity to everyone; both to the onlookers, and to the satirist himself.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
free yourself from irony samsara

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Freak Futanari posted:

me, with tattoos on an arm, and a spikey wristband: ha, yea... my t shirt has cartoon aliens on it. you got a problem with that

some doushe: (thinking to himself) drat!! this guy is cool. i bet he has a popular blog and a girlfriend who cosplays, and a LOT of money.

they arent "aliens" if your already from Alternia, such as myself. guess you arent a true Homestucker after all

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Poultron posted:

they arent "aliens" if your already from Alternia, such as myself. guess you arent a true Homestucker after all

i mean the weird assholes without horns

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

I really hope Hussie got royalties for that

I'm glad Hot Topic doesnt exist in my country

They had a whole homestuck fan shirt design contest

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Freak Futanari posted:

the homestuck tv show will just be The Big Bang Theory, except reshot with people dressed as homestuck characters. karkat is sheldon

"HEY SHITSTAIN, THAT'S MY SPOT" [laugh track]

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

we can start the Big Bang Theory AU right here, right now. we have that power

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

free yourself from irony samsara

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I look forward to the spectacular end of THE REAL HOMESTUCK by Freak Futanari in another seven years

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Are there Homestuck Funko Pop figures yet? You know the ones where every character has a giant cardboard box for a head?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Keiya posted:

Are there Homestuck Funko Pop figures yet? You know the ones where every character has a giant cardboard box for a head?

I've had some people ask for them where I work (pop culture store) but no word from anyone, even though I think it would fit the style pretty well.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Would they want to do those when they already have their own vinyl figures that look nicer than the funko ones?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
screw dumb bobblehead figures, where are the homestuck bishoujo figures?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Can I get a bishoujo figure based on caliborn's anime art

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Can I get a bishoujo figure based on caliborn's anime art

youll have to handle it with thick gloves so you dont gash your hands open on the edges

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Would they want to do those when they already have their own vinyl figures that look nicer than the funko ones?

There's terrible Funko figures of everything else, including lots of things with other, better figures available, so probably.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Gotta include these

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Plom Bar posted:

Perhaps. It could also be a pretty decent idea.

Nope. Unless you're willing to throw out literally everything about Homestuck that makes it distinctive in order to make it work in a televised format, including but not limited to: its supreme nonlinearity, its penchant for irony, its refusal to have characters directly address each other for over half the comic (subclause: the fact that characters are never in the same location for over half the comic), its supremely wandering storyline, its bloated and poorly characterized cast, and incredibly didactic and singular speech dialog rhythms that absolutely 100% would not work on television.

Also its godawful ending.

So basically everything that everyone defends as essential to the homestuck experience would have to be removed for a television show. And, even then, if it were live-action it would have to have an enormous budget or it'd look like poo poo. Being animated would remove virtually all of its more mature edges and be its own horrible nightmare idea.

I used to entertain the thought experiment of what homestuck would be like as a television show, but I've quickly realized that in order for it to work it would have to be a straight-line narrative that removes at least 75% of the cast, which Homestuck turbonerds would absolutely throw a fit about every single essential change there would need to be made just to be comprehensible as a television program, much less good.

It'd be what ASOIAF turbonerds who still think that series is good (it's not, to be clear) do whenever GoT makes a change to "the canon", except about ten times worse because at least ASOIAF follows a more-or-less linear path with a lot of cruft that can be folded down. Homestuck fans are under the incorrect assumption that stuff like the beta trolls, the double prototyped sprites, the alpha kids, the dreambubbles, even huge plot events like the retcon are all essential things to the homestuck narrative when they absolutely are not, and basically need to be removed as a change-of-form concession.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 20, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Gotta include these

how have i never seen these before

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Plom Bar posted:

Gotta include these

what's snoop's title

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Bard of Time.

... god, it's kind of depressing I can tell from the outfit.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Heir of Kush, Mage of Dank, Knight of Herb, Bard of Blunts, Prince of Indo, Lord of that Sticky-icky-icky no stems no seeds no sticks (oo-wee!)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

All I said was it could be decent.

edit: also kinda lolin at the idea that if it were an animated series it'd have to be family friendly. Like have you seen cartoons lately

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 20, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like making a good TV show out of Homestuck is an insanely challenging thought concept. Assuming a best-case scenario of HBO deciding to do a Game of Thrones thing (which is already a loving massive assumption) and throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at whatever production studio, "What Pumpkin Studios" or whatever, decides to produce this. Let's just go over the myriad problems in detail.

If you go live-action, which is the best shot a Homestuck TV show has of being good. Okay, first problem first. Gotta get a showrunner. And don't say Hussie, because that's a horrific idea. He's already shown to be an awful manager, considering his numerous and legion production delays on the base product itself. Even besides that, keeping the creator of an adapted work too close to its production creates a whole bunch of problems, as TWD attests; Kirkman has basically run out every single showrunner that tries to maintain creative control of the work, combined with AMC folding like so much wet paper every time Kirkman pushes the issue. Game of Thrones is able to avoid it by keeping Martin on an incredibly short leash and only letting him write one episode a year (under heavy supervision and ultimate control lying in David Benioff and D.B. Weiss). On top of that, Hussie has never written for or managed anything to do with television in any professional capacity.

So now we need a showrunner, and we need a good one, and we need a passionate one, because Homestuck is a loving nightmare factory of a work to adapt since basically absolutely everything about it needs to be rewritten heavily and entire plot points and concepts need to be eliminated or reduced to be comprehensible. Whole arcs need to be reworked for the screen, on top of basically every single line of dialog or way it presents its story needs to be reimagined for a televistic medium. And from where I stand, I can't really think of a good, passionate showrunner that understands the very post-modern and heavily internet-now perspective Homestuck approaches that currently isn't working. The closest I got would be like...Dan Harmon, especially since he's a giant loving nerd-rear end nerd and likes super conceptual stuff, and he's got something approaching a similar sense of humor to Hussie's, but that's...kind of...it. I dunno.

And then there's the nitty-gritty of it. Being generous and giving Homestuck ten-episode, hourlong seasons I could see like, three of them- MAYBE three and an incredibly short final fourth season - at most. There's just not enough content once you eliminate, edit, or rework all the stuff that's bad, goes nowhere, is intentionally or retroactively pointless. Just off the top of my head, you have to remove all the Exile stuff (or rework them to be far more narratively crucial, and even then you should eliminate all the exiles who aren't PM or maybe WV), the entirety of the Midnight Crew intermission (it's too complicated a story and SS just confuses the medium without heavy explanation distinguishing him from Jack Noir), the entirety of the Dancestors and HIC, you have to rewrite the alpha kids incredibly heavily to the point of being completely different characters. The retcon would either have to be eliminated as a storytelling element or given far more focus than it is, you'd have to eliminate any Hussie appearance. Caliborn and Calliope would have to be reduced in scope or effect, especially the former since he breaks the fourth wall so heavily. The dreambubbles poo poo is its own nightmare, and I'm still unsure how you'd integrate Meenah in a way that feels organic without being overly complicated. Aranea would have to be heavily rewritten, you can't have a character be that intentionally insufferable, boring, and long-winded in a medium that emphasizes pacing and narrative flow like television. All the double-prototyped sprites would have to be straight up removed from the story, no ifs ands or buts. I'm still unsure how you'd even explain concepts like Skaia, the chess game, prototyped endbosses, the rings, the ultimate goal, Prospit, or Derse in a way that feels organic and comprehensible without it just being a giant exposition dump (that would be quickly forgotten in the intervening months that subsequent episodes aired). It would be a completely different piece of media, and one that eliminates any and all time loops and most nonlinearity outside of only the stuff that Davesprite does (since it's so central to his character and can't be reworked otherwise).

After that, you're looking at Acts 1-4 being roughly "Season one", Act 5 being "season two", and Act 6 being Acts 6 and 7, or Act 6 with the final confrontation, climax, and epilogue consisting of a four-episode event miniseries at most. And that's assuming that the show would keep the retcon and making it valuable by actually living in the post-retcon world for several episodes before closing the story out.

The irony is that at this point Homestuck would be easier (and probably better) to adapt as a movie trilogy (or, rather, a movie trilogy with a two-part final movie as every fantasy adaptation has now become). The even heavier restrictions movies give, combined with their extremely short economy of storytelling and wider audience (with wider budgets) would turn Homestuck into an action-fantasy epic with a strong sense of humor and a weird awareness of the internet - think something like Guardians of the Galaxy assuming a particularly idiosyncratic director like Rian Johnson, Duncan Jones, Edgar Wright, or Spike Jonze. And honestly, at that point that'd be the best fate Homestuck could have - Homestuck is great at presenting BIG IDEAS, its followthrough and pacing were where it becomes a mess. The slower pacing, lower budgets, and heavier emphasis on characterization of television would require insanely heavy restructing of basically everything about the comic, as opposed to a movie - even a movie series - basically taking all the big plot points of the comic, and combining it with the naturally broader characterization of movie characters to make a big dumb action epic with weird Time poo poo and a good sense of humor. Of course, the irony is Homestuck fans would have kittens over even the concept of Homestuck being boiled down to something as "base" as a Marvel movie, so it'd be a real monkey's paw scenario.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Plom Bar posted:

edit: also kinda lolin at the idea that if it were an animated series it'd have to be family friendly. Like have you seen cartoons lately

There's a difference between "hard edge" animated storytelling and dealing with genocide, imminent omnicide, and the very mature topics like constant murdering that Homestuck trades in. Unless you think that it'd be picked up by either FX or [as], in which case expect an FX or [as] animated series budget. ie, virtually none. ie, eliminate its otherworldly conceits and huge and varied sets and eliminate most of your cast because you literally will not have the budget to keep a cast as large as what Homestuck utilizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

There's a difference between "hard edge" animated storytelling and dealing with genocide, imminent omnicide, and the very mature topics like constant murdering that Homestuck trades in.

I kinda skimmed your last post but you mentioned Dan Harmon so I'm guessing you have at least a peripheral familiarity with Rick and Morty, yes?