Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MattWeaverSBN/status/721909226864513024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
You know everyone that travels long distances to the race picks the fall race instead of the spring race, but the amount of empty seats was crazy--there's no way they were at half capacity. And it's not like they can remove seats like some of the other tracks. On the aerials you could also see that the lots around the track that used to be huge amounts of merch trailers, corporate displays, and corporate hospitality were largely empty also.

Exactly ten years ago, they were sold out for the 30th+ race in a row there and I remember buying a ticket from a shady dude on the parkway in front of the track. Protip: waiting until an hour before a sporting event starts can net you a sweet deal from a guy with a pocketful of tickets.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Michael Annett is my new favorite driver

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

SPiTZ posted:

You know everyone that travels long distances to the race picks the fall race instead of the spring race, but the amount of empty seats was crazy--there's no way they were at half capacity. And it's not like they can remove seats like some of the other tracks. On the aerials you could also see that the lots around the track that used to be huge amounts of merch trailers, corporate displays, and corporate hospitality were largely empty also.

Exactly ten years ago, they were sold out for the 30th+ race in a row there and I remember buying a ticket from a shady dude on the parkway in front of the track. Protip: waiting until an hour before a sporting event starts can net you a sweet deal from a guy with a pocketful of tickets.

In 2002 my mom just called up the ticket office and was like "hey do you have any tickets" and somehow that managed to work and I still don't know how.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Reed Sorenson and Jimmie Johnson win this. Special shoutouts to Chris Buescher and Landon Cassill.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
allow me to complain about empty seats in a series that funds its races via TV and owns the tracks outright

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Say hi to Twitter and Facebook, man!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lntmJtuArNg

(Matt DiBenedetto's neighbors and friends in Hickory ambushed him after finishing 6th.) :3:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
That's seriously cooler than any driver's win this year.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

L_Harrison posted:

That's seriously cooler than any driver's win this year.

Yeah that was awesome. I can't believe how many cars finished on the lead lap that you'd think would have no chance at it. Besides DeBenedetto and Bowyer, all the Roush cars, Landon Cassill and Chris Buescher all finished on the lead lap while Jimmie, Kyle and Kenseth all had problems and finished off the lead lap. Pretty cool to see the underdogs get one over on the big guys every once in a while.

The Jr comeback was fun to watch and mid-late race when Jimmie was racing Allmendinger for the lucky dog was loving hilarious to watch. They were just beating the poo poo out of each other for that position.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

allow me to complain about empty seats in a series that funds its races via TV and owns the tracks outright

About that...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

....and a 3.2 dominates nearly everything on what is essentially a dying medium

the thing that's gonna kill NASCAR is their inability to "get" the internet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A dying medium for practically everything except live sports, which is unfortunately what NASCAR is.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's fine, but there's also the pesky fact that in the realm of auto racing it crushes everything else

look, if I was wrong 5 years ago when I talked about how Indy's sub 1's were gonna kill that series, the gently caress is a 3.2 gonna do to NASCAR

I bet they made money on that 3.2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i suspect those ratings are worse for NASCAR than most sports since they're on a broadcast network and thus less impacted by cord cutting

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

That's fine, but there's also the pesky fact that in the realm of auto racing it crushes everything else

look, if I was wrong 5 years ago when I talked about how Indy's sub 1's were gonna kill that series, the gently caress is a 3.2 gonna do to NASCAR

I was really surprised how much NASCAR got for their current TV deal. I guess networks are desperate for live sports. But yeah for sure with their TV deal they're still making plenty of money.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

the thing that's gonna kill NASCAR is their inability to "get" the internet

This. I also want to complain that ARCA doesn't stream races not broadcast on TV. Like, why not? How much would a few cameras and a skeleton crew really cost?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Didn't ARCA try pay streaming for a race last year and charged something like $20 for the stream?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

VikingSkull posted:

They make money from all the sponsors they poach and all the fans they gouge and all the teams they gently caress over as well but I don't know if it's a sustainable model.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

They make money from all the sponsors they poach and all the fans they gouge and all the teams they gently caress over as well but I don't know if it's a sustainable model.

if they keep signing more expensive tv deals nothing else really matters I guess

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

With ratings in the low 3s for Bristol they aren't going to be signing many more.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There's a fan movement developing to get Matt DiBenedetto in the All-Star Race.

(Insert Let's Run This poo poo Into The Ground.gif here)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's a fan movement developing to get Matt DiBenedetto in the All-Star Race.

(Insert Let's Run This poo poo Into The Ground.gif here)

I'd support this idea.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Peanut President posted:

With ratings in the low 3s for Bristol they aren't going to be signing many more.

Well they got til 2024 to worry about that... For better or worse.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

spring Bristol race

when the August one draws 3's this one will be in the 1's

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

spring Bristol race

when the August one draws 3's this one will be in the 1's

It's been around 3 for a while (on major networks). Last year's Bristol night race was 2.1 (NBCSN).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Xfinity race was really great.

The Cup race was pretty meh, but sometimes it's good to see a guy dominate just for variety's sake.

Bring on Richmond.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BMB5150 posted:

Well they got til 2024 to worry about that... For better or worse.

Who the gently caress signs an 8 year tv deal

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Who the gently caress signs an 8 year tv deal

Indycar signed a 10 year deal with Versus. I hope it was a rhetorical question

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Any long term TV deal would be done with a get-out clause for the network. I know Fox have a get-out clause in the 10-year UFC deal they signed so they can drop them if the ratings get too low so there's no way they didn't put that in the Nascar contract as well.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

L_Harrison posted:

It's been around 3 for a while (on major networks). Last year's Bristol night race was 2.1 (NBCSN).

oh yeah that's right it's on cable now

welp I guess that's how they excused it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also I will be dumbstruck if by 2024 they haven't figured out internet streaming and a way to track viewership

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

also I will be dumbstruck if by 2024 they haven't figured out internet streaming and a way to track viewership

This is the organization that didn't learn of unleaded fuel until ~2006.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Smoke is critical of the less-than-five lugnut rule, concerned about the frequency of loose wheels, and is threatening to go nuclear if somebody gets hurt because a tire with three lugs secured comes flying off.

http://usat.ly/1STY2sX

If this and the barbs thrown at Brian France earlier this year are any indication as to post-retirement Smoke, :suspense:.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
"We shouldn’t be playing games with safety to win races," is absolutely right in my mind, but I always felt like the official over your shoulder counting to five was way too much so I don't know what the gently caress any more.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They should adopt the single center locking nut like IndyCar and F1 use.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

This is the organization that didn't learn of unleaded fuel until ~2006.

they'd still be using it if public pressure didn't force them to change because leaded fuel is excellent in high compression engines

e- also without looking it up I'm fairly confident that more leaded race fuel is used in the US (today, right now) than unleaded across the board.... I might be wrong on that though

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 21, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR and F1 are in similar spots, really. everyone assumes management is stupid because they haven't yet capitalized on the streaming market; the reality is that it would be detrimental to do so while they can still pump so much money out of the networks.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

NASCAR and F1 are in similar spots, really. everyone assumes management is stupid because they haven't yet capitalized on the streaming market; the reality is that it would be detrimental to do so while they can still pump so much money out of the networks.

Jeff Zucker used to talk about “trading analogue dollars for digital pennies.” You can also call it digital disruption. Brian France is milking as much money as he possible can now because he knows in the future those revenues won't be there.

(In case it wasn't clear, the streaming market is where you go to lose profits)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Jeff Zucker used to talk about “trading analogue dollars for digital pennies.” You can also call it digital disruption. Brian France is milking as much money as he possible can now because he knows in the future those revenues won't be there.

(In case it wasn't clear, the streaming market is where you go to lose profits)

jeff zucker can talk that way because he's ultimately a middleman and that's not a business that will exist much longer. from his perspective he's right: those revenues won't be there because his business is not needed. NASCAR will not need to sell their product to FOX so FOX can distribute it. NASCAR can stream it directly to the customer. and maybe those revenues won't be there, but neither will the outrageous costs of traditional television. there are a lot of benefits to vertical integration.

(in case it wasn't clear, the streaming market is where you go to gain profits, unless you're a company whose sole business model is based on it being difficult and expensive to do something the internet does for pennies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
If I could pay a monthly fee and subscribe to steam all of the races, I would pay $15 or $20 per month for the privilege. That seems like pennies to me.

• Locked thread