Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Goobs posted:

why are people still comparing SC to one of the most successful game studios in the world? I don't understand what their fascination is with blizzard.

when a blizzard game or expansion gets delayed, I don't care because i know it's coming out eventually.

compare that to.......what in SC? every milestone missed (them possibly not even being in the final product apparently), cutting out entire modules, etc? I don't understand the connection.

also the guy saying the 40k community is toxic. 40k has NOTHING. NOTHING on Star citizen in terms of toxicity. the SC community is by far the most revolting, disgusting, racist, sexist, etc community i have ever seen online. 40k people argue about lists, weapon loadouts, they don't defend the face of a company being a racist stalker who chokes himself on footlong hogeys while jerking off to the thousands of photos of some 5/10 news lady.

the SC community consistently amazes me with it's loving stupidity.

tbf 40k is preeeetty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

u ok commando?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mkay, who at CIG is NOT a mod? Seriously here.

If it wasn't for people like Sandi (being generous here), Alexis, or the lore mistress, I would say this is one big little boy's club, where everyone is important, and girls are icky.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

hahahaha its still hilarious that sandi and chris tried to pretend that they werent a couple. like why would you even try. why

Because Sandi? And he was hoping the staff actually thought he was in charge and not a power bottom?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf 40k is preeeetty bad

i haven't experienced anything even close to what the SC community produces on a daily basis in 5 years of doing the 40k thing. not even close.

then again I don't go to the 40k reddit page because reddit is for fuckbois and neckbeards. it's full of people who think their opinions matter, and they don't.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lol, I love it. Starting a thread in order to have an argument about something is forbidden. Heaven forbid you say anything that anybody disagrees with otherwise you're automatically get your thread closed if anyone argues with you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Goobs posted:

then again I don't go to the 40k reddit page because reddit is for fuckbois and neckbeards. it's full of people who think their opinions matter, and they don't.

I think we've found the common thread here

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Kakarot posted:

I think that Cymelion fella is Toast

Whoever it is, they're absolutely in the top 5 shitest shitizens. Just seeing the outline and bolding of that reddit post sent a shiver of contempt down the spine.

Goobs posted:

why are people still comparing SC to one of the most successful game studios in the world? I don't understand what their fascination is with blizzard.

my guess is they are all wow burnouts who believe they understand game development

Solarin fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 20, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Reharakhti posted:

I can't keep up with this thread, is the game done yet?

Space games are easy, I've got physics and stuff
Not quite Solar Plebeian level, but I like how this thread spawns video games :v:

Still wanna play though.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Would love to see procedural birds in a game where it could actually be a sane design decision and gameplay system.

The Adventures of SpaceCat in the Bird Galaxy

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Solarin posted:

I adore when the sunk costers face the paradox of 'for ship real life value to increase in the game's launch, then the game will have to be an excruciating grind. If the game is an intolerable grind nobody will play it and ships will be worthless and I'll be a high status loser in a dead game'.

They often argue that 'well you can't call something which is inherently fun a grind! there will be so much to do and such a big world that it will NEVER feel like a grind. Therefore everything is okay and good because the money I set on fire actually was a sound investment'

How could any gamer who has touched or seen literally any MMO ever since the inception of the genre be this loving dumb? If there are significant, powerful rewards available in an even vaguely competitive game then attaining those IS the goddamn game. The system will be broken over the spergs and cheaters knees in the first hour of the live game

I'm starting to believe that CIG will address (not actually keep since there's no game) this promise by removing the whole premise of a player driven economy. No trade of any kind between players, no possibility of a fluid currency value. Exactly what everybody is expecting right??

Exactly. It's happening right now. Look at The Division - a fun shootyman concept in a fidelitious setting which has seen the game designers bent over and buttfucked by Spergs using any means possible to hammer the endgame in pursuit of loving gloves and holsters!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There was a discussion a bit ago as to problems with Valve, what has been happening on that particular front of late, has something gone horribly wrong?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Morning yall

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

The current free fly event looks like it'll be about 2/3 as successful as the previous one in terms of new accounts. Both free fly events had basically 0 impact on revenue as far as I can tell.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Solomonic posted:

ZenMaster of Londor

Meet at Firelink, you bring the estus

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Thoatse posted:

u ok commando?

starcitizen.gif

this is flawless :O

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Goobs posted:

i haven't experienced anything even close to what the SC community produces on a daily basis in 5 years of doing the 40k thing. not even close.

40k nerds get really testy really quickly when you point out how much of a Starcraft ripoff it is though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I dreamt that Sandi bought my SA account for 10k dollars and I was able to get my first house loan cause of it, thank you Star Citizen :unsmith:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

boviscopophobic posted:

The current free fly event looks like it'll be about 2/3 as successful as the previous one in terms of new accounts. Both free fly events had basically 0 impact on revenue as far as I can tell.

Hey Bov, can you talk a bit about how you're collecting this? It's not from the public google docs spreadsheet right?

Second question - you pointed out the 15k data point a while ago, and then later said it fell off/the total decreased but you didn't have hour to hour specifics. How did you spot the change? Can a daily total fluctuate several days after the fact?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My three favorite threads right now are this one, the GOP primary thread, and the one about a nearly dead third-rate wrestling promotion possibly being taken over by literal Nazis.

I guess I love chaos and failure.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Wise Learned Man posted:

Elodie Yung will play Sandi. She looks like Sandi wishes she used to look like, while actually being as young as Sandi pretends to be now.

The whole point of Sandi's character in the Star Citizen movie would be exactly that she is pretending to be younger. You don't go to the side of the scale where you pick an actress younger than her, you pick one older.

Get someone that looks somewhat good but is obviously late 40s or so, and then have her pretend to be 10-15 years younger. (Christa Miller is 52, have her claim to be 30-35 and use head shots from the drew carey show for everything) Have a riveting scene where she shows up to a casting call with a head shot from the last millennium and someone calls her out on it.

You have to get a good actress to mix the subtle desperation with the psychotic swings though, so Sandi wins in the end. The only person that could play her part in life is someone who can act!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I don't get why they are doing free fly weekends if the game is in the state it appears in the :pgabz: videos.

If they had a mostly solid vertical slice then that would make some sense, but from what I've seen looks like it's only going to decrease confidence in those who haven't bought in already and make them wait until the game is finished.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Trapezium Dave posted:

I don't get why they are doing free fly weekends if the game is in the state it appears in the :pgabz: videos.

If they had a mostly solid vertical slice then that would make some sense, but from what I've seen looks like it's only going to decrease confidence in those who haven't bought in already and make them wait until the game is finished.

Maybe they're hard up for money.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

I heart Limmy

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Well yeah but I thought they were trying to appear like they weren't.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dongattack posted:

I dreamt that Sandi bought my SA account for 10k dollars and I was able to get my first house loan cause of it, thank you Star Citizen :unsmith:

Don't rule out this as a possibility, I'm not kidding.

You need to subtly convince her that your account's UserID in the database is 424242 and inhabited by an powerful machine spirit (pick dead ultra-rich and well known capitalist god... probably Steve Jobs) which will undermine her enemies social media actualization ability and boost her energy crystal focusing potentialities. It will even harmonize with her blessed chip amulet and compel Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson accept Sandi's superiority

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boviscopophobic posted:

That's interesting, can you also include a line for the time immediately prior to the event so we can see if it actually made any difference to what was happening anyway?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SQL Divination Sessions start at $400 per query and tell her you are booked out six months but can move her up at the express 3x rate. You can do this, the power is WITHIN YOU just FOCUS and CREATE the reality you desire (Sandi's money becomes your money)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So you're saying now wouldn't be the best time to preorder the manual on setting up private servers?

I cant believe they are still selling that poo poo, even after Lando stated it was never going to happen until very late after release?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Solarin posted:

Hey Bov, can you talk a bit about how you're collecting this? It's not from the public google docs spreadsheet right?

Second question - you pointed out the 15k data point a while ago, and then later said it fell off/the total decreased but you didn't have hour to hour specifics. How did you spot the change? Can a daily total fluctuate several days after the fact?

Originally I wanted to try to figure out how many purchases were coming from whales versus "ordinary" backers, so I set up some polling of the funds/fleet/"fans" at finer than 1 hour intervals (the idea being that fewer purchases would be lumped into each data point, thus easier to disambiguate). Unfortunately this plan was made before I understood how the tracker was affected by melts, non-purchasing citizens, non-ship funding sources, the different update schedules for fleet counts and citizen counts, etc. so the original goal ended up being impossible. However, the current data is good enough to see when a large transaction comes in and to estimate trends.

As for the troll/cancelled Completionist purchase, it ends up looking like this:

The raw funding increment is the difference in the funding tracker between successive updates. Note the large $15k spike and the later negative spike for nearly $15k. Since other purchases can fall into the update window, we don't expect those spikes to be exactly +/- $15k.

If you check their funding tracker and ask for the "Day" history, you can get the totals for the last 7 days. I checked after April 17, and the day totals that they reported are what you would get if you cancelled out the original $15k purchase. Thus the day-to-day breakdown differs from what you would see in real time. i.e. if you were constantly watching their daily funding graph like a hawk, it would have changed to reflect the cancelled purchase.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

I think this guy had a little too much Amontillado

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

only one of you dicks thought my cat was cute

rude

you do have an excellent cat :eonwe: please post more of her

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

hakimashou posted:

That's pretty much the only answer at this point.

If they had enough money they would just be content with whatever amount of people wanted to play it (or not even release this piece of poo poo in the first place and continue on with in house QA)

But no they are doing ever increasing sales and "PLEASE PLAY THIS" events, precisely as money rumors surface. The whales are probably mostly dried up and they are desperately luring in more to feed the furnaces for 300 employees in 3 countries with 4 mocap studios and 0 other income.

In no other sense does is it a good idea to get people to play their lovely tech demo. They should be embarrassed of it but it's all they have and they are trying to monetize it however they can.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

to

to

to

to

to

:five::five::five::five:

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 20, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Solarin posted:

Don't rule out this as a possibility, I'm not kidding.

You need to subtly convince her that your account's UserID in the database is 424242 and inhabited by an powerful machine spirit (pick dead ultra-rich and well known capitalist god... probably Steve Jobs) which will undermine her enemies social media actualization ability and boost her energy crystal focusing potentialities. It will even harmonize with her blessed chip amulet and compel Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson accept Sandi's superiority

The computer chip I wear on my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I scam whales with a bro who has a pilgrim cross. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations, etc ever since I was a child. Nobody knows it's a Scam chip but me and my bros. I have seen it glow with the number 42 while scamming with a bud thats how I know this is real. You can be on Reverse the Verse for as long as you want but I need a picture of your pubic region preferably wearing a pilgrim cross before I waste my time.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Chalks posted:

That's interesting, can you also include a line for the time immediately prior to the event so we can see if it actually made any difference to what was happening anyway?

Here you go. I don't have to point out where the two free fly events are because it's pretty clear from the graph.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Yes to the above :five:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SharkTattoos posted:

Play 100-200 hours with the same entertainment level as watching a movie in the theatre.
Play 500-1000 hours with same entertainment level as Bioshock
Play 2000-4000 hours with same entertainment level as Eve or Elite.

It's pretty obvious that Chris really believes he can pull off a video game with the entertainment value of a movie - which is laughable because it's not the right goddamn medium for such a thing. There simply isn't a market for $10/hour entertainment in video gaming. (BattleTech pods er uhm yeah okay)

Citizens are under the impression that you will spend hundreds of hours grinding having fun to afford a single large ship, and can lose it if you don't insure it correctly.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Truga posted:

Hello! My name is Truga and I'm an original backer. And you're just plain stupid stupid.

Every so often, I get on star citizen chat and bring up the controversial topic of "why can't I earn UEC in the PU yet?" People then proceed to go batshit insane, saying "alpha has exploits, what if people farm 3 billion credits before relese", as if having an extra column in the account table for the duration of testing is such a big deal, or even worse, "no, then everyone will fly the ~best ship~ after a week", as if it loving matters. Both answers are actively bad for the game, and for testing. But the tone of their answers is saying the even dumber thing - "I paid hundreds of dollars for this ship, you can't have it you aurora pleb". Which I wish I was.

I backed elite and star citizen for too much cash when it looked like they might not hit their crowdfunding goals. Not for the ships - elite didn't even offer any ships past super basic poo poo in even the highest tiers, and the only ship that looked kinda cool in the star citizen lineup was merlin - but to chip in a couple extra cents to get the projects made. Back when it looked like elite kickstarter was literally just riding the star citizen hype at first glance, and it felt like it was a huge risk compared.

But now, Elite is giving me "free" expansions for that money, and I can play a fairly stable and fun game while waiting for it to have more ever more and better features. Meanwhile, croberts decided I don't really get anything for my early cash after game launch (a thing that has been looking increasingly unlikely every day for over 2 years now), except a sq42 "mission disc" I'm not even interested in. Also, PU is a piece of poo poo that's never getting fixed at current rate of changes that are happening.

It's funny, too. I kickstart a shitload of games, buy a lot of early access poo poo, including some fairly risky proposals, and my current batting rate would be 100% despite that, if not for star citizen. And SC looked like one of the more solid projects I backed. I guess running a scam leaves you more time with dealing with appearances, as opposed to wasting it on making the game?

Croberts really does deserve Derek at this point.

Ok. Now tell us how you really feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Risc1911 posted:

I think this guy had a little too much Amontillado

You obviously don't understand english sentence development.

• Locked thread