Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Saw a buff dude in the corner taking his shirt off and start flexing in the mirror during gym rush hour, sure he was big but why the gently caress would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Narciss posted:

Can someone explain why I should bother getting 'fit' when all that matters to Women is FACE, HEIGHT, and FRAME? Take a look at these 2 guys:

Women will always get wet over the guy on the right and ignore the guy on the left. Know why? Because the guy on the right has FACE, HEIGHT, and FRAME. Physical attractiveness (and Psychological attractiveness, but I won't get into that now) are genetically pre-determined. All lifting does is make you look like an overcompensating gymcel unless you have FACE, HEIGHT, and FRAME.

How big is his dick though?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lord Tywin posted:

Saw a buff dude in the corner taking his shirt off and start flexing in the mirror during gym rush hour, sure he was big but why the gently caress would you do that?

Because he knew you would look over

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I thought heavier deadlifts over squat was the norm?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Booties posted:

I thought heavier deadlifts over squat was the norm?

Unless you're a massive pro powerlifter wearing all the gear, yes, it is the norm.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Lord Tywin posted:

Does he look like a body builder? It's a bit obnoxious, but body builders gotta practice their poses somewhere. Bet he got mad twinks in heat from it doe.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the rule of thumb for increasing volume in a lift before moving up to heavier weights/less reps? I'd like to get my squat up to at least two plates (225) for a comfortable 5x8 by the summer; I just squatted 205 for 5x6. There was some talk a couple of pages back about dropping down the weight and increasing the volume but I think that was more about struggling with a plateau, which I don't really think I am - in the past month I've actually been able to comfortably add 10lbs each week up to 205x5x5 last week (so I held it there today and did six reps instead of five). Should I keep holding at 205 and go for more reps each week, and if so at what rep range should I add more weight? Or should I just stick with the 5x5 and add 5lbs next week?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the rule of thumb for increasing volume in a lift before moving up to heavier weights/less reps? I'd like to get my squat up to at least two plates (225) for a comfortable 5x8 by the summer; I just squatted 205 for 5x6. There was some talk a couple of pages back about dropping down the weight and increasing the volume but I think that was more about struggling with a plateau, which I don't really think I am - in the past month I've actually been able to comfortably add 10lbs each week up to 205x5x5 last week (so I held it there today and did six reps instead of five). Should I keep holding at 205 and go for more reps each week, and if so at what rep range should I add more weight? Or should I just stick with the 5x5 and add 5lbs next week?

The only rule is to keep doing things that work until they stop working.

And yes that was specifically about plateaus.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

notZaar posted:

270 vs 200.
That's fine, your deadlift should be much greater than your squat. As long as you're still making progress on both, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Knight posted:

That's fine, your deadlift should be much greater than your squat.

Not for most people

http://strengtheory.com/help-squat-catch-deadlift/

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Do you feel like you're still maximizing gains with a 5x5 routine or do you ever feel run down from all the volume? I switched to 3x5 once I started hitting 190x5x5 which was also my approximate body weight. I felt guilty I couldn't do 5x5 anymore but I also made constant gains on 3x5 up until I switched to 5/3/1

Edit: oh yea I had this on my clip board but cumpster beat me to it http://strengtheory.com/help-squat-catch-deadlift/

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
A small update - I've mentioned I got some autoimmune poo poo and was inactive as gently caress for many years, last year , 8 months ago I started strength training. Well:
I had non alcoholic fatty liver: Today it was comfirmed to be gone.
I had a resting pullse of 82... Today it was rated: 58 (while in pain after lovely liver biopsy).

I struggle with joint pain and exhaustion, but I still push myself to the gym because gently caress being sick... and now it's paid off like this. 58 resting pulse.. Never in my life Id imagine such. #NeverGiveUp. gently caress autoimmune poo poo.

Looking forward to more beastly body improvements! (btw, liver biopsy loving hurts like poo poo).

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
https://youtu.be/1pyo2OAKW4Y

Sounds like a crazy accomplishment overcoming that liver fat. Is the auto immune stuff pretty bad? Like worth trying stuff to see if it could improve?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Most people aren't lifting in the elite range, where a 20lb difference between their 595 squat and 615 deadlift is more normal. A 70-50 lb difference is absolutely expected for intermediate and advanced lifters, and I don't see why you'd want to tell someone lifting in the novice range otherwise.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Knight posted:

Most people aren't lifting in the elite range, where a 20lb difference between their 595 squat and 615 deadlift is more normal. A 70-50 lb difference is absolutely expected for intermediate and advanced lifters, and I don't see why you'd want to tell someone lifting in the novice range otherwise.

I guess it depends on "should" or "should end up". I always think about end goals.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My gym has this big rogue multi-rack thing in the middle of the weight area. It's got 4 stations which is cool, but there's this dumb loving seam in the floor matting/carpeting/whatever that runs diagonally through it. So 2 of the stations have a spot where if you try and stand there for something like squats, your foot will sit on the seam. The problem is that the two sides of it aren't even, it's like between 1/8 and 1/4 inch difference meaning you can't squat with your feet flat without walking outside the range of the safeties.

Also my gym is full of college assholes who gather around various machines and just sit there and chat and leave weights lying all of the drat place but I've ranted a bunch about that before.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No gurls in my gym in the morning when i lift

loving bullshit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just an ancient man and some form of teenaged twink with me

At least all the stations are basicakly free

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Urrrrgh building muscle takes too long and today some of my lifts are down slightly and I want all the test and HGH and CREATINE my body can handle :black101:

But, I'm benching 80kg for 8 reps at 67kgbodyweight so it could be worse I guess...

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Pesmerga posted:

But, I'm benching 80kg for 8 reps at 67kgbodyweight so it could be worse I guess...

How could it be worse? It is almost impossible for an adult human male to weigh less than you.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Hardawn posted:

https://youtu.be/1pyo2OAKW4Y

Sounds like a crazy accomplishment overcoming that liver fat. Is the auto immune stuff pretty bad? Like worth trying stuff to see if it could improve?

It's not something that will kill me, but it's draining energy so, it's annoying - hampering ability to work full time. But , things are improving - I am confident if I push my body harder and harder in the gym I will overcome it some day. :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ZigZag posted:

How could it be worse? It is almost impossible for an adult human male to weigh less than you.

Well poo poo. :smith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ZigZag posted:

my doctor told me my "ideal" bodyweight is less than that and I laughed my way out of his office.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Renegret posted:

my doctor told me my "ideal" bodyweight is less than that and I laughed my way out of his office.

Renegret posted:

I have a small frame :smith:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
80x8 is a decent set whats you are max?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

Stupid doctor, he should have known you have the wisdom of GOONS on your side

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
gently caress your imbecile out of shape poo poo doctor and trust the brofessors

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Lifting at 7am owns, I wish I was on paid leave full time.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I had 3 cheeseburgers for lunch from leftover patties. Hope this fuels a good back and shoulder workout.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

No gurls in my gym in the morning when i lift

loving bullshit

When I go I see a variety of girls in leggings working out :shrug:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

ZigZag posted:

Eh, I've weighed about 65kg before when I had a six pack.

The reason? In order to get my six pack I lost a good bit of weight, which included muscle. I was a sad about that, and needed to work my way back up.

But hey! I had a six pack when I needed it!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i got visible abs even at the height of my bulks, even with lovehandles

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Generally you need something like 8-10% body fat to have very visible abs, right? So if you have very visible abs while bulking, either you're doing a very clean bulk or your body just shows it better than mine.

Congratulations, everyone's body and experiences are different! You've cracked the code!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Renegret posted:

My doctor told me I should lose 30 pounds so that I weigh the same amount as I did in college. That was the extent of her reasoning and advice.

I have ignored her.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

jm20 posted:

When I go I see a variety of girls in leggings working out :shrug:

:mad:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Generally you need something like 8-10% body fat to have very visible abs, right? So if you have very visible abs while bulking, either you're doing a very clean bulk or your body just shows it better than mine.

Congratulations, everyone's body and experiences are different! You've cracked the code!

and my code is better :smug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't have a six pack even when I weighed 155lbs, I've stopped chasing that dragon.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Any UK swolegoons looking to increase protein intake should check out LIDL they have a high protein bread roll in the bakery that has 27g per roll and costs 29p

They actually taste okay to.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Was watching some guy do deficits DL with 95 and a rounded back. Proceeds to load up to 185 and continue. Adds a belt and up to 235, deadlifts with a rounded back and a belt. Did 2 reps, back is now tired/broken and coaches his friend to do the same thing :iiam:

Now he's squat Unracking 95 from a crouched good morning hmmm.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is he swole?

• Locked thread