Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, customer support is answering one kind of email, at least. Maybe it's because I called them ION Storm.

lol

can't wait til ray roocroft is anger-posting itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tortolia posted:

Ask him if it was assembled by pikeys

jfc if you do one thing, do this. They'll never refund you anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CabaretVoltaire posted:

eh didn't that guy just say "pikey"? It means the same thing as chav to most people
Go say it to an Irish Traveller, see how he brushes it off.

Right after he brushes the teeth off your face.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can't wait til ray roocroft is anger-posting itt.

if my name sounded fake id be pissed too

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wowzers

That's the twitter racist right?

We're at the point now where you can't just say "twitter racist" because CIG has several now.

Oh snap! I've been punished severely!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi,

please remember to call your parents every so often. they raised you with love and would like to hear about how your life is going, your hobbies/work etc.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

tooterfish posted:

You put it in a much less offensive way that I was going to. Well done.

But yes, "Pikey" is a racist slur, and really offensive.

http://www.srtrc.org/faqs#faq4466

quote:

Gyppo and Pikey are extremely racist and offensive towards anybody from any of the Traveller groups as both of them have a history of being used to hurt and offend people. These words should never be used even if it is towards someone who is not a Gypsy or Traveller.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

tooterfish posted:

I'll try it next time one offers to tarmac my driveway.

I'm all for ripping Star Citizen but this is just some customer service guy right who said something 99% of people aren't even aware is racist ? If he's upset the Irish Traveller community then let big joe joyce sort him out.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

please remember to call your parents every so often. they raised you with love and would like to hear about how your life is going, your hobbies/work etc.

I'm currently writing my parents (and most of my friends and family) an essay about why star citizen sucks. I'm at 13 pages right now and I haven't even gotten to Ben or just how janky the ship models are.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

What's the opposite of grief? I think I'm experiencing it.

Feirg?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf 40k is preeeetty bad

One of my favorite moments was when someone got a refund and then said they'd spend it on buy GW miniatures :doh:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xaerael posted:

You know, I'm going to have such fun when they stream this week.

I hope you all have your sacrificial accounts ready.

Victory conditions:

1. A solid feed of <message deleted>
2. A chat slowdown with a solid wall of <message deleted>

And the grand slam victory will be:

3. Chat shut down.

Like we made them do here:

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
People are joking stuff like "Ask him if it was assembled by pikeys". If you really found it offensive you'd be calling that stuff out. Can we stick to the mess that is Star Citizen

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CabaretVoltaire posted:

I'm all for ripping Star Citizen but this is just some customer service guy right who said something 99% of people aren't even aware is racist ? If he's upset the Irish Traveller community then let big joe joyce sort him out.
It's funny you maintain pikey isn't a racist word whilst clearly being incredibly loving racist about the people it's a pejorative towards.

Sandi, is that you?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

One of my favorite moments was when someone got a refund and then said they'd spend it on buy GW miniatures :doh:

"I saved my money from the fire! Welp, time to shred it!"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if you could link the Ben quote bot up to twitch chat

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Now SurfaceDetail is shifting into CIG shill mode....

For the charges, I think there are three routes:
1. Financial Crimes involving buyouts / tax evasion in US, UK, or Germany. This is the simplest criminal act, as it involves no new laws.
2. FTC hitting Chris Roberts for not behaving with fidicuary responsibility for backer money. This is more complicated, it holds that CIG spent money in a reckless manner without considering the long term health of the firm and the ability to deliver a product. The Hollywood studio, high buildout costs, excessive salary would all fit under this. However, a charge here would set new legal ground for crowdfunding. CFA's can be hit by this, but I don't know if a similar law would apply to CIG.
3. FTC hitting CIG for fraudulent misrepresentation of the state of the game for the purposes of raising money. This is akin to an investment scam, where the person selling the investments lies about the state of the company. For CIG, this applies, because CIG continually promises a fast developing firm so as to raise more money.

The last two routes are more speculative, but CIG is the test case for large scale fundraising and its failure may lead FTC to try and set some legal precedents.

Also, did anyone catch Roberts starting to shift the blame to backers if CIG closes prematurely for lack of funds?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

My parents were horrible and abused me. My life, health, and happiness hasn't been better since I cut contact with them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Am I now stalking FOX 29's Kerri Lee since I have several pics of her on my puter?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

he also said that today was the day he would be walking into a federal building ........... with Legal

Are vet offices federal buildings?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, customer support is answering one kind of email, at least. Maybe it's because I called them ION Storm.

I'm really tempted to narc on them to the Los Angeles County Department of Building and Safety. If that door is intended to be a means of egress, it must meet the following requirements for both a horizontally sliding door and an access-controlled egress door. These excerpts are from the 2012 edition of the International Building Code, which is a little more complicated than just a garage door opener:

quote:

1008.1.4.3 Horizontal sliding doors.
In other than Group H occupancies, horizontal sliding doors permitted to be a component of a means of egress in accordance with Exception 6 to Section 1008.1.2 shall comply with all of the following criteria:

1. The doors shall be power operated and shall be capable of being operated manually in the event of power failure.

2. The doors shall be openable by a simple method from both sides without special knowledge or effort.

3. The force required to operate the door shall not exceed 30 pounds (133 N) to set the door in motion and 15 pounds (67 N) to close the door or open it to the minimum required width.

4. The door shall be openable with a force not to exceed 15 pounds (67 N) when a force of 250 pounds (1100 N) is applied perpendicular to the door adjacent to the operating device.

5. The door assembly shall comply with the applicable fire protection rating and, where rated, shall be self-closing or automatic closing by smoke detection in accordance with Section 716.5.9.3, shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 80 and shall comply with Section 716.

6. The door assembly shall have an integrated standby power supply.

7. The door assembly power supply shall be electrically supervised.

8. The door shall open to the minimum required width within 10 seconds after activation of the operating device.

1008.1.9.8 Access-controlled egress doors.
The entrance doors in a means of egress in buildings with an occupancy in Groups A, B, E, I-2, M, R-1 or R-2, and entrance doors to tenant spaces in occupancies in Groups A, B, E, I-2, M, R-1 or R-2, are permitted to be equipped with an approved entrance and egress access control system, listed in accordance with UL 294, which shall be installed in accordance with all of the following criteria:

1. A sensor shall be provided on the egress side arranged to detect an occupant approaching the doors. The doors shall be arranged to unlock by a signal from or loss of power to the sensor.

2. Loss of power to that part of the access control system which locks the doors shall automatically unlock the doors.

3. The doors shall be arranged to unlock from a manual unlocking device located 40 inches to 48 inches (1016 mm to 1219 mm) vertically above the floor and within 5 feet (1524 mm) of the secured doors. Ready access shall be provided to the manual unlocking device and the device shall be clearly identified by a sign that reads "PUSH TO EXIT.” When operated, the manual unlocking device shall result in direct interruption of power to the lock-independent of the access control system electronics-and the doors shall remain unlocked for a minimum of 30 seconds.

4. Activation of the building fire alarm system, if provided, shall automatically unlock the doors, and the doors shall remain unlocked until the fire alarm system has been reset.

5. Activation of the building automatic sprinkler or fire detection system, if provided, shall automatically unlock the doors. The doors shall remain unlocked until the fire alarm system has been reset.

6. Entrance doors in buildings with an occupancy in Group A, B, E or M shall not be secured from the egress side during periods that the building is open to the general public.

I haven't looked to see if California has their own modifications of these sections, but knowing CA, they would probably be more strict if anything.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jon Do posted:

One time I met someone and they asked me if I liked Insane Clown Posse.

I replied with an exasperated "loving magnets..."

There was a lot of anger.

I wonder if there are Shitizen Juggalos.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003

tooterfish posted:

It's funny you maintain pikey isn't a racist word whilst clearly being incredibly loving racist about the people it's a pejorative towards.

Sandi, is that you?

No all I'm saying is this isn't some big GOTCHA it's just some dumb customer service rep who said something dumb, that the majority of people aren't aware is racist. Most people think it's the same thing as a chav or just a thief.

I've read through this stuff and no one here has acted genuinely offended, just delighted to have found a stick to beat the guy with and suggesting pikey jokes and references to send to him and the devs.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Ahh the ol' "ignorance" defense for racism.

gently caress you. With a brick. In your loving teeth.

signed,

A goon of Romani ancestry

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

runsamok posted:

Ahh the ol' "ignorance" defense for racism.

gently caress you. With a brick. In your loving teeth.

signed,

A goon of Romani ancestry

Not really doing a lot to dissuade people from their stereotyping with this response I fear.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Ash1138 posted:

2012 edition of the International Building Code

Wait am I reading that right in that all I need to do to unlock any automatic door is start a fire?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

spacetoaster posted:

We're at the point now where you can't just say "twitter racist" because CIG has several now.

Oh snap! I've been punished severely!

I still hate the fact I wasn't quick enough to chip in a reply with something like "Well, at least you can fix it, unlike the bugs in Star Citizen".

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

CabaretVoltaire posted:

No all I'm saying is this isn't some big GOTCHA it's just some dumb customer service rep who said something dumb, that the majority of people aren't aware is racist. Most people think it's the same thing as a chav or just a thief.

I've read through this stuff and no one here has acted genuinely offended, just delighted to have found a stick to beat the guy with and suggesting pikey jokes and references to send to him and the devs.

"It's okay to be racist against Irish Travellers & Romani because everyone is racist against them & most people don't even understand it's racist because it's so often used as shorthand for criminal or lowlife without considering the racist undertones so that's okay"

gently caress you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Chalks posted:

Not really doing a lot to dissuade people from their stereotyping with this response I fear.

:getout:

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Ash1138 posted:

I'm really tempted to narc on them to the Los Angeles County Department of Building and Safety. If that door is intended to be a means of egress, it must meet the following requirements for both a horizontally sliding door and an access-controlled egress door. These excerpts are from the 2012 edition of the International Building Code, which is a little more complicated than just a garage door opener:

I haven't looked to see if California has their own modifications of these sections, but knowing CA, they would probably be more strict if anything.

It's probably not an egress door.

Also what a dumb fuckin thing to lie about if that email is true. That's an expensive fuckin door. Basic super market sliders are $9,500 installed.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Chalks posted:

I didn't say a fellow Roma should hit him in the face with a brick, more whomever is around him at the time. All races, all creeds, all peoples should come together to beat this man with a loving brick. Like a United Colours of Benetton, only with masonry-based dental work.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

quote:

Am I now stalking FOX 29's Kerri Lee since I have several pics of her on my puter?

Anything sub 1000 is just casual interest imho

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

He's funding... funding.
That's novel, i guess.

A bit like watering water.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

runsamok posted:

All races, all creeds, all peoples should come together to beat this man with a loving brick. Like a United Colours of Benetton, only with masonry-based dental work.

I have trouble seeing legal sign off on this, but that's definitely a promotional campaign I could get behind.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If you're ever not sure whether a phrase is offensive to any type of group of peoples then this is what you do keep your mouth shut

I know right, works almost everytime unless you're good friends with psychics, but gently caress psychics....loving mind reading shitwigglers.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CabaretVoltaire posted:

No, I'm fairly sure the majority of people (in the UK) are aware exactly what it means. We've all seen Snatch.

You reeled off most of the stereotypes, so you certainly knew exactly what pikey meant.

CabaretVoltaire posted:

This is how this thread reacts to everything...

Also, "goons being offended" isn't a terribly good barometer for what's socially acceptable.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

It's okay, guys, Ray's taking it back.

http://youtu.be/dWdVwt2deY4

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

orcinus posted:

He's funding... funding.
That's novel, i guess.

A bit like watering water.

He's fertilising dreams.

rabblerabble
Mar 24, 2016

orcinus posted:

poo poo. I forgot to look at the fuel gauge.
I'm stuck in a system with a loving red dwarf and only enough fuel for supercruise.

Bleh. Time for sleep, i'll mourn my exploration data tomorrow.

I messaged you but call the Fuel Rats, they'll get out out of your scrape : http://www.fuelrats.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lladre posted:

Except 40k is eleven years older. I still have the original rule-book. It is chock full of guides to how to build your own speeders from scratch and stuff.
A much more fun and casual approach to gaming than the juggernaut of money separation tactics it is now.

40k is eleven years older, but if you look at how pre-Starcraft Tyranids are styled they're all bipedal Aliens-with-organic-guns. After Starcraft was released they got an art revamp that turned them into clones of the zerg.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 20, 2016

• Locked thread