Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Maybe Sansa and Theon flee south, she dies and becomes Stoneheart instead? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cannot imagine what the series has to gain by introducing Stone Heart this late in the game.

Dead Freys. Brienne, Pod, Jaime and Thorys all in the Riverlands.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

geeves posted:

Dead Freys. Brienne, Pod, Jaime and Thorys all in the Riverlands.

:yawn:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It would've been dumb for Thoros to vanish into thin air with or without Stoneheart. They can use the Brotherhood for something else if they want to, they got three bookless seasons to write.

Also, McShane said he was bringing back a beloved character. Haha, no one loved Catelyn.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 21, 2016

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cannot imagine what the series has to gain by introducing Stone Heart this late in the game.

Remember this is a show that somehow made Dorne even worse and more pointless than it was in the books. I wouldn't put it past them at this point just to shove stoneheart in there just because its in the books so she's gotta be in there at some point and they may as well throw her in there now because they're running out of ideas.

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 21, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They waited just as long for all the iron born stuff, so I can see them waiting this long to bring back Cat. What I don't know is how they're going to deal with her being a body that was dead for so long, probably several months .

Lycus posted:

It would've been dumb for Thoros to vanish into thin air with or without Stoneheart. They can use the Brotherhood for something else if they want to, they got three bookless seasons to write.

Also, McShane said he was bringing back a beloved character. Haha, no one loved Catelyn.

Someone loved Cat.

Only cat.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

counterfeitsaint posted:

They waited just as long for all the iron born stuff, so I can see them waiting this long to bring back Cat. What I don't know is how they're going to deal with her being a body that was dead for so long, probably several months .

Someone loved Cat.

Only cat.

[previously, on game of thrones] (throat slit) (chucked into the river) thoros drags her out and kisses that dead lady
I will have... revenge (gargled, subtitles)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Rannos22 posted:

Remember this is a show that somehow made Dorne even worse and more pointless than it was in the books. I wouldn't put it past them at this point just to shove stoneheart in there just because its in the books so she's gotta be in there at some point and they may as well throw her in there now because they're running out of ideas.

This was my guess. The showrunners have a basic idea of what happens and where things go, but they're probably still dependent on GRRM for the minor details and I can't imagine he is willing to give too many of those up before the book comes out. They're just going to stuff in all the extra random crap from the book that doesn't really need to be there to flesh things out while waiting for book 6 to get released. God knows what they do after that.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Why does everyone hate book-Dorne? I though it was pretty great in Feast, all that backstory about the sack of King´s Landing, Elia´s children murders and the resulting long kept secret hatred of Tywin by the Princes, the marriage pact with Viserys, the Fire and Blood conversation....dunno I really enjoyed it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Atlas Hugged posted:

They're just going to stuff in all the extra random crap from the book that doesn't really need to be there to flesh things out while waiting for book 6 to get released. God knows what they do after that.

Presumably nothing, since we'll reach the heat death of the universe before that happens.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bad news for Cleganebowl fans.
The guy who played Thoros of Myr is back in season 6, which further supports the notion that the "beloved character" coming back is going to be Cat and not the Hound. Unless they bring back the Hound and also give him the Stonegeart arc, which would mean seeing Sandor go anti-hero Robin Hood before fighting zombie mountain.

Yeah but nobody actually liked Cat.

I guess Littlefinger did.

Edit: How loving late was I?!? Did I really think nobody would have made that joke first. Shameful.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Mr. Neutron posted:

Why does everyone hate book-Dorne? I though it was pretty great in Feast, all that backstory about the sack of King´s Landing, Elia´s children murders and the resulting long kept secret hatred of Tywin by the Princes, the marriage pact with Viserys, the Fire and Blood conversation....dunno I really enjoyed it.

I loved book dorne. I felt bad that DwD retroactively makes it pointless and sets up doran for some huge misplays but then I saw good ol' preston jacobs's latest video and I hope preston is right and quentyn is alive for some dumb reason. Like skipping out on the bill from the merc company is the only goddamn reason I can think why they'd have to but whatever. Even if his supposition that they're pretending to mourn Quentyn but the body is actually the tattered prince who cares? If the tattered prince is dead they owe nobody anything so they wouldn't have to pretend.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When did the Absolute Fucker stuff start happening? When it was discovered that AFFC was only half a book? Or did it take until ADWD coming out 6 years later?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think when it became clear that ADwD was not coming out in 2006 or any year near that, and that the half-decade gap between ASoS was the new normal.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Season 3 was worst, all I remember is endless torture scenes that I fast forwarded

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Season 5 is simultaneously the worst and best for the sand snakes and their tits, respectively.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

That clip makes feel bad for Bronn because he has to look like a retard or smack the poo poo out of the nicest tits in Westeros.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That doesn't seem like a very hard choice to me!!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When did the Absolute Fucker stuff start happening? When it was discovered that AFFC was only half a book? Or did it take until ADWD coming out 6 years later?

By the time it became clear that AFFC was never coming out and Gorge just wanted to blog about football all day. About midway through the 2000s.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was told that "Meanwhile Back at the Wall..." was the tipping point.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I first saw "absolute fucker" 2 years before ADWD came out, so it's at least that old.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lycus posted:

I was told that "Meanwhile Back at the Wall..." was the tipping point.

It was that plus one of the first blown deadlines for Dance.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bad news for Cleganebowl fans.
The guy who played Thoros of Myr is back in season 6, which further supports the notion that the "beloved character" coming back is going to be Cat and not the Hound. Unless they bring back the Hound and also give him the Stonegeart arc, which would mean seeing Sandor go anti-hero Robin Hood before fighting zombie mountain.

The Hound didn't even sort of die on screen. He is 100% coming back. I don't know what is up with Thoros, but don't you dare try and take away clegane bowl.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Krinkle posted:

I loved book dorne. I felt bad that DwD retroactively makes it pointless and sets up doran for some huge misplays but then I saw good ol' preston jacobs's latest video and I hope preston is right and quentyn is alive for some dumb reason. Like skipping out on the bill from the merc company is the only goddamn reason I can think why they'd have to but whatever. Even if his supposition that they're pretending to mourn Quentyn but the body is actually the tattered prince who cares? If the tattered prince is dead they owe nobody anything so they wouldn't have to pretend.

I'm the exact opposite, I thought Dorne was boring as poo poo in Crows, but then became entertaining retroactively in ADWD because it was revealed as another episode of GRRM trolling his fans' expectations. Everyone loves to see familiar themes in ASOIAF, and then assume some grand/just plot payoff must be inevitable, because that's what generally happens in the dumb fantasy fiction that we enjoy.

Ned was a good and honorable man who did forgiving and honorable things and in any other fantasy book he would be rewarded for that. In ASOIAF it just gets him the axe and ruins his family.

People read about war-hating Old Man Dorne never doing anything for vengeance and being hated by his family for not taking actions, but then the mere act of him dramatically revealing that he has a secret plan involving Targs makes everyone assume it must be an awesome plan and will surely work. Nope! It was a poo poo poorly thought out plan, which is really what we should have expected from him based on past lack of action.

People assume that because Sansa starts wearing black in the show or starts making occasional intelligent observations about politics in the books that clearly she's going become some sort of master genius political manipulator. But there's no reason to assume that will happen.

Dany's the classic hero with all these prophecies so of course she's going to heroically conquer Westeros and defeat the evil walkers. Or maybe she'll just gently caress around in the rear end end of nowhere for the entire series, because she's never been an especially intelligent or capable ruler.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Subvisual Haze posted:

People assume that because Sansa starts wearing black in the show or starts making occasional intelligent observations about politics in the books that clearly she's going become some sort of master genius political manipulator. But there's no reason to assume that will happen.

But according to PJ Littlefinger is going to make her Queen of Harrenhal to mirror an ancient legend or an event from his childhood or something with implications for the entire Seven Kingdoms for...no particular reason. Because if there's one character who's fully on board with fulfilling prophecies and being superstitious for superstition's sake it's Littlefinger.

It's been so long since I've seen one of his videos. It makes me irrationally angry when he goes from fun-crazy to stupid-crazy. The tipping point for me was the video where he implies Rob Arryn isn't epileptic but is telepathic and is being taunted by the Children of the Forest who are mutants that survived a nuclear war...or something.

He took a single line about a giant falcon from a creation myth and turned it into a multi-part video essay. And the crux of his theory was based around Jon Arryn's line being so incredibly inbred for thousands of years Jon Arryn found it difficult to have kids but they retained the Winged Knight's supposed warging ability but not so inbred that they couldn't have children beyond a few flipper baby generations and the entire Seven Kingdoms who vilify incest didn't raise a stink about it.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 21, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Book Dorne was certainly better than Show Dorne, but let's not forget that the Teenage Mutant Sand Snakes were just as two-dimensional and corny in the book and at least the show cut out Sephiroth, the Most Dangerous Cutter of Little Girls' Ears In Westeros.

As (apparently) one of the only people in the world who enjoyed the whole Kingsmoot and subsequent Ironborn story line, I hope they don't screw it up that much. But then I remember every "Yara" scene, including the entirely pointless and unbelievable failed rescue mission, and I realize that all hope is futile.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The cool thing about the book sand snakes were how they were like, elementals of rage. They each had their own way of grieving and overreacting. Only one of them wanted to take to spears and do a fight, personally. And Doran locks them up because they're goofy as poo poo.

It really fleshed out doran as a guy with a lot of plates in the air, and a lot of plates in the cupboard because he's got enough spinning plates right now thank you very much.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subvisual Haze posted:

Ned was a good and honorable man who did forgiving and honorable things and in any other fantasy book he would be rewarded for that. In ASOIAF it just gets him the axe and ruins his family.

People read about war-hating Old Man Dorne never doing anything for vengeance and being hated by his family for not taking actions, but then the mere act of him dramatically revealing that he has a secret plan involving Targs makes everyone assume it must be an awesome plan and will surely work. Nope! It was a poo poo poorly thought out plan, which is really what we should have expected from him based on past lack of action.

Dany's the classic hero with all these prophecies so of course she's going to heroically conquer Westeros and defeat the evil walkers. Or maybe she'll just gently caress around in the rear end end of nowhere for the entire series, because she's never been an especially intelligent or capable ruler.

It is funny that despite #1, I believe next 3. I hate you for pointing that out

CaptainRightful posted:

As (apparently) one of the only people in the world who enjoyed the whole Kingsmoot and subsequent Ironborn story line, I hope they don't screw it up that much. But then I remember every "Yara" scene, including the entirely pointless and unbelievable failed rescue mission, and I realize that all hope is futile.

I don't understand why they didn't just drop the ironborn - are they really that important to the endgame? Do any of the TV watches give a poo poo about them? I thought the kingsmoot was ok, just because it helped flesh out Victorian (?) and Euron. And it is nice to see another suitor in the race for dany. ( I like compare/contrasting Victarion and Quentin ).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think they wanted a big pre-White Walkers villain, so here comes Euron.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

According to that old reddit leak that I can't find anymore, Euron is going to be the person that hires the faceless men to kill Sansa and Arya is going to be that faceless man.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Lycus posted:

I think they wanted a big pre-White Walkers villain, so here comes Euron.

Is he of the night? Pfft, I don't think so. Good luck, Urine.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Reminder that on the show "the drowned men" just get some water poured on their heads.

D&D literally have no idea what made the Ironborn as cool as they are.

Euron is going to be disappointing and Victarion, if they have him, will be lame as poo poo.

And at no point will we see a dude in full knight's armor tearing rear end in a ship battle because he doesn't fear drowning.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Mr. Neutron posted:

I liked it on re-read. Sort of. Initially, it just pissed me off because I was hoping to know what happened to the characters that I'd been following for the first few books instead of BlahBlah-mo-Something and the Gouty Pedo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Reminder that on the show "the drowned men" just get some water poured on their heads.

That was Theon, not a Drowned Man.

In the book, Damphair poured a skin of saltwater on Theon's head.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 22, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

D&D literally have no idea what made the Ironborn as cool as they are.

Euron is going to be disappointing and Victarion, if they have him, will be lame as poo poo.

And at no point will we see a dude in full knight's armor tearing rear end in a ship battle because he doesn't fear drowning.

The ironborn were never cool.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

According to that old reddit leak that I can't find anymore, Euron is going to be the person that hires the faceless men to kill Sansa and Arya is going to be that faceless man.

whyfor would euron do that?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

To rule the north/Vale/whatever.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The ironborn were never cool.

Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Who's the flaming Santy Clause?