Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What's interesting is that Chrollo seems to be using Shalnark's ability.

Did he steal it from Shalnark or did he borrow it to fight Hisoka?

can he even borrow abilities? He's chrollo not leol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of his added conditions might be a way for victims to get their powers back

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

can he even borrow abilities? He's chrollo not leol

He steals them, but I presume he can return them if he wants to.

Anyway who wants to throw out bets on the victor.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hisoka, if only because I find Chrollo's power tremendously boring.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

What kind of thief gives back poo poo

some sort of draw the explodes the arena.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Chrollo ran around collecting new abilities to prepare for his fight with Hisoka, but why Shalnark? How is his nen ability supposed to be effective against Hisoka?

And yes, Hisoka should totally win because he is a much more interesting character.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He might have borrowed all the troupe's abilities?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

Chrollo ran around collecting new abilities to prepare for his fight with Hisoka, but why Shalnark? How is his nen ability supposed to be effective against Hisoka?

And yes, Hisoka should totally win because he is a much more interesting character.

Because if he puts the pin in he wins.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If there is something OP in nen, it's combining abilities. Think their original tactic in CA arc, Melereon's invisibility + Knuckle's nen sealing. So the ability of both stealing several developed nen skills and using two of them can be devastating.

Still, I trust in Hisoka sheer genius.He isn't fazed at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

If there is something OP in nen, it's combining abilities. Think their original tactic in CA arc, Melereon's invisibility + Knuckle's nen sealing. So the ability of both stealing several developed nen skills and using two of them can be devastating.

Still, I trust in Hisoka sheer genius.He isn't fazed at all.

Hisoka's probably aiming to look for Chrollo's conditions to exploit at this point.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This week's chapter was bananas and completely unexpected.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Chrollo pins Hisoka, that's game. He knows Hisoka knows this, so it's really more of a persistent deterrent throughout the fight - now Hisoka's going to be approaching him with more caution because he knows Chrollo can one-shot him if he gets too brash.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Oxxidation posted:

now Hisoka's going to be approaching him with more caution

And by that you mean running straight at him with an erection, right?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

And by that you mean running straight at him with an erection, right?

This is also what chrollo wants

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's pretty clever, since nearly all of Hisoka's fights have him slowly baiting his opponent into fighting on his terms and then one-shotting them when their guard is down. The pins immediately have Hisoka playing keep-away instead, plus Chrollo also makes a point of saying that he can mix and match his powers now, so the situation's been reversed.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Also cool to see hisoka use his gum to the maximum effect. He can really launch dudes now.
It's gonna be a contest to see if Hisoka can keep his wits in a barrage of synergistic nen-hax and i love it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay I thought that spoiler was possibly someone getting misled by a fake or something but no, this is really happening, wow. This raises a lot of questions, though one of the most important, I think, is, "Where is the nen beast?"

Abengane's exorcisms produce those, with size corresponding to the strength of the nen being dispelled; there's no way Kurapika's nen didn't produce something massive. Chrollo doesn't have it on him, though; is it with Abengane, perhaps? That'd be an unfortunate drawback to his power, the beast being stuck with him rather than whoever he's exorcising the nen for; hopefully he got well compensated for it in that case because it's presumably sticking around for a long time.

Or maybe, his bookmark had another purpose: Keeping the Owl's power (or something similar) active to shrink and store the beast somewhere so it's not a hassle for him to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrollo was lying about there only being the one in order to hide something like that. I also wonder what conditions he had to make to upgrade his power so much.

Among other things; this chapter raises so many questions. How'd Chrollo get Shalnark's power? Why's he still toying with Hisoka if he's made contact with the rest of the Troupe? Where is the rest of the Troupe, anyway? Where on earth did this even come from, narratively? How on earth is this going to resolve? (Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if Chrollo died here, both to keep Hisoka around and as a sort of progress in Kurapika's story; him putting friendship over revenge in Yorknew was a big moment, and after that arc he's been focused on finding the eyes over killing the Troupe. Plus, he already beat Chrollo once.)

This is such a weird turn of events.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hisoka is going to win.

The real question at this point is how much of a fight will Chrollo actually give him before it's all over.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Maybe togashi sent in a load of chapters and the wrong one got published this week.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Hisoka is going to win.

The real question at this point is how much of a fight will Chrollo actually give him before it's all over.

Hisoka will do the thing where he gets really busted up, but he's totally ok with that and then he'll OUTSKILL you out of nowhere.

It's gonna be some next level poo poo

Edit: it's just that if he does one mistake, he'll lose the fight, lose his nen and likely die

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 21, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm glad we're getting the fight and its probably why its off hiatus and togashi is actually dying so he would at least just make this but alternatively its all going to be a dream

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So Chrollo has his nen back, which means that the Spiders no longer have a reason to leave Kurapika alive.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Roland Jones posted:

Among other things; this chapter raises so many questions. How'd Chrollo get Shalnark's power? Why's he still toying with Hisoka if he's made contact with the rest of the Troupe? Where is the rest of the Troupe, anyway? Where on earth did this even come from, narratively? How on earth is this going to resolve? (Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if Chrollo died here, both to keep Hisoka around and as a sort of progress in Kurapika's story; him putting friendship over revenge in Yorknew was a big moment, and after that arc he's been focused on finding the eyes over killing the Troupe. Plus, he already beat Chrollo once.)

This is such a weird turn of events.
Chrollo just asked Shalnark to borrow his power (and presumably explained the downsides he'd have to deal with while he lost it) and Shalnark went "sure, leader/danchou". Shalnark has always been one of the smart members of the Troupe and can still contribute even without access to Nen and Chrollo's conditions for stealing powers is easy to fulfill if the target is willing to let you steal them.

Chrollo explains why he fights Hisoka in the chapter; if he lets Hisoka live Hisoka's just going to constantly bug him for a deathmatch so he's settling it now. He's either confident he can take him out one on one or doesn't want the other Troupe members involved (probably the same reason as Kite had with Gon).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Troupe members in the crowd ready to take on Hisoka if he manages to kill Chrollo, and they can watch him fight and get some hints on his Nen power.

Chrollo has a higher chance of losing here, metanarratively speaking, since we're already aware of the general strategy Kurapika would use to take down Chrollo; Hisoka beating him is more interesting since he doesn't have a skillset designed to beat Chrollo. If Hisoka beats him that can also lead to a potential Hisoka/Kurapika dream team up since the Troupe will target both of them. Then there's also the Troupe figuring out who to pick for the new leader which could be interesting to read about.

If Hisoka loses on the other hand we lose one of the best characters in the story and the status quo with the Troupe remains the same.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 21, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Kurapika also doesn't have any real pressing reason to go after the Spiders anymore, after all, his objective has changed from revenge to collection.

And the Spiders aren't exactly suicidal, so it's unlikely most of them would be all that willing to go after Kurapika.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Chrollo landing the pin should be a checkmate, but Hisoka is clever enough to set up some kind of rube goldberg ruse to win even after losing complete control of his body.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Chrollo landing the pin should be a checkmate, but Hisoka is clever enough to set up some kind of rube goldberg ruse to win even after losing complete control of his body.

I'd first guess amputation if there's enough of a lag between getting hit and losing control . My second guess would be a thick layer of bungee gum to trap it without touching Hisoka

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If Chrollo loses because he's explaining all his poo poo I will be mad about animes.

Togashi is usually better than that though.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Clearly he's going to bungee gum the entire audience to dogpile Chrollo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the ultimate togashi thing to do here is to have chrollo go down like a chump leaving hisoka with the worst case of murder blue balls ever

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
It would be fairly interesting if Hisoka actually dies from this. That's pretty much a game changer for the story, and meta speaking it's the one thing that will suprise/piss of the most people, given how much more of a favorite Hisoka is.

Of course, Chrollo dying also means a lot of plot about the Ryodans.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its going to be a dream and the ultimate troll

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

togashi will die before completing the last chapter of the fight

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arkeus posted:

It would be fairly interesting if Hisoka actually dies from this. That's pretty much a game changer for the story, and meta speaking it's the one thing that will suprise/piss of the most people, given how much more of a favorite Hisoka is.

Of course, Chrollo dying also means a lot of plot about the Ryodans.

Hisoka dying means the Troupe can move on to their next goal, killing that son of a bitch Kurapika, which would throw yet another wrench into the Dark Continent stuff/set up the post-Continent arc, also.

Then again, Chrollo dying could lead to the same I suppose. Still, Hisoka's kind of in an odd place now, narratively; his thing for Gon kind of doesn't matter unless Gon gets his powers back and stuff, and while he also was interested in Killua, Kurapika, and even Leorio, it never had nearly the prominence the Gon thing did. He doesn't really have any other plots to him either besides the Chrollo thing; if he died, the story would lose a character, but none of its arcs would be affected that weren't already messed up with Gon's powers disappearing.

Really, the primary thing making Hisoka seem like the more likely survivor here is that he's practically the fifth main character, and I'm not sure if that means as much as we're giving it credit for. We'll see, I suppose.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next arc: Hisoka helps Gon get his powers back

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Well, this was a random time to come back to this plot thread with everything else going on, but based on the chapter count it would be the start of a new volume so why the heck not. I wonder what relevance this will have to any of the dark continent stuff or if one of them is really going to die. I swear right before the last hiatus happened his editor said something about there being some big twist coming up, I wonder if it's related to this or the story changed since then or if I just made all that up.

Also I'm digging Chrollo's new(ish) look.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the big twist is that Kurapika is a Spider now, and will be the leader of the Spiders after Hisoka kills Chrollo.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

lmao not happening

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I like Hisoka more then Chrollo. I have a feeling that Chrollo is going to take this. Then he and the troupe will likely go after Kurapika for payback. Chrollo was disabled for about a year or so and Kurapika cost them two members, plus they already wanted revenge just for Uvo. Killing Kurapika should also help out their ally Abengane as well. As killing Kurapika will get rid of the nen beast he has on him.

So my guess is Chrollo wins.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it seems extremely unlikely that kurapica would know if his nen was removed and we've never seen that before this fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Roland Jones posted:

Then again, Chrollo dying could lead to the same I suppose. Still, Hisoka's kind of in an odd place now, narratively; his thing for Gon kind of doesn't matter unless Gon gets his powers back and stuff, and while he also was interested in Killua, Kurapika, and even Leorio, it never had nearly the prominence the Gon thing did. He doesn't really have any other plots to him either besides the Chrollo thing; if he died, the story would lose a character, but none of its arcs would be affected that weren't already messed up with Gon's powers disappearing.

Really, the primary thing making Hisoka seem like the more likely survivor here is that he's practically the fifth main character, and I'm not sure if that means as much as we're giving it credit for. We'll see, I suppose.

Eh, I disagree. Hisoka has always been pretty mysterious and what we saw of him was basically just a very small section of his life that happened to intersect with main story. Neither the Hunter's Exam, Heaven's Arena or the Ryodan were really something that was about him, they were all just means to an end, none of them were actually things he did on a regular basis. Same is true for his interests Gon. Sure, he saw him as a potential target, but it's not like he actively stalked him. He stumbled into them by accident a couple of times.

e X fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 21, 2016