Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
No but it did come with Encarta and a demo for some FMV submarine commander game. And a copy of The Journeyman Project that was either bugged or a stealth demo. After a certain point some ways in the in-game commands would stop working. No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I'm sure a lot of us remember Rednex (from Cotton Eye Joe) but does anyone remember their videogame, In B(r)Ed with Rednex? I have the vaguest memory of it being supplied to our rinkydink little Northern Ireland primary school computer room in like 1996, along with a copy of Myst.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magnum_valentino posted:

I'm sure a lot of us remember Rednex (from Cotton Eye Joe) but does anyone remember their videogame, In B(r)Ed with Rednex? I have the vaguest memory of it being supplied to our rinkydink little Northern Ireland primary school computer room in like 1996, along with a copy of Myst.

Man, looking back, Rednex is kinda uncomfortable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Choco1980 posted:

No but it did come with Encarta and a demo for some FMV submarine commander game.

Was it Silent Threat?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Choco1980 posted:

No but it did come with Encarta and a demo for some FMV submarine commander game. And a copy of The Journeyman Project that was either bugged or a stealth demo. After a certain point some ways in the in-game commands would stop working. No idea.

I'm pretty sure The Journeyman Project was completely unplayable for everyone. Actually most of those FMV games were nearly impossible to get running.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Nutsngum posted:

Calm down grandpa, the local kids wont hurt you as long as you keep taking your medicine.

Teenagers scare the living poo poo out of me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Something I remembered after a friend posted a bunch of pictures from high school is that the 90s is when Goth kids all started to look just silly. Yea, it was black clothing and makeup and poo poo, but it was the 90s when everything became giant pants with buckles and straps and poo poo hanging off them. I also remember goth kids stopped being all morose and sad, listening to the Cure and Bahaus and got all angry and poo poo and constantly talking about hurting other people. I do know some goth kids I knew saw Columbine as some kind of positive thing, where the goth freaks that were bullied finally struck back at the nerds and jocks that treated them like poo poo, but not many. Maybe it was the music going from songs about being lonely and not being able to find love and death to songs about killing and torture and stuff.

Actually come to think of it, as the decade went on, people seemed to get angrier and angrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8G8cdbPmp8

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Star Man posted:

Was it Silent Threat?

Silent Steel I believe was the name.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Phanatic posted:

And this is how your dad stuck the disk into the camera, thus requiring a quick return to the store.

I've always worked in shipping and receiving. Warehouse slave if you prefer. We were using Polaroids to document damage. It sucked having to halt an unload to run out and get film. When the company bought a few Mavicas it was a revelation. Just pop in that floppy and email away. The quality was poo poo but still better than the Polaroids.

Being able to snap a bunch of pics and pick the least lovely one was nice too. I even took one home for the weekend a few times. Pretty sure if I dig into some old discs I could find some of the photos I took with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Choco1980 posted:

Silent Steel I believe was the name.

Yeep, that's the correct name. The full game came bundled with my family's IBM Aptiva in 1995. I remember watching my dad try it a couple of times and I could never figure it out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grant Morrison And Anthony Kadis are at that Rave.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's not forget part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojlI0w_rJU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like how there are legit skinheads in that one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

whiteyfats posted:

Man, looking back, Rednex is kinda uncomfortable.

Weren't they like Swedish or something, with a constantly changing bunch of band members? Not like anyone remembers more than their one song.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I got curious about that Rave Party 1997 thing because there's like 7 or 8 videos about it. Turns out in the 90s, raves featuring "gabber" music somehow became a giant loving cultural phenomenon in the Netherlands to the point where even children were having their own rave parties. It was downright mainstream, even with artists trying to cross over into pop songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz1aZq3axgg

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

So I got curious about that Rave Party 1997 thing because there's like 7 or 8 videos about it. Turns out in the 90s, raves featuring "gabber" music somehow became a giant loving cultural phenomenon in the Netherlands to the point where even children were having their own rave parties. It was downright mainstream, even with artists trying to cross over into pop songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz1aZq3axgg

Man, it may just be where I lived when growing up, but dudes with shaved heads and those kinds of jackets always said Skinhead, and not the SHARP kind, the "lets beat up that guy because he looks kind of jewish" kind.

Though that pony-tail with shaved sides is 90s as gently caress, and Disney seem to really like that haircut because it showed up on any young male characters for a time. That reminds me how I've seen people online talking about how Treasure Planet and Titan AE are great movies that deserve to be revisted. No, they're bad, very bad.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

davidspackage posted:

Weren't they like Swedish or something, with a constantly changing bunch of band members? Not like anyone remembers more than their one song.

Yes, Swedish, and be drat glad you don't live here or you'd be intimately familiar with more of their songs.

For example, Old Pop in An Oak, which is pretty much the exact same song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuJZzuHDf8

Or this sensitive, delicate appropriation celebration of native American culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yau8nHOXhug

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, those rave videos suddenly reminded me of I-Mockery's anti-rave site. I can't believe I forgot this existed. I found it back in middle school, I think?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

twistedmentat posted:

Though that pony-tail with shaved sides is 90s as gently caress, and Disney seem to really like that haircut because it showed up on any young male characters for a time. That reminds me how I've seen people online talking about how Treasure Planet and Titan AE are great movies that deserve to be revisted. No, they're bad, very bad.

The only good things about Titan AE were how visually pretty it was and the little green mad scientist dude. I tried to find a video of the exact scene but couldn't, the one where he says:

"[holding up a small device] Does this look familiar? Do you know what it is? Neither do I. I made it last night in my sleep. Apparently I used Gindrogac. Highly unstable. I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do. "

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Treasure Planet's alright. It's just Treasure Island in space after all, so it's relatively inoffensive. Heck, it's actually pretty accurate to the original if you shed the sci fi trappings and replace everything with 19th century equivalents.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Thoughtless posted:

Yes, Swedish, and be drat glad you don't live here or you'd be intimately familiar with more of their songs.

For example, Old Pop in An Oak, which is pretty much the exact same song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuJZzuHDf8

Or this sensitive, delicate appropriation celebration of native American culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yau8nHOXhug

Weird, I thought cotton eye joe was just a modern techno beat under some old timey mountain man's recording. Haven't thought or heard of them in well over a decade, but according to wikipedia it's an entire "thing" with game of thrones style member power struggles for the last 20 years.

There was some 90s british band that was similar thing, a bunch of people fighting to be the official version of some one-hit-wonder band who's original members have long since left. Someone should remember the name, it's on the tip of my tongue.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Redneck is our word. :colbert:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

life is a joke posted:

There was some 90s british band that was similar thing, a bunch of people fighting to be the official version of some one-hit-wonder band who's original members have long since left. Someone should remember the name, it's on the tip of my tongue.

There's a few examples of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The most 90's thing possible? How about the coolest magician on Earth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNorHpuPag

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been using Winamp for 18 years. I even paid for Plus a number of years ago and have it on my phone.

:negative:

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

beato posted:

There's a few examples of that.

That's really sad :(

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

life is a joke posted:

Weird, I thought cotton eye joe was just a modern techno beat under some old timey mountain man's recording. Haven't thought or heard of them in well over a decade, but according to wikipedia it's an entire "thing" with game of thrones style member power struggles for the last 20 years.

Sugababes come to mind if not for them being pretty successful. But over the years, each of the three original members left and when they were all out they reunited without the name. There

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

life is a joke posted:

The band was literally advertised for sale at some point.

Just check out the Todd in the Shadows one hit wonderland review for all your rednex needs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPH_Aj-GGE

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've always worked in shipping and receiving. Warehouse slave if you prefer. We were using Polaroids to document damage. It sucked having to halt an unload to run out and get film. When the company bought a few Mavicas it was a revelation. Just pop in that floppy and email away. The quality was poo poo but still better than the Polaroids.

Being able to snap a bunch of pics and pick the least lovely one was nice too. I even took one home for the weekend a few times. Pretty sure if I dig into some old discs I could find some of the photos I took with it.

As limited as the floppy Mavicas were, they were still pretty cool and had their uses until flash memory became cheap and plentiful enough. But before that happened, there was also this fukkin thing:

Can you guess it yet?

Yep these things recorded your photos directly to one of those 8cm CD-Rs. I actually got to use one back in the day, and though a bit awkward compared to a normal camera now, it worked surprisingly well. There's a whole review from 16 years ago too: http://www.steves-digicams.com/cd1000.html

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The most 90's thing possible? How about the coolest magician on Earth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNorHpuPag

Does he have nunchucks hanging from his belt for some reason? I also like how he's wearing rainboots.

Star Man posted:

I've been using Winamp for 18 years. I even paid for Plus a number of years ago and have it on my phone.

I had hundreds of different skins for winamp,. and so many different visualizers. I set it up so both would change randomly when the song changed. A friend uses winamp on his phone to play music.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Does he have nunchucks hanging from his belt for some reason? I also like how he's wearing rainboots.

I didn't know Jim Carey was a magician.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Though that pony-tail with shaved sides is 90s as gently caress

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I have to admit, I owned a pair of sunglasses like that, but I bought them because of Oasis. And had the haircut to go. That was my 90s as gently caress admission.

And VGA and EGA graphics are also awesome 90s stuff. I love that stuff, much more than the clunky 3d of the later years of the decades.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This thread has shown me that https://www.i-mockery.com is still alive and cookin'. Wow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

My hazy memory is telling me the hardest part of this game was how breaking barrels and destructible walls hurt you :downs:

Props to them letting you chump an early boss by rolling pas them, then shoving a barrel fire under it though. Haha.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Section Z posted:

My hazy memory is telling me the hardest part of this game was how breaking barrels and destructible walls hurt you :downs:

Props to them letting you chump an early boss by rolling pas them, then shoving a barrel fire under it though. Haha.

That whole game was ridiculously difficult. I think you only had one life to last the entire game.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Star Man posted:

I've not found anything else as good for just playing straight mp3s and wavs so it's been on every PC I've ever owned. My list of requirements for an mp3 player is simply: 'does it play mp3s?'

2.95 for life.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Convex posted:

That whole game was ridiculously difficult. I think you only had one life to last the entire game.

There's also a point in the final level that's impossible to get through if you use the invincibility cheat.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Ambitious Spider posted:

There's also a point in the final level that's impossible to get through if you use the invincibility cheat.

I remember it having hidden power ups on levels that you could only find if you dropped your rat in a particular panel without any clues that there'd be something there.

One of the best soundtracks ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

This thread has shown me that https://www.i-mockery.com is still alive and cookin'. Wow.

I tried reading it and unfortunately the nostalgia filter kicked in and I started going "Wow, I liked this a lot more 12 years ago!"