Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The man should be praised if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

couldn't finish is more insane then wasted less than an hour on
they're trying to push it as a gayming challenge like something you can do on twitch

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I never played Blitzball beyond the first match because they made the mistake of stacking it way against you so you pretty much already have to perfectly know the game in order to win, even though it's impossible to have ever played Blitzball before then unless it's your second playthrough.

That's a really good way to make people say "gently caress this unfair bullshit minigame" and never touch it again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

zolthorg posted:

couldn't finish is more insane then wasted less than an hour on
they're trying to push it as a gayming challenge like something you can do on twitch
actually i dont think thats wut that twit meant at all but ok

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hamsterlady posted:

I never played Blitzball beyond the first match because they made the mistake of stacking it way against you so you pretty much already have to perfectly know the game in order to win, even though it's impossible to have ever played Blitzball before then unless it's your second playthrough.

That's a really good way to make people say "gently caress this unfair bullshit minigame" and never touch it again.

Once you put together a decent team it ends up having the opposite problem where it's super boring because you're winning every match like 8-0

idk about X-2 Blitzball because it's a weird management sim or something and I never touched it except to get a trophy in the HD remake

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
the trick to making blitzball bearable is to score a goal with tidus and then just wait out the rest of the game next to your goal and doing something else instead

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

How are you gonna get the Top Scorer reward with each of your linespheremen with that attitude? :colbert:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 22, 2016

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Gologle posted:

actually i dont think thats wut that twit meant at all but ok

Everyone hates final fantasy 2 because they're not playing it properly
Once you get Minwu grind warp for a bit exiting and entering fynn, then trek west towards Mysidia with everyone but Minwu in the front row
Warp away all the enemies and enjoy your disk 1 holy

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 22, 2016

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Once you get Minwu grind warp for a bit exiting and entering fynn, then trek west towards Mysidia with everyone but Minwu in the front row

Speaking of which

quote:

When Final Fantasy II was originally released on the Famicom, the Ultima spell, which was difficult to acquire, was practically useless. It was initially meant to increase its power relative to the level of other spells the caster had, but due to a bug, the spell did just around 500 damage at the most on a single target. Director Hironobu Sakaguchi has later told a humorous story relating to the bug: When Square tested the game and saw the bug, Sakaguchi asked for it to be fixed, but the person who programmed it replied that legendary stuff that dates back to an age before "proper techniques" would look inferior from present's point-of-view, explaining Ultima's weakness. He reasoned that the struggle to acquire it only to discover it's useless mirrors real life, and thus he was not going to fix the bug. Sakaguchi was irritated by the reply and tried to fix it himself, but the programmer had ciphered the source and Ultima was left the way it was. It was originally meant to increase in power relative to the level of the other spells the caster has, but will not even if all of their spells are at level 16. This in turn causes Ultima to do a measly 500 damage at maximum (level 16) to a single target.

I would fire that fucker on the goddamn spot

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 22, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That takes a certain type of stupid+gumption, especially for a 90s type japanese programmer that it kind of really owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bet that was whatshisname, the SaGa guy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That is a great story and prank because it ends with Sakaguchi and co going "well ok ship it."

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
That man is a hero in my eyes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Makes sense to me because nothing good ever happens in FF2 world. Of course the ultimate magic spell the party climbed a massive tower and sacrificed a valuable white mage for ended up being a bust. Then a tornado destroys half the world and you kill the emperor only for him to rise again because he conquered hell.

FF2 is a hosed-up game.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Or grind the captains or whatever in Phin until they drop the Toad spell. Or put only Maria in the front row with a shield and watch her become a crazy evasion tank. Holy helps your white mage do damage but otherwise isn't too necessary.

FF2 is a hosed-up game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sakurazuka posted:

I bet that was whatshisname, the SaGa guy.

Akitoshi Kawazu? Dude designed the game, I'd imagine the way Ultima was intended to work was more likely to be his idea than breaking it.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Or put only Maria in the front row with a shield

*two shields

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Now that it wouldn't be a double post or a missed edit, do you have a source for the quote about Ultima being deliberately left broken? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like a link to share.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Speaking of which

That's some Taro Yoko-level trolling the player if true.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Speaking of which

That man's name was Yoko Tar-

W.T. Fits posted:

That's some Taro Yoko-level trolling the player if true.

Dammit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FFII is the result of Sakaguchi getting locked in a room with a team of assholes.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Now that it wouldn't be a double post or a missed edit, do you have a source for the quote about Ultima being deliberately left broken? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like a link to share.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/20/final-fantasys-first-ultima-spell-useless/

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

FFII is the result of Sakaguchi getting locked in a room with a team of assholes.

don't kinkshame

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

'actually it's bad on purpose' is just going to be my default argument now anytime that someone starts talking about any final fantasy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That Mega64 vid where Sakaguchi tries to make every game final but it keeps selling well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really love the idea of the guy going "No, excuse me, life is disappointing and players deserve to be disappointed too." That takes some goddamn top-tier assholery.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I really love the idea of the guy going "No, excuse me, life is disappointing and players deserve to be disappointed too." That takes some goddamn top-tier assholery.

That would also explain the entire design philosophy of FF2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To be fair, he's a video game programmer. He probably has many legitimate reason to hate the world.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mega64 posted:

That would also explain the entire design philosophy of FF2.

Kawazu is a hell of a guy.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Playing through Final Fantasy X-2 for the first time and...it's quite fun! The battle system is really great!

The story sucks but ehh, after FFXIII-2 this one seems brilliant in comparison.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked XIII-2's story more.

But I think I liked X-2's characters more.

We're never gonna see Paine again and that makes me sad.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kirios posted:

Playing through Final Fantasy X-2 for the first time and...it's quite fun! The battle system is really great!

The story sucks but ehh, after FFXIII-2 this one seems brilliant in comparison.

X-2 is interesting to me specifically because it has a lot of really interesting story elements that it does absolutely nothing with. Think about it: you're playing as a retired heroine and savior of the known world desperately searching for some proof that your presumed-dead lover is still out there somewhere, in a prison somewhere unrecognizable and clearly in need of help, while the peace you gave up everything to create steadily crumbles under the iniquities of men unfit to lead. War isn't just looming, it's here, and naturally people are looking to you for answers you don't have.

Under any other circumstance that would be a phenomenal story to explore in a world we're already familiar with, but the team chose to focus entirely on lighthearted fun and grrl powuh so the setup falls flat.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was going to point out that nobody should be seeking leadership advice from (IIRC) 19 year old Yuna, despite the fact that she killed Satan.

But then I remembered is a JRPG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NewFatMike posted:

I was going to point out that nobody should be seeking leadership advice from (IIRC) 19 year old Yuna, despite the fact that she killed Satan.

But then I remembered is a JRPG.

I have no idea how old Baralai, Gippal and Nooj are but I kinda doubt it's much older.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always forget everyone in FF is 19

Like Auron is supposed to be this grizzled old adventurer but he's like 30

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Considering that there was good odds on Sin killing you before you reached your 40s in Spira FFX is basically the one JRPG where this sort of thing works.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Besides, nobody said 19-year-old Yuna was qualified to tell people how the world should be run, just that people would be asking her to regardless of the fact that she's not qualified on account of the killing Satan thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did he also work on Ultima in FFT?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Help Im Alive posted:

I always forget everyone in FF is 19

Like Auron is supposed to be this grizzled old adventurer but he's like 30

He's 35 but to be fair he's also been 35 for a while.

Edit: haha apparently Jecht was 30 when he disappeared. Which means he looked like a grizzly bastard in Tidus' memories for most of his mid-late twenties. Like Lemmy!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 23, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Auron just naturally aged despite being an unsent? Since that would make him 25 during Braska's pilgrimage, and he looked around that age (if not younger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tidus aged despite being a magic dream person so I guess people with the zombie status effect can also age?