Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

They explored the hell outta Greed Island.

that's because it was breaking the rules to do so. They don't want to work for the man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

that's because it was breaking the rules to do so. They don't want to work for the man

They can break the rules by getting a boat they're not supposed to board.

Rebels!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

and hell they might have been able to steal something from greed island

no one should want to steal anything from the dark continent, let alone see it, or be on the same land mass as it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NecroMonster posted:

no one should want to steal anything from the dark continent, let alone see it, or be on the same land mass as it

I want to steal a Nankia for myself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
An adorable mass-murdering wish-granting monkey's paw genie thing, all for myself.

Or should I say... all for "ai"self!

HAW HAW HAW.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

The reason they're going to there is because there's a shitload of super valuable useful stuff.

Like those electric rocks or panacea herbs.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

well now I feel like I need to read this arc again from the start for a refresher but dammit there are just so many loving words

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why risk their lives dealing with ineffable monster bullshit when they can just rob anyone who manages to come back?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The Spiders are basically Ging if Ging had a lovely childhood and liked to murder people.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Here's a handy visual:

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

well now I feel like I need to read this arc again from the start for a refresher but dammit there are just so many loving words

There were a solid 5 chapters when they were explaining the dark continent stuff and Beyond and all that where my eyes would just glaze over. If I have one complaint about HXH is it really likes to throw walls of text and exposition at you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jon joe posted:

The Spiders are basically Ging if Ging had a lovely childhood and liked to murder people.

i'm pretty sure ging is neutral towards murder at the very least

one might argue he is definitely down with manslaughter looking at greed island

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Technically the rules were designed to discourage murder (cards disappear when the owner dies), it's just that their enforced card rarity limits were incredibly poorly thought out, making destroying rare cards by killing preferable to negotiation. Just like real game design.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"We need some NPCs for this game, Ging."

"Use criminals as slave labor."

"That seems a bit hosed u-"

"If my son shows up, have them try to kill him. GING OUT!"

"-p."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ging is father of the year.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ging is father of the year.

But only because he killed all other fathers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ging is like the worst anime father who isn't actively beating or trying to murder his son. Which actually makes him better than a sizable amount of anime dads, but still.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

How did you find a picture of me?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is that a set of speakers partway up the hair?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
The hype for Hisoka is ridiculous. I mean Chrollo literally stockpiled abilities just for fighting this guy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

We've never, in the entire run of this comic, seen Hisoka get serious. Not once ever.

Chrollo going all "Batman prep-time" for this fight should go a long way towards telling everyone just how powerful this dude actually is.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think chrollo stealing or borrowing shalnarks ability makes sense. If chrollo dies, presumably the ability goes back so the spiders know if the fight is lost immediately and might have a contingency for it.

Maybe, i dunno, awesome chapter tho.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Are we going to see indoor fish again?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm pretty sure Indoor Fish in this setting would decimate the entire crowd.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm pretty sure Indoor Fish in this setting would decimate the entire crowd.

Who's gonna stop him, the ref?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't want to watch a Nen fight from that close, in a confined area, no less. Especially, since it has no barriers or anything really to protect you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I never said he wouldn't, just that the result would be a massacre.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to watch a Nen fight from that close, in a confined area, no less. Especially, since it has no barriers or anything really to protect you.

Also if you aren't a nen user it'd be a lot less interesting to watch.

Not as boring as that event in harry potter where the spectators stared at a lake with nothing visible for two hours though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't say that; most of the fights we've seen in the Heaven's Tower would have been great even without seeing Nen. Hisoka versus Kastro was particularly special, but none of them really relied on seeing Nen for audience entertainment. Things like Hisoka pulling Gon around with Bungee Gum would have looked odd, to be sure, but that's about it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I hope Hisoka survives, partially because "Hisoka wants to fight this particular badass" is enough of a hook to keep him popping up, but mostly because I've come up with the best loving dream booking for him: Morel.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tunicate posted:

Not as boring as that event in harry potter where the spectators stared at a lake with nothing visible for two hours though.

Well, they were monitoring them magically, the crowd could see what was going on.

Chrollo has a bunch of conjured abilities and such, so those would be visible to the crowd at least. The crowd would probably need to be badasses to even follow the fights at all, considering Chrollo once hit someone so fast it was barely visible on a single frame of CCTV footage.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Akett posted:

I hope Hisoka survives, partially because "Hisoka wants to fight this particular badass" is enough of a hook to keep him popping up, but mostly because I've come up with the best loving dream booking for him: Morel.
Does Bungee Gum affect Morel's Purple Haze Soldiers?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Butt Ghost posted:

Does Bungee Gum affect Morel's Purple Haze Soldiers?

he can stick it easier on your defensive nen, so yes. Well, it could be argued either way really.
But morau has got some good stuff going, and he's far too laid back to fight hisoka to the death. His power is literally to stall and make it hard for the opponent

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If the question is: "Does Bungee Gum X?", the answer is: "Yes." or "No, but Texture Surprise does." I guess he technically does have the unnamed ability of nen-infused playing cards. That's it though, right?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Disharmony posted:

The hype for Hisoka is ridiculous. I mean Chrollo literally stockpiled abilities just for fighting this guy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

jon joe posted:

If the question is: "Does Bungee Gum X?", the answer is: "Yes." or "No, but Texture Surprise does." I guess he technically does have the unnamed ability of nen-infused playing cards. That's it though, right?

That's, if I remember right, Shu. It's one of your basic aura abilities, Gon and Killua use it to enhance the shovels they use to dig through that mountain on Greed Island. Though Hisoka probably needed to ensure his Emission skills were up to snuff to use the things as ranged weapons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The anime also gives him that butterfly transmutation power.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hisoka was willing to take on the entire troupe at once just to ensure he could fight chrollo he owns and this is all a dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roland Jones posted:

Spoilers: Chrollo does manage to steal Bungee Gum, tries to use it against Hisoka, and then Hisoka defeats him with nothing but Texture Surprise.

Edit: Actually that could work better than I thought when I was making that joke; Chrollo doesn't know about Texture Surprise, so he could lure Hisoka in to touch the book somehow, steal the power, and then discover all the book's pages are blank or wrong or something because Hisoka used Texture Surprise on it and is thrown off/unable to summon the power he wants and gets killed. (I doubt this will actually happen, I just wanted to write this out because after making that joke I realized that Texture Surprise actually could be very useful here.)

While using Texture Surprise to defeat Chrollo would be good, my guess is Hisoka uses Bungee Gum as the main method. For instance attach Bungee Gum to the end of the pin and Chrollo's hand, use a small bit of concentration to keep it super stretchy. Then if he get's stuck with the pin the Bungee Gum retracts, pulling the pin out.

Bad Seafood posted:

While I doubt either of them will actually get killed at this juncture, Chrollo's technically already had his big emotional confrontation with Kurapika so if anyone's going to die my money's on him.

I do hope they reveal what happened to the chain around his heart, however.

It could be that Chrollo still has the chain around his heart. The stipulation is that he can't use his Nen or he dies. But what if he's using someone else's Nen right now? Perhaps that's why he's doing all this Shonen explanation trope stuff, because he has to in order for the borrowed Nen to work.