Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Stanhope's book is going to be loving amazing. You know the dude has stories out the rear end filled with debauchery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chromatic posted:

Stanhope's book is going to be loving amazing. You know the dude has stories out the rear end filled with debauchery

If I didn't already know how, I would learn to read for this sole purpose.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm so ready for it.

I'm nearly done with Jen Kirkman's new book, too. I liked her last one, but the writing in this one is so much better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just read Carlin's Last Words and enjoyed i more than I thought I would, even though it wasn't particularly funny. Since we're talking about books, can anyone recommend any really good books written by comedians? Preferably ones that are actually funny. Are Carlin's other books worth checking out? I've read Franken, Cosby and a few others I can't recall.

Any books my comedians that will actually make me laugh out loud?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Demetri martin's
Love all the people - bill hicks
Stewart lees book
Patton's first book has some good stuff
All of Paul feigs books
Sarah Silverman
Enjoyed David cross but I did that one audiobook style

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Hodgman's Trilogy Of Complete World Knowledge

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I just read Carlin's Last Words and enjoyed i more than I thought I would, even though it wasn't particularly funny. Since we're talking about books, can anyone recommend any really good books written by comedians? Preferably ones that are actually funny. Are Carlin's other books worth checking out? I've read Franken, Cosby and a few others I can't recall.

Any books my comedians that will actually make me laugh out loud?

It's not written by a comic, but that new Pryor biography from last year is amazing. His family gave the author access to everything. Pryor growing up in a whore house is like the 4th craziest thing about him.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Pryor has an autobiography, too.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Are Carlin's other books worth checking out?

A lot of Carlin's other books are just his material in book form. I don't remember which ones though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chromatic posted:

A lot of Carlin's other books are just his material in book form. I don't remember which ones though.

I have last words. It's ok

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Chromatic posted:

I have Napalm and Silly Putty as well as When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops and both of those are basically just his material written out. I do want to say that he expands on a few bits a little and has bunch of new short jokes, but it's mostly stuff you'll recognize. Still, he has such a way with words that they're really fun to pick up read sections from occasionally.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Jesus Christ, Patton Oswalt's wife died

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mst3kmann posted:

Yeah I just read that. That's loving awful. She was super young too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mst3kmann posted:

Holy poo poo that came outta nowhere

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ack and a seven year old daughter. That loving sucks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I just got an email from Netflix that they put a new Oswalt special on. I really hope that those things aren't related.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Goddammit, that's sad. Patton seems the type to go the Rick Moranis route and I can't say I'd blame him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jesus that sucks. I really liked Michelle, I listened to every episode of Jackie Kashian's podcast that she was on (talking about true crime, she started/ran True Crime Diary). That's horrible.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

XIII posted:

Goddammit, that's sad. Patton seems the type to go the Rick Moranis route and I can't say I'd blame him.

Wouldn't blame him at all. I would do the exact same thing.

Nobody deserves to have something like this happen, of course, but it's just that extra little bit awful when it happens to a genuinely good person like Patton.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

On the other hand he could do a Liam Neeson and be an incredible action hero.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

Al! posted:

I just got an email from Netflix that they put a new Oswalt special on. I really hope that those things aren't related.

His special premiered today. Yeah.

EDIT: It was scheduled, in advance, to premiere today.

Mst3kmann fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 23, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea just watched that before I saw the thread. It was really good and he has a really sweet bit (I think he's workshopped it a bit on some talk shows) about how he doesn't want to be some weird 'force my daughter to like what I like' dude and instead encourages her interests even if he has absolutely no time or interest in them.

gently caress :smith:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So, what'd I miss that makes Theo Von's Netflix special so bad? I loved the guy's CC The Half-Hour. From this Race Wars I'm listening to where Kurt tears into a guy for making a negative review of the special, the jokes seem pretty okay. What's going on there? It's like 1.5-starred on Netflix.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

So, what'd I miss that makes Theo Von's Netflix special so bad? I loved the guy's CC The Half-Hour. From this Race Wars I'm listening to where Kurt tears into a guy for making a negative review of the special, the jokes seem pretty okay. What's going on there? It's like 1.5-starred on Netflix.

That Tafmen variant that Netflix has has 5 stars. The people who rate things on Netflix are pretty much the worst.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Al! posted:

Yeah. I understand promotional stunts, but this would be a bit of an overkill.

Poor bastard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The release date of Patton's new special has been announced for at least a few weeks. I was really looking forward to watching it this weekend, along with Rachel Feinstein's new special, which premieres tonight on Comedy Central.

I hope this wasn't related in any way, but Netflix definitely isn't trying to promote the special in any kind of sleazy, tasteless way. It's (hopefully) just a terrible coincidence.

I feel awful, because he seems like such a good dude, and he always reminds me a little of myself at my absolute best. I don't have any kids, but I would be absolutely destroyed if I suddenly lost my wife, with no warning, at such a young age.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The release date of Patton's new special has been announced for at least a few weeks. I was really looking forward to watching it this weekend, along with Rachel Feinstein's new special, which premieres tonight on Comedy Central.

I hope this wasn't related in any way, but Netflix definitely isn't trying to promote the special in any kind of sleazy, tasteless way. It's (hopefully) just a terrible coincidence.

No one is seriously suggesting that. We're just assholes.

And yes, it's terrible.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Megazver posted:

No one is seriously suggesting that. We're just assholes.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
His next hour next year will be something

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

crazy cloud posted:

His next hour in 15 years will be something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

God if he stays in comedy and doesn't do a Moranis. Oswalt can get dark, but if he really just goes there without abandon? I'm a litty nervous (it'll be good obvs but someone might die).

I really hope he and their daughter are with other family and/or friends. It comforts so much to know you're in a safe place and everyone knows you and loves you and knows what happened.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

I thought his netflix special was good. It has some weak points but he has some weird jokes and I had a lot of unexpected laughs.

The reviews are hilarious: "I have a GREAT sense of humor, but this was just tasteless"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I finally got up the nerve to watch the special and now i really feel like an rear end in a top hat.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Stars on Netflix aren't universal. The Stars you see are from people with similar taste to you.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Stanhope released a little from his upcoming book.

:allears:

http://app.snapapp.com/Stanhope_excerpt1

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chromatic posted:

Stoked.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chromatic posted:

Welp, I came to post this because even that page and a half was enough to make me buy it!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, I'm in, that little excerpt flowed well, Doug's a natural at writing longform.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Aha! Doug posted another excerpt (just in case anyone wasn't convinced that they really, really want to hear these stories).

http://app.snapapp.com/DiggingUpMother_excerpt2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Anybody else read Depp's foreword while hearing his Hunter S Thompson impression?