Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

That won't work, when your Druid puts points into Scimitars after dual-classing he'll start at 0 points/unproficient again.
You regain proficiencies with your old class abilities, so you can reach Grand Mastery at Druid level 8 by dual-classing after Fighter level 6+.

Anyway, the levels you want to dual-class out of Fighter (or Ranger) are:
7 - you get an extra half attack per round, and can still regain your Fighter levels in BG1 unless you dual into Cleric.
9 - all class hit dice and full Con bonus
13 - another half attack.

Because Druids level fast at first but very slowly later on, 13 is pretty much out for Fighter->Druid. Dualing at such a high level is going to result in a lot of downtime regardless of what you dual into anyway, I'd only really do it if the Fighter side is a Kensai.

Is 13 still a nonstarter if you take into account SoD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hughlander posted:

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Druid

To get to level 10 takes 125,000xp.

To get to level 14 takes 1,500,000xp.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

To compare to mage, level 10 = 250k, 14 = 1.5m.

The big benefit of druid dual classes is how quickly you get the fighter levels back

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

MrL_JaKiri posted:

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Druid

To get to level 10 takes 125,000xp.

To get to level 14 takes 1,500,000xp.

what's the thinking behind this? It's not like they suddenly turn super good or anything like that

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gender illusionist posted:

what's the thinking behind this? It's not like they suddenly turn super good or anything like that

2nd Edition D&D.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

In tabletop it's the jump between Archdruid at level 13, and the Great Druid at level 14. There can only be one Great Druid in a region. Level 15, the Grand Druid, there can only be one of in the world. Level 16+ are Hierophant druids where those limitations don't apply.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's something like; lore-wise druids couldn't reach level 14 unless you specifically took over as king druid of the world.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

In the old days, you weren't just getting levels as a normal punk kid in a normal RPG, the levels actually were tied into the world building, so druids would have these huge organizations where you as you level up, you topple the druid circles by entering into duels to the death with the reigning champions, and upon winning you took their poo poo and gained a larger influence of control. Eventually you get to the top and the only way forward is to retire and gain powers of harnessing the elements and you literally turn into elementals and the DM was supposed to give you these one-off adventures as you gently caress off and become a wandering badass saving the world from breaking apart on itself.

It had like 2-3 pages devoted to explaining how this poo poo went down.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
You gave my gold to the poor? THE POOR?!?

*raises sword*

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mordaedil posted:

In the old days, you weren't just getting levels as a normal punk kid in a normal RPG, the levels actually were tied into the world building, so druids would have these huge organizations where you as you level up, you topple the druid circles by entering into duels to the death with the reigning champions, and upon winning you took their poo poo and gained a larger influence of control. Eventually you get to the top and the only way forward is to retire and gain powers of harnessing the elements and you literally turn into elementals and the DM was supposed to give you these one-off adventures as you gently caress off and become a wandering badass saving the world from breaking apart on itself.

It had like 2-3 pages devoted to explaining how this poo poo went down.

It's actually a pretty neat idea, but essentially hard coding the fluff into the class is a bad way of implanting it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hughlander posted:

It'd be possible to go for Fighter (9) -> Druid in SoD; you'd regain your Fighter levels at 375k XP that way. Which is past the halfway point of SoD, but I don't think that's an unbearable amount of downtime overall.

Really, to me the only reason to dual at level 13 is playing a Kensai/Mage. Maybe a Kensai/Thief, but that's a long time spent as an underleveled single-class Thief, so imo it's better to just multi-class.

Also, Fighter (9) -> Druids in particular can reach 5 attacks per round without the extra half attack from level 13. That requires both dual-wielding with Belm (pretty much a given unless you also have Jaheira in the party) and the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization (may be better on somebody else), but it's doable.

e: Also, unrelated Druid thing, it took me a long time to notice but the Totemic Druid's summons are immune to electricity, so my Totemic Druid and Priest of Talos are best friends now.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 24, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is it possible to get back to Baldur's Gate once you leave for Dragon Spear?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

No

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Generally, explore everything a chapter in SoD has to offer before moving on with the main story, there's no going back to earlier areas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

flashman posted:

Wouldn't using your 3rd level pip warrior for your third scimitar, and your fourth level and eighth as druid get you grandmaster? You'll have it by eight anyway either way just with more ”wasted” points (probably just get slings and clubs or something like that so not really a waste).

I'm not positive, but I don't think you can spend proficiency points as a druid to go past 1 or 2 points, even if you used to be a fighter.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You can once you've regained your Fighter levels. So in this case it'd work out, since Druids get pips every 4th level.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Whenever I play IWD and reach Lower Dorn's Deep I wonder who it was that thought "Okay, those auto-damaging Frost Salamander auras were a really fun gimmick, where do we go from there? Oh yeah, I know, literally the same thing but fire."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Modding the elemental arrows appears to cause the game to crash on any store that sells them, but reverting them to their pre-crash forms did nothing to fix it. I can use them just fine, it's just trying to open the barter screen that crashes the game.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can an IWD veteran tell me what is the difference between Insane and HoF? Are HoF mobs just Insane ones with a lot more HP?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think the damage and XP modifiers of Insane and HoF stack, although I haven't touched HoF in the Enhanced Edition.

What I do remember about HoF + Insane is that it's a borderline unplayable slog.

e: Also, running out of ammo a lot.

e2: And my Mage outleveling scroll drops very soon.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 24, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah I had difficulty set to Core and then turned on HoF and found the experience extremely tedious. Things just would not die. It makes me wonder if I should reload my old pre-HoW saved game. I'm overleveled to absolute poo poo, and HoF does not seem like the regular experience balanced for a high-level party, or balanced at all for that matter.

Obligatory ridiculous Codex poo poo: Because IWD is "way too easy" on anything but solo Insane/HoF/Ironman. Ooookay.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 24, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You could try Insane with the XP bonus turned off.

But yeah, I think it's generally better to do HoW after the main game. Just in Lonelywood you get quest XP for talking to a little girl that rival clearing a map of higher-level enemies, so when you come back to Kuldahar you just start tearing through everything.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah I had difficulty set to Core and then turned on HoF and found the experience extremely tedious. Things just would not die. It makes me wonder if I should reload my old pre-HoW saved game. I'm overleveled to absolute poo poo, and HoF does not seem like the regular experience balanced for a high-level party, or balanced at all for that matter.

Obligatory ridiculous Codex poo poo: Because IWD is "way too easy" on anything but solo Insane/HoF/Ironman. Ooookay.

Yes but it's amusing and I'll now read to see how badly it goes for him. He acknowledges how lovely the experience would be and it feels right at home in an SA ironman thread.

quote:

On our way out, we buy a bottle of wine, which we give to a local alcoholic for another 2400 XP. "This will teach him greater awareness of his suffering or something," he says lawfully and goodly. "I am the best holy knight of Ilmater ever."

Pumped about his recent missionary work, he goes off to talk theology at the local temple. He meets a lower cleric outside, who expresses her view on conflict

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Way too easy on "anything resembling reasonable settings", not way too easy on "anything but solo Insane/HoF/Ironman" which doesn't sound inaccurate for someone who's good at the game (system). I don't see why you need to villainize someone doing a cool thread!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is it possible to get back to Baldur's Gate once you leave for Dragon Spear?

No , not possible. You are in Dragons Spear areas and theres no way to return once you head north.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I like IWD:EE on Insane but without bonus damage and XP. The difficulty drops off later on, but at least it's a fun playground for testing kits and/or party compositions.

On that note, F/M/Ts are actually good even in a full party at least in this.
I almost want to try one in BG, but eventually the Thief side will start weighing the character down in BG2. I'm only at around 500k XP and at that point already, although in IWD it doesn't hurt much because the higher level spells the F/M/T's got via scroll drops wouldn't really do much for him anyway.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hughlander posted:

Yes but it's amusing and I'll now read to see how badly it goes for him. He acknowledges how lovely the experience would be and it feels right at home in an SA ironman thread.

This thread is pretty great.

"this great thread posted:

The Sufferer's such a loving pessimist. I've always been more of a "half the drat mountain DIDN't just fall on top of our expedition" kind of guy, myself.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Way too easy on "anything resembling reasonable settings", not way too easy on "anything but solo Insane/HoF/Ironman" which doesn't sound inaccurate for someone who's good at the game (system). I don't see why you need to villainize someone doing a cool thread!
The original was hard as nails when it came out, the EE version adds too many options that just break the game wide open.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So this is weird but in Siege of Dragonspear my character just dies in the Bridgefort area after I fix a rock etc.. Weird as hell. Just walking around and the death screen comes up.

Anyone has any clue as to why this is happening?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh waylaid by enemies? Are we still doing this... Oh hey a cave!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Kavak posted:

That's not canon. :colbert:

My current game with Imoen is hilarious. I've talked with her ... six times so far, in something like a year of game time. But the Thieves' guild in Athlakta think we have a huge connection :)

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

You gave my gold to the poor? THE POOR?!?

*raises sword*

Same. I sunbursted them.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Was so happy when I saw that :3:

Loel fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 24, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah still can't figure out why I'm randomly dying in the Bridgefort area , any ideas. However, I did get a "romance" Corwyn option. This romance dialogue is loving weird and stalkerish. It's just completely random. "Oh hey let's hook up".

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm guessing it's not a specific action that kills you. Are you always dying after a certain time? If so you could check your GLOBALs in EEKeeper to see if there's some timer running out.

I have no idea what could cause this specifically, so that's all I got.

jBrereton posted:

The original was hard as nails when it came out, the EE version adds too many options that just break the game wide open.
I'm no longer sure about that. In my current playthrough I'm not having anyone dual-wield, and I've got a Monk in the party which is pretty much playing with a handicap. I'm not having a lot of trouble. The prologue cave (so many Ogres) and parts of Dragon's Eye were rough but still, the only death so far was a friendly fire incident caused by a catastrophically misaimed Lightning Bolt.
I think a lot of people are just used to playing BG with SCS and whatever else now.

In my case it may also be the leveling curve being kinda screwed up due to playing on Insane, though. I've turned the doubled XP Insane usually gives you off, but I'm still fighting more enemies, so I'm possibly a level ahead of where the game thinks I should be.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Seriously one of my favorite things about SoD.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm guessing it's not a specific action that kills you. Are you always dying after a certain time? If so you could check your GLOBALs in EEKeeper to see if there's some timer running out.

I have no idea what could cause this specifically, so that's all I got.

I'm no longer sure about that. In my current playthrough I'm not having anyone dual-wield, and I've got a Monk in the party which is pretty much playing with a handicap. I'm not having a lot of trouble. The prologue cave (so many Ogres) and parts of Dragon's Eye were rough but still, the only death so far was a friendly fire incident caused by a catastrophically misaimed Lightning Bolt.
I think a lot of people are just used to playing BG with SCS and whatever else now.

In my case it may also be the leveling curve being kinda screwed up due to playing on Insane, though. I've turned the doubled XP Insane usually gives you off, but I'm still fighting more enemies, so I'm possibly a level ahead of where the game thinks I should be.

Seriously one of my favorite things about SoD.

Yeah I dunno what's going on , gonna have to reload and find out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

I think I remember the spell selections being a bit tighter in non-EE IWD. Might be wrong on that, though?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I reloaded my old save, Dorn's Deep is easier than the previous dungeons, even now that I'm no longer jacked from playing HoW. gently caress the phase spiders ganking my archer though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

jBrereton posted:

I think I remember the spell selections being a bit tighter in non-EE IWD. Might be wrong on that, though?
A lot of protection spells and the stuff that removes them weren't in IWD originally. Breach wasn't in there, but I'm pretty sure Spell Immunity and Protection from Magic Weapons weren't, either.
That's all I remember, although I'm sure there's more that wasn't in there especially at the higher levels. Some spells worked differently, though, lots of stuff that's party-friendly in the BGs isn't in IWD.
Contingencies and Sequencers weren't in non-EE IWD, either, that's probably one of the bigger hits to Mages.

Also, IWD gave casters amazing buffs and summons, like the Emotion spells and Giant Insect respectively.

Overall I think it's more that IWD encourages you to use casters slightly differently. You also don't quite reach the levels where Mages really take off.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 24, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wilting Wind in EE still uses the IWD mechanics and hurts your party.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Insect Plague and Chain Lightning do, too. And summoned Elementals are always friendly. Some durations are different as well; Mirror Image lasts longer in IWD:EE than BG.
I guess the EEs just added new spells but didn't change existing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So basically there are no party friendly AoE damage spells at all. Great.