Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

White is powerful, connected, and dangerous...but also a total loving moron.

That certainly won't be the case for later antagonists.

Yeah, some of them will be neither powerful nor connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2- Turnabout Sisters
Trial #2 - Part 2

: Mr. White!
: The victim died from a "single" blow!

: What do you have to say to that?
: Er... Erp!
: (Now's my chance to hit him where it counts!)
: Mr. White. Wasn't it you who told the court you were "abso-posi-lutely perfect"?
: Mmph. I will refrain from using this phrase from now on.
: Your Honor, if you could ask the witness for a new testimony...

: The witness is obviously confused, Your Honor! I would like to request a 10 minute break!
: Yes... yes, quite.

: The witness is confused because he's lying!

: Very well. If the witness would care to revise his testimony...
: (The crowd's on my side! No slipping out of this now, White!)
: Mr. White?
: O... okay...

: Hmm. "Thwap" indeed.
: Very well, you may begin the cross-examination.
: Mr. Your Honor... My stomach, you see, it is hurting...

: This is almost over.
: ...!

: You heard "that thing fall"? What exactly was "that thing"?
: Huh? Oh... oh, that? Umm... the glass light stand!
: (Right... the one that had fallen over at the scene.)
: Phoenix!

: (Yeah, that is odd. I'll press further.) Mr. White.
: Huh? W-what?
: You're saying you saw the glass light stand?
: Y-yes.
: Then change your testimony to reflect that!
: S-sorry. My bad...
: The witness will revise his testimony.
: Okay okay. Of course.

: The "glass stand was lying on the floor"? That's the first I've heard of this.
: Why didn't you tell us about the stand before?
: W-why? Me? W-well... I was instructed not to... wait!
: One moment! Give me a minute to gather my thoughts.
: I am so... so confused.
: (White's falling apart.)

: Your Honor! Please, I ask that you do not allow the witness to be badgered any further!
: M-Mr. Wright. Please refrain from badgering the witness...

: Very well. The witness may continue his account.

: "Miss Mia"...? Mr. White, did you know the victim personally?
: No no no, triple no! How would I? How could I!

: I see nothing odd about the witness knowing the name of the victim.
: Mr. Wright! I will not have you harrying the witness!
: (You're looking a little flustered, Edgeworth!)

: Now before, you said that she was hit before she ran.
: Y-yes, I must have been confused. But don't worry! We all know what happened now.

: What did you do then?
: I gave chase, of course!

: Mr. White, please try to remain calm.

: Oh... oh right. Thank you, Miles.

: "Thwap"...? That doesn't sound like the "savage" attack from your earlier testimony...
: Ho! Hoh hoh! Yes, well, I am a man of peace, you see.

Loop!

: Phoenix! He's getting a lot less talkative.
: He's probably afraid I'll catch him on something! (But it won't be easy!)

What to catch him on, though?

: Mr. White.
: It was impossible for you to have seen the glass stand!

: These are the floor plans to the scene of the murder, yes?

: This is the area you would be able to see!

: Well...? Note that the stand is not within the visible area!
: Well, Mr. White!
: What do you have to say to that!?

: Er... erp!
: Ri... dicu... losity...
: If you were in the Gatewater hotel as you claim, you could not have seen the stand before it fell over! In fact, you wouldn't have been able to see it after it fell, either!

: So, when did you see the stand, Mr. White?
: It must have been the moment that it fell! And the only place you could have seen that from... is inside the Fey Law Offices!

: Mr... White?

: You did it, didn't you?

: (Heh. Looks like we're about to get our verdict!)

: That's far enough, Phoenix Wright!

: Mr. White...

: I think the time has come. Shouldn't you confess your crime now, hmm?
: W... what?

: Ergo,
: confess that you placed the wiretap!
: The w-wiretap!?

: Order! Order!
: Mr. Edgeworth! Explain to the court what you mean by this!
: Distinguished members of the court... Mr. White is slightly confused. Allow me to explain.
: (I really don't like the way this is headed...)
: As you know, Mr. White is the CEO of Bluecorp. He ordered his secretary, Miss April May, to tap the law offices of Ms. Fey.
: What does that have to do...?
: Your Honor.
: The question is: when was the wiretap placed in the office, and by who?
: No! You wouldn't!
: Mr. White. In order to place the wiretap, you entered Ms. Fey's office. Am I correct...?
: ...
: !
: C-correct! You are most correct, Miles!

: Yes... in order to place the wiretap, I breached the Fey & Co. Law Offices!
: That is when I saw that accursed light stand!

: Now I'm confused. Please explain to the court what all this means, Mr. Edgeworth!
: Gladly, Your Honor.
: Mr. Phoenix Wright has made his position quite clear. He has determined that Mr. White knew the glass stand was in the office. He has shown that there was only one time Mr. White could have seen the stand: At the very moment of the murder! Thus, Mr. Wright would like you to believe that Mr. White was the murderer!
: I see.
: However!
: It is a fact that Mr. White had been to that office well before the murder took place! He went to place the wiretap! He could have seen the glass light stand then.

: Mr. White! You will testify to the court about this wiretap!

: Ahem. Leave it to me!
: (I... I feel faint.)

: Hmm...
: So you saw the stand before the night of the incident...
: And this is how you were able to identify what had fallen over. By the sound?

: Correct! That is right.
: I see. Very well, Mr. Wright, you may cross-examine.
: (Gah! What am I supposed to do now...!?)
: Good luck, Phoenix...

: D-do you have proof!?

: Miss April May knew the details of Ms. Fey's phone conversation! This proves that the wiretap was placed before the murder!
: Huh... right.

: Was it really you that went into the office? Or was it Miss May?

: Unidentified fingerprints several days old were found in the Fey & Co. Law Offices.
: Those were obviously Mr. White's.
: (And if I know Edgeworth, he's already run a check on those prints...)

: Now, Mr. White. Tell us why you went to the Fey & Co. Law Offices.

: Why did you tap Mia's phone!?

: This has no bearing on the current case, Your Honor.

: We have a responsibility to protect client confidentiality!

: Why did you notice something as innocuous as a light stand!?
: The light stand was made entirely out of glass. It was quite stylish, so I guess it made a lasting impression on me.
: Such a beautacious thing deserves attention, does it not? That is all.

Loop.

: (Dammit! There's nothing there for me to press him on! Oh well... maybe he's rattled enough that I can bluff something out of him!)

However, when we go back through the testimony...

: (Uh oh! Don't tell me I've run out of ammo!)
: Tsk tsk. I'm afraid that's as far as you go, Mr. Wright.
: The time has come for you to admit your defeat! You fought... honorably.

: (No more... I can't take this anymore...)
: Mr. Wright? Are you giving up?
: ... Y-yes, Your Honor.

: ...?
: (Phoenix! Over here!)
: (I know that voice! ...)

Next time: ?????

Louisiana Rev. Stat., Section 14:312 posted:

No person shall dive or jump off of any public bridge, constructed or owned by the state or any of its political subdivisions, where the object and purpose of the act is to gain publicity.
Whoever violates this Section shall be fined not more than twenty-five dollars, or imprisoned for not more than thirty days, or both.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 23, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There's a broken [/img tag somewhere in there, and Edgeworth's "confess your crime" isn't capitalized.

I love how Edgeworth can just completely rejuvinate his case from the brink of certain-looking defeat here. And let's be fair, The "witness" here is such a complete moron that that is quite a piece of work for the prosecution.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
It's like that moment in many JRPGs when you've finally beaten the boss, only to have him transform into a stage-2 form, and you have to beat him all over again.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

HenryEx posted:

There's a broken [/img tag somewhere in there, and Edgeworth's "confess your crime" isn't capitalized.

I love how Edgeworth can just completely rejuvinate his case from the brink of certain-looking defeat here. And let's be fair, The "witness" here is such a complete moron that that is quite a piece of work for the prosecution.

Fixed the tag. The other isn't a typo - Edgeworth changes sprite literally mid-sentence.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, when it comes to murder-mystery plot stuff, this case seems to be engineered in part to set up the fact that Edgeworth is, in fact, quite competent. Ruthless, uncompromising, and an rear end in a top hat, but very competent.

He's also apparently willing to implicate a witness in, and make them confess to, other crimes in order to make his current case, which is amusing, but completely in keeping with what little we've seen of him so far; after all, he's trying Phoenix here, not explicitly defending White.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also he believes basically everyone is guilty of something. He said so himself. So if he nails White on something else, well that's just more prosecution and more justice.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Exactly; it's a win-win!

Well, for him, at least. Phoenix would probably disagree.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The amazing thing here is that Redd White takes the stand and, despite all his power, immediately implicates himself, accidentally gives a slip of the tongue that lets everyone know he was the killer, and comes close to breaking down less than a few minutes into the trial.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Oh... oh right. Thank you, Miles.

I also believe this is one of the rare times that someone refers to Edgeworth by his first name.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White is one of those guys so used to being insulated from all consequences that he has no idea how dangerous what he's doing is.

That's the impression I get.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Night10194 posted:

White is one of those guys so used to being insulated from all consequences that he has no idea how dangerous what he's doing is.

That's the impression I get.

Yeah, basically. He's so used to intimidating people and pushing them around via blackmail, or money, or physical violence, that when stripped of those things, in a court of law, he's revealed as just some moron with too much power.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
gently caress off, Edgeworth :argh:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You've gotta love how badly Redd screwed himself over. If he'd just ordered Phoenix out of his office when confronted, the odds probably would've been decent that he would be able to pressure his way out of being called as a witness (and thus get away with it).

Instead, he decided to really rub his power in Phoenix's face, and... Well, collapsed faster than a house of cards when he put himself in the one place where his power means nothing.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Shady Amish Terror posted:

He's also apparently willing to implicate a witness in, and make them confess to, other crimes in order to make his current case, which is amusing, but completely in keeping with what little we've seen of him so far; after all, he's trying Phoenix here, not explicitly defending White.

I get that a B&E case or tax fraud would theoretically not be as dramatic to watch, wouldn't have the tension of potential capital punishment at risk if you fail, and just generally sounds a lot less glamorous to say you're prosecuting a trial for, but sometimes I get the impression that the only crime the legal system actually bothers dealing with is murder. Wiretapping is "illegal," but the only enforcement is the social pressure to not do illegal things.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've played all the games that Phoenix appears in as an actual laywer (let's not talk about that weird Project X zone game or the fighting one), and i think the only time a case is ever not about murder is in a spin-off game.

edit: what i'm saying is that A LOT of people die in Japanifornia

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 24, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
That's not quite true, there's one time where the crime is thief.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Keep in mind that Edgeworth is under orders to let Redd While have the run of the court. He certainly has no shortage of professional pride, so it must gall him to see such an obvious perversion of justice. Forcing White to confess to a crime in open court at least assures that he'll face some small amount of consequence.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels like Phoenix and Edgeworth both look for justice from opposite directions. Edgeworth represents the way Japanifornian courts see things (guilty until proven innocent) and works to make sure all the guilty are punished, while Phoenix is much more interested in confirming guilt before moving forward.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It's more that Edgeworth is convinced that everyone is guilty of something, so "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" are fundamentally irrelevant concepts; there's no point in either assuming or proving innocence because guilt is a foregone conclusion. As long as he gets a guilty verdict, it doesn't matter if they committed the crime they were actually tried for, because they deserved to be punished regardless.

Phoenix, conversewise, understands concepts like nuance, and punishment proportionate to the crime, and not all crimes being equal, and the fact that while from a very specific, narrow perspective Edgeworth is right, what most people are "guilty" of are minor social sins they may or may not have committed accidentally, and warrant more of a gentle talking-to than jail time and/or death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Edgeworth (and the legal system as a whole) operate under the assumption that you wouldn't be accused of you weren't doing something suspicious.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Honestly, in real life I would be extremely suspicious of Edgeworth himself for a position like that. "Everyone in the world has done a murder they haven't been convicted of, or something equally terrible" is the kind of belief that implies more about the belief-holder than the subjects; and if instead it's "Murder == adultery == jaywalking == graffiti" then that's just as troubling, in a more psychopathic way.

Good thing he's the bad guy (here) of the lawyers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You don't want to know what they do to litterbugs in Japanifornia.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, can we call Maya as a witness now, since she's no longer a suspect? Or is it assumed she'd be in the tank for us since we defended her from murder charges?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

It's more that Edgeworth is convinced that everyone is guilty of something, so "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" are fundamentally irrelevant concepts; there's no point in either assuming or proving innocence because guilt is a foregone conclusion. As long as he gets a guilty verdict, it doesn't matter if they committed the crime they were actually tried for, because they deserved to be punished regardless.

Phoenix, conversewise, understands concepts like nuance, and punishment proportionate to the crime, and not all crimes being equal, and the fact that while from a very specific, narrow perspective Edgeworth is right, what most people are "guilty" of are minor social sins they may or may not have committed accidentally, and warrant more of a gentle talking-to than jail time and/or death.

Where do you get any of that? Edgeworth said right at the beginning of this day's trial that there's no way to tell who's guilty or innocent, so he makes sure all the defendants get declared guilty. He'd rather innocent people go to jail than guilty people being free.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

Glazius posted:

So, can we call Maya as a witness now, since she's no longer a suspect? Or is it assumed she'd be in the tank for us since we defended her from murder charges?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think the defense can call witnesses in Japanifornia. Remember when Phoenix needed the prosecution's permission to talk to the bellboy?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Now that you mention it, I can't recall a single instance of Phoenix ever calling a witness.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

EllipsisBreak posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think the defense can call witnesses in Japanifornia. Remember when Phoenix needed the prosecution's permission to talk to the bellboy?

yeah this is actually a thing. the prosecution calls all witnesses and is given time to coach/prepare them beforehand, it's kinda weird?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

whitehelm posted:

Where do you get any of that? Edgeworth said right at the beginning of this day's trial that there's no way to tell who's guilty or innocent, so he makes sure all the defendants get declared guilty. He'd rather innocent people go to jail than guilty people being free.

Same diff. Either way, in itself his philosophy is somewhat troubling for a number of reasons, but re: this conversation the main reason it's troubling is that we're not really talking about jail time here. In Japanifornia the punishment for murder is death. Therefore, every time the actual murderer manages to plant some circumstantial evidence and spin a flimsy yarn, the state executes an innocent person.

That's what's so messed up about the case I mentioned earlier, where you can conclusively prove your client was innocent, but still get a guilty verdict. It literally just boils down to the judge saying, "well, we gotta put someone in the chair."

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now that you mention it, I can't recall a single instance of Phoenix ever calling a witness.

I can think of one very special witness that Phoenix has called. I'm really looking forward to it.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
There's actually evidence that the punishment for murder may not always be death, but it doesn't come up till later games.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

yamiaainferno posted:

I can think of one very special witness that Phoenix has called. I'm really looking forward to it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's because the prosecution left the door open for him and he walked through and pillaged the house. He didn't really call the witness himself.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

yamiaainferno posted:

Oh that witness :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Phoenix can definitely call witnesses to the stand, he does it several times, but he needs Good Reasons to do so before it's accepted.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
can I say how I love how we're all so focused on the trial and Edgeworth that no one has mentioned the fact that there's a ghost in the court room? :allears:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

RedMagus posted:

can I say how I love how we're all so focused on the trial and Edgeworth that no one has mentioned the fact that there's a ghost in the court room? :allears:

Presumably only Phoenix can see the ghost. Right? (This is my first exposure to the series outside of a t-shirt someone got me in law school).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I don't see no ghost.

Look again.

When Mors posts the next update.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Leif. posted:

Presumably only Phoenix can see the ghost. Right? (This is my first exposure to the series outside of a t-shirt someone got me in law school).

oh man. An actual law person.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

RedMagus posted:

I think that at least three-quarters of us are familiar enough with the Ace Attorney series as a whole that we know what is the deal with that and it's no longer a twist for us.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

RedMagus posted:

To be fair to the thread, it's not necessarily a ghost. It could just be a hallucination!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not like this "recently deceased mentor's teachings come to the rescue in times of great crisis" trope is particularly uncommon. It's often accompanied with aura/visual hallucinations or flashbacks to make more of an impact, too.

• Locked thread