Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

IMO 3S is the natural evolution of ST and yall too bad to get it

it turned FGs from rock paper scissor to rock paper scissor AWESOMEPARRY

pls play it and make your own decisions and stop giving up when it gets hard as it gets a lot better the better you get imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not falling for the brian sales pitch

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

General Morden posted:

https://youtu.be/9kdYGBvdK9w

https://youtu.be/L-DOypQGtVA

they released two trailers showing off the entire character roster

also the game has more game modes, characters, and stages than sf5

LOL

also here's a live stream of the game itself on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial

I bet it does have more because those graphics are rear end

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SF5 looks bad and has no modes so I don't think that correlation means a hell of a lot.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

3s is basically HeroQuest only you're both DMs and adventurers and you have to do it all in less than a second a lot, if you're the kind of self hating goon that constantly tries to confound expectations about yourself for fear anyone finds out you're secretly an empty cliche of a person, 3s may be the game for you!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

brian posted:

IMO 3S is the natural evolution of ST and yall too bad to get it

it turned FGs from rock paper scissor to rock paper scissor AWESOMEPARRY

pls play it and make your own decisions and stop giving up when it gets hard as it gets a lot better the better you get imo

once i got good enough at it that antiairing became a parry centered abstract concept (this takes like one day of applied effort at the game) i never touched it again because tbh "punish dude who's jumping in on you" shouldn't be something multiple yomi levels also i hate divekicks

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

SF5 looks bad and has no modes so I don't think that correlation means a hell of a lot.

You're insane if you even think to compare sfv and the new kof.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

once i got good enough at it that antiairing became a parry centered abstract concept (this takes like one day of applied effort at the game) i never touched it again because tbh "punish dude who's jumping in on you" shouldn't be something multiple yomi levels also i hate divekicks

it's just another layer on top of an already more complicated AA system than "punish dude that's jumping in on you", like p much all games that don't have single strong AA normals that either cover the range or don't, most anti airing in nuanced and it's just adding the same level of reads that you get in every other part of 3s

you basically have to accept fully that everything in 3s is uncertain and bask in its glory

I like that it exposes you to having to try more options that you wouldn't usually think of, whether walk unders, jump backs, dash back dash in throw, multi hit AAs, multi hit AAs you only do the first hit of then throw when they try to double parry and land early and so on, you can also make your jump ins parry safe a lot of the time and trip guard is huge in the game, I don't really get why people want it to be simple because it reduces your offensive options too

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

RBX posted:

I welcome any comparisons between a bad game and KoFXIV

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Graphically?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
KOFXIV doesn't look amazing, but at least the faces look like they aren't meth riddled or made of clay

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

RBX posted:

Just because SFV uses more resources for being ugly doesn't mean it's any less ugly.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Baal posted:

KOFXIV doesn't look amazing, but at least the faces look like they aren't meth riddled or made of clay

KOFXIV is a game with 50 different fighters made by, at best, a moderately sized company. The reason they left high-end sprites is because they couldn't afford to do it. Switching from high-end 2D to high-end 3D would bring the company nearly back to where they were. Each character is made on the cheap so the game doesn't cost an arm and a leg to make and the characters can be completed relatively quickly. They can't afford the time and money to do Xrd or SFV quality models.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am literally saying the models look less lovely than SFV, what are you talking about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And even then I wouldn't loving care because the game looks fun

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
KOF XIV still looks pretty bad, but it looked so awful in that first trailer that now it's almost The Order in comparison. It looks worse than SFV.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

KOFXIV looked pretty bad early on, but now it looks fine. And it has a much better graphical design going than SFV.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Baal posted:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

People claim KOF 14 looks really good in person

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

KOFXIV looked pretty bad early on, but now it looks fine. And it has a much better graphical design going than SFV.

Eh, I dunno if I agree. I don't think SFV looks amazing, but it kinda has an identity going on, in terms of UI and presentation. XIV looks kinda...dated? It actually reminds me of early-gen PS3 games. In terms of character design it's also doing the SF thing of cartoony realism, and I don't think it's doing it any better. I mean, Andy and Terry are giving Ken a run for his money. They seem to have upped their stage game tho, the first ones were bad but everything that showed up recently looks slick as hell.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dias posted:

Eh, I dunno if I agree. I don't think SFV looks amazing, but it kinda has an identity going on, in terms of UI and presentation. XIV looks kinda...dated? It actually reminds me of early-gen PS3 games. In terms of character design it's also doing the SF thing of cartoony realism, and I don't think it's doing it any better. I mean, Andy and Terry are giving Ken a run for his money. They seem to have upped their stage game tho, the first ones were bad but everything that showed up recently looks slick as hell.

You are crazy, 3D Ken is the worst looking thing ever

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Xrd color palettes for BBCF

http://www.blazblue.jp/topics.html#topics837

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That's more Salvador Dali which is classy

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Nah KOF characters look pretty bad. It's a pretty generic art style mixed with PS2 graphics. But w/e maybe that just means if it gets ported to PC in two years it'll run on my garbage laptop. The 3D models are pretty much strictly worse than their old sprites, but that's what it takes to get a new game made with lots of characters, I guess.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I've Stockholm syndromed my way to liking how kof14 looks and I'm glad for it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

attackmole posted:

Nah KOF characters look pretty bad. It's a pretty generic art style mixed with PS2 graphics. But w/e maybe that just means if it gets ported to PC in two years it'll run on my garbage laptop. The 3D models are pretty much strictly worse than their old sprites, but that's what it takes to get a new game made with lots of characters, I guess.

Not saying the 3D models aren't underwhelming compared to their 2D sprites, but those sprites are so god drat expensive to make that going 3D was the only way that SNK wasn't going to shoot themselves in the foot with a new KoF installment

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Now I can see what people were saying when they were bitching that the original Blazblue characters looked like Guilty Gear characters way back in the day.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Not saying the 3D models aren't underwhelming compared to their 2D sprites, but those sprites are so god drat expensive to make that going 3D was the only way that SNK wasn't going to shoot themselves in the foot with a new KoF installment

SNK could have still gone 2D. The problem was that they wanted to go with dot to dot accurate pixel shading. There is literally no other 2D type of graphics to do that is more difficult than what they were doing. Their sprites took twice as long to do than Blazblue despite being less than half the resolution.

attackmole posted:

The game will likely get a PC port soon. SNK commented that one of the reasons for their comeback was due to strong PC sales of their titles, specifically KOF.

Simulacra posted:

Feel free to add me as well if you're up for some ST or 3s.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simulacrum156/

Added.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 25, 2016

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So Gwyrgyn Blood ruined my poo poo 21 times in a row at Karnov's last night, it was good fun. If anybody else wants to play that ridiculous and dumb game, let me know; there were 10 people in the lobby at one point, but usually there's nobody. Disclaimer: I'm bad.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Simulacra posted:

Feel free to add me as well if you're up for some ST or 3s.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simulacrum156/

I just added both you guys. I might not be able to play until next weekend as I don't even have Fightcade downloaded at all and don't have much time this week. But I'll definitely be around in the future. I'm down to play whatever, but am specifically interested in SamSho, is there a group for people playing 5 on fightcade?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
3rd Strike is a good game, y'all.

KOF still looks bad but it makes sense considering the number of characters in the game; SFV looks way better overall.

VVV OK. :jerkbag:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 25, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SFV looks like my rear end crawled out of a store that specializes in waterpaint

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
KOF14 decided to look like a f2p Chinese MMO in favor of being able to make more characters; still failed to put Yamazaki in the game.

Might as well have made the graphics good.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

SFV sure as hell doesn't look perfect, but it has a consistent visual style that has a bit of character to it so I can forgive it for being ugly in places. KoF just looks kind of soulless, like the models need more detail or something, can't put my finger on it. It doesn't look bad, just bland in that Japanese kind of way. I'll probably play it if it's fun and they do a good job on the PC port.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'll be semi-curious how KOF14 turns out, but it's visuals look bad. Period. They're simply not up to technical snuff at all - the characters look like literal original xbox fighting game characters (I didn't believe it at first, but someone showed me side-by-side screenshots from that era's DoA).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh well Corbeau said they're bad so that's just it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am excited for kof

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Baal posted:

Oh well Corbeau said they're bad so that's just it

Yeah man, he even said 'Period'. That shows he means business.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They look pretty bad. Period comma exclamation point.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If we pray hard enough, all the 3d games will turn 2d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i am excited for kof

When I get a PS4 I will be similarly excited for KoFXIV