Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sheep posted:

A couple of weeks ago I inherited a phone system that won't work unless some random Vista box is powered on and connected to the network.

The people who thought such a system was a good idea, pitched the system to us, agreed to the purchase, and installed it should all be taken out back and shot.

You should have told them that Dokdo isn't Korean.

They aren't so bad and this place isn't either. Korean culture is just very different and people have issues adapting when they come to the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's always amusing when people toss out a suggestion to learn a language like it's something you could do over the weekend.

"Just buy rosetta stone, I see ads for it all the time! It's very easy!"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Isn't Korean also one of the most difficult languages to learn as a second language?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It can be depending on what other languages you know. If you know Japanese (or less so, Chinese) already it's not too bad since huge swathes of vocabulary are the same.

Edit: I studied Korean in Japanese though my native language is English. Was a bit of a mindfuck at first but a good learning experience!

Also relevant content: just had an office manager call up who did not understand what a network cable is. Not sure whether to facepalm, drink, or both.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 21, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stubblyhead posted:

Isn't Korean also one of the most difficult languages to learn as a second language?

It's easier than a lot of other languages in the area, since they have a single alphabet used for 99% of writing. Instead of Chinese being all those individual characters, or Japanese having 2 alphabets and a couple thousand other characters in daily use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I've heard the hardest part of Korean is if you don't speak it well, a native speaker will offer to talk in english instead because they all know english anyways and want to practice it.

Except when at company meetings, apparently.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

From what I've heard the hardest part of Korean is if you don't speak it well, a native speaker will offer to talk in english instead because they all know english anyways and want to practice it.

True of so many languages. The first time someone responded to me in German when I was in Germany was a triumph.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

xzzy posted:

Except when at company meetings, apparently.

Yeah, that is how it works in Japan too.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

DigitalRaven posted:

True of so many languages. The first time someone responded to me in German when I was in Germany was a triumph.

Every language but French. If your French sucks and it's obvious your first language is English, they will make you sweat it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Try Bavaria. High school trip, we were waiting for a train in some random small town I can't remember the name of. Stepped inside to buy a pastry at a little bakery that was in there. I hosed up the wording, got flustered, ended up having to order by pointing.

The stinkeye the lady gave me could have been classified as a biological weapon there was so much hate behind it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Try Bavaria. High school trip, we were waiting for a train in some random small town I can't remember the name of. Stepped inside to buy a pastry at a little bakery that was in there. I hosed up the wording, got flustered, ended up having to order by pointing.

The stinkeye the lady gave me could have been classified as a biological weapon there was so much hate behind it.

Always travel with a fluent language-buddy when abroad. It will let you know when you told the bakery lady that her and her mother were loose floozies by accident.

Not...that I'd know that by personal experience, or anything. :downs:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got contacted by a recruiter for a NOC job this morning. I call him back, and it's a graveyard shift, which I just plain can't do or I'll fall back into my horrible sleep habits that flunked me out of university and made me miserable for most of a decade.

But it's okay, I've got another interview at 1. For a job that required experience with tech support and seems like a pretty standard tier 1 helpdesk job. I start the interview, and the first thing the recruiter tells me is that it isn't a very technical role. I'm so loving tired of this. I've got one more interview tomorrow, but I found another listing which seems to be for the same job, with a shift starting at 6:30 40-45 minutes away. My sleep still isn't good enough to do that. And these are the only 3 contacts I've gotten in nearly a month. If my tax return coming in in a few weeks wasn't so big, I don't know what I would do.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

I was in Bavaria, living and working. But Munich, so urban. I'm still learning real German, rather than Bayerisch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

A couple of weeks ago I inherited a phone system that won't work unless some random Vista box is powered on and connected to the network.

The people who thought such a system was a good idea, pitched the system to us, agreed to the purchase, and installed it should all be taken out back and shot.

You should have told them that Dokdo isn't Korean and also lies in the Sea of Japan.

Avaya voicemail, er, 'server'?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Avaya voicemail, er, 'server'?

Bingo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you London based by any chance?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Nope, though I am somewhat intrigued by the line of questioning.

How many poor sods do you know in London dealing with shitheap Avaya setups thanks to 'other duties' clauses?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sheep posted:

How many poor sods do you know in London dealing with shitheap Avaya setups thanks to 'other duties' clauses?

I work on Avaya stuff. It is my main skillset. Whenever I job search, 90% of the jobs are "need to know x, y and z, and it would be nice if you could run the Avaya system. Unless it is a large company, you do not see many full time Avaya jobs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ozz81 posted:

Always, ALWAYS put together a small Word document with the easiest technical baby steps possible. This has saved me plenty of times, I keep one that details iOS/Android mail setup, connecting to wireless and setting up a semi-secure hot spot. No complaints so far and everyone said it was super easy to follow, from the tech illiterate on up to engineers and sysadmins. A few minutes of time saves hours of headaches later, bonus points for CCing their boss and yours (BCC is great for this) so there's a paper trail and no excuses.

Download Greenshot, stuff said documentation chock full of screenshots featuring highlighted fields and showing where the mouse cursor has to go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

Nope, though I am somewhat intrigued by the line of questioning.

It just seems par for the course for phone system installers to install a desktop PC as a server sitting on the corporate LAN and just treat it as a black box like the rest of the IP Office building blocks. There's no patch management, the systems aren't backed up etc. One day when it needs a reboot it has five years of Windows updates to complete etc. Often they will have remote access enabled for administration, I just think these boxes are a security nightmare.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Download Greenshot, stuff said documentation chock full of screenshots featuring highlighted fields and showing where the mouse cursor has to go.

Or use psr.exe which is built into Windows 7 and above. It even highlights the buttons etc you click on.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Varkk posted:

Or use psr.exe which is built into Windows 7 and above. It even highlights the buttons etc you click on.

I've been in help desk IT for over a year, and had to deal with my mother forgetting how to interpret her own handwritten notes for a decade, and I can't believe I've never loving heard of this program until now. You have just made my goddamn life so much easier, holy poo poo.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

My new manager schedules meetings on the quarter hour... like 9:15 to 9:45...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Spazz posted:

At least it's something round. I've had things scheduled for 10:05 before. Can we just say it's at 10:00 but I might be a few minutes late there will be donuts and coffee?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Spazz posted:

If he blocks off the whole hour on his schedule, that's smart.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It just seems par for the course for phone system installers to install a desktop PC as a server sitting on the corporate LAN and just treat it as a black box like the rest of the IP Office building blocks. There's no patch management, the systems aren't backed up etc. One day when it needs a reboot it has five years of Windows updates to complete etc. Often they will have remote access enabled for administration, I just think these boxes are a security nightmare.

Ugh I had blocked all this out. Yeah they wanted us to open a bunch of ports to the internet at large and balked when I asked for address blocks to whitelist. I made it a point of reiterating the fact that that machine needs to disappear sooner rather than later and that I'd be okay with paying money to make that happen.

We've got other stuff that is a security nightmare (DVRs, mostly) and the company we outsource their management to uses Teamviewer (free, personal use only version of course) to manage them.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I work on Avaya stuff. It is my main skillset. Whenever I job search, 90% of the jobs are "need to know x, y and z, and it would be nice if you could run the Avaya system. Unless it is a large company, you do not see many full time Avaya jobs.

Er yeah I meant more like I'm mostly a networks guy and had never touched a phone system before this job. Now I am handy with a punch down tool and have a cardboard box full of 66 blocks and connector wire because of poor life choices and vague job duties descriptions.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sheep posted:

Ugh I had blocked all this out. Yeah they wanted us to open a bunch of ports to the internet at large and balked when I asked for address blocks to whitelist. I made it a point of reiterating the fact that that machine needs to disappear sooner rather than later and that I'd be okay with paying money to make that happen.

We've got other stuff that is a security nightmare (DVRs, mostly) and the company we outsource their management to uses Teamviewer (free, personal use only version of course) to manage them.

Er yeah I meant more like I'm mostly a networks guy and had never touched a phone system before this job. Now I am handy with a punch down tool and have a cardboard box full of 66 blocks because of poor life choices and vague job duties descriptions.

At my last job their DVR provider has a password that seemed rather odd to me when they gave it to me for remote viewing. It was the default set open to the world at large. "They can't do anything only view the cameras, and they need the software!" okay buddy, well this is a school.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You can't remotely connect to our DVRs unless all ActiveX controls are set to run without prompting, exceptions are made in Java config files (not the control panel, you have to go hand edit the files in the JRE folder), and pretty much every other safety feature in IE (yes IE) is set to 'off'. And then you might get lucky and it will load.

What I'm saying is gently caress Everfocus for now and forever.

Edit: I forgot UAC has to be turned off too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We get a new DVR setup for our cameras from Avigilion or however the gently caress you spell it. drat is it nice compared to the other poo poo-tastic setups I have used in the past.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I need you to pull this report

Sorry I can't do that in cucm

We could do it on our old phone system!

When did you switch to Cisco?

Early 2000s.

:*(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

We get a new DVR setup for our cameras from Avigilion or however the gently caress you spell it. drat is it nice compared to the other poo poo-tastic setups I have used in the past.

Every time I zoom in when viewing stuff playing back in the Avigilon client and the contrast/exposre tweaks itself to make whatever I am looking at more visible I am like :aaaaa:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo not pissing me off ...

Got a hernia in my neck and work is totally okay with me coming in, working from home or just taking time off according to need.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AS/400 guy has been planning a software upgrade to our current accounting package for the last month.

One weekend he was going to do it, didn't write down the key code or something on the CDs. Derp.

So last weekend he was like "I got the CD code this time" while he patted his briefcase. Something was wrong with the catalog file so he couldn't run it.

Let's see what goes wrong this weekend!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo not pissing me off: Banking 2 days for later use.

Work had me go to a clients site to fix some broken computers. Said I could claim all travel time as work time, plus any time I spent on the clients site.

Not sure when I will use these 2 banked days but it'll go well with the other 2 I have banked. Might take a week off later this year...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

People should not be getting excited about 2 days off :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I get like 20 days off a year (+ a stat holiday basically every month), and I will always be excited about two days off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Migishu posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: Banking 2 days for later use.

Work had me go to a clients site to fix some broken computers. Said I could claim all travel time as work time, plus any time I spent on the clients site.

Not sure when I will use these 2 banked days but it'll go well with the other 2 I have banked. Might take a week off later this year...
At my old job I spent like a 10 and 12 hour day upgrading VMware cluster over the weekend, I asked for the next Friday or Monday off and boss told me 'I leave at 5 every day so I can't'

EAT A DICK

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Is it wrong to use the words "lowest ranked in customer satisfaction for a decade" and "devil incarnate" when a recruiter calls you on your lunch break pitching an entry level contract to hire job at Comcast?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spazz posted:

Is it wrong to use the words "lowest ranked in customer satisfaction for a decade" and "devil incarnate" when a recruiter calls you on your lunch break pitching an entry level contract to hire job at Comcast?

How about "a network that is an unholy amalgamation of poorly integrated copper acquired from competitors even less competent" ?

Which is to say, it would be wrong not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I get like 20 days off a year (+ a stat holiday basically every month), and I will always be excited about two days off.

I have a bunch too, and any more that get added to that is cause for celebration. It's additional paid time off, what's not to love about it.