Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Probably because back then the alternative was Everquest.

There were a dozen or so very popular MMOs all still running around the time that World of Warcraft came out, and Everquest wasn't even close to being the most popular one. By that point Final Fantasy XI, Lineage 2, and Runescape had taken a substantial portion of Everquest's population, and the original Lineage was always "the big one" as far as numbers go. Even Star Wars Galaxies had a population size rivaling Everquest's numbers around that time.

World of Warcraft enjoyed immediate wild popularity because the game play actually did feel really polished compared to other MMOs at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

those gat-dang essenes ain't right i tell y'hwhat

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Testekill posted:

Didn't the leader of the red gang want to work with the Saints and Boss decided gently caress that poo poo?

If by "work with" you mean "give the Saints a small enough share of Stilwater that he could crush them out of existence on a whim".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

There were a dozen or so very popular MMOs all still running around the time that World of Warcraft came out, and Everquest wasn't even close to being the most popular one. By that point Final Fantasy XI, Lineage 2, and Runescape had taken a substantial portion of Everquest's population, and the original Lineage was always "the big one" as far as numbers go. Even Star Wars Galaxies had a population size rivaling Everquest's numbers around that time.

World of Warcraft enjoyed immediate wild popularity because the game play actually did feel really polished compared to other MMOs at the time.

A detailed history of MMO's and the surrounding game culture from the mid 90s to late 10s would be loving amazing, because back before WoW people put up with tons of poo poo that even the most ardent MMO player today would say "gently caress that poo poo that is not good game design". Even all the die-hard vanilla WoW fans would laugh at it and refuse to entertain the idea of having to go through all that bullshit.

Now you get people bemoaning the demise of the 8 hour raids and the artificial gateways to keep "casuals" from joining the serious players but its nothing like EQ fans trying to be nostalgic about their character's having to hire guards to protect them when traveling because PVP was a universal flag and anyone could kill anyone whenever they wished. High level characters could camp and murder people dozens of levels below them just because and people fondly looked back at that as a positive MMO experience.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

but its nothing like EQ fans trying to be nostalgic about their character's having to hire guards to protect them when traveling because PVP was a universal flag and anyone could kill anyone whenever they wished. High level characters could camp and murder people dozens of levels below them just because and people fondly looked back at that as a positive MMO experience.

They're right

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Demons' Souls

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

does ds3 have an offline mode? i don't mind online play but my chinese internet connection is really poo poo and i don't want to get booted to menu (which i heard is a thing that happens)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a7m2 posted:

does ds3 have an offline mode? i don't mind online play but my chinese internet connection is really poo poo and i don't want to get booted to menu (which i heard is a thing that happens)

Yes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

a7m2 posted:

Yeah, and it's better for it than the other games because you can set it to start offline without having to be "offline" in Steam.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Like FTL! It's just like FTL! Here's a game for you FTL fans! Pixels and clicking on a map and maybe a bit of random numbers and like FTL! It's a bit of FTL mixed in with some FTL and some heavy handed FTL influences in the combat. The map is kind of like FTL where FTL FTL when the FTL in FTL engages and it actually feels a little bit like playing FTL

http://store.steampowered.com/app/458000

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/454030/

this is surprisingly good

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rookersh posted:

It works flawlessly on Windows 8 and 10. It's only busted on Windows 7 specifically ( and probably Vista but who uses Vista. ).

I played Saint's Row 2 on Windows 7 just last year, it worked fine.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Like FTL! It's just like FTL! Here's a game for you FTL fans! Pixels and clicking on a map and maybe a bit of random numbers and like FTL! It's a bit of FTL mixed in with some FTL and some heavy handed FTL influences in the combat. The map is kind of like FTL where FTL FTL when the FTL in FTL engages and it actually feels a little bit like playing FTL

Geez they only mention FTL once. Doesn't look a thing like it though

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fun Times! posted:

I think it's just that FTL is like Dark Souls and everyone wants to compare themselves to it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Roguelike-like

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fun Times! posted:

quote:

Genre
March of the Living is a survival roguelike-like inspired by FTL and popular zombie fiction.
Features

Reviews
“If you like tactical games like Faster Than Light (FTL) and you like zombies...then you will LOVE this game!”
Generikb

“March of the Living is pretty much FTL crossed with The Walking Dead, and it's easily one of the best indie roguelikes of this kind that I've played in quite some time...”
Many A True Nerd

“Takes the best aspects of FTL and The Walking Dead, creating something epic.”
The Golden Cartridge

lmao. yes i sure trust a bunch of random no name reviewers all saying the same thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I never beat DS or played DS2. But I really like DS I just am bad. Should I get DS3?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Probably, yeah.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I never beat DS or played DS2. But I really like DS I just am bad. Should I get DS3?

Yeah because DS3 is better than both of those combined

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

It's more of the same really.

If you suck at the game too much, just remember that you can summon people to help you through the hard parts.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

They're right

Look pal if you want this rune scimmy you gotta meet my guy in the wilderness. Thems the rules. You don't go meet him you can't buy it!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

If I preordered a game on Steam paying through PayPal, what's the procedure for getting a refund? Just contact Steam Support and go through the motions?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Tracula posted:

So just watched it and I agree. Blaxploitation aside even this is a really, really good and well made movie.

Oh heck yeah, Black Caesar is so good, I'm happy when more people get to discover it. Such a stylish revenge flick, and an original James Brown soundtrack even.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crusader Kings II seems like a game I should love but I just can't get into the UI/get a feel for how the game plays. It scratches that itch I have somewhere between the Total War series and Hearts of Iron, et al. Is there a better video / written tutorial than what comes in the game to know what I'm doing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good (and ugly) metroidvania game Super Panda Adventures is 99 cents http://store.steampowered.com/app/311190/?snr=1_7_7_weeklongdeals_150_2

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Olive Branch posted:

If I preordered a game on Steam paying through PayPal, what's the procedure for getting a refund? Just contact Steam Support and go through the motions?

Yes. If you preordered a game through PayPal, you already sent Steam the money. They will refund to your Steam wallet or to PayPal if you really insist on it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Harlock posted:

Crusader Kings II seems like a game I should love but I just can't get into the UI/get a feel for how the game plays. It scratches that itch I have somewhere between the Total War series and Hearts of Iron, et al. Is there a better video / written tutorial than what comes in the game to know what I'm doing?

I just read/watched an LP in the LP forum, there's like 20 going on at any given time

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Harlock posted:

Read an LP was the advice I got and it worked really well. Specifically this one: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
John Romero is going to make you all a game.

With mods and rocketjumping and running around fast. I look forward to playing the ten hour single player campaign (plot: the holodeck has gone wrong and evil) in 2019.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
it's daikatana. again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nevvy Z posted:

DS3 is good so far but holy poo poo I suck at it. DS2 was the only one I got into and I felt like I got really loving good at that game, but DS3 is kicking my rear end. I guess the "right way to play" and rhythm just hasn't come to me yet and maybe I just need to watch some videos. And I still have no idea how to really work some of the new mechanics now.

So. Probably?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Kickstarter assures me Romero's new game will have lifts, and switches. I have already forgotten its name though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chrisoya posted:

The Kickstarter assures me Romero's new game will have lifts, and switches. I have already forgotten its name though.

It's Darkroom, the first game from Night Work Games Ltd., the dark and violent subsidiary of Romero Games Ltd.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Harlock posted:

If you'd rather watch an LP than read it, check out Arumba's tutorial series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvJJuv1hvM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Watching stream about Bethesda's SnapMap for DOOM and you have to unlock poo poo in SnapMap with "SnapPoints" currency

DOA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chrisoya posted:

John Romero is going to make you all a game.

With mods and rocketjumping and running around fast. I look forward to playing the ten hour single player campaign (plot: the holodeck has gone wrong and evil) in 2019.

john romero has a good history of fulfilling his promises, especially when there's no screenshots or game footage,

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

john romero has a good history of fulfilling his promises, especially when there's no screenshots or game footage,

I've chosen to believe in him

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh Steam, you card!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

Watching stream about Bethesda's SnapMap for DOOM and you have to unlock poo poo in SnapMap with "SnapPoints" currency

DOA

Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The backer rewards for Darkroom are kinda hosed tho, there's a lot of "help design such and such part of the game" rewards which isn't promising.

• Locked thread