Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Nevvy Z posted:

I never beat DS or played DS2. But I really like DS I just am bad. Should I get DS3?

The ~3 hours I've put into DS3 have been amazing and fun, but then I've got an embarrassing number of hours into 1 and about 100 into 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Watching stream about Bethesda's SnapMap for DOOM and you have to unlock poo poo in SnapMap with "SnapPoints" currency

DOA

It's poo poo either way, but is it stuff like rocket launcher/railgun/BFG spawns or is it just scenery stuff? Both?

Either way, RIP Doom.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HardDisk posted:

It's poo poo either way, but is it stuff like rocket launcher/railgun/BFG spawns or is it just scenery stuff? Both?

Either way, RIP Doom.
So far they're being coy but they did say you have to 'buy' tiles/map elements

Now they're using the actual map maker and it looks about on par functionality-wise with Timesplitters 2's level maker, so the only way to make levels for Doom 4 is to take premade rooms and attach them with corridors, lol

also there are constraints on how many objects, enemies, rooms, etc you can have because of consoles hahaha

e: lol theres no environmental destruction on the object they set to blow up, it just disappeared

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 25, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

chrisoya posted:

John Romero is going to make you all a game.

With mods and rocketjumping and running around fast. I look forward to playing the ten hour single player campaign (plot: the holodeck has gone wrong and evil) in 2019.

No tier where he personally calls you and says he's gonna make you his bitch, not donating.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

good (and ugly) metroidvania game Super Panda Adventures is 99 cents http://store.steampowered.com/app/311190/?snr=1_7_7_weeklongdeals_150_2

Game's as good as it is ugly, would recommend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IT ONLY SUPPORTS UP TO 4 PLAYERS is this a PS2 game

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

HOXAR engineers are reinventing Timesplitters, with a jump button.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The FEAR bundle is the daily deal. If for whatever reason you still haven't got these games, get them they're really good.

They're much cheaper here though https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/fear-bundle

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

HOXAR engineers are reinventing Timesplitters, with a jump button.

QFG was talking about Doom, Blackroom hasn't announced any kind of limit.

I think a shooter with a small player limit could actually work, but I don't think doom will lol

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Has no one mentioned the Lionsgate thing? Movie rentals? What the hell?

https://twitter.com/steam_games/status/724669303476211713

Rentals though?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I never beat DS or played DS2. But I really like DS I just am bad. Should I get DS3?

I just wrote a steam review for this last night and it's not spoilery or anything.

In short, it's really good, but if you struggled with DS1, you'll probably find this harder, though I think it has the best difficultly curve in the series.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

finally, I can watch Dredd on my platform of choice, the personal computer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

NeonXSZ, procedurally generated Descent is a weekly deal. How did that turn out?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

odiv posted:

Rentals though?

How does rentals on PC even work? Does it disable your graphics card so you can't use a screen recording software to simply record the show so you can rewatch it later without having to rent it again?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Now they're using the actual map maker and it looks about on par functionality-wise with Timesplitters 2's level maker, so the only way to make levels for Doom 4 is to take premade rooms and attach them with corridors, lol

also there are constraints on how many objects, enemies, rooms, etc you can have because of consoles hahaha

e: lol theres no environmental destruction on the object they set to blow up, it just disappeared

haha gently caress doom

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i remember when i was in the doom alpha i told everyone it was bad and people didnt believe me

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

Rentals though?

They've had movies and rentals for a while, usually with a purchase option as well but I guess they didn't get the licence for these. Movies do big on game consoles and considering that's basically what Steam has become it's not a surprise they've gotten into it. What's weird is that they're not separating the game and video store at all, which is a little confusing but very Valve.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Leal posted:

How does rentals on PC even work? Does it disable your graphics card so you can't use a screen recording software to simply record the show so you can rewatch it later without having to rent it again?
Thats not how any rentals work, have you never used itunes or amazon before

you can use PlayOn to record amazon or netflix or w/e. watch stuff on your own time

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 25, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sivek posted:

I just wrote a steam review for this last night and it's not spoilery or anything.

In short, it's really good, but if you struggled with DS1, you'll probably find this harder, though I think it has the best difficultly curve in the series.

So what is the trick to really handling enemies? I'm still dicking around the Lothric Wall area but I find myself often taking too much damage and getting wrecked by even those wandering shield knight guys. I suppose my problem is DS2 is the only one i really played and was good at but it seems like I need to play totally different and I haven't quite figured it out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thats not how any rentals work, have you never used itunes or amazon before

No cause I don't rent stuff

Back in my day when they actually made movies and shows worth renting we'd have to physically go to a store to rent stuff.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Im assuming this is about DOOM and Im fine with it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Leal will go down clutching his Blockbuster rental card until the very end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HardDisk posted:

haha gently caress doom

Kill 500 cyberdemons to unlock the red skybox.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I'm really enjoying Renowned Explorers: International Society. It's pretty much what I would imagine would happen if Nintendo had made Darkest Dungeon. The combat is tedious but writing and art is overflowing with charm and whimsy.

Just look at how smug Pedrinho Pinheiro is.

I just bought The Curious Expedition too because this 19th century explorer theme is now officially my jam.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RVWinkle posted:

Just look at how smug Pedrinho Pinheiro is.

Is he supposed to be Anderson SIlva?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When will Teen Steam be available on Steam?

And will it be rated T for Teen?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

renowned explorers is really cool. they are working on an expansion for it too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Is he supposed to be Anderson SIlva?

no because that guy has two working legs

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

corn in the bible posted:

i remember when i was in the doom alpha i told everyone it was bad and people didnt believe me
I heard some people were pumped because of the trailer. My question is - are they blind?

The level design didn't look much different than Fallout 3's raider bases. Also even the guy recording the demo hid the chainsaw away after 3 long and identical kill animations because it was too boring.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Kill 500 cyberdemons to unlock the red skybox.

I want this to be true so bad.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SelenicMartian posted:

NeonXSZ, procedurally generated Descent is a weekly deal. How did that turn out?

Not that great.

I bought it and played it for 2 hours before getting a steam refund for it. Its really not like Descent, more like a 6 DOF fast paced arcade machine. The real problem is that the game was created by one dude and it completely shows. There is no story, no setup, everything is menu that take a long time to figure out and get familiar with, and the gameplay/content is basically: Go to sector, kill things, unlock new items cause you killed things, go to harder sector. While the graphics have a very nice Tron like feel to them its not as good as Tron that makes finding where you are going a complete mess.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DraconicImpulse posted:

The ~3 hours I've put into DS3 have been amazing and fun, but then I've got an embarrassing number of hours into 1 and about 100 into 2.

I'm gonna come back with my "never beaten chaos witch" playtime soon here.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow, sounds like they really understand Doom.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm excited for Hoops. Hoops in Rocket League. Hoops, there it is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm gonna come back with my "never beaten chaos witch" playtime soon here.

30 hours. still fun!

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Xaris posted:

So what is the trick to really handling enemies? I'm still dicking around the Lothric Wall area but I find myself often taking too much damage and getting wrecked by even those wandering shield knight guys. I suppose my problem is DS2 is the only one i really played and was good at but it seems like I need to play totally different and I haven't quite figured it out.

These are all probably things you already know from playing DS2 but maybe it might help some.

If you're playing melee, it probably comes down to just being more aggressive. Like are you two-handing your weapon? I don't know if the exact numbers are out there yet, but those knights don't have as much poise as you'd think, and I found I could interrupt their actions if I just committed straight to two-handed attacking when I saw an opening and not worry about blocking or dodging. Also rolling/dodging, once you get comfortable doing it, will almost always be better than blocking since you'll usually be in better position to attack and have more stamina left than if you block.

Most enemies in DS3 are very aggressive when you try to do stuff like circle to the right of them, which is something the previous games couldn't really handle effectively, like those knights will consistently shield bash you if you try to circle strafe around to an opening, which was one of the safest ways to handle enemies in the previous games. Unlearning this type of thing will help against a lot of the stronger enemies.

If you still want to use a shield, parry/riposting knight type enemies is always good once you get the timing down for it. Since you mention mainly playing DS2, DS3's parry system is more like the DS1 way, which is much easier to pull off, imo. You usually want to time the parry for right before the enemy looks like it's going to connect with its attack and you don't have to wait a few ticks to do the riposte like you did in DS2. I think DS3 parrying is a lot easier than it was to do in DS2.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Two-handed shield blocking is pretty rad. Hold triangle or Y to two-hand your off-hand weapon.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

Two-handed shield blocking is pretty rad. Hold triangle or Y to two-hand your off-hand weapon.

There was a npc summon in DS2 that dual-wielded greatshields. It was hosed up and more npc summons should be like that.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sivek posted:

There was a npc summon in DS2 that dual-wielded greatshields. It was hosed up and more npc summons should be like that.

Good 'ol Sellsword Luet, that dude was a boss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Perhaps he should've been called buysword luet

• Locked thread