Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

I have some of that at work, but I normally buy the 100% pure isopropyl alcohol jugs they sell at Fry's. I always laugh when I see that 'rated military grade' type of garbage on/when describing products. What's the cheapest I can get in bulk or will I get a kickback for forcing the military to buy this? = military grade.

Well, I just mean that the 91% and 70% you can get in drug stores are not rated for cleaning circuitboards. Both are fine as long as no electricity is running through it before it dries, but I'd rather go with the one that doesn't have water in it at all for metal contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

flyboi posted:

Double posting, not giving a gently caress. So 8bitdo the makers of those bluetooth NES/SNES/FC gamepads released a new product

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/

A wireless receiver for NES that lets you use their controllers or other various bluetooth controllers on your NES

This is super cool. I wish you could connect it to the power switch and turn it on remotely as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I know that it's no good for me (and no good for anybody, really), but every single time I see a R.O.B., I want it so loving badly because I hate myself and I hate time/money. I even had it when I was a little kid but I could never appreciate it until it ended up being cost-inexcusable.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one who wants a ROB as a display piece :shepspends:.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want an actual piece of retro gaming history, RetroGames.uk has, for 30 GBP, a copy of Nintendo's Annual Company Report for the year 1989. It's something that was sent out to investors and shareholders.

This is mine now, thanks for posting.

Edit: I like how it populates the "Customers who bought this also bought..." section with the other thing I just bought! It's this weird old Pac-Man keychain I used to own, with art that is rumored to be by Iwatani himself.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

I know that it's no good for me (and no good for anybody, really), but every single time I see a R.O.B., I want it so loving badly because I hate myself and I hate time/money. I even had it when I was a little kid but I could never appreciate it until it ended up being cost-inexcusable.

I have another ROB that I used to use as a display piece at work. Maybe I'll bring it in to replace the bowling pin that I currently use.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

A pile of 2600 games and no Activision. This person had a sad life.

He's got Math Gran Prix. Who needs anything more?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't worry, you aren't the only one who wants a ROB as a display piece :shepspends:.

I bought a ROB Amiibo and that's good enough for me. :downs:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ofecks posted:

A pile of 2600 games and no Activision. This person had a sad life.

Half of those are quality games. Much better average than the usual Atari haul.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's because ROB is awesome for display.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I'm creeped out.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
put down some fabric on that... ledge thing and clean up ROB, he looks like he's been smoking a pack a day :v:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If I had ROBs library I would be smoking a pack a day too.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, ROB was not in the best shape when I got him. I'm not even sure if he works. The accessories came at a different time and were all in much better shape.

Edit: As to the ledge and the other oddities of the "display" it's this odd ledge on the steps down to the basement, so when you go down the stairs you see ROB staring up at you. Also the Dreamcast is just the shell, I'd gotten a blue shell replacement at some point and never had the heart to get rid of the original. The pokeball has a jigglypuff card in it and the skull is just a skull.

Further edit: and yeah, it needs a cloth or something, but I'm moving out of this crappy apartment sooner rather then later, so ROB's new home will be much better thought out.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I... would actually use it. Like a train set. :spergin:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I... would actually use it. Like a train set. :spergin:

You can only play Gyromite so many times.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Baron Snow posted:

Ha good to know I'm not the only one who still has the Burger King gold plated Pokemon Card, mine's Togepi. At least I got it as a gift and didn't buy it for myself.

Here's a discussion question: Does any one else find that what game genres they like/are most interested in has changed since childhood? When I was a kid I couldn't get enough of FPSes, action RPGs, platformers, and Super Smash Bros Melee. Now that I'm older I haven't touched a FPS in a couple years and am getting into turn based RPGS, something I never though I'd do. Plus I finally branched out into more traditional 2d fighting games. About the only thing that has remained constant is a love of puzzle games and shmups/other arcadey style games.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

You can only play Gyromite so many times.

Then the train set analogy is apt.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Then the train set analogy is apt.

There's only one retrogaming train set.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

There's only one retrogaming train set.

I want this so badly as part of a modern game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just got a SNES from SA-Mart and I guess my main TV doesn't support 240p because I get no picture/sound. It works fine on my old LCD. What are my options for up scaling that don't involve RGB modding or buying a $300+ Framemeister or something

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pablo Gigante posted:

I just got a SNES from SA-Mart and I guess my main TV doesn't support 240p because I get no picture/sound. It works fine on my old LCD. What are my options for up scaling that don't involve RGB modding or buying a $300+ Framemeister or something

Getting a SCART or S-Video to HDMI converter. Not the best solution. But it'll show up on your TV.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That's funny, though. I figured most TVs at least supported 240p over composite or RF - even if they have to treat it like 480i to do it. 240p over component, tho...

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pablo Gigante posted:

As 8-bit Miniboss mentioned, getting a SCART to HDMI converter would probably be the cheapest option, though not necessarily the best.

The upshot is that the first model SNES does composite video, S-Video, and RGB right out of its multi-AV port; you just need to plug in the appropriate cable, and you're good to go. This matters since a SCART to HDMI converter will typically use the RGB out from your system, so not needing to do any modding to output it is a great thing.

You might also want to check your TV manual and see what kind of input setup it has. If your main TV has component / YPbPr inputs only, you should check to see what the green port is set to (since that's usually shared with the "green" signal and composite video input). If your TV thinks you're sending in a low-res component signal of some sort (as Shadow Hog mentioned), then it might not display anything.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

flyboi posted:

Double posting, not giving a gently caress. So 8bitdo the makers of those bluetooth NES/SNES/FC gamepads released a new product

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/

A wireless receiver for NES that lets you use their controllers or other various bluetooth controllers on your NES

I wonder if you could get this to work with one of those NES controller Bluetooth conversions (which basically registers as a Bluetooth keyboard) to keep that authentic feel. $20 isn't a terrible price, but if I were to buy two receivers and two of their controllers you're talking like $110.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

McFunkerson posted:

I wonder if you could get this to work with one of those NES controller Bluetooth conversions (which basically registers as a Bluetooth keyboard) to keep that authentic feel. $20 isn't a terrible price, but if I were to buy two receivers and two of their controllers you're talking like $110.

I got to say the 8bitendo controllers feel really, really close to the real thing. I think when I move I might get a set of the adapters so I can not have any wires for the NES.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Get a free/cheap CRT from craigslist or a thrift store, any Sony that says Trinitron on it would be more than good. It will be way better than anything you could do with an HDTV, including a framemiester imo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Aix posted:

lots of people mislabelled S-Video connectors as SVHS.

Even Nintendo did it!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Only the earlier hardware revisions. The later designs removed the hole for the stick as well as moved the cord from the right side to the top.

The cable came out of the right side of the controller? :stonklol:
How uncomfortable was that exactly??

Baron Snow posted:

Even Nas agrees

Djarum posted:

I am trying to figure out a better solution for installing it in my AV Famicom when/if I get one. I don't like the idea of cutting the case so I have been toying with the idea of installing a HDMI extension in some way to eliminate that.

One thing I can think of maybe is getting a male HDMI to female HDMI mini (or whatever the smallest HDMI size is) and use that. At worst you would just have to make a tiny hole (like micro USB size) instead of a big one.

All this talk about the Hi-Def NES is kinda making me regret that I went the PC-10 PPU and NESRGB routes for my AV Famicom and toaster. The main reason? The option to get rid of the "garbage" data on the sides of games. It's seriously so freakin' distracting in Super Mario Bros. 3 and being able to get rid of it on a real system is such a cool feature.

That being said, is the Hi-Def NES going to do a good job at putting out a 1080p image? Does it render the Framemeister useless? It's a little confusing because I can't imagine the Hi-Def NES is going to be as good as the Framemeister at "upscaling" but then again I have no idea.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Someone should mod twin Famicoms to have controller ports

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Anidav posted:

Someone should mod twin Famicoms to have controller ports

I use one of these during the rare times I want to use a NES controller on my twin (native famicom port controllers like the Hudson Joycard and ASCII Stick II Turbo are so much better than anything released for the NES):

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

d0s posted:

I use one of these during the rare times I want to use a NES controller on my twin (native famicom port controllers like the Hudson Joycard and ASCII Stick II Turbo are so much better than anything released for the NES):

It's not a great solution though, some games don't work with it. The port is missing some latch pins or something and some games can't cope. It's a handful of them fortunately and primarily NA games since they were never expecting to use the port to begin with.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm curious, what resolution does an S-Video to HDMI converter output to? Or does it depend on a device by device basis?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm curious, what resolution does an S-Video to HDMI converter output to? Or does it depend on a device by device basis?

These converter boxes usually have a button switch to swap between 720p and 1080p. It won't look good as you think however.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm not expecting them to look great, but they can't look too bad for N64, right? All things considered though, it'd probably be better to just wait for UltraHDMIs to be in stock and hope I can get on the list, I guess.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I just pulled the trigger on a pvm

:retrogames:

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Nice! What model?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sony pvm 14n5u. Which works for me since all my stuff is svideo. Except for my nes which I really need to get on modding

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

d0s posted:

Get a free/cheap CRT from craigslist or a thrift store, any Sony that says Trinitron on it would be more than good. It will be way better than anything you could do with an HDTV, including a framemiester imo

I know this is everybody's default answer but I don't have the room for a giant heavy-rear end TV in my apartment

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's not a great solution though, some games don't work with it. The port is missing some latch pins or something and some games can't cope. It's a handful of them fortunately and primarily NA games since they were never expecting to use the port to begin with.

Most all of those had patches release to support them. The real pain is felt on homebrew games as none of them support it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kthulhu5000 posted:

As 8-bit Miniboss mentioned, getting a SCART to HDMI converter would probably be the cheapest option, though not necessarily the best.

The upshot is that the first model SNES does composite video, S-Video, and RGB right out of its multi-AV port; you just need to plug in the appropriate cable, and you're good to go. This matters since a SCART to HDMI converter will typically use the RGB out from your system, so not needing to do any modding to output it is a great thing.

You might also want to check your TV manual and see what kind of input setup it has. If your main TV has component / YPbPr inputs only, you should check to see what the green port is set to (since that's usually shared with the "green" signal and composite video input). If your TV thinks you're sending in a low-res component signal of some sort (as Shadow Hog mentioned), then it might not display anything.

It does have a shared composite video/green component port, the TV seems to recognize that some kind of signal is going in, since it switches to 480i mode and I can see a 4:3 picture on the screen, it's just blank and there's no sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

I know this is everybody's default answer but I don't have the room for a giant heavy-rear end TV in my apartment

If you legit-want to use your main TV options are a bit unpredictable without going into expensive territory.

It's worth checking that you're hooked up right double-check your TV's settings, maybe you can explicitly tell it to expect composite instead of component. It is, however, possible your TV will just refuse to display the wonky signal an SNES outputs, and something will have to go in between.

The Framemeister is the go-to due to supporting HDMI and being explicitly designed for gaming, as well as being consistently available, although various other upscalers do exist including some that'll use, for example, VGA if your TV supports that. In all likelihood you can locate a cheap composite-to-HDMI box that'll "work" technically but may give you lovely lag and/or picture quality.

Sometimes you can even get lucky by passing the console through some random other device in the middle like a DVD recorder, so if you have something like that kicking around give that a try.

Failing that, this website http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ does a thorough analysis of tons of official upscalers old and new for gaming purposes, and you may get lucky on eBay for one of the older discontinued models if your TV has the hookups it'll require.

• Locked thread