Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Capsaicin posted:

I need some help looking for a book that I saw discussed on io9 a while back. I honestly can't remember if it was a graphic novel or traditional novel, so maybe you all can help?

It was about two sisters, maybe female friends, that at least one of them got super powers? I believe it was described as "melancholy". It came out around 2013/2014. I searched all through io9 and couldn't find it. :/ Any ideas?

It's kind of a late response, but I was browsing back in the thread and saw it was unanswered.

Is this the book you were seeking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

XBenedict posted:

It's kind of a late response, but I was browsing back in the thread and saw it was unanswered.

Is this the book you were seeking?

Or maybe "The Girl Who Would Be King?"

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm trying to remember the name of a sci-fi novel I read in the late 90's, about a girl who somehow time travels to the end of time. She then witnesses the universe collapse on itself, be reborn with a Big Bang, and watches everything repeat at an obviously fast-forwarded speed, to when she sees Earth again, humanity again, and eventually her own life again (or something like that). Then she watches the cycle again I think? I can't remember if she is dying or something. Sorry for the vagueness.

Another one, again late 90's, has two points of view; one from the human astronauts aboard a space station in orbit around a planet where they have discovered sentient life, with the other POV from the aliens' perspective, where time passes much differently. A day in their life is like a minute to the humans, or maybe even more than that, because they are made of solar energy or something? My memory fails at this point, although I think the humans were dealing with some kind of crisis aboard the space station I think.

Thanks in advance if this rings a bell for anyone.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The second one is by Robert L. Forward, either Dragon's Egg, or its sequel, Starquake.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 25, 2016

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jcam posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a sci-fi novel I read in the late 90's, about a girl who somehow time travels to the end of time. She then witnesses the universe collapse on itself, be reborn with a Big Bang, and watches everything repeat at an obviously fast-forwarded speed, to when she sees Earth again, humanity again, and eventually her own life again (or something like that). Then she watches the cycle again I think? I can't remember if she is dying or something. Sorry for the vagueness.

This could be The Starlight Crystal by Christoper Pike.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'm glad this thread exists.

I read a book about virtual reality, this was back in the late 90s though. I have the impression the book was written in the 80s. The basic premise involved a male protagonist jumping from game to game, the book for certain involved at least a medieval castle attack/defend scenario as well as a more modern scenario involving guns and cars (the fact that they were manual transmission was an important point in one scene). Some note was made that the male protagonist was particularly skillful with a gun in this setting due to being a military veteran of some sort. Another relevant bit I can recall is that allocating skill points in one of the scenarios involved transferring liquid from one container to another, while being careful not to overfill/spill. The book also had a female character in a fairly typical romance interest/damsel in distress role.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Amstrad posted:

I'm glad this thread exists.

I read a book about virtual reality, this was back in the late 90s though. I have the impression the book was written in the 80s. The basic premise involved a male protagonist jumping from game to game, the book for certain involved at least a medieval castle attack/defend scenario as well as a more modern scenario involving guns and cars (the fact that they were manual transmission was an important point in one scene). Some note was made that the male protagonist was particularly skillful with a gun in this setting due to being a military veteran of some sort. Another relevant bit I can recall is that allocating skill points in one of the scenarios involved transferring liquid from one container to another, while being careful not to overfill/spill. The book also had a female character in a fairly typical romance interest/damsel in distress role.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Sounds like Piers Anthony's "Killobyte".

So very, very 90s.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Killobyte by Piers Anthony possibly. Did it have stuff about Druze? If it did that's definitely it.

^^Dang. That's totally it though.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sounds like Piers Anthony's "Killobyte".

So very, very 90s.

Peztopiary posted:

Killobyte by Piers Anthony possibly. Did it have stuff about Druze? If it did that's definitely it.

^^Dang. That's totally it though.

Yes, this must be it. I did go through a period where I read anything by Piers Anthony that was on the library shelf. I guess I just forgot it was one of his due to it not being one of the Xanth books.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, I read this back in the 80's, probably. This space-thief crash-lands on an alien planet, is thrown from his space-car and is space-paralyzed.

He lands near a colony of bug-sized aliens who end up worshipping him as a god because his bodily fluids end a drought and the peeling skin from his sunburn serve as roofing materials (I swear to god).

At one point, he manages to move his mostly paralyzed arm 6 inches to wipe out an invading bug tribe.

It ends with the bugs blasting off into space and there's a huge monument to him in the background as the founder of their civilization.

I got nothin

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

navyjack posted:

Ok, I read this back in the 80's, probably. This space-thief crash-lands on an alien planet, is thrown from his space-car and is space-paralyzed.

He lands near a colony of bug-sized aliens who end up worshipping him as a god because his bodily fluids end a drought and the peeling skin from his sunburn serve as roofing materials (I swear to god).

At one point, he manages to move his mostly paralyzed arm 6 inches to wipe out an invading bug tribe.

It ends with the bugs blasting off into space and there's a huge monument to him in the background as the founder of their civilization.

I got nothin

Gift of a Useless Man by Allen Dean Foster.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Gift of a Useless Man by Allen Dean Foster.

This is it!! Thanks! Can't believe I didn't remember it was Alan Dean Foster!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

navyjack posted:

This is it!! Thanks! Can't believe I didn't remember it was Alan Dean Foster!

No problem! I can't find it anywhere except supposedly in some old anthologies you'd have to buy the physical book for and good luck finding them. Which is a shame as I want to reread it now that I've been reminded that it exists.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Hobnob posted:

The second one is by Robert L. Forward, either Dragon's Egg, or its sequel, Starquake.

wheatpuppy posted:

This could be The Starlight Crystal by Christoper Pike.

You were both right on the money, Dragon's Egg and The Starlight Crystal. Thanks a lot.

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
Hopefully someone can help me identify this book that I barely remember.... the main character is a lonely (female?) nerd who loves Ray Harryhausen movies, and may have a cat or dog named Harryhausen.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Thanks to a discussion with a friend about books we read in high school, I am struggling to remember the one I read that I really liked.

I know the main character was a young man. Perhaps high school/college aged.
He ran away from home and started living in the wilderness. I recall at some point he met a girl while living in the wild, and there was some sort of peril she got into. Maybe even dying.

I know it's a real vague description to go off of, but it's been like 14 years since I have even thought about it and it's driving me nuts not to remember what it was.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SereneCrimson posted:

Thanks to a discussion with a friend about books we read in high school, I am struggling to remember the one I read that I really liked.

He ran away from home and started living in the wilderness. I recall at some point he met a girl while living in the wild, and there was some sort of peril she got into. Maybe even dying.

I know it's a real vague description to go off of, but it's been like 14 years since I have even thought about it and it's driving me nuts not to remember what it was.

My Side of the Mountain? That one was about a young man who went to live in the mountains, don't remember if he met a girl though.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SereneCrimson posted:

Maybe Brian's Return or Brian's Hunt, sequels to Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This is going to be quite vague, since I haven't read it since I was 12 or so.

It was a novel-sized YA book from before YA was really a thing... I don't remember a publication date but I'd say it was the 50s or 60s by the tone.

It was a book or series of books about two brothers (IIRC) who went diving in the south seas but in some fashion lost their ship and got stuck on an atoll with, I think, a "native" crewman/cabinboy. They eventually make a raft and try to reach land. Lots of descriptions of scavenging food and fishing... I remember particularly a scene where they explored a shipwreck with scuba gear, ate sausages (?) and drank Coke underwater.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure this is not any famous series, I'd say the writing is slightly better than the Hardy Boys, with shades of 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was a book or series of books about two brothers (IIRC) who went diving in the south seas but in some fashion lost their ship and got stuck on an atoll with, I think, a "native" crewman/cabinboy. They eventually make a raft and try to reach land. Lots of descriptions of scavenging food and fishing... I remember particularly a scene where they explored a shipwreck with scuba gear, ate sausages (?) and drank Coke underwater.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure this is not any famous series, I'd say the writing is slightly better than the Hardy Boys, with shades of 20,000 leagues under the sea.
Willard Price?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I read some dystopian young adult book 20+ years ago that involved perhaps some kind of underground civilisation and a girl deliberately failing exams to avoid being taken away - the cover possibly involved a vaguely Escheresque series of planes. Any idea?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You're fantastic, it was South Sea Adventure and Underwater Adventure that I read (those were the only ones of the series my library had).

Now if I could just figure out those weird science fiction short story collections I read in grade school... They were like my first exposure to SF, but it's been so long I can't remember a drat thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xiw posted:

I read some dystopian young adult book 20+ years ago that involved perhaps some kind of underground civilisation and a girl deliberately failing exams to avoid being taken away - the cover possibly involved a vaguely Escheresque series of planes. Any idea?

I remember reading a book in 4th or 5th grade involving an underground civilization that I want to say ate its meals as pills... Did yours have that?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Pham Nuwen posted:

Now if I could just figure out those weird science fiction short story collections I read in grade school... They were like my first exposure to SF, but it's been so long I can't remember a drat thing.

Well, give us a try. Anything at all you can remember? If you can get the details of even one story, the ISFDB is pretty good for pinning down what collections it was in.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm trying to remember a short story anthology from the 90's. I thought it might be in the Borderlands series, but unless I skipped a story it wasn't. But I'm almost certain it was on the same publisher. All I really remember about the one story is that there is someone watching security cameras in a store (grocery store maybe?) watching someone walking through the aisles, and there is some sort of horse-demon that is coming up through the floor or something like that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Section 9 posted:

I'm trying to remember a short story anthology from the 90's. I thought it might be in the Borderlands series, but unless I skipped a story it wasn't. But I'm almost certain it was on the same publisher. All I really remember about the one story is that there is someone watching security cameras in a store (grocery store maybe?) watching someone walking through the aisles, and there is some sort of horse-demon that is coming up through the floor or something like that.

Probably the first The Darker Side anthology, edited by John Pelan. At the very least it has the story you're talking about in it.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Ornamented Death posted:

Probably the first The Darker Side anthology, edited by John Pelan. At the very least it has the story you're talking about in it.

Just from the cover art I can say I have owned that book before, so thanks. Sadly, does not seem to be available on eBook, poop.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
It's a short story that I'm pretty sure I read after someone else asked about it in this thread.

I think it's sci-fi but I can't really remember why I think that. The plot is something to do with a military leader returning to his home after fighting in some sort of massive battle. Some other soldiers turn up and make trouble and he is forced to kill them. I know that's vague but I think the story was purposefully vague and short of details itself.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

It's a short story that I'm pretty sure I read after someone else asked about it in this thread.

I think it's sci-fi but I can't really remember why I think that. The plot is something to do with a military leader returning to his home after fighting in some sort of massive battle. Some other soldiers turn up and make trouble and he is forced to kill them. I know that's vague but I think the story was purposefully vague and short of details itself.

It's the one of the best genre stories ever IMO: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/quietwar.htm

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Section 9 posted:

Just from the cover art I can say I have owned that book before, so thanks. Sadly, does not seem to be available on eBook, poop.

To be honest, that's probably for the best. Pelan has a history of not paying authors when using their stories for his anthologies, instead saying they're being paid "in exposure" (even for established authors).

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

mcustic posted:

It's the one of the best genre stories ever IMO: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/quietwar.htm

That was fast, thanks!

It's a really good story. Do you know if the rest of his writing is as strong?

According to wikipedia his most recent novels have been Star Trek stuff and something called 'The Dragon Hammer, Wulf's Saga Book 1' which looks like the most generic kind of fantasy possible. It seems kind of bizarre that he's writing that sort of stuff given how impressive A Dry, Quiet War is.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

That was fast, thanks!

According to wikipedia his most recent novels have been Star Trek stuff and something called 'The Dragon Hammer, Wulf's Saga Book 1' which looks like the most generic kind of fantasy possible. It seems kind of bizarre that he's writing that sort of stuff given how impressive A Dry, Quiet War is.

I don't know, never read anything else.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 (2000-2001) that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 (2000-2001) that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

I think it's older than that, because I feel I read it in the mid 1980s. I *thought* it might have been in 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, because I was reading a ton of those Asimov/Greenberg/Olander collections around that time, but I had a quick look and couldn't see it.

From memory, he was actually found guilty, but if he stayed in the room for seven days he was free to go, and the timing on his release was out?

Possibly that anthology also had "Now Inhale" by Eric Frank Russell - from the description (to avoid spoilers on a 1959 story):

quote:

Wayne Taylor is a Terran interstellar scout who has crash-landed on a heretofore unknown alien planet. The aliens are sufficiently annoyed to classify Taylor as a spy, but civilized enough to have formal procedures for ending his unwelcome visit.

The aliens possess an enshrined tradition that everyone to be terminated is entitled to a final game — a palliative to the afterlife not unlike our custom of a last meal.

As Taylor learns, the challenge is to make that final game last as long as possible. Of course it is absolutely unlikely that any commonly-known game could be played long enough for rescuers from Terra to reach him. He's allowed to choose either an alien or Terran game. The game he comes up with he calls, in deadpan earnestness, Arky-malarkey.

If that rings a bell the anthology would be TV:2000. If not, I might be leading you down the wrong path.

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 8, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gorbash posted:

I think it's older than that, because I feel I read it in the mid 1980s. I *thought* it might have been in 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, because I was reading a ton of those Asimov/Greenberg/Olander collections around that time, but I had a quick look and couldn't see it.

From memory, he was actually found guilty, but if he stayed in the room for seven days he was free to go, and the timing on his release was out?

Possibly that anthology also had "Now Inhale" by Eric Frank Russell - from the description (to avoid spoilers on a 1959 story):

If that rings a bell the anthology would be TV:2000. If not, I might be leading you down the wrong path.

This sounds like it, but I haven't been able to find a title yet, I'll keep looking today

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

This sounds like it, but I haven't been able to find a title yet, I'll keep looking today

I think i conflated it with a story that was in 100 Great SF Short Short Stories, about someone who just wasn't provided any assistance after their appeal period (assistance including things like water). Sorry I couldn't help, but please post here if you find it - it's bugging me now too.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I think the title of this book was something like "Illegal Aliens", but that's too generic to Google and I can't remember the author.

The first half is about a ship of alien pirates/trolls who go from planet to planet to freak out the locals with tall tales of empires and invasions. They're stopped by a group of scientist, then killed by a biker gang that the aliens had earlier abducted. The first half ends with Earth being blockaded.

In the second half the Earthlings get a single ship past the blockade and go in search of a navigation cube to plead their case to the Great Golden Ones. They visit a ship graveyard and a planet of libertarian bug people. Eventually the whole thing is revealed as a misunderstanding and the book ends with an off-screen nose flute orgy.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Lot 49 posted:

That was fast, thanks!

Based on the great short story, I tried The Robot's Twilight Companion, but I didn't care for it and never finished it. Metaplanetary and Superluminal have been in my queue for a while.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 9, 2016

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Added Space posted:

I think the title of this book was something like "Illegal Aliens", but that's too generic to Google and I can't remember the author.

The first half is about a ship of alien pirates/trolls who go from planet to planet to freak out the locals with tall tales of empires and invasions. They're stopped by a group of scientist, then killed by a biker gang that the aliens had earlier abducted. The first half ends with Earth being blockaded.

In the second half the Earthlings get a single ship past the blockade and go in search of a navigation cube to plead their case to the Great Golden Ones. They visit a ship graveyard and a planet of libertarian bug people. Eventually the whole thing is revealed as a misunderstanding and the book ends with an off-screen nose flute orgy.

Probably https://www.amazon.com/Illegal-Aliens-Nick-Pollotta-ebook/dp/B004PYDS24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

mcustic posted:

wow that was really great i liked the bit where the only female character got raped with a neuron-stripping space taser! what an awesome example of the genre