Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

This is loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is loving amazing

agreed

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Instead of star fox, buy sin and punishment 2 for less than half the price, because it's incredible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the original better, 2 has too many jet pack levels.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just watched this on break and it's fantastic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

been following that cartoon progress for a few years---pretty crazy how that old ebaums guy, Fredryk Phox, animated and voiced and did the music for so much of it. A lot of the tracks he was working on are just fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRi_74k8mM

Though I do miss back when the series was supposed to be this odd quasi-musical thing-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a93HXtomCt4

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is better than it has any right to be. I love the retro future aesthetic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Holy poo poo stuff chases you for a lot longer in the original Dark Souls than in 3. Didn't notice when I originally played it, probably because I was more cautious.

Ahundredbux posted:

To be fair, going from a side-scroller to a FPS changes the way the game plays. Same reson ppl got upset over Fallout or Syndicate or whatever...
Yeah, Metroid Prime is amazing but if you don't like FPS games (or whatever wanky thing they called it instead) then fair enough.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Holy poo poo stuff chases you for a lot longer in the original Dark Souls than in 3. Didn't notice when I originally played it, probably because I was more cautious.

Yeah, Metroid Prime is amazing but if you don't like FPS games (or whatever wanky thing they called it instead) then fair enough.

How far stuff chases you in 3 is dependent on few factors. Different enemies chase different distances, and there are invisible thresholds they will not cross. But there are definitely situations where an enemy like a Grave Warden will chase you to what seems like the ends of the earth.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Holy poo poo stuff chases you for a lot longer in the original Dark Souls than in 3.

Really? A lot of stuff breaks aggro from me if I run back far enough.
I think if you do enough damage a lot of enemies will then start breaking out of their aggro range to chase you, usually if you take them below 60-70%.

Though I think dropping off ledges fucks with them a bit. The first Black Knight I killed because dropping off a ledge just made him completely lose me so just kept doing it and shooting him in the back of the head when he lost aggro.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first Black Knight in ds1 will follow you all the way back to the bonfire and fight you in the bonfire room.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is better than it has any right to be. I love the retro future aesthetic.

:same:

exquisite tea posted:

Why is this dumb game only coming out for PS4.

I'd like to point out that Helldivers was in the same boat: PSN game.

It is on Steam as well :getin:

Golden Goat posted:

Really? A lot of stuff breaks aggro from me if I run back far enough.
I think if you do enough damage a lot of enemies will then start breaking out of their aggro range to chase you, usually if you take them below 60-70%.

Though I think dropping off ledges fucks with them a bit. The first Black Knight I killed because dropping off a ledge just made him completely lose me so just kept doing it and shooting him in the back of the head when he lost aggro.

The "Doran Strategy"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Some enemies will chase you a lot farther if they're in the middle of a charging attack. Like the big guys in the Settlement will chase you beyond his normal bounds if he's got his weapon raised. Sometimes you just need to get close enough for them to finish the attack, then they'll start walking backwards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Snak posted:

The first Black Knight in ds1 will follow you all the way back to the bonfire and fight you in the bonfire room.

Yeah, that kind of thing seems to happen a lot more in 1, whereas in 3 (and maybe 2, I dunno), they'd have hosed off before that point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The giant crabs actually know where you live and will follow you to your house to gently caress you up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

The giant crabs actually know where you live and will follow you to your house to gently caress you up.

The will aggro to you from way outside of their normal range if you smash one of their babies :(

I guess that makes them like the mushrooms in Artorias of the Abyss

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Have you ever wondered what Dark Souls would be like as a PS1 game?

No. Of course you haven't because King's Field exists.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

TBF the first black night was like a 15 second run from that bonfire.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is this the one made by Fredryk Phox?

Edit. Looks like it is. Good for him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How come no one has complained about the dark souls 3 bonfires being literally 2 seconds apart. It was one of the hot dark souls 2 topics to complain about.

There's two parts where you only have to walk up stairs or across a bridge to see another bonfire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FanaticalMilk posted:

TBF the first black night was like a 15 second run from that bonfire.

Most entire zones can be run in about 15 seconds... This is more or less independent of the geography which enemies will follow you over.

But thinking about it, I think Docter Spaceman was right: in general, stuff chases you farther in DS1. DS3 has a lot of invisible thresholds that cutoff chases. So many that it's hard to even test what the real distance guy would chase you is. I'm not complaining. Bloodborne kept a lot of its enemies on a tighter leash as well.

edit: ^ because in addition to tripping over checkpoint bonfires, DS3 has super sick hub bonfires as well. For me at least, the problem with DS2 wasn't "too many bonfires" but "not enough elegantly designed hub bonfires". You get Cardinal Tower, and then... I don't remember. Even really compact vertical areas in DS2, like Earthen Peak, just had checkpoint bonfires.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 26, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

How come no one has complained about the dark souls 3 bonfires being literally 2 seconds apart. It was one of the hot dark souls 2 topics to complain about.

There's two parts where you only have to walk up stairs or across a bridge to see another bonfire.

That hasn't been my experience at all

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I think people got over it in 2.

There's one spot like that in 1 as well I think (near the start of the Demon Ruins).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I am okay with close by bonfires.

Also that one bonfire pair that's literally a staircase away is funny.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also dark souls 3 is linear as gently caress. I'm thinking these back to back releases are really hurting the series. I want to see another dark souls without Miyazaki again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

I am okay with close by bonfires.

Also that one bonfire pair that's literally a staircase away is funny.

A bunch of these are Boss bonfires, though, right?

That's just part of the mechanical consistency of how Dark Souls works. Kill a boss, get a bonfire. Walk 20 feet to the next bonfire. This way you can go back and spend your souls from beating the boss immediately without having to venture into unknown territory, but then you don't have to walk that 20 feet every time you die in the new area.

edit: ^only if you miss a bunch of areas...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

That's just part of the mechanical consistency of how Dark Souls works. Kill a boss, get a bonfire. Walk 20 feet to the next bonfire. This way you can go back and spend your souls from beating the boss immediately without having to venture into unknown territory, but then you don't have to walk that 20 feet every time you die in the new area.

edit: ^only if you miss a bunch of areas...

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley bonfire, walk across the bridge and there's another bonfire. Unless you really consider the dog a boss. He dies to two chaos fire balls.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

There's like zero need to have a bonfire appear after a boss when there was one just outside their arena though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like, who cares if they put one at the end of an area and again at the start of the next one? It's just quality-of-life, it doesn't make the game easier, in fact it doesn't affect much of anything

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley bonfire, walk across the bridge and there's another bonfire. Unless you really consider the dog a boss. He dies to two chaos fire balls.

Great for you and your ranged character. He one-shot a bunch of times because I suck. But no, that is not a boss bonfire, that is an example of one of the weird areas of traversial checkpoint bonfires. See also Road of Sacrifices

I don't really think it's a problem, though? like, they set up a bunch of cool hubs that a little bit of distance between them geographically, and they know the running for running's sake isn't any fun, so they put bonfires in as checkpoints. Central Irithyll is also not a hub, and you get to the Irithyll hub as your next bonfire. There is probably a zone loading reason to do it this way as well. There are a couple of places where you can tell the game is having trouble loading areas, so there might be performance reasons for not making people run farther, in addition to it just being decent design.

edit:

Golden Goat posted:

There's like zero need to have a bonfire appear after a boss when there was one just outside their arena though.
That's true, but Soulsgames operate on a significant level of internal consistency. Some boss bonfires make sense, therefore all bosses have bonfires. Why not?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I wouldn't say that's a quality-of-life thing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

That's true, but Soulsgames operate on a significant level of internal consistency. Some boss bonfires make sense, therefore all bosses have bonfires. Why not?

Cause it's redundant?

Like I'm not saying DS3 is ruined by this, just that it's a silly thing that they overlooked.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Cause it's redundant?

Like I'm not saying DS3 is ruined by this, just that it's a silly thing that they overlooked.

It's not overlooked, though. Some boss bonfires need to be in the game, therefore all bosses make boss bonfires. This is a design choice to be consistent.

edit: And I'm greatful for them, because sometimes I need to stop playing as soon as a beat a boss, and the boss bonfire provides that "save point", and I can venture into the next area fresh on my next session.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You just killed a skeleton lord, it was a tough fight, you want to spend your souls and check out what cool gear you can make. A bonfire appears! You teleport to the hub.

You return from the hub, ready to continue. You carry on from the boss bonfire, up a long staircase, into a magic snow valley. There's a bonfire there, you light it, and keep pressing forward. Then you get ambushed by a wooly gator and die.

Now you get to skip the uneventful staircase climb. And why not?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

It's not overlooked, though. Some boss bonfires need to be in the game, therefore all bosses make boss bonfires. This is a design choice to be consistent.
Okay. They're being consistent but it's still redundant to have them that close by.

It's okay to poke fun at the small design flaws in Souls games you know?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Okay. They're being consistent but it's still redundant to have them that close by.

It's okay to poke fun at the small design flaws in Souls games you know?

But it's not a design flaw. And it's not redundant.

Small design flaws are like having "use multiple" called "use selected" in the menu, even though that's obtuse and unintuitive.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the most ridiculous bonfire distance in all of souls series is that one in the nightmare of mensis that is literally 2 seconds away on a flat plane. Just two lanterns in the same area right next to each other

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not even really a flaw though unless you think it makes the environment look bad because it doesn't affect gameplay at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

frankly they should call them Bonfire Souls, because of how many bonfires there are !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I think the most ridiculous bonfire distance in all of souls series is that one in the nightmare of mensis that is literally 2 seconds away on a flat plane. Just two lanterns in the same area right next to each other

Nightmare of Mensis/Mergo's loft has a lot of weird lantern choices. The Mergo's Loft Base lantern is at the bottom of a chain of elevators reaching to the top of the zone... but there's no reason to ever use this, because in order to unlock the second elevator in the chain, you have to unlock the next bonfire, so you just start there forever.

But it's not completely pointless. There are items and design decisions in these games that I am convinced are there to cater to "No Bonfires" playthroughs. In such a run, the later bonfires don't make the shortcuts redundant. Ditto for the special blood vials. These are basically a useless gimmick UNLESS YOU ARE DOING NO-DEATH/NO LANTERN runs. Then you can't buy bloodvials.

• Locked thread