Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004
Silva knocked Okami out with a kick from the guard. I will say this to my dying day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some funny/notable stories of fighters missing weight? I just read about Shark Fights 17, where Karl Knothe missed weight by 24 pounds as nobody told him his fight with Ricco Rodriguez was signed at a 230 catchweight instead of the 265 he trained for. He was disqualified. Is there a better story out there?

In some B-league promotion I think Huggy Bear once signed to fight a guy at heavyweight but he didn't even try to get down and came in at like 315lbs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Kinda a lame question but I just remembered someone in the last game day thread confused that someone with no record or something was given the blue corner. So...do corners 'matter'? I genuinely always figured it was a random thing, is there a 'meaning' behind who gets what?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Kinda a lame question but I just remembered someone in the last game day thread confused that someone with no record or something was given the blue corner. So...do corners 'matter'? I genuinely always figured it was a random thing, is there a 'meaning' behind who gets what?

Corners don't matter in the slightest. As far as order goes, the champion is supposed to walk out first, and some people get really shirty about that, but it doesn't matter in the slightest, either.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That's an interesting question.

I thought it was something like "The champ comes out second" or "the bigger name" in a non title fight, so he then gets the (red?) corner, so people could be confused why some no name guy fighting someone came out second and got the other corner?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Corners don't matter in the slightest. As far as order goes, the champion is supposed to walk out first, and some people get really shirty about that, but it doesn't matter in the slightest, either.

Has a champion actually walked out first before? Old days or something?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

Has a champion actually walked out first before? Old days or something?

When it's champ vs interim champ sometimes its the champ first and sometimes the interim, mostly down to who the UFC likes better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Interesting, thanks!

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

When it's champ vs interim champ sometimes its the champ first and sometimes the interim, mostly down to who the UFC likes better.

Not so sure about this. I can't remember the last time an interim champ came out after the actual champ and that includes the UFC's favorite son, Conor McGregor.

I'm not sure if "the champ comes out before the challenger" is an old school thing but I don't recall it ever happening, at least not in my time watching in the past five years or so.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

fatherdog posted:

Doesn't the champ almost always come out last?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

The champ is always in the red corner so walks out and is introduced second, I can't think of a single time its been different

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

The champ is always in the red corner so walks out and is introduced second, I can't think of a single time its been different

Yeah, challenger always has blue wraps.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

LordPants posted:

What happened to the triangle from the bottom? Are people just clued in enough that they don't let that happen any more?

As pointed out they still happen and there's also less time spent in guard due to quicker stand-ups, but mainly they're just way less common now due to everyone being at least somewhat trained in BJJ (so yes to your second question).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

LordPants posted:

This question is based upon my observation and because I don't watch hours and hours of MMA I may be completely wrong, but:

What happened to the triangle from the bottom? Are people just clued in enough that they don't let that happen any more?

If my premise is wrong and it is "it was never used much, you're missremembering" I apologise.

Triangles used to be more common, but not to a huge degree.

Here are some charts that break down subs by year, from 2013.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/Most-common-subs-in-UFC-history-graphically-displayed-440869

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Kekekela posted:

As pointed out they still happen and there's also less time spent in guard due to quicker stand-ups, but mainly they're just way less common now due to everyone being at least somewhat trained in BJJ (so yes to your second question).

I don't think stand ups have gotten quicker I think people have just gotten much better at getting back to their feet

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dangersim posted:

I don't think stand ups have gotten quicker I think people have just gotten much better at getting back to their feet

I agree they're way better at getting back to their feet. I thought stand-ups were quicker also but I'm probably just selectively remembering lovely stand-ups.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We were discussing works and shoot fighting in the UFC thread, and I wondered if anyone had links to videos where a work turned into a shoot and it actually became a real fight in a pro wrestling org. Like is there a video of the hulkster actually throwing down with someone, or is that something that happens more at minor league type stuff?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

I'm sure I first saw this here so thank you whomever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Sphinxster posted:

I've seen this once before forever ago. Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Sphinxster posted:

:staredog:

Nice.

quote:

On December 8, 1977, he lost a notorious match against Antonio Inoki.[4] The match took a turn for the worse when Barichievich inexplicably began to no-sell Inoki's attacks and then attack Inoki, causing Inoki to shoot on Barichievich, legitimately palm striking, kicking, then finally stomping him into a bloody mess.

I also remember seeing footage of some scrub MMA guy trying to kimura Kurt Angle during a WWE event and Angle keeping up kayfabe and powering through it. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_12qn29WKA

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Angle was real lucky that the ref had the presence of mind to do the 3 count right there, that kimura would've been real bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

Angle was real lucky that the ref had the presence of mind to do the 3 count right there, that kimura would've been real bad.

Puder would have broken his arm for sure. Angle was hosed and got saved.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Speaking of Kimura, here's the armlock's namesake on the wrong side of a shoot incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwqmU2eV6M

The Sphinxster posted:

Inoki, butt-scoot antics and insane promotional decisions aside, was legit as hell. The way he decided to shoot was so effective and brutal, not to mention completely outside his actual pro wrestling style.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did the Steiners ever shoot on anybody? I know they worked stiff against jobbers, especially Scott, and I can imagine either one of them deciding to double leg some jabroni and then beating them senseless.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There was an incident with someone fighting back against Rick at a Florida indy in 2005, but that didn't escalate too badly. Otherwise people generally took their lumps in silence.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I thought this was the combat sports thread. Can someone explain what a shoot and work is?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
UFC thread had the answers

fatherdog posted:

"Shoot" and "work" are prowrestling terms. A "work" or "worked match" is a predetermined pro-wrestling match. A "shoot" is a real fight. To "shoot" on someone means to break script and go after them in a worked match/situation.

Pancrase as an organization started out as a branchoff of a stiff-styled prowrestling organization, with the concept of doing "shoot fighting". It's generally thought that the early cards were mostly stiff works, with one or two shoots per show, and eventually as MMA became a popular sport in it's own right in Japan it transitioned to being just another mma org.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I believe it was akira maeda fighting Andre the giant. Andre was drunk as gently caress like usual, so maeda just starts low kicking him until he leaves.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I thought this was the combat sports thread. Can someone explain what a shoot and work is?

I just figured it was the best place to ask because I didn't readily see a rassling q&a thread and I wanted to see people actually fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Last year in Japanese women's wrestling organization World Wonder Stardom, YOSHIKO took on Act Yasukawa. Apparently they'd had some issues in the past and potentially YOSHIKO didn't want to drop the title to Act, but whatever the case, YOSHIKO instantly turns things into a shoot and starts punching the gently caress out of Act. Act, who already had some health issues, including limited sight in one eye, was left with a broken orbital, nose and cheekbone, ultimately forcing her retirement. YOSHIKO was indefinitely suspended and then released. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worked again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXq5clKi7o

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Last year in Japanese women's wrestling organization World Wonder Stardom, YOSHIKO took on Act Yasukawa. Apparently they'd had some issues in the past and potentially YOSHIKO didn't want to drop the title to Act, but whatever the case, YOSHIKO instantly turns things into a shoot and starts punching the gently caress out of Act. Act, who already had some health issues, including limited sight in one eye, was left with a broken orbital, nose and cheekbone, ultimately forcing her retirement. YOSHIKO was indefinitely suspended and then released. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worked again

:staredog: at the vid
:staredog: at your knowledge of Japanese women's pro wrestling.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

jesus christ

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That YOSHIKO lady seems like a real piece of poo poo.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

Jesus christ, I thought it was over after the first time they dragged her lifeless body back to the corner.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently she fought in something called SEAdLINNNG in March. I didn't know that there was enough demand to support multiple competing promotions. I doubt I've watched women pro-wrestling since GLOW.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Brain Curry posted:

Apparently she fought in something called SEAdLINNNG in March. I didn't know that there was enough demand to support multiple competing promotions. I doubt I've watched women pro-wrestling since GLOW.
It's Japan. The worse things get, the more promotions there are.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm an mma fan who has been watching some boxing lately. There seem to be a few boxers on insane win streaks--I think GGG, chocaltito and Mayweather all have 20+ wins and I could be unaware of some others. How come boxing has win streaks like this as opposed to mma where any double digit win streak is insane? Not really expecting a definitive answer but wouldn't mind people in the know articulating on it a little bit

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 27, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sharzak posted:

I'm an mma fan who has been watching some boxing lately. There seem to be a few boxers on insane win streaks--I think GGG, chocaltito and Mayweather all have 20+ wins and I could be unaware of some others. How come boxing has win streaks like this as opposed to mma where any double digit win streak is insane? Not really expecting a definitive answer but wouldn't mind people in the know articulating on it a little bit

the UFC makes a decent effort at matching up their best guys against each other to produce meaningful fights. big name boxers, by and large, get to pick their fights and will duck legitimate contenders until they've deteriorated enough to be beatable. basically boxers are way less concerned with how legitimate their sport looks.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sharzak posted:

Not a regular/longtime boxing fan, but as I understand it, part of it has to do with it's more common to see fighters cherry-pick their opponents since fighters and their managers have a lot more say in setting up bout agreements in boxing than they do in MMA. Mayweather in particular gets a lot of flack in certain circles for taking a lot of fights against fighters in certain sweet spots of their career where they were getting attention as prospects but were still green and untested or they had a name and legacy but were clearly over the hill. It's kind of the same deal with why anytime Fedor comes up, it starts an argument over whether his big long win streak actually meant anything since it had a lot of Japanese cans in it.

Another part of it is obviously there are a lot more ways you can gently caress up and lose in MMA than in boxing. In high level boxing you have to be really good at several facets of one discipline, but in high level MMA you have to be at least competent at several facets of several disciplines, so a guy who is just mediocre everywhere might catch a win over someone who's an absolute phenom at striking but has poor takedown defense and only marginally competent submission defense, so it creates a wider range of that "anything can happen" range. In boxing you still have those stylistic matchups but it tends to be a lot more granular like "he's really good at using the philly shell but his footwork could be better," which I would imagine creates a much smaller window of error for an opponent to take advantage of than "this is our golden twink Sage Northcutt, his striking is good but he doesn't know what a takedown is."

(Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, feel free to tell me to shut up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Sharzak posted:

Records get padded out heavily for promotional reasons. As to how and when it got to that point I don't know, but it's been the case for a long time now. To start with there's the fact that most prospects fight tons of amateur fights before they turn pro (which they might lose in) that doesn't go on their record. Most MMA fighters leap to pro fights very quickly regardless if they take place on a gambling boat in front of 20 people or not. Even after prospects have shown they are capable enough to be a top talent they still get fed a ton of cans when they turn pro and also during their peak in between actual challenging fights. It's just the nature of the business. People have become so conditioned into thinking 30-6 looks like a poo poo record in boxing that boxers and their promotional teams really pad them out. Most boxers don't actually start taking challenging fights until they've become a name/draw and are secure in taking a loss. They get to choose their own fights, they aren't matched up with someone at their skill level instantly by a central organization like the UFC. To aid in the padding of records and promotion it's worth noting that boxing is ridiculously corrupt to it's core. Judges and refs frequently favor prospects regardless of in ring action and this trickles down to the lowest levels. I watched a prospect fight a journeyman kid from philly in atlantic city about a month ago and I'm not kidding you when I say the dude from Philly won all but maybe one round and then lost on the cards as the entire arena booed. I don't even remember if this was a televised event or not. One of the things you can be glad about while watching the UFC is knowing that the bad decisions happen just because of sheer incompetence on behalf of the judges based on the number of times poo poo judging has derailed the UFCs business interests. A few of the many advantages the UFC has over boxing when it comes to promotion are that they are their own massive promotional machine, they can force the best to fight the best, and that the fans understand a 15-9 record doesn't mean someone is poo poo.

There's a lot more to this and I'm not an expert/rambling but you get the point. Boxing is a clusterfuck with the ABC belts, opponent dodging, can crushing, etc. and it's a shame the sport is where it is because great boxing matches that are fairly reffed and judged between top talents might be my favorite thing to watch in combat sports. They just rarely happen.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 27, 2016