Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

megane posted:

a +2 shortsword (cursed at Z+1.2*)

* ±0.4, for p=0.05

brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm fifteen hours in to a roguelike playthrough of Pokemon Gold.
-No blacking out
-No Pokecentre heals
-No putting pokemon in the computer (stuck to 6 max)
-randomized pokemon types and trainer pokemon and move strengths

Its flipping intense. Its like a puzzle game. Money is so valuable - do I want to buy a pokeball or two antidotes?

I just got my fourth badge and my pokemon are getting pretty crusty so I'm training a new generation. which takes times and PP.
Anyway, I highly recommend trying a no pokecentre run. It turns the pokemon games into quite cerebral activities.

I've tried gen 1 a few times but can't get passed nugget bridge which is the first 'boss' of a no heal run. Some guy on youtube has managed to do it though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

megane posted:

a +2 shortsword (cursed at Z+1.2*)

* ±0.4, for p=0.05

Nice!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

superh posted:

Daaamn dudes. :3: I don't pitch it much on here but I'm the lead dev on Deathstate.

We're still listening to feedback and trying to improve balance and gameplay. Just pushed a new patch yesterday!

If anyone's gonna be in Boston, we'll be at PAX East this week. Come to the booth and we can awkwardly mumble about stairs to each other.

I wish I could be there to meet y'all. But I ain't nothin' but a poor. So have fun!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

deathstate describes itself as a single stick shooter. what does that mean? you move and bullets auto aim when you push a fire button?

You move, it automatically targets the nearest enemy and autofires.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lampsacus posted:

I'm fifteen hours in to a roguelike playthrough of Pokemon Gold.
-No blacking out
-No Pokecentre heals
-No putting pokemon in the computer (stuck to 6 max)
-randomized pokemon types and trainer pokemon and move strengths

Its flipping intense.
Man. I can barely manage regular Nuzlockes, much less "no Centers, Pokerandomizer, Final Destination".

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Non-random teleportation is a scroll, because you have to indicate your destination. Drinking a potion is too imprecise with that kinda timing or telepathic user interface.

Typically the differentiation is that you need some level of caster training to read scrolls, while anyone can drink or throw a potion. Scrolls are sometimes easier to duplicate, or sometimes potions are effects not otherwise attainable by casting.

Potions can be also have ingestion or internal mixing caveats, or can be identified without consuming entirely (and without arcane knowledge)

On a related note, I spent a good chunk of my Birthday afternoon playing Dmans. Fantastic game! Straightforward challenging tactical monster mashing with minimal bullshit lethality.
Level 6 without a death so far, with Mad Thirsty and Tireless traits. Mad Thirsty gives you a free potion quaff per 'round', but I can't tell when it refreshes. The combat log usually says something like 'you can drink one more' after the first free use, which I think is just a confirmation it worked(or maybe it alternates during the fight?). I've tried waiting multiple attacks and still get smacked on the second potion of the fight - haven't tested beyond that yet though.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 24, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why are there so many goddamn roguelikes that don't let you change your controls(that aren't even old).

I don't want to play turn-based QWOP

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 25, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Berlin-defined Roguelikes are kind of a unique genre for me in that I won't play them at all if the controls don't immediately work for me. You better come with HJKLYUBN as a preset or be nigh-unmissable with the ability to remap. Mouse-driven need not apply. (Yes, I play on a laptop with no numpad.)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

On a related note, I spent a good chunk of my Birthday afternoon playing Dmans. Fantastic game! Straightforward challenging tactical monster mashing with minimal bullshit lethality.
Level 6 without a death so far, with Mad Thirsty and Tireless traits. Mad Thirsty gives you a free potion quaff per 'round', but I can't tell when it refreshes. The combat log usually says something like 'you can drink one more' after the first free use, which I think is just a confirmation it worked(or maybe it alternates during the fight?). I've tried waiting multiple attacks and still get smacked on the second potion of the fight - haven't tested beyond that yet though.

A round is one instance of everyone spending all their action points. You take a turn, the monsters take their turn, round's over. Normally on your turn drinking a potion takes up your action. With Mad Thirsty, the first one does not, so when you drink your second potion you use up your action and the turn ends. That's why you're getting attacked after a second drink in one turn.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

madjackmcmad posted:

A round is one instance of everyone spending all their action points. You take a turn, the monsters take their turn, round's over. Normally on your turn drinking a potion takes up your action. With Mad Thirsty, the first one does not, so when you drink your second potion you use up your action and the turn ends. That's why you're getting attacked after a second drink in one turn.

Sorry, was unclear, I would drink and then attack* and then drink again and get slapped for the second drink(after at least one other action). I'll see if I can get a more precise description in a bit, wanted to make sure there was no ambiguity on what a round is.

*I also tried a move and attack between drinks at least once, but still got hit after the second drink

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 25, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Sorry, was unclear, I would drink and then attack* and then drink again and get slapped for the second drink(after at least one other action). I'll see if I can get a more precise description in a bit, wanted to make sure there was no ambiguity on what a round is.

*I also tried a move and attack between drinks at least once, but still got hit after the second drink

Oh cool, you might have found a bug! Thank you.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

IronicDongz posted:

I don't want to play turn-based QWOP

this would actually be loving amazing tho

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

quote:

You increase the production of your adrenaline gland!
Your musculoskeletal system experiences a surge of energy!
Your respiratory system experiences a surge of energy!
Your cardiovascular system experiences a surge of energy!
Your lower right ventricle is confused!
You have developed mild arrhythmia!
Your lower right ventricle is still confused!
Your upper right ventricle is confused!
You have developed severe arrhythmia!
You have had a heart attack.
You have died...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Reminds me of a Chernobyl simulator I had on the Commodore 64 back in the day...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
speaking of dman bugs

doctorfrog posted:

Berlin-defined Roguelikes are kind of a unique genre for me in that I won't play them at all if the controls don't immediately work for me. You better come with HJKLYUBN as a preset or be nigh-unmissable with the ability to remap. Mouse-driven need not apply. (Yes, I play on a laptop with no numpad.)
See, I also play on a laptop with no numpad, but also as far as I'm concerned vi keys(or whatever you want to call them) are trash garbage

somewhere around the turn of the millenia human beings collectively decided that the position of your keys that move your character, should corrospond to the direction you want to move the character in, relative to each other... instead of nonsense like this. I would love it if RL's could unanimously join the rest of the gaming world in the context of sensible control schemes but as it is it's a pleasant surprise when a RL has controls that aren't insane

Luceid posted:

this would actually be loving amazing tho
this is true tbh

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Do the guys who made Lufia know you stole one of their villains for use as a player avatar?

(See e.g. this as an example of the original sprite)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Figure that's a user inserted one. I haven't seen it before.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah it's a player made pack. I use it because I don't like any of the default ones

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay then, false alarm. :downs: I do have to admit that it makes a pretty good player sprite.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

speaking of dman bugs

See, I also play on a laptop with no numpad, but also as far as I'm concerned vi keys(or whatever you want to call them) are trash garbage

somewhere around the turn of the millenia human beings collectively decided that the position of your keys that move your character, should corrospond to the direction you want to move the character in, relative to each other... instead of nonsense like this. I would love it if RL's could unanimously join the rest of the gaming world in the context of sensible control schemes but as it is it's a pleasant surprise when a RL has controls that aren't insane
this is true tbh

In your save folder c:\users\(you)\appdata\roaming\dungeonmans there's keybinds.txt. Go ham! There's no UI for this yet because I don't have time to make one, but it is better to have the feature than to not, right?

The VI keys are useless to me personally, but you're not a Real Roguelike TM without them.

IronicDongz posted:

yeah it's a player made pack. I use it because I don't like any of the default ones
That pack is one of the best. There's some great ones out there!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ah, I wasn't actually talking about dmans wrt:keybinds, I already changed my keys to what I want in it. :downs: Just happened to have a buggy screenshot to share in the same post, I was actually complaining about Incursion(well, and lots of other RLs in the past...)

reasons_to_not_vaguepost.txt

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 26, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

:siren: The Ironmans Content Update is live! :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&pagenumber=62#post459158124

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

madjackmcmad posted:

That pack is one of the best. There's some great ones out there!

Anyone got a link?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

Anyone got a link?

There's a thread with more on the Steam forums here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/288120/discussions/0/494632768634955348/

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

madjackmcmad posted:

:siren: The Ironmans Content Update is live! :siren:
madjackmcmad nods in Berlin's general direction

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Using the numpad to control a roguelike is okay but only if they have a smart control scheme with all the important buttons on the left side of the keyboard. If I have to move my right hand between the keyboard and the numpad constantly I'll be unhappy.

Qud is fine with the numpad because there aren't a billion random hotkeys for 'w'iping your face and poo poo like that. You move around, maybe you bind your laser vision to z and hit that. But IVAN's default control scheme is awful for this sort of thing. Every time you want to pick up some loot you have to move your right hand off the numpad to hit the comma key. (Thankfully there's an optional vi-keys mode.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also wrt dungeonmans:

This road tile clips into this building, I've seen this a couple times now.

Dunno if this is intentional, but I've spawned into these right next to the 'boss' several times now.

This spell effect this boss monster was always visible so I could see where it was even when it was out of line of sight.

Also it one-shot me, but that's already fixed. :cheeky:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Started playing Dmans again after a little time away, and was really enjoying getting back into the swing of things, but 2 of my last 3 characters have been 2-shot without much warning. I think at least 1 was preventable (probably both), and so the onus is on me for those deaths, but it was such a shock/unexpected jump in damage intake that it left a sour taste in my mouth.

First time, I opened a secret, and a champ was there. I was on a sword and board fightermans, and so I closed ranks only to be hit, and then hit again on my next after chugging a pot to dead. Made me sad, but it was my own fault for not looking closer at the enemy.

Next one though really bothered me. Level 9 Bannermans (king of battle) with really good armour and weapons. Champ enemy gets the drop on me and takes me down 1/4 of my health in one round. Being more cautious, I combat blink to the furthest possible tile which only actually left a 1 space gap (due to terrain), but I figured he'd be able to at worst hit me for 1/2 my hp and I could then safely blink further away. Instead he closes and hits me twice for 250 damage and I'm dead. I was actually shocked and then annoyed. Again, there was probably something I missed or something I could have done, but it was just so unexpected and random that it left me without much desire to start again.

Don't get me wrong, Dungeonmans is awesome, and I've put a lot of enjoyable time into the game and definitely recommend it, but I think I'm gonna have to put it down for a bit because dying like that left me feeling pretty sore.

Mind you this is just before the recent patch, so not sure if that would have changed things

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Very likely yes, one of the explicit changes in this patch was damage output on higher level enemies and bosses

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, what kind of champion killed your King of Battle? If it was a cultist reaver (purple guy with a mace and shield), yeah, those guys are gigantic assholes and were probably among the hardest-hit by the nerf in the recent patch (with good reason). Their champions are still hell post-patch though, just not as given to killing you in two or three turns.

Ancient Kings (glowing purple outline) are fantastically goddamn dangerous and should always be approached with extreme caution. Stay out of melee with close combat-oriented AKs if you can. I know a sword and board mans can't really do that very easily, but it's still worth remembering.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 26, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just lost my best character, a lvl 9 King of Battle, I entered into a monster party portal, biggest mistake ever.

Edit: Wanted to post this on the Dungeonmans thread, not totally wrong thread at least.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Back from PAX. What a blast!! Did I meet any of you there??

dis astranagant posted:

I thought I was having a good Deathstate run then it dumps 4 projectile spamming minibosses on me at once.

You've got to be careful with those big chests (and Forges!)

SpruceZeus posted:

I once opened a large chest only for one of the prizes to be a resurrection potion, which caused me to immediately die when all of the poo poo I'd just killed to claim my prize suddenly came back to life.

I couldn't even be mad about that one. I just sat there and laughed for a little while.

Hahaha, you've also got to be careful about this!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

the grave of time can seriously heck itself directly to gently caress though

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, what kind of champion killed your King of Battle? If it was a cultist reaver (purple guy with a mace and shield), yeah, those guys are gigantic assholes and were probably among the hardest-hit by the nerf in the recent patch (with good reason). Their champions are still hell post-patch though, just not as given to killing you in two or three turns.

Ancient Kings (glowing purple outline) are fantastically goddamn dangerous and should always be approached with extreme caution. Stay out of melee with close combat-oriented AKs if you can. I know a sword and board mans can't really do that very easily, but it's still worth remembering.

It was actually one of the champion orcs with 2 swords - not sure what the actual name is (Destroyer?) - Reading the patch notes, he must have been level 10 and still had the buff. Darn, 10% less damage and my dude would still be alive.

Oh well, I'm over it now... back into the fray!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah those orcs are real nasty when they get upgraded to champions. :(

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Since I'm working on a roguelike and it's coming together more and more it's time to talk more about what I'm doing. Woo! The idea is to make a tactical roguelike. Squad-based but also having a space ship. The inspiration also comes from stuff like Starflight, Star Control, and such. It also draws from X-COM, I think. The basic idea is that it's after an empire crumbled and its infrastructure collapsed. The empire had built trade gates in space; they were basically big wormhole machines. You could travel instantly between a pair of them. The problem was the infrastructure falling apart took the gates with it.

The newly forming empire figured out how to turn one of them back on but only briefly. The game is playing the crew that goes through. You're tasked with exploring the area, seeing who is still living there, and who is willing to come back into the empire. Part of it will be picking through the ruins of civilization; other parts involve fighting off pirates and...well...let's just say leftovers. See, the old empire had an infinite energy source that eventually turned off. Some of their experiments, well, survived.

You can also dig up old technology which can do ridiculous things, assuming you can find way to power it. Really the central mechanic is power management. You can synthesize food for the crew but it's expensive and comes from the same pool you use to get from place to place as well as defend yourself. The gate only managed to send a small ship and four crew through with minimal equipment. You'll have to gear yourself up to complete the mission but the problem is...that attracts attention. Attention you might not want.

The galaxy and all the local sites are procedurally generated. There's like 500 star systems right now and they have lots of things orbiting them. I have to put in stuff like trading with inhabited planets and what have you yet but it's coming together bit by bit; some planets are hazardous and some more or less useless. They can be scanned down but there's always the possibility that something will go horribly wrong. So you found a good mining site? Well, what happens if something nasty is living in it?

So what I have to ask now is what sorts of things you fine folks think should be in that kind of game. Planned features already include customizing/replacing the ship, recruiting new crew in the sector, and of course permanent death for dead crew members.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

spaaaaaaaace
Yes!

Yesssss!

This is great!

No doubt this thread will feature creep you to death if you ask for it. I suggest you allow your PCs to harvest the bodies of defeated space pirates and bolt them to the outside of your ship to prove how cool and tough and strong you are.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Space Truck Nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Colonize every planet with an instance of Dwarf Fortress, but it's 'robots' instead of dorfs