Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

voltcatfish posted:

There's a bit where Annie is infected by some sort of incurable disease that already wiped out a town completely, and Anikamal(?) refuses to treat her for that, and because she's human. I was just wondering how the party manages to cure her, and if they ever elaborate on what the origin/cause of the disease was

It's like a tiny b subplot in a tales game so I'm not sure why I care so much

Making the medicine is that whole bit. It's where you first meet Franz, the old adventurer man, and he directs you to where to find the Rhybgaro and get its horn to make the cure with. That's pretty much Anikamal - Annie gets sick, you go get the horn, Franz makes the medicine, and the villagers learn a lesson about trust and compassion.

The disease is just a disease. It isn't important to the greater plot, it's just the basis for Anikamal's episode and history.

Also Anikamal is, weirdly, not the gajuma-only one. That's the other desert town. Anikamal is the one that hates outsiders, generally. (The gajuma try to kick the huma out later, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ah alright, thanks for the info man

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just beat the prologue in Graces and I have to say that Asbel wasn't even close to being as bad or stupid as I've heard. He's no Lloyd, that's for sure.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Renoistic posted:

I just beat the prologue in Graces and I have to say that Asbel wasn't even close to being as bad or stupid as I've heard. He's no Lloyd, that's for sure.

Most of that comes later, after Richard becomes evil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It gets worse in the adult chapters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

He's not nearly as dumb in the epilogue chapter either.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I shouldn't be surprised, I guess...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

To put it in other words, Vesperia falls apart in the third act whilst Graces starts to fall apart at the end of the first and the beginning of the second act (post time skip). Also of note we finally manage to get a dad who could be argued as being almost as bad as Luke's dad which is saying something.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I actually liked Kid Asbel as a main hero boy. I wish he'd stayed like that. (Alternately I wish the story had been about him trying and possibly failing to run his dukedom.)

Hunt11 posted:

To put it in other words, Vesperia falls apart in the third act whilst Graces starts to fall apart at the end of the first and the beginning of the second act (post time skip). Also of note we finally manage to get a dad who could be argued as being almost as bad as Luke's dad which is saying something.

Agreed, I would not have Asbel as a dad.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

I actually liked Kid Asbel as a main hero boy. I wish he'd stayed like that. (Alternately I wish the story had been about him trying and possibly failing to run his dukedom.)

Agreed, I would not have Asbel as a dad.

I am talking about Asbel's dad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hunt11 posted:

I am talking about Asbel's dad.

I stand by every word.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You'd have a weird moon cyborg as an aunt though

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blhue posted:

You'd have a weird moon cyborg as an aunt though

Technically everyone else is from the moon.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm fairly sure I'd actually have a weird moon cyborg as a sister.

Also I think this is a spoiler?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 27, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

I stand by every word.

I feel as though there would be enough sane men around to help keep Asbel from doing anything really stupid. More importantly though, the one source of blindness he has Richard would be helping him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I actually like Asbel the way he is as an adult, mostly to spite everyone who kept telling him to grow up as a kid. I really enjoyed that sense of "No! Not like that!" that they all feel. In a Schadenfreude way.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
When you think about it, Asbel growing up to continue being an obnoxious idealist is the ultimate "no, gently caress YOU, dad".

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My problem isn't the idealism. I respect that in a super-anime hero. It's the seriousness; Graces is a funny game but Asbel never plays ball. Even Cheria plays the straight man on occasion. I honestly expect Velvet to be a less serious protagonist even though she herself is angry, because I think she'll actually respond to getting needled.

Rokurou and Eizen are also due for idiosyncracies, because right now they feel like different flavors of a cool tough guy with his poo poo together and something to have a dramatic subplot about. Even something on the level of "Dezel nerds about wildlife" would be nice. I guess (hope) that we'll find out when the game comes out.

Unrelated:

I really want to stay mad at this bullshit timing challenge in the final stage of Rebirth, but I can't, because it's about freezing fireballs into ice cubes so you can stack them up in lava and then use them as platforms.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They're generally pretty good about not making their characters boring stoic lamers, so I'm not really worried. Dezel was close, but there was an obvious reason for that (he has zero time to joke around) and even started to warm up to the party near the end. Unless they want to kill off Eizen in a similar way, which they sure as hell better not, I can see him being the group dad or something.

Also, all the boringness in Graces' characters got sucked up into Asbel and Cheria, so the rest were good. We must honor their great sacrifice to the skit gods.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Part of the problem I have with Asbel is that when he does engage in silly behavior, it's only his brand of "I'm an oblivious hero!" humor. Everyone reacts to his jokes, but he reacts to no one's jokes. At least Cheria gives as well as she takes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly Asbel only bothers me in the final dungeon of Graces.

Yes Asbel, you getting kicked out of your hometown is exactly the same as Lambda losing his only friend and being stranded on a hostile planet and being hunted down by a cyborg girl whose only purpose is to destroy you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly Asbel only bothers me in the final dungeon of Graces.

Yes Asbel, you getting kicked out of your hometown is exactly the same as Lambda losing his only friend and being stranded on a hostile planet and being hunted down by a cyborg girl whose only purpose is to destroy you.

Yeah, I was expecting that to be a moment where Asbel passes the mic over to everyone else - Asbel's problems are bad but not that huge, but Malik and Sophie have seen some poo poo and the others have issues too, so all together it would have been a good moment.

But nope, Asbel just keeps talking about his own problems.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think he was talking about losing all his friends as a kid because of his stupid mistake, and then coming back to see they all hate him, not really the part about losing Lhant. Still doesn't really hold a candle to Lambda though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Coughing Hobo posted:

Part of the problem I have with Asbel is that when he does engage in silly behavior, it's only his brand of "I'm an oblivious hero!" humor. Everyone reacts to his jokes, but he reacts to no one's jokes. At least Cheria gives as well as she takes.

This is also really true and it negatively impacts Pascal as well, because that period after she joins when she's really obnoxious is in part because Asbel and Richard are all the way up the plot's rear end in a top hat together and she can practically only interact with Sophie. I think she gets better almost as soon as you lose Richard and get Cheria and Malik.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Here's news: there's a couple more minutes from that tour thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vylSOFDvBXw

It cuts to where the previous video was about halfway through, so if you can't read, the most interesting thing to you will probably be footage of the city of Lohgress about 30 seconds in. Which is some pretty good footage, don't get me wrong, but let's talk about a couple of other interesting things, also.

The title of the boat menu is, as far as I can make out, "Other Sea Investigation". Maybe it's some kind of floating bonus generator, like Kitty Dispatch or Support Talents.

Here is an items screen. They are the same basic item tiers as in Zestiria (the weapon/sub-equip types are different, obviously) and probably the same stats. The Feld Boots have a Master Skill and two Enhancement Bonuses (they are blue). The skills have categories denoted by the colored icons (Attack/Defense/Life?) but they seem to just be descriptive.

Note that there's also a monster parts item category and some kind of diamond (materials?), that might be how enhancing items and unlocking/adding skills works.

This Fluor Blade also has one "Random Skill" on top of the above. Probably the categories are not any kind of table system. We might pretty much be back to Destiny 2 with some sort of crafting.

General speculation: apart from all of the above, there are two skills of type "+30% to ______ (attack, arcane attack, etc.) buff below X HP" and two "attack gets extra properties while also ______ buffed". Laphicet is also known to have attack spells with a "steal ______ buff type" property. So they are at least pursuing the Zestiria "various buffing/debuffing properties on artes" mechanic. Maybe Berseria will have the same kind of heal spells as Zestiria, too.

There are also weird-tier items, you can see a Snakebite blade. I feel like that was a dagger in Zestiria but I might be remembering wrong. Anyway if there is no skill table, those should be actually functional in Berseria.

Anything else curious or that I missed or whatever, post it.

e: I did miss something. The save list has two files, marked at about 53 hours (it's been reported that the main story of Berseria "takes about 50 hours"), at "Mt. Killaraus Volcano." Cool place for the final dungeon to be.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 28, 2016

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Momomo posted:

I think he was talking about losing all his friends as a kid because of his stupid mistake, and then coming back to see they all hate him, not really the part about losing Lhant. Still doesn't really hold a candle to Lambda though.

Huh, you don't say 'lose all your friends because of a stupid mistake' when he flat out betrayed and abandoned them gleefully in order to become a knight in bloody armour. I half-expect that the staff was aware of how Asbel was basically the villain of Graces, and how more or less this was why he could relate to Lambda: both were selfish and into their delusions, but their delusions meshed well together.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

One was dead and another was essentially shipped off to another family, never to see them again. The only person he left willingly was Cheria.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I find it amusing and sad Asbel couldn't possibly imagine why she'd be pissed at him by the time he comes back

Also didn't he abandon a girl with a potentially fatal heart condition at that?

I don't remember if it was established if it was cured or not that early

Why am I spoil tagging graces when there are untagged spoilers for the latest tales release on the same page I do not know

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The game also spends the first third of the adult section rubbing it in Asbel's face that what he did was wrong, too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

"A close/mid-range character who fights with a long-reaching spear and can attack at mid-range with spells."

Oh my god, you guys, I might main Eleanor.

(Remember when there were rumors that Alisha would get spells?)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've played Graces until you meet with Hubert for the first time after the prologue and the story had just been a huge bummer so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

I've played Graces until you meet with Hubert for the first time after the prologue and the story had just been a huge bummer so far.
once you get past malik's backstory it basically just becomes a plotless comedy routine

EDIT: Also it could easily be a more serious version of Kitty Dispatch. You recruit crew members, you delegate them to various tasks, you get a reward after a bit of time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's what I figure, I'm always on board for more pirate stuff.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I had a thought.

If Eleanor is a spell hybrid like Eizen, they're probably both base artes and spells.

Laphicet is arcane artes and spells, it seems very fair to assume Magilou is the same.

Velvet and Rokurou have base and arcane styles.

That feels like a suspiciously clean balance of arte types, and I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Caphi posted:

That feels like a suspiciously clean balance of arte types, and I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means.

:vomarine:

Maybe they won't have caster mob packs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they could just make casters not insta-gib you

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Or at least make it so that arcane artes don't give casters ABSURD amounts of invincibility/super armor.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I probably should have put it as "I hope it isn't what I'm afraid it might be." It might not be that at all. It might just be something cute they're doing to differentiate the party roles. Or maybe (increasingly desperate bargaining) they were going to reuse the triangle at some phase of design but have since thought better of it?

It's actually kind of theoretically interesting if you remove the Armatus stat shenanigans from the picture. Eizen and Eleanor become point for mage-slaying, and Eleanor in particular would be the answer to caster formations since her wide spear artes are presumably all Base (and they'll both be able to chaincast like crazy). Also, making the PC casters' basic attacks Arcane gives their "physical" attacks a specific niche. But the problem is still the AI, unless they fixed that...

Actually, I assumed that Laphicet and Magilou had Arcane Artes instead of Base simply so that their weapon artes are usable without them having to worry about P.Atk, which is actually quite an elegant way of handling that. I'm not sure how that applies to the hybrids since they have to have both P.Atk and S.Atk, which I assume is split across their main and sub equips but then they're losing out on a defense (unless you dump Focus) compared to what others have to work with (I think Laphicet's sub-equip is a pendant). Maybe Eleanor will be defense and Eizen will be M.def. Or vice versa. Or maybe there'll be weird equips for them that dump an attack stat to reclaim another, which switches up their style? There's some kind of cool design space there and I hope something fun comes out of it for someone.

Now that I think about it, if they were going to do this triangle, you'd think they'd have mentioned it sometime in the "Basics of Combat" timeframe. (I can no longer tell if this is genuine or forced hope.)

On an unrelated note, it would answer all of my element-related questions if Magilou was water/fire, Eizen was earth, Eleanor was wind, and Laphicet was all/Void. But if Eleanor is the wind caster, there's some wind malak she's using throughout the game, which raises some other questions...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Caphi posted:

"A close/mid-range character who fights with a long-reaching spear and can attack at mid-range with spells."

Oh my god, you guys, I might main Eleanor.

(Remember when there were rumors that Alisha would get spells?)

Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So I'm starting with Tales of Zestiria and Symphony on the PC from the steam sale. Any other recommendations playable on the PSV/PS2/3 I should follow up with? I can tolerate anime well.