Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm just here to say that I bought this game on speculation that it would be fun and I've just watched my $/hour of enjoyment crater in the 5 days or so since purchasing it. I've got about 15 hours into it and I've still only just barely touched vehicles, and haven't touched anything smart, circuits, robots, etc. Rail is my next task, but I might start a new world first because good god my main area is a mess. I cleaned it up a bit after learning about splitters and ways to separate belt lanes, but the research factory is an absolute poo poo show and there's no way I can add blue research production without tearing it all down anyway.

I've done this about five times now. Each time I get a bit further into the game, get a handle on a new mechanic... and then start again from scratch. Next up... robots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gravy Jones posted:

I've done this about five times now. Each time I get a bit further into the game, get a handle on a new mechanic... and then start again from scratch. Next up... robots!

Yeah, I think a lot of people have an issue where they'll restart because they want to start with prior knowledge/don't like their current base look/hit oil/walked away from the game for a bit/a distracting butterfly fluttered by.

Doesn't stop the game from being fun though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
In my first game when I got robots I just got rid of almost all the belts and production lines and just set up a bunch of assemblers with requester and provider chests. Probably not the best idea but I was able to launch a rocket anyway.

Now I'm using the 'main bus' system in my second game.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm just here to say that I bought this game on speculation that it would be fun and I've just watched my $/hour of enjoyment crater in the 5 days or so since purchasing it. I've got about 15 hours into it and I've still only just barely touched vehicles, and haven't touched anything smart, circuits, robots, etc. Rail is my next task, but I might start a new world first because good god my main area is a mess. I cleaned it up a bit after learning about splitters and ways to separate belt lanes, but the research factory is an absolute poo poo show and there's no way I can add blue research production without tearing it all down anyway.

While it might be tempting to restart what you can actually do is bleed off the Steel/Iron/Copper into a new area and start again there, but without having to do the slow starter set up. Leaving trash factories as monuments to your failure is fine, you can come back and destroy it all when you finally get to robots.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fans posted:

While it might be tempting to restart what you can actually do is bleed off the Steel/Iron/Copper into a new area and start again there, but without having to do the slow starter set up. Leaving trash factories as monuments to your failure is fine, you can come back and destroy it all when you finally get to robots.
Yeah, do this. Either split it off to the side or if you have somewhat of a bus just build off the end and when you get robots deconstruct everything and use the extra space for more smelters.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people have an issue where they'll restart because they want to start with prior knowledge/don't like their current base look/hit oil/walked away from the game for a bit/a distracting butterfly fluttered by.

Doesn't stop the game from being fun though.

Absolutely. Keeping the old infrastructure and starting a new factory is also a viable (and for a lot of people probably a prefereable) option, but I enjoy the initial start up phase so don't mind starting from scratch each time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vetitum posted:

Are there any decent mods out there that add bridges? I've started a new game with RSO and my starting location has a lot of large narrow lakes that I'd like to be able to bridge (there are maybe 3 to 4 tiles of water at their narrowest point), but I can't find anything decent on the forums.

There's a rail bridge mod, that's about all I've seen.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I recently added the rail tanker mod, the better fluid controls mod, the colored lights/concrete mod and it added just enough little extra. Now I have colored fill meters for all my resource stores (red orange and green lights in a row).

I recently added RSO to a save too. It wasn't too bad, some of my rail connected mine sites got regenerated without resources, so I cheated in a little bit to keep those mines open. But I'm looking forward to the need for more rails.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I tore down my copper smelters and relocated them to the north-east section of my base, bringing my copper up to ~80 smelters. (with ~19 more in a secondary foundry that I didn't move).

I have also discovered the joys of attack capsules. I now just pop some destoyers caps, drive by the hive cluster, throw some distractors in the middle, then just circle around until everything stops moving, topping up the swarm if needed. (I had played with capsules in previous versions, I used poison caps to remove forests in the way of my train tracks)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not that I would ever deprive anyone of the joy of poisoning forests, but if you're just clearing trees for railroads, I'd suggest using FARL. It'll kill trees as it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49wrtpotFRo

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I have a bunch of storage tanks lined up for various fluids but my pumps aren't really pumping all that fast. It seems like the tanks are filling up a bit but the pipes and pumps just aren't pushing the fluid out very fast.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It should be pretty hard to outstrip pumpless or pump-as-valve systems. You will hit walls in super factories and trans map pipelines though. The basic limitations:
A pump can only let 30 units/s through (aka tons of liquid for any sort of not-superfactory)
A pipe can take up to a 240 unit/s max with small pipe runs or silly parallel pump set ups.
Flow path is prioritized by pressure difference between source and destination. That basically means the chem plant/assembler with the lowest inventory and shortest pipe route gets it first.
Pumps can help provide artificially low inventory spots at its inlet so you can use them to try and prioritize certain plants over others. This is kind of poo poo and you mostly want to just saturate everything like you do with belts.

The most practical approach is that you will float a little inventory in storage tanks to provide the pressure to supply all your liquid users to the max per second, at which point it acts a bit like trying to back up belts to provide a constant even supply. If you have inordinately long pipe runs, or use pumps as valves and reach the threshold that one pump doesn't work, you start worrying about pumping station sperging

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Pumps before a tank suck the incoming pipes dry, and pumps after a tank send it down-stream, if you have a pump->tanks->pump system the tanks will only really start filling when the pipe system at the end fills up.

Also use pumps to separate the parts that require fluid from the pipe network that transport it. This will stop the transport pipes from slowly filling when the fluid is much better off being pooled where it used.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 25, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fans posted:

This is what I did with my iron/copper smelting. I could build a new factory on the other side and then just flip the output belt. Maybe I'll do that.

Also, I've researched almost everything that doesn't require blue, so I think that means I have trains and robots (also circuits) none of which I have used. I'm going to add a train to collect oil in one central location for processing, because right now I have two disparate factories and each ends up filling up tanks of one of the refinery outputs and halting everything.
Also, I think I need to flip things around on my main smelters. Right now they get coal/ore from the outside belts and dump output on the inside belt which I then split. I think it makes more sense to have four banks of furnaces with each pair having an ore/fuel feed and then an output belt per bank that get merged into a two-lane plate belt. I can then add either one more bank for steel or a pair of them.

E: part of wanting to restart is getting a slightly better starting area. There seems to be a biter hive or whatever fairly close by, and I don't have production up to build anything other than standard turrets. I probably just need a lot more turrets than I have now (3 clusters with 2-3 on one side and 1 cluster of 3 on there other). I do like the map, I guess. I started on an isthmus between two lakes so I have a narrow choke point on one side and much more open but still limited on the other. Probably not big enough for a mega factory without clearing a lot of forest.

carticket fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 25, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Trains are entirely optional for now unless you're using RSO (But fun!), I'd definitely recommend getting your personal roboport made up and kitted out with lil ro-butts though. It's a massive boost to your ability to build and take things apart.

Just select a forest for destruction and watch the feeding frenzy begin.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fans posted:

Trains are entirely optional for now unless you're using RSO (But fun!), I'd definitely recommend getting your personal roboport made up and kitted out with lil ro-butts though. It's a massive boost to your ability to build and take things apart.

Just select a forest for destruction and watch the feeding frenzy begin.

You posted this while I was editing. I guess this would be a solution to my forestland problem.

I don't have sulfur production yet, so AFAIK I can't make robots yet.

E: also part of the desire for trains is to get access to a larger area quickly. The area beyond my isthmus is also heavily forested, so cars are impractical.

carticket fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 25, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My life changed last map when I remembered I could couple 2 furnaces together to make steel out of iron ore and didn't need to worry about belt bandwidth of iron plate production coupled with what I needed for steel. That might be already apparent to you, but its hard to tell the way you talk about steel production in the same breath as iron.

Tanks are how you deal with traversing forest in stock.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

cars and tanks go faster if you drive them on a paved surface

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Nothing captures the very essence of factorio like using poison capsules to clear a dense forest. Yeah you could chop them down, or even run them over in a heavy vehicle, but it doesn't compare to using acid/poison grenades.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
it gets better in the next patch when you can use flamethrowers to do it by starting forest fires :getin:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
When do we reckon that's going to be, anyway?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Network Pesci posted:

When do we reckon that's going to be, anyway?

June 1st.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Nothing captures the very essence of factorio like using poison capsules to clear a dense forest. Yeah you could chop them down, or even run them over in a heavy vehicle, but it doesn't compare to using acid/poison grenades.

My preferred method is a car/tank constantly chucking grenades as it smashes through stragglers or mows em down with a machinegun.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Spaseman posted:

I have a bunch of storage tanks lined up for various fluids but my pumps aren't really pumping all that fast. It seems like the tanks are filling up a bit but the pipes and pumps just aren't pushing the fluid out very fast.

You can use multiple small pumps in parallel, or express pumps.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

President Ark posted:

it gets better in the next patch when you can use flamethrowers to do it by starting forest fires :getin:

The current flamethrower works but it's only 3 trees wide and it doesn't burn them fast enough to walk constantly. Waiting for 0.13 like everyone else but at least Stellaris comes out in a couple of weeks.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I did end up restarting. My research factory is much more compact and I made copious use of splitters and mixed lane belts. I need to find a mod with single square lane stops because using the underground belts for that works but takes up a lot of room.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's not necessarily that bad. There are many ways of splitting off one or both lanes from a belt.

Here's the result of spending a few minutes playing with layouts:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If all you want to do is take a mixed lane belt and after a certain point allow only one of those items to continue down the belt, use a smart inserter.

e.g
code:
====|>====

Where |> is the smart inserter with its filter set to whichever item you want to pass to the rest of the belt.

Phone posting so I don't have any pictures.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Solumin posted:

If all you want to do is take a mixed lane belt and after a certain point allow only one of those items to continue down the belt, use a smart inserter.

e.g
code:
====|>====
Where |> is the smart inserter with its filter set to whichever item you want to pass to the rest of the belt.

Phone posting so I don't have any pictures.

Smart inserters aren't capable of 40 items per second.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is true. I was mostly thinking of slow local belts between assemblers in a factory.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Gibbo posted:

Smart inserters aren't capable of 40 items per second.

Just means you need to use more of 'em!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have the problem solved in the layout, I'm just not happy with the amount of room needed to stop the flow of one lane. There are some mods that basically take the lane splitting/blocking tricks with underground belts and turn them into devices that are 1x2. It seems they're all outdated, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GenericOverusedName posted:

Just means you need to use more of 'em!
Well, yeah, but its also more resource, space, and time-spent-plopping intensive than the underground belt trick when the original complaint is that the underground belt trick already is already a little fatter than they'd like.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mr. Powers posted:

I have the problem solved in the layout, I'm just not happy with the amount of room needed to stop the flow of one lane. There are some mods that basically take the lane splitting/blocking tricks with underground belts and turn them into devices that are 1x2. It seems they're all outdated, though.

I made a splitter that separated incoming lanes to different belts but it was broken by the 0.12 update's conveyor optimisations (it worked by physically blocking movement of unwanted lanes but items on belts aren't physically simulated any more).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GotLag posted:

I made a splitter that separated incoming lanes to different belts but it was broken by the 0.12 update's conveyor optimisations (it worked by physically blocking movement of unwanted lanes but items on belts aren't physically simulated any more).

That probably explains why all the similar mods are stuck on 0.12

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
As much as it's the trains that has me holding off on building more until .13, I just noticed this on their dev blog:

Underground pipes and belts can also be built the same way as poles in 0.13:

This and rails combined is going to make me rack up another 100 hours+, easy. Quality of life upgrades like this will really help eliminate the few aspects of the game that are actually tedious.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh thank goodness. No longer have to wait for a personal roboport to go full out oil pumping.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, I restarted (this is game number 4) and I'm very happy with my setup now. I've got an automated turret and solar array factory (plus red and green science packs as usual). I'm much happier with my setup and I just cleared so I've expanded my perimeter. Unlike the first two games (game 3 didn't get far enough), I did not go for oil early, instead opting for solar panels. That will be my job tomorrow (plastic, solid fuel, and lube factory) as well as an engine factory.

God, I am going to spend so very many hours in this game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Mr. Powers posted:

God, I am going to spend so very many hours in this game.

oh god it's already my third top game in hours played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zetsubou-san posted:

oh god it's already my third top game in hours played

It has a long way to go to top TF2, and Prison Architect and Cities: Skylines are somewhere far behind and yet way ahead of Factorio.