Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

flosofl posted:

Personally, I use Name Mangler. It some features that make a multi-step job in Finder take only one. Not everyone has that need, but I don't think I'd be happy without it.

I think I tried that and it worked quite nicely, but I'm also fairly certain it won't spit out something I can use as a Folder Action.

Folder Actions are goddamn great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

flosofl posted:

Personally, I use Name Mangler. It some features that make a multi-step job in Finder take only one. Not everyone has that need, but I don't think I'd be happy without it.

Yeah, if you find yourself doing a lot of complex renaming, Name Mangler is great. It even supports regular expressions and scripting.

Zenostein posted:

I think I tried that and it worked quite nicely, but I'm also fairly certain it won't spit out something I can use as a Folder Action.

Folder Actions are goddamn great.

You should be able to export your Name Mangler preset as a Droplet (standalone app), then create a Folder Action that opens all files with that app.

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 23, 2016

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Got a Time Machine, let me explain our setup.

Wireless router in upstairs office. Wifi is spotty throughout the house, because it's old with thick-rear end plaster walls, so in order to get my Apple TV and Xbox working I ran a cable through the ceiling down to my living room - so those devices are hardwired in. Now...can I plug my Time Machine into that switch downstairs, and from there re-broadcast my wifi signal straight from it? Therefore finally getting a good wireless signal in my living room?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jackpot posted:

Got a Time Machine, let me explain our setup.

Wireless router in upstairs office. Wifi is spotty throughout the house, because it's old with thick-rear end plaster walls, so in order to get my Apple TV and Xbox working I ran a cable through the ceiling down to my living room - so those devices are hardwired in. Now...can I plug my Time Machine into that switch downstairs, and from there re-broadcast my wifi signal straight from it? Therefore finally getting a good wireless signal in my living room?
(More of a hardware or general networking question but anyway...)
Yeah that should work, although not technically rebroadcasting. (I think) you'd turn on the wireless network and bridge the existing wired network. You can set up the wireless network like the existing one (i.e. same name/password) and stuff configured for your existing network should* auto connect to the new network. Or set it up with a new name in case you want to force stuff to connect to one or the other.

*If there's enough signal, devices might try holding onto that instead of switching over. And there's WDS or something that is meant to extend networks, but I haven't messed with it in a while so I'm not sure how it is these days.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm having an issue with my work-issued Macbook Pro, maybe someone can help.

Spotlight.app is running at ~150% at all times, across reboots and everything. I tried Googling this, and a lot of the stuff I found pertained more to the mds service, and how to disable that but that isn't helping. The problem isn't with indexing, it's with the actual Spotlight.app in /System/Library/CoreServices. Spotlight is working on my system, but the process is maxing out a core of my CPU and making my fans spin like crazy. I tried deleting /.Spotlight-V100/ and forcing a reindex, but that hasn't helped.

Since this is a work-laptop, and it has some IT provisioning crap done to it, I don't think I can just wipe it and reinstall myself, unfortunately.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Since this is a work-laptop, and it has some IT provisioning crap done to it, I don't think I can just wipe it and reinstall myself, unfortunately.

Crazy idea: make your IT guys deal with it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I miss having an ops and IT team. Could just be like, yo guys, you deal with this. Now it's like, jeez, I have to administrate these loving servers...

But yeah, work laptop, work deals with it! If something goes wrong with my work laptop, I'm not loving with it myself, I'm tossing it at my boss or our CTO and telling them to figure it out through whatever support contracts we have.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cool story Pivo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have the best stories Mr. Sex ;)

Do you want to hear the one about how I started a self join on a 13 million row table with a text compare and thought I aborted it but killed Oracle over the weekend after transferring like 13tb of data?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What's a simple, free/cheap video podcast downloader? I moved my music to my new NAS with Emby, and I use Overcast for my audio podcasts. So if I set up a new way to grab my programming screencasts, I can live the dream of never having to use iTunes again.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Depressing Box posted:

You may also be able to use batch rename (available in OS X 10.10+):

http://i.imgur.com/OPYHpJQ.webm

What the gently caress is this?!?!

People bitch high and low about the Finder, justifiably, but Apple then puts in awesome stuff like this and doesn't tell anyone.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Does anyone know why scrolling with a mouse wheel doesn't work in the Calendar app, but it works everywhere else in 10.11? It works on the trackpad, but not with the mouse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

People bitch high and low about the Finder, justifiably, but Apple then puts in awesome stuff like this and doesn't tell anyone.

That's loving awesome.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

AlternateAccount posted:

I use it constantly, I used to use Path Finder for this functionality but now I don't need to dick around with it anymore.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kefkafloyd posted:

I use it constantly, I used to use Path Finder for this functionality but now I don't need to dick around with it anymore.

Path Finder still lets you string together an entire row of different substitutions and naming schemes, with previews of the final names, so it still has an edge in bulk processing. But yeah, Finder is (veeeeery slowly) getting some sense beaten into it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
This is a question that crosses OS X / iOS boundaries: Other than Evernote, what do people recommend for basic note taking - with the ability to share/sync/edit notes between multiple people?

So far my searching has brought me to Simplenote, but I was wondering if there were others.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Choadmaster posted:

This is a question that crosses OS X / iOS boundaries: Other than Evernote, what do people recommend for basic note taking - with the ability to share/sync/edit notes between multiple people?

So far my searching has brought me to Simplenote, but I was wondering if there were others.

OneNote?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Seconding OneNote. It's seems like it's going to be one of the last multiplatform note applications standing, since Evernote usage seems to be fading.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

flosofl posted:

Evernote usage seems to be fading.

Other than rumors in forums, I have yet to see any evidence of this. There is much woe and hand-wringing about the "first unicorn to fall", but where is there any fire to go with the smoke?

I still use Evernote daily, and it's great. :colbert:

I've used OneNote, and it's OK, but it still has a long way to go for me. It still doesn't feel finished, or polished.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

XBenedict posted:

Other than rumors in forums, I have yet to see any evidence of this. There is much woe and hand-wringing about the "first unicorn to fall", but where is there any fire to go with the smoke?

I still use Evernote daily, and it's great. :colbert:

I've used OneNote, and it's OK, but it still has a long way to go for me. It still doesn't feel finished, or polished.

Is it really hard to believe that a basically free note taking application available on all platforms and web, and backed by a billion dollar per quarter company, will knockout Evernote?

They even created a Microsoft distributed tool for moving your notebooks off Evernote. Outside of extensive tagging I'm not sure what OneNote lacks against EverNote. Maybe that's why I've cancelled my sub.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

XBenedict posted:

Other than rumors in forums, I have yet to see any evidence of this. There is much woe and hand-wringing about the "first unicorn to fall", but where is there any fire to go with the smoke.

Read some tech news sites, Evernote have been on a downward trajectory for a while now.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Evernote just got too loving complicated. Features kill products.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

benisntfunny posted:

Is it really hard to believe that a basically free note taking application available on all platforms and web, and backed by a billion dollar per quarter company, will knockout Evernote?

Kind of? It seems more likely that a billion dollar per quarter company would buy Evernote and integrate/dissolve it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Evernote wonk. I've even used the export tools that MS and Apple just release for OneNote/Notes. I just don't feel like Keep/Notes are good replacements for the "poo poo vault" that I used Evernote for. OneNote sort of does, but it just doesn't do it very well.

All of the services are fine for basic notetaking.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AlternateAccount posted:

Improving Finder was one of their major advertised pushes around Mavericks(?), whichever one added in tabs for Finder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

XBenedict posted:

Kind of? It seems more likely that a billion dollar per quarter company would buy Evernote and integrate/dissolve it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Evernote wonk. I've even used the export tools that MS and Apple just release for OneNote/Notes. I just don't feel like Keep/Notes are good replacements for the "poo poo vault" that I used Evernote for. OneNote sort of does, but it just doesn't do it very well.

All of the services are fine for basic notetaking.

Yeah, it's a digital filing cabinet with notes. I think indexing a Dropbox folder kind of makes it redundant but the handwriting and automatic pdf ocr and tagging is pretty essential as well. I still pay for it so I hope the company does well!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Evernote is a startup company in a super expensive location (just south of SF, building with a giant logo easily visible from 101) that is following one of those classic probably-going-to-crash-and-burn trajectories: made a big splash with a freemium product, media / user darling, has yet to figure out how to grow revenue enough to support the fancy digs and startup lyfe, what are profits???? There have been cracks in the facade recently.

I mean it's not impossible that they pull out of it, but it has so many earmarks of a tech bubble company.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone remember how Apple pro apps licenses worked on older PPC builds? Like how do you transfer them? Do they phone home to verify? If I buy some nostalgia boxed apps from ebay/amazon, how will I know I can transfer the license to my machine(s)?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they are from the pre-App Store days then it's just a serial key that is typed in during the install.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thanks Ants posted:

If they are from the pre-App Store days then it's just a serial key that is typed in during the install.

But does it phone home? Check number of installs? Blacklists? Things that might affect me buying used software.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So, Safari Technology Preview version 3 just got put up in Software Update.

Seems.. snappier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shaocaholica posted:

But does it phone home? Check number of installs? Blacklists? Things that might affect me buying used software.

I definitely used copies that people had shared around a while ago, so I would say no. But that's just anecdotal.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Question: I've recently started using Word and Excel on my Mac (Because I have extra installs, so why not) but every time I start one of them, it feels like it's loading the library of congress - even on small files.

Is there a trick to opening word documents in word without needing bed rest?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arsten posted:

Question: I've recently started using Word and Excel on my Mac (Because I have extra installs, so why not) but every time I start one of them, it feels like it's loading the library of congress - even on small files.

Is there a trick to opening word documents in word without needing bed rest?

Does your Mac have an SSD? Because Word 2016 is a 1.9GB application on my machine for example. Off the SSD, it starts instantly. I tried to time how long but it starts so fast that I literally could not get any kind of accuracy with a stopwatch. But I've seen people with platter drives try to use it and yeah it's slow. It's a big application.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it does what the Windows versions do and query printers before loading then check you don't have any printers with hosed driver packages installed.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Does your Mac have an SSD? Because Word 2016 is a 1.9GB application on my machine for example. Off the SSD, it starts instantly. I tried to time how long but it starts so fast that I literally could not get any kind of accuracy with a stopwatch. But I've seen people with platter drives try to use it and yeah it's slow. It's a big application.
It...doesn't really load the whole app bundle, does it? I mean, starting Excel fresh (which I just happened to do) it's sitting at 85MB RAM and Virtual Memory.

I do have a platter drive, though. I was planning on upgrading once those nice 1TB SSDs that released last year come down in price from "Ridiculous" to "Pricey."

Thanks Ants posted:

If it does what the Windows versions do and query printers before loading then check you don't have any printers with hosed driver packages installed.
I have one network printer and deleting it and its' software made no difference. :(

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arsten posted:

It...doesn't really load the whole app bundle, does it? I mean, starting Excel fresh (which I just happened to do) it's sitting at 85MB RAM and Virtual Memory.

Nah, it only loads the binary, it'd be funny if it loaded 1.9GB of data just to launch you into a blank page. But it is a large application in general. It's going to feel slow on a platter drive. We're hooked on fast IO now.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to an SSD. And if you're south of 8GB of RAM, I'd say - gently caress it, get 16. It's an inexpensive upgrade and will make your machine fly. Yes, even Word.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Nah, it only loads the binary, it'd be funny if it loaded 1.9GB of data just to launch you into a blank page. But it is a large application in general. It's going to feel slow on a platter drive. We're hooked on fast IO now.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to an SSD. And if you're south of 8GB of RAM, I'd say - gently caress it, get 16. It's an inexpensive upgrade and will make your machine fly. Yes, even Word.

I have 16. I've been told I can support 32 (which is not what Apple's specs say), but I haven't tried that. I would have gotten an SSD when I got this Mac, but the upgrade was ridiculously expensive and there weren't any large SSDs at the time. I simply can't exist on 256GB.

The only applications that load slow are the Office apps. Even my VMs start up nice and quick without so much as a hint of slowness. I was hoping it was a configuration issue.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Arsten posted:

I do have a platter drive, though. I was planning on upgrading once those nice 1TB SSDs that released last year come down in price from "Ridiculous" to "Pricey."

I have one network printer and deleting it and its' software made no difference. :(

I would put good money on most of that 1.9GB being templates, clip art, and so forth. So no, it's not going to load it all.

fyi, you get get a 1TB 850 EVO for about $350 right now, or a 960GB Sandisk Ultra II for $225 (both on amazon). I would tend to prefer the EVO but that's a substantial price diff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I say it a lot but I put a 512GB Samsung 840 Evo in my 2011 iMac and 16GB of RAM and its faster than when I bought the thing. its incredible. Im actually struggling to justify ever getting a new machine (but want a retina display oh-so-badly :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

How do you figure out if you can put 32GB of ram in your macbook pro? I've got 2015 with 16GB already but i'd love an extra 16GB.