Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
So this just came out, kind of good timing I suppose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY

I think this qualifies as the mythical standard of "good fanart"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
This isn't specifically Star Fox Zero related but the Star Fox fan cartoon that's been in the works for awhile finally released their first episode and it's really good. It's not your typical cringey internet humor, it feels like an old adult swim show, really cool vibe to it.

e: wow that post literally popped up between me checking to see if anyone posted this yet and then actually making the post. I guess just take that as proof it's actually pretty cool.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

murphyslaw posted:

This rules.

Also the game is really good and fun. I've been playing coop with my roommate. We just switch off who's flying/shooting every few missions. After doing that for an afternoon, playing the single player was a lot easier. Today we started trying to get all the medals. Is there much to do after that ? I mean besides the Black Arwing mode.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Pomp posted:

why would you sell your wonderful 101 and bayonetta 2 machine

and splatoon. and pokken.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

murphyslaw posted:

kind of good timing I suppose:

It was actually meant to be out on SFZ's release, but it's all basically hand-animated by one dude (who also voices most of the characters) so, y'know, setbacks and all that.

That thing looked rad from the initial test footage and turned out even better, it's pretty awesome to see actually inspired fanwork turn out good, especially in the wake of a proper goshdang Star Fox game. It also has the best Wolf interpretation and is better than that weird anime thing Nintendo did.

Hopefully he gets some other animators in on that now that he's proven it's cool, because trying to make a whole 10 episode season of that by yourself is maybe a fool's errand i dunno.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Moartoast posted:

Hopefully he gets some other animators in on that now that he's proven it's cool, because trying to make a whole 10 episode season of that by yourself is maybe a fool's errand i dunno.

If Ninty's lawyers aren't all over this by the end of the week I'd be very surprised. This is the only episode there's ever going to be, and it's not going to be around for long.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

If Ninty's lawyers aren't all over this by the end of the week I'd be very surprised. This is the only episode there's ever going to be, and it's not going to be around for long.

Already happened, and creator accounted for it. It was originally straight-up called "Star Fox: The Animated Series" until Nintendo hit them like four months ago, which is where it became A Fox In Space. From what I've read of their blog, they've talked to their attorneys about what can and can't fly after that point. And they've been safely making Patreon bucks since Nintendo made them flip around the title, so they might maybe be in the clear.

The weird part is that the credits and titles still say the original names, while the preview stuff all got changed to silly spellings like "Faulks McCleod" and "Starr Wolf" after the strike, which might be enough for Nintendo to do what Nintendo do, but even then it just means he'll have to flip around some title cards and re-upload if it comes down to it.

Or they'll will be ruthlessly vindictive if it takes off in a big way because Nintendo, who the hell knows.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish companies would just hire and assimilate competent fan products, instead of wrestling with them over legal nonsense. Whenever a good fan product gets tied up like that everybody loses, including the consumer.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

murphyslaw posted:

That's really good. It's rare to see someone make a fan project like this with actual genuine humor, without relying on over-the-top violence or monkey-cheese. It manages to do something a little more "adult" with the characters while still staying respectful to the original.

I won't blame Nintendo if they nuke it from orbit but it would be cool if they didn't.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 26, 2016

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wish companies would just hire and assimilate competent fan products, instead of wrestling with them over legal nonsense. Whenever a good fan product gets tied up like that everybody loses, including the consumer.

Everyone wishes that, but even not-as-out-of-touch corporations are immersed in a system that doesn't exactly encourage that kind of friendly and open behaviour, let alone Nintendo's infamously archaic nonsense. On the upside, the existence of this thing alone kinda shows how the times are a-changin' despite all that, because just five years ago there'd be no reasonable way to consistently crowdfund this the way they have.

Renoistic posted:

That's really good. It's rare to see someone make a fan project like this with actual genuine humor, without relying on over-the-top violence or monkey-cheese. It manages to do something a little more "adult" with the characters while still staying respectful to the original.

For the record, there'll still be some edginess to it for sure, we've already seen the tonal shift with cussing, drinking and lewd jokes (Fox's underwear brim says "Docking Request Granted" :ssh:), along with blood in the elevator and some murderin' that'll happen later based on previews, but it's definitely got an air of confidence and class to it that keeps it from feeling too... Well, fanwork-y. I've seen the Adult Swim comparison pretty much every time it's posted anywhere, and I'd say it fits that bill pretty well.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
People should just do what I do and write fanfiction that will attract the least attention possible but still allow them to make cool derivative fanworks of things they love

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

My only gripe with this game is the lack of MacBeth. Other than that its fantastic.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there something wrong, but I am not hearing any voice acting at all through the gamepad. It not like the thing speakers are bad, as the home button sound is very loud.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Try putting headphones into the gamepad and see if that works

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

murphyslaw posted:

This was really drat good.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Do unlocked stages/medals I get in arcade mode transfer over to the regular non-arcade mode? So far, I've only beaten the game once, didn't replay stages to unlock all of them, and wanted to know if it's cool to just unlock everything else by playing Arcade Mode over and over.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Twitch posted:

Do unlocked stages/medals I get in arcade mode transfer over to the regular non-arcade mode?

Yes.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wolf's expressions in that are fantastic.
http://i.imgur.com/LwpZy3W.gifv
In fact I may want a avatar out of this.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
That and the official episode are really good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any tips for Adventures? I know, I know but it's the only SF game I've yet to play.:spergin: It's pretty cool that such an old game has widescreen support.

Rare really went all out with the collectable thing in this shop. I have no clue which of these items I should get.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
is the slot machine in this game

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any tips for Adventures? I know, I know but it's the only SF game I've yet to play.:spergin: It's pretty cool that such an old game has widescreen support.

Never not haggle with the shopkeep. Play ball with Tricky and forget about the rest of the plot. Rare already put widescreen support in some of their N64 titles.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Rare really went all out with the collectable thing in this shop. I have no clue which of these items I should get.

I honestly forget. But, I was a dumb kid and this was the only Zelda game I managed to beat so it should be okay to do whatever.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
The voice acting in A Fox in Space is so damned good

It seems somewhat scattershot/janky (hence the early adult swimness) but it's super enjoyable to listen/watch

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never really thought of Fox as having a personality, but "completely over this poo poo" suits him surprisingly well.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
So I finally played a bunch of Star Fox Zero over the last couple of days. Holy poo poo this game is loving atrocious. I had fun in the first level where it's just on-rails Star Fox, but the game very rarely actually plays like that. Every loving boss fight the game wants me to constantly be looking down at the GamePad to aim and designs all the bosses to force you to. The gyrocopter level on Zoness was insanely bad and I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea for a Star Fox game. Any time I've gotten to just pilot an Arwing or the Landmaster going straight and shooting poo poo has been fun but it's so infrequent and those sections are over so fast.

I got to Robot Andross in the story mode and ended up losing all of my lives because that fight is terrible. How much more content is there after that?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That's the final boss. You just have other paths/levels/medals and whatnot to get after it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's the final boss. You just have other paths/levels/medals and whatnot to get after it.

lmao are you kidding me. what percentage of the game actually resembles star fox instead of gimmicky bullshit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Andross is a pretty reasonable boss. Cockpit mode highlights the platforms you can use to get inside if you can't spot them, and he has a massive tell and windup to flooding the inner chamber with purple death. Just sit in Walker Mode once inside and treat it like SF64's Andross fight.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I didn't really have any trouble finding my way inside, and Star Fox's ghost dad made sure to remind me multiple times about how great cockpit view is, my problem was that I couldn't reliably dodge the attack where he slams one hand down. No matter when I start dodging I'd still be in the way and it would hit me and knock me to the other side of the hand, where I would take damage a second time. Also because of the piddly damage on the single laser you respawn with and the reticle not lining up with where your laser actually shoots causing me to miss the first few shots it takes forever to actually blow up his hands. It's just an extremely boring fight and I don't understand why I can't just have a normal rear end Star Fox boss battle where I'm locked into two dimensions and fly around on the X and Y axis to dodge stuff. I'm sure I could finish it at this point but it wasn't fun and neither was the rest of the level preceding it so I'm not exactly raring to get back in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't really have any trouble finding my way inside, and Star Fox's ghost dad made sure to remind me multiple times about how great cockpit view is, my problem was that I couldn't reliably dodge the attack where he slams one hand down. No matter when I start dodging I'd still be in the way and it would hit me and knock me to the other side of the hand, where I would take damage a second time. Also because of the piddly damage on the single laser you respawn with and the reticle not lining up with where your laser actually shoots causing me to miss the first few shots it takes forever to actually blow up his hands. It's just an extremely boring fight and I don't understand why I can't just have a normal rear end Star Fox boss battle where I'm locked into two dimensions and fly around on the X and Y axis to dodge stuff. I'm sure I could finish it at this point but it wasn't fun and neither was the rest of the level preceding it so I'm not exactly raring to get back in.

Barrel roll, don't side-step, and you'll dodge the hand pretty easily.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is there a quick button for barrel roll. I'm having problems pulling it off reliably on the stick.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Is there a quick button for barrel roll. I'm having problems pulling it off reliably on the stick.

In Walker mode, if you hold the target button (ZL), you only need to tap once to barrel roll. No such thing for the Arwing mode, I'm afraid.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Barrel roll, don't side-step, and you'll dodge the hand pretty easily.

I did! Multiple times in a row! Didn't help much.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I did! Multiple times in a row! Didn't help much.
there's this thing called """timing""" that you have to use to dodge attacks

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

andipossess posted:

In Walker mode, if you hold the target button (ZL), you only need to tap once to barrel roll. No such thing for the Arwing mode, I'm afraid.

Dang, arwing is the only time it's finnicky.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Cat Machine posted:

there's this thing called """timing""" that you have to use to dodge attacks

Timing it never seemed to work so I just started spamming it and had more success. A single barrel roll doesn't even look like it'd get you far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I never really thought of Fox as having a personality, but "completely over this poo poo" suits him surprisingly well.

Likewise, going full "My dad owns a dealership!" with Andrew Oikinny is perfect.

• Locked thread