Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hasn't it been 3 days since the murder? Mia is actually Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also you know her sister's a medium

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

¡ay dios Mía!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That would make for an interesting story: a murder mystery where the victim comes back to life three days later.

...Repeatedly. :v:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

also you know her sister's a medium

Yeah, this is the main thing. It's already been stated that there are people who talk to dead people, so it's internally consistent, foreshadowed, and appropriate; we're okay with it. It's actually a much easier pill to swallow than the "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS" trial format in Japanifornia, since that hits a sort of sociopolitical Uncanny Valley (or maybe just makes us uncomfortable with how nearly true-to-life it is).

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Seems to me that the best way to kill someone in Japanafornia is to kill someone and skip town for three days while leaving a note confessing to it written by someone you dislike at the scene.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2 - Turnabout Sisters
Trial #2 - Part 3

: What happened? ... Oh, right... I lost the trial. I was... hallucinating. ...

: Ah, you're finally awake.

: ... "Gak"? That's no way to greet an old friend! Phoenix, I want you to look at me.

: Y-You're... M-Maya...?

: When you accepted your defeat in court... It appears that was enough of a shock to awaken Maya's true powers.
: So... Maya is channeling you, Mia?
: That's right. I am Maya, but I'm also Mia.

: Maya never gave up. You can't either! That's what I came here to tell you.
: ...! B-but!
: We don't have much time, Phoenix. Now listen. You've already won.
: Huh...?
: You have that Receipt in the court record, right?

: Phoenix! White wrote that, not me!
: So... so what do I do with it?
: Look at the front of the receipt!
: The... front?

: (Looks like it's from a famous department store. "$1,000.00"... wow, big spender! "Item"... "glass light stand"...! "Date of purchase"... "September 4"...) ...! September 4!
: That's right, Phoenix.

: I bought that stand the day before I was killed!
: Whoa!
: Now, what did Mr. White say in his testimony?

: There you go! I think the court is about to reconvene!
: Go do it, Phoenix! You know you're innocent, now you just have to prove it!
: Right!

: The court will now reconvene for the trial of Mr. Phoenix Wright.
: Is the defendant... rather, are you alright, Mr. Wright?
: Yes. Sorry, Your Honor. I'm fine now.
: Then, let's start where we left off.

: Your Honor.
: There is nothing to go back to! The cross-examination of Mr. White is finished!
: All that is required now is for you to pass judgment on the defendant Phoenix Wright!
: Hmm...

: Your Honor! Please, give me one more chance. I promise you, this is the last time I'll ask you!
: Hmm...
: But, as Mr. Edgeworth has noted, the trial is more or less finished.
: Mr. Edgeworth, do you have an opinion on this matter?

: I say... let us give Mr. Phoenix Wright his "last chance."
: Very well! You may begin your cross-examination.

: Do you have proof!?

: Miss April May knew the details of Ms. Fey's phone conversation! This proves that the wiretap was placed before the murder!
: Huh... right. (Gah! I have to show him the evidence Mia gave me!)

That's about all that changes - that line gets appended to the end of everything,

: See the word "Maya" written in blood...?

: I think not. Look at the other side of the receipt.
: Th-the other side?
: Your Honor. Would you tell the court what is written on the other side of that receipt?

: Well! A "glass light stand"! And the date of purchase... Why, that's the day before the murder!

: Mr. White. When you allegedly entered Fey & Co. Law Offices at the beginning of September...

: Well, Mr. White? Can't get out of this one, can you?

: (Uh oh... he's losing it.) ...
: Well, Your Honor. I understand there must be quite a bit of PRESSURE on you.

: But I think you'll agree you can't judge me "guilty" under these circumstances.
: ! ...... Very well.

: Then, that is all for the trial of...

: Not so fast, Phoenix Wright!

: Eh? (What! No way can he worm his way out of this one! Oh wait... I forgot. It's Edgeworth.)

: There is a certain thread of logic to the defendant's claims.

: However! There is no concrete proof that Phoenix Wright is innocent!
: (...!)
: Ergo!
: I would like to request one more day before Phoenix Wright is granted his freedom. I need time to make one more inquiry into this matter.
: Hmm...!
: (Another inquiry...!? This isn't going to be another one of those "updated autopsy reports"! This guy just makes up evidence as he pleases!)

: (Hmm. I don't know where he's going with this. I'd better hold back for now.)
: I see...
: Very well. As there is no objection from the defense, I grant Mr. Edgeworth his extra day.

: Mr. White's guilt is obvious! There is no need to prolong this trial any further!
: Hmm.
: Well, Mr. Edgeworth?

: If anyone is going to call Mr. White to trial, it would be me, the prosecution.
: I need a day to ascertain whether your claims have any basis in factual evidence!
: Hmm.
: I see. Objection denied!
: Whaaaat!

Convergence.

: The completion of the trial of Mr. Phoenix Wright will be postponed until tomorrow.
: (No! There's no telling what will happen if I can't end this now!)

: (Edgeworth is sure to come up with--or just make up--something! And after Mia showed up to help me and all..)

: Mr. Your Honor!
: May I go home?
: Of course. Thank you for your time.
: (Gah!)

: (M-Mia...!)

: Read this note out loud.
: Mia? What's this...?

: Your Honor. If I may...?
: You're quite persistent today, Mr. Wright!
: (You bet I am! My life is riding on this one!)

: Many of them sounded strangely familiar. People in finance, famous celebrities... That's when it happened.

: P-please, stop! Make him stop! How... how did you get that list!?
: Mr. White. Admit your guilt, right here, right now. Or else this list will be released to the press!

: Case closed, Your Honor.

: Well, I see no reason to continue this trial.
: Mr. Wright?
: Yes, Your Honor.
: You've done it again! That was quite a spirited defense!
: Yes, Your Honor. I guess you could say that. (If only you knew how "spirit"-ed it was!)
: Hmm. Well!
: This court finds the defense... Ahem! Rather, the defendant, Mr. Phoenix Wright...

: That is all. The court is adjourned!

: But, congratulations! You're lucky I was born a Fey!
: I'm lucky I had both you and Maya on my side.
: I'm glad you made it. ... Thank you, Phoenix. You risked a lot to help me... and Maya. I won't forget it as long as I live!
: (As long as you "live"...?)
: ... My time here's running out.
: Huh?
: Maya's powers are still weak.
: I can't stay here that long.
: W-what!? No! There's still so much to say!
: Don't worry. I'm sure we'll meet again.
: Ch-Chief!
: Hee hee. I'm not the "Chief" anymore.
: Phoenix? Can you come to the office tonight... say, 9:00?
: The office...?
: I'll see you later.

: You came!
: Mia...
: I was kinda worried you might not.
: Huh? Of course I came...
: Well then! I'm pretty hungry. How about a burger?
: M-Mia...?
: ... Bwah hah hah! You should see your face!
: Mia!

: M-Maya...?

: (Look like... you WERE her!)
: Hmm! I might be able to use that. "Oh, Phoenix! Go to the store and buy me lunch, would you?"
: Uhm, Maya... Why are you here?

: See? Mia wrote me a letter. "Take care of Phoenix for me."
: Take care of... huh?
: She means the office! This office!
: Someone has to help with the new Wright & Co. Law Offices, right?

: Wait, no, on second thought, let's make this casual!
: Yo, Nick! Maya here, ready to get down to business! You... don't mind me calling you "Nick," do you? It's a great name! Mia said that's what your friend Larry calls you.
: ("Nick"...?)
: You know what this means? We're partners!

: It is Maya's fault I'm here now. But... If it wasn't for her I'd probably be in jail! "Wright & Co. Law Offices." It's got a good ring to it. Yeah! Thanks, Maya!

: (Good luck, Phoenix. I'll always be here... watching.)

: Huh? Do... what?
: Burgers, dummy! Burgers! There's a great burger joint just down the street. C'mon! Time's a wasting!
: O-okay! Wait up!

Next time: Turnabout Samurai

Louisiana Rev. Stat., Subsections 67.13, 67.5 posted:

Theft of an alligator is the misappropriation or taking of an alligator, an alligator's skin, or a part of an alligator, whether dead or alive, belonging to another, either without the consent of the other to the misappropriation or taking, or by means of fraudulent conduct, practices, or representations. An intent to deprive the other permanently of the alligator, the alligator's skin, or a part of an alligator is essential.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 8, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mors Rattus posted:

: I would like to request one more day before Phoenix Wright is granted his freedom. I need time to make one more inquiry into this matter.
Got a misplaced portrait there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Poor Edgeworth. Beaten by a confession from his idiotic witness that the defense's last-minute deus ex machina asspull somehow drew out.

Look at that indignation. That frustration.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IAmTheRad posted:

Got a misplaced portrait there.

Fixed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, this is unfortunate. The series as a whole is fantastic and nearly every single case has amazing twists at the end, but this case is simply ended with a flat out Mia ex machina. It's that it's such an exception that makes it really bug me, but it also means that the resolutions to other cases are thankfully superb.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Mors Rattus posted:

: So... Maya is channeling oyu, Mia?

Got a typo here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Why does she suddenly have Maya's hair colour?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For the same reason she has Maya's clothing and hair style: she's possessing Maya.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Having the clothing and hairstyle of Maya makes sense. Appearing to have her own body and face yet having Maya's hair colour much less so.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Why does she suddenly have Maya's hair colour?

Because Maya is the one channeling here spirit! Ergo, she looks kinda like a combo of Mia and Maya.

*sigh* ninja-ed while I was typing this, but I'm gonna post it anyway.
EDIT: Okay, fair point about appearing to have her own body and face yet not hair, in which case the answer is something along the lines of "that's how they decided to make this design look, don't ask me why". Though perhaps thought thought having Mia's normal hair colour would somehow make it too much of a discrepancy from Maya's look? Your guess is as good as mine there.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 27, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kopijeger posted:

Having the clothing and hairstyle of Maya makes sense. Appearing to have her own body and face yet having Maya's hair colour much less so.

It'd be a bit lame for this series with it's love of wild character design to just have Mia talking through Maya.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It'd be a bit lame for this series with it's love of wild character design to just have Mia talking through Maya.

Uhh.... but isn't that exactly what's happening? Would you mind elaborating on what exactly you mean by this? My guess is that you think "just having Mia talking through Maya" would essentially just completely look like Mia in Maya's outfit, whereas retaining Maya's hair colour makes the design a little different from that, and therefore less boring/more interesting? Something along those lines?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Maya should look like some Exorcist poo poo is going on. No one in the court will notice that all of Maya's limbs are bent the wrong way and she's puking blasphemies while clinging to the rafters.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

It's... it's kind of a thing. Don't worry, the game will bring this up.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Maybe Maya dyes her hair for some reason.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Edgeworth just doesn't let up in this case. Shame that it's not Phoenix that beats him, but Mia.

Maya just takes on Mia's body type. She doesn't have her sister's beauty mark either, I believe.

Also, Maya probably needs to let her clothing out a little to accommodate her older sister.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stephen9001 posted:

Uhh.... but isn't that exactly what's happening? Would you mind elaborating on what exactly you mean by this? My guess is that you think "just having Mia talking through Maya" would essentially just completely look like Mia in Maya's outfit, whereas retaining Maya's hair colour makes the design a little different from that, and therefore less boring/more interesting? Something along those lines?

What I meant is just having Mia talk through Maya without any visual changes.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What I meant is just having Mia talk through Maya without any visual changes.

In that case, what exactly does that have to do with this?

Kopijeger posted:

This guy meant that having Mia's body and face yet not hair colour was weird, not that she should have looked entirely like normal Mia or Maya.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

HenryEx posted:

It's... it's kind of a thing. Don't worry, the game will bring this up.

Yeah there's not too much that can be said about this other than it's... relevant and good that you noticed it now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And now y'all know why I think this was the weakest case of the first game. :v:

Honestly, I'd think it would've been better if the Judge just called Edgeworth out, and ended the trial right then and there. Instead... Yeah.

And it's weird that all it took to get Redd to break down was just reading a list of his blackmail victims. Guy didn't even get a proper breakdown animation.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
The ending would have been better if Mia's blackmail list was still accessible somehow. White took it, and somewhere some piece of evidence would imply where it is. Phoenix could then notice this (with suitably difficult reasoning) and finish Mia's job.

Instead, we got a practically non-interactive finale where an NPC solves the case. Oh well.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
I think the best part of this whole case is that every single person in the courtroom is baffled by the idea of looking at the other side of an object.

Also, I also found it odd that Maya takes Mia's appearance, but only phoenix seems to notice or care. Like I would assume the bailiff or judge would wonder why or how phoenix replaces his bench helper in the middle of session somehow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They address it in the anime, where the Judge is all "Hey, you look kinda different," and Mia's like "Actually, I don't," and the Judge goes "Well okay."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stephen9001 posted:

In that case, what exactly does that have to do with this?

This guy meant that having Mia's body and face yet not hair colour was weird, not that she should have looked entirely like normal Mia or Maya.

eh chalk it up to misreading

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So apparently blackmail is legal as long as you do it in the courtroom?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Glazius posted:

Statute of limitations runs out when the perpetrator dies, and that applies to crimes committed after the fact.

What are they gonna do, arrest a ghost?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

theshim posted:

Yeah, this is unfortunate. The series as a whole is fantastic and nearly every single case has amazing twists at the end, but this case is simply ended with a flat out Mia ex machina. It's that it's such an exception that makes it really bug me, but it also means that the resolutions to other cases are thankfully superb.

It really could have been handled better, but I'm kind of okay with it since it's used to show how ruthless Edgeworth is and how he's not afraid to play dirty for his wins. I just wish Mia nailed him with something better than using blackmail on a blackmailer.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I forgot how cutthroat Miles was in the first game.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
This case did a good job establishing Edgeworth as a worthy opponent/counterpart to Phoenix. Particularly at the beginning. During your first investigation, you get the autopsy report and if you've been paying the slightest bit of attention, you see the obvious problem. You go into court with a plan. Which Edgeworth easily anticipates and parries. It's a huge step up from Tutorial Guy, it reminds you of your lack of experience, and it leaves you in a bad position. It's very well done.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Suspicious Cook posted:

It really could have been handled better, but I'm kind of okay with it since it's used to show how ruthless Edgeworth is and how he's not afraid to play dirty for his wins. I just wish Mia nailed him with something better than using blackmail on a blackmailer.

As someone that has never played these games, this is what I took from it.

Having phoenix/the player not actually overcome edgeworth, but having maya do it instead by doing a thing seems something that's intentionally a little underwhelming. It's a way to show that phoenix isn't on edgeworths level yet (it seems clear that phoenix can't actually beat edgeworth using his Lawyer Skills right now because he'll just keep going "wait actually let me adjust things" like he was about to do for the dozenth time, there needed to be something deux ex machina to bail phoenix out with a crazy left field solution) and builds him up as a more engaging badguy by making the player really wanna get him on their own terms next time.

Granted I could be talking out of my rear end and actually it's just kind of lame, but I can do nothing but wait and see.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Glazius posted:

Blackmail? Whatever do you mean? Some lady in the courtroom just began to read out a list of names, nothing illegal about that!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, though, it's weird that that's what finally gets him to capitulate. I mean, even discounting that he's the actual murderer, he'd already been outed as a blackmailing scumbag. What does revealing the names of his victims really change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Regalingualius posted:

Really, though, it's weird that that's what finally gets him to capitulate. I mean, even discounting that he's the actual murderer, he'd already been outed as a blackmailing scumbag. What does revealing the names of his victims really change?

I imagine that the people he's blackmailed won't look kindly on him after this incident. After all, he got himself involved voluntarily and almost mucked it up. Maybe he'd rather take prison and a chance to weasel out of a death sentence than to see what happens when the people he used to hold power over go for his head.

• Locked thread