Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Parallax posted:

is Turner Classic Movies a thing in other countries? I assume they could try launching in other territories in its successful, but it could be a bitch to work all those licenses out

It exists in Canada, but I definitely remember instances of films being announced on the schedule that were replaced by something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Only streaming service I'm on is my family's Netflix so I feel like I can afford to shell out to have the entire Criterion Collection + whatever TCM curates at my fingertips.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Only streaming service I'm on is my family's Netflix so I feel like I can afford to shell out to have the entire Criterion Collection + whatever TCM curates at my fingertips.

I'd pay like $30 a month for this, its basically like my ultimate fantasy streaming service. That said, and I'm sorry for being repetitive, I really hope its available on enough platforms to make it practical. I'd prefer to not have to re-design my whole setup just for this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm pretty much completely sold, at this point I'm just curious how much of the TCM library will be available.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's worth noting that the way this works, general subscription will include a rotating library of movies both from Criterion and TCM. So one month you may be able to watch Fanny & Alexander, The Seventh Seal and Persona and the next month you'll be able to see Rashomon, Ugetsu and Tokyo Story. The bonus Criterion premium gives you full access to the entire Criterion library WITH the home release supplements.

TCM will be great for non-Criterion titles, more classic Hollywood and obscurities I would hope.

quote:

FilmStruck will be launching this fall on desktop and mobile devices, and internet-connected television platforms. A service built from the start with nothing but movies in mind, it will feature films from many major studios and independent distributors alongside a broad and constantly rotating selection of Criterion films, complete with the commentaries and rich supplemental content that Criterion viewers have come to expect. Carefully curated and always changing, it should be a cinema lover’s dream.

FilmStruck subscribers will also be eligible to sign up for the Criterion Channel, a premium service that will be all Criterion’s own. Once we’re up and running, the Criterion Channel will not only offer continual access to our library of more than 1,100 films, along with their special features, it will also give us the chance to approach the Criterion mission in a whole new way. After thirty years of focusing exclusively on one film or cycle of films at a time, we will now be able to feature a steady stream of original content that runs across filmographies, genres, time periods, and themes. We’ll reach outside our library to include films from major studios and independent rights holders. We’ll tap into our community of filmmakers and experts to act as guest curators and highlight archival discoveries not available on disc or anywhere else. It won’t replace our Blu-rays, but it will definitely add a new dimension to the Criterion experience.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Man I couldn't ever sign up for the full service, it would make my giant Criterion collection meaningless :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cacator posted:

Man I couldn't ever sign up for the full service, it would make my giant Criterion collection meaningless :(

The image quality on the blu-rays will still be better just because of the limitations of current streaming tech, so you'll always have that!

Also they look nice on a shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I also like having the security of knowing that to watch my movies all I need is electricity. I had an outage one time a few years ago that lasted like a whole month because of a blizzard, and thank loving god I had movies to watch.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It looks like there's also going to be titles from Kino-Lorber and Milestone in there as well, so that's a hell of a deal.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

And Flicker Alley. That's Blackhawk Films, Lobster Films, Cinemuseum, and Cinerama, plus some other stuff.

If they get Cohen Media (who has the 2K restorations of Intolerance and The Thief of Bagdad on Hulu), plus what TCM can get from their parent company... It would be possible to have one of the best resources for silent film. There's over 300 silents just with Warner/Turner.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Robert Denby posted:

It looks like there's also going to be titles from Kino-Lorber and Milestone in there as well, so that's a hell of a deal.

This excites me because I might get easy access to the red and the white.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The idea of waiting until the fall for this is slow torture when all I've got to tide me over is this goddamn election. GIVE ME THE CINEMA NOW!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
It's going to be US only...isn't it? :argh:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ratedargh posted:

The press release says "Global media company Turner is launching the company’s first direct-to-consumer product in the U.S. called FilmStruck." so yeah I think so :(

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
TCM and Criterion have made America great again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion just started releasing UK/Region B editions, FYI.

It's looking like it's mostly Sony and Janus properties, but not a bad selection so far.

It Happened One Night
Tootsie
Only Angels Have Wings
Polanski's Macbeth
In a Lonely Place
Grey Gardens
Speedy
Easy Rider
Burroughs: The Movie
Dr. Strangelove
Gilda
Overlord
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
L'Avventura

Amazon has a page up:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=9781575031

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Most likely this is Cat People (1942).

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Slate Action posted:

Most likely this is Cat People (1942).
Hooray! Although Cat People is such a short movie you'd think they would package it with something else. It would be great to have a Jacques Tourneur/Val Lewton set with I Walked With a Zombie and Leopard Man.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

HP Hovercraft posted:

Hooray! Although Cat People is such a short movie you'd think they would package it with something else. It would be great to have a Jacques Tourneur/Val Lewton set with I Walked With a Zombie and Leopard Man.

If it's stuff to the brim with bonus features it'll be worth it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HP Hovercraft posted:

The Curse of the Cat People would be good too.

Hell just put all of the Lewtons together in a boxset, I'd buy it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Warner DVD has Cat People and Curse on the same disc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Lol I bet some people are very confused once they start watching Curse and find this weird melancholic Christmas movie about a child instead of the first movie again.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

If it's stuff to the brim with bonus features it'll be worth it.
That's what I figured. Hopefully this means they will be getting around to more Tourneur in the future though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egbert Souse posted:

Are there any differences between the Warner Lewton DVDs and the Turner Home Entertainment DVDs?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ratedargh posted:

They answered this directly on their Facebook page:

At launch, FilmStruck will stream in the US only. We are absolutely listening to international feedback, though, and should we opt to extend the service to other countries, we'll let everyone know.

:canada:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Anybody here own any Criterion Laserdiscs?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Also in October this thread will have been active for a decade, drat.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What was the Old Criterion Collection DVD Thread closed for, I wonder

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Corek posted:

What was the Old Criterion Collection DVD Thread closed for, I wonder

For a while threads were routinely restarted once they hit 100 pages. Wouldn't surprise me if that was it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The previous one only went to 18 pages so that wasn't it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1600096&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Anybody here own any Criterion Laserdiscs?

I bought a box lot of records one time and there was a laser disc copy of Short Cuts in the stack

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I got King Kong, Swing Time, Magnificent Ambersons, and Othello

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

August releases:

The Immortal Story
Chimes at Midnight
Woman in the Dunes (Blu)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words
A Taste of Honey

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did not see The Immortal Story coming- very pleasant surprise . I'd love to see what they have to say about that one in the special features.

Looking forward to Chimes at Midnight and McCabe & Mrs. Miller too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

August releases:

The Immortal Story
Chimes at Midnight
Woman in the Dunes (Blu)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words
A Taste of Honey

i'm jerking off to this post

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Immortal Story is a pleasant surprise. Really wish they'd do a release of "The Trial".

Also what happened to Othello? More legal nonsense?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More details on August titles...

The Immortal Story (1968, Orson Welles)
New, restored 4K digital transfer of the English-language version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Alternate French-language version of the film
Audio commentary from 2005 featuring film scholar Adrian Martin
Portrait: Orson Welles, a 1968 documentary directed by François Reichenbach and Frédéric Rossif
New interview with actor Norman Eshley
Interview from 2004 with cinematographer Willy Kurant
New interview with Welles scholar François Thomas
PLUS: An essay by film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

Chimes at Midnight (1966, Orson Welles)
New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring film scholar James Naremore, author of The Magic World of Orson Welles
New interview with actor Keith Baxter
New interview with director Orson Welles’s daughter Beatrice Welles, who appeared in the film at age seven
New interview with actor and Welles biographer Simon Callow
New interview with film historian Joseph McBride, author of What Ever Happened to Orson Welles?
Interview with Welles while at work editing the film, from a 1965 episode of The Merv Griffin Show
Trailer

Woman in the Dunes (1964, Hiroshi Teshigahara)
[Blu-Ray edition - previously DVD-only in Teshigahara box set. Also a 2-disc DVD separate release.]

A Taste of Honey (1961, Tony Richardson)
New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interviews with actors Rita Tushingham and Murray Melvin
Audio interview with director and coscreenwriter Tony Richardson, conducted by film critic Gideon Bachmann at the 1962 Cannes Film Festival
New interview with Kate Dorney, curator of modern and contemporary theater at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, about A Taste of Honey’s onstage origins
Excerpt from a 1960 television interview with A Taste of Honey playwright Shelagh Delaney
Momma Don’t Allow (1956), Richardson’s first theatrical film
PLUS: An essay by film scholar Colin MacCabe

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words (2015, Stig Björkman)
High-definition digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with director Stig Björkman
Super 8 home movies shot by Bergman in the 1930s
Two deleted scenes, showing Bergman’s daughters reading an essay she wrote at age seventeen and an interview with film historian and Bergman scholar Rosario Tronnolone
Extended versions of scenes featuring interviews with actors Sigourney Weaver and Liv Ullmann and Bergman’s daughter Isabella Rossellini and with the three Rossellini siblings
Clip from the 1932 film Landskamp, featuring Bergman in her first screen role
Outtakes from Bergman’s 1936 film On the Sunny Side
Music video for Eva Dahlgren’s song “The Movie About Us,” which is included on the film’s soundtrack
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by film scholar Jeanine Basinger

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971, Robert Altman)
New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2002 featuring director Robert Altman and producer David Foster
New documentary on the making of the film, featuring actors René Auberjonois, Keith Carradine, and Michael Murphy; casting director Graeme Clifford; and script supervisor Joan Tewkesbury
New conversation about the film and Altman’s career between film historians Cari Beauchamp and Rick Jewell
Featurette from the film’s production, shot on location in 1970
Q&A from 1999 with production designer Leon Ericksen, hosted by the Art Directors Guild Film Society
Archival footage from interviews with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, in which he discusses his work on the film
Gallery of stills from the set by photographer Steve Schapiro
Excerpts from two 1971 episodes of The Dick Cavett Show featuring Altman and film critic Pauline Kael
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by film critic Nathaniel Rich

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zandert33 posted:

Immortal Story is a pleasant surprise. Really wish they'd do a release of "The Trial".

Also what happened to Othello? More legal nonsense?

The Trial is owned by StudioCanal, so it's not getting a release until the Lionsgate license expires. Othello is in the works, but they wanted to include multiple cuts, which is probably taking longer to prepare. Hulu has the 1990s version that looks fantastic, but it's cropped to 16x9 instead of 1.37:1.

Othello is actually owned by Welles' estate, so if they got an interview with Beatrice Welles for Chimes at Midnight, that's good news.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've mentioned this before but I reaaaalllllyyyy hope they're restoring Filming Othello too. That really needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I've mentioned this before but I reaaaalllllyyyy hope they're restoring Filming Othello too. That really needs it.

Looking at Wikipedia, the rights to Filming Othello are held by Oja Kodar.

So, don't hold your breath. There's been bad blood between Kodar and Beatrice Welles for a while. Welles has gotten a lot of flack, but the problems with The Other Side of the Wind are apparently Kodar interfering.