Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can guarantee you that any Subway worker who's tried to make a "whatever you like" sandwich has gotten yelled at halfway through making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Once a friend introduced his girlfriend to the group on a night out and at the end of the night asked another friend of ours the usual "so what do you think?". Instead of "wow she's great" the friend told him point blank he loving hated her. It was terribly awkward for a long time but very funny.

the first time I met the girlfriend of one of my friends, my first instinct was to blurt out to him to get the gently caress away from her because she was a manipulative, whiny, egotistical bitch. but then I relaxed and figured "well I shouldn't judge their relationship, I'm sure they make it work"

six months of anger and suffering later they broke up and six months after that he found a much lovelier person. recently I told him what I thought about his previous gf and he just laughed and asked jokingly, "why didn't you warn me?!"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It seems people forget how to queue for buses in the evening, like the simple fact of you have to let the people get off first or you will not be able to get on.

Crowding the doors doesn't help anything fuckers, all it means is I'm gonna have to bash my way through you, you can't even get on yet there is half the bus getting off.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're not a sandwich artist, they're a minimum wage employee trying to not get fired, which is really easy to do in a "customer is always right" type of atmosphere. You'd be impressed what people will freak out and demand to talk to the manager over. "This mongoloid you hired didn't put cream cheese on my tuna sandwich I want to see them FIRED RIGHT NOW!!"

Exactly this, just tell them what you want or don't want, it's not that difficult. A whole 30 seconds of your day taken up by saying "footlong Italian BMT on wheat with <toppings>, thanks" instead of making someone go through all the irritating guesswork.

gently caress, go to Youtube and look up customers getting pissed at employees over things they can't control. People flip out over cookie prices, not having a certain kind of bread, or whatever other petty bullshit they feel entitled to bitch about. It's amazing half these places stay in business with the amount of turnover from dealing with tasteless assholes who want poo poo food every day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geokinesis posted:

It seems people forget how to queue for buses in the evening, like the simple fact of you have to let the people get off first or you will not be able to get on.

Crowding the doors doesn't help anything fuckers, all it means is I'm gonna have to bash my way through you, you can't even get on yet there is half the bus getting off.

That reminds me, people who don't seem to understand how buying things at a store works. We've had cash registers for as long as I can remember, so at least 35 years, a prevalence of use of credit cards for at least 20 years, and I've used self-checkouts for at least 13 years. Still I get behind people who seem to not comprehend how any of this works, and not only that, wait until the final total is out to even start digging for a payment method.

Yeah, I've been standing behind you for the last 10 minutes while you stood there watching the cashier put things into bags, you could have spent 2 of those minutes fishing around for your card/cash!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Geokinesis posted:

Even in countries much more used to public transport like germany/switzerland there are still assholes who try to elbow their way on before the crowd gets off. The key is when you are getting off to never hesitate. I don't care if it's a 90+ year old frail woman getting on with her walker, shove her to the side. If you hesitate and let one person get on before you get off, you're officially not exiting and the flood of people getting on will commence and you'll have to try and get off next stop.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Tiggum posted:

I've done this with ham. Usually I look at what's there and say something specific, but sometimes I'm just not really thinking about it. And I really don't care what sort of ham you give me, it's all pretty much the same. Same goes with quantity. I just want some ham. However much you pick up and put in a bag, that's how much I want. I just want some meat for sandwiches, it's not important.

I don't mind that, it's more when you try and do that then they get really specific and go "I don't want that ham, let me look around for a few minutes after being in line for 5 minutes"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

It's amazing half these places stay in business with the amount of turnover from dealing with tasteless assholes who want poo poo food every day.

Lucky ones have hired (or created) jaded, cynical fucks that feed on that poo poo

Oh man here's that snippy blonde from ten minutes ago, I fuckin' knew she'd be back in with her order, oh she's tapping her foot while she waits, yesss, look at that face, she's so mad, I bet she's gonna give me an earful, I bet the single line of mayo was a little too tapered at the end and I "ruined her lunch," haha yep there's the blank stare, she's daydreaming--she's actually rehearsing what she's gonna say as she stands there, oh god the corners of her mouth just turned up a little, I bet she just got to the part where I'm totally put in my place by a skillful bon mot, here it comes, she's next, and I swear if she says something along the lines of 'you have no idea who you're talking to' I'm gonna need a change of pants

I love it. I bathe in the noxious auras of jerks flying off the handle for completely absurd reasons, bitching up a storm and raising hell in front of other customers because "double cheese means eight slices and I only got seven," and I take it all in. "What do you mean 'I can't write a check for these lottery tickets?' I wanna talk to your goddamn manager!" Breathe it in deep, yes, that's the good stuff right there, this dumb poo poo losing his mind, raising his heartrate and blood pressure, wasting his time demanding I change a policy that I have absolutely no control over. Oh, look at that red face, this guy is seriously about to blow a gasket and take a swing at me because he can't write a check for three dollars' worth of lottery tickets; his impotent rage washing over me like a warm spring rain

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sometimes you have to lean into the capitalism.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The brightest time of my short retail career was when a customer called me a smart rear end for, well, being a smartass in denying him the coupon he was trying to belligerently apply to something it couldn't. Thanks for the compliment sir, now please leave!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I had a customer yell, "I can't eat a sandwich with the bread taken out, it's against my religion!" I wrote it down on a napkin because it was so crazy I wanted to remember it. It was a type of sandwich where you scoop out the bread from the loaf to put more meat in :psyduck:

One of my old managers got a new job by saying "yeah people are really insane about their sandwiches."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I love it. I bathe in the noxious auras of jerks flying off the handle for completely absurd reasons, bitching up a storm and raising hell in front of other customers because "double cheese means eight slices and I only got seven," and I take it all in. "What do you mean 'I can't write a check for these lottery tickets?' I wanna talk to your goddamn manager!" Breathe it in deep, yes, that's the good stuff right there, this dumb poo poo losing his mind, raising his heartrate and blood pressure, wasting his time demanding I change a policy that I have absolutely no control over. Oh, look at that red face, this guy is seriously about to blow a gasket and take a swing at me because he can't write a check for three dollars' worth of lottery tickets; his impotent rage washing over me like a warm spring rain

Yeah, there's something very interesting about watching people really lose their marbles over little stuff like that. Once I learned how to not take it personally and just treat it like I was watching some interesting sort of bug, it got sort of fun.

Thin Privilege posted:

I had a customer yell, "I can't eat a sandwich with the bread taken out, it's against my religion!" I wrote it down on a napkin because it was so crazy I wanted to remember it. It was a type of sandwich where you scoop out the bread from the loaf to put more meat in :psyduck:

One of my old managers got a new job by saying "yeah people are really insane about their sandwiches."

People get so loving weird about food, in general. The last place I worked, people were really chill, thank gently caress, but I've seen some horrible people. Like my grandmother, who we stopped taking to restaurants for that exact reason.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Iron Crowned posted:

That reminds me, people who don't seem to understand how buying things at a store works...

This but for everything. Maybe I'm displaying some privilege I'm not aware of but seeing people completely mystified by poo poo like buying a train ticket or how to validate your ticket on a tram; how to pay for a ticket in a parking lot; how to order food at a food court; how to order a coffee at Starbucks. Just simple, basic, everyday interactions and transactions that I take completely for granted yet every day I see people just staring, slack-jawed and completely loving baffled by the situation they've found themselves in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
White bread.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In regards to food, I think I was on the opposite end for the cashier being a shitstain. So I went to McDonalds because gently caress it, I wanted some hot fries, and Monopoly was going on, and I was on a winning streak of more loving fries and smoothies. So I wait in line, am polite (maybe the dude thought I was being a bitch by saying please and thank you?), and asked for hot fries, and said I'd wait the 3-4 minutes for them, because I want hot fries, damnit. Some people say they want no-salt fries, what they really mean is steaming fresh. Dude took the cash and I waited. Now, this was during my work lunch so I was in uniform (which makes you keep on best behavior). Dude gives me the bag and off I go.

But I didn't open the bag and I should have. Because when I got outside the store I checked the bag and the fries were half cooked. Hey wait I got a large for the Monopoly piece too! No Monopoly container either. Well gently caress these fries. They were half limp and loving thawing in the center still. I was ready to head back inside and demand a refund or at least some real loving fries, but all I could see was some idiot filming me and me showing up on the news in uniform telling some McDonalds worker not to serve me half frozen food.

So I just threw it away and called it a lesson learned. Next time I'll be a bitch and will be as polite as the masses and throw the bag on the counter the next time they are loving thawing in the bag.

edit: peeve: when there are a dozen other parking places and some rear end in a top hat has to park RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR CAR because gently caress walking another parking place! Same people probably stand right next to each other at loving urinals too.

Peeve: when people say "let nature take its course." Okay, natural living with granola and poo poo. How about vet care? I heard a girl today whose pit bull is old, isn't eating, and can't walk around easily. But she's torn about having it put down. Almost everyone else she was talking to said she should end the dog's suffering, but a few chucklefucks threw out that line. Just let nature take its course and it'll be okay. Let nature decide.

Fuckers, nature is not some green bitch with roses in her hair. Nature is cruel, nature is crazy, nature is a bedbug drilling a vagina substitute into his latest female, nature is a lion killing the cubs in the pride when he takes over, nature is the cuckoo chick shoving and killing its foster siblings, nature is the loving hyena giving birth through its clitoris. Nature is not kind and beautiful! Nature is your dog suffering through seizures because you are too loving weak to be humane and mercy kill it! Don't whine to me about nature and being unable to let go, I've had to put down several animals, and that's part of being a pet owner, knowing when enough is enough, and that your selfishness shouldn't be more important than the animal's suffering.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Apr 28, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A man got very angry with me over 10 cent once. Someone had put the last brownie back in the empty basket that used to have fruit slice is in, fruit slices were 1.20 and brownies 1.20 so when he handed it to me I put it through as 1.30. Then he starts getting quite heated about me trying to rip him off when fruit slices were supposed to be 1.20. I tried to explain to him that it was clearly not a fruit slice and he accused me of false advertising. After a few minutes he calmed down and tried to be reasonable and said "look I don't want to get in an argument over 10 cent" as if he hadn't spent the last five minutes doing exactly that.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Apr 28, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nature, in short, doesn't give a gently caress about you or your high-minded ideals.

My peeve is people who are loud and obnoxious in areas where other people are having conversations at a civilized volume, or would be if Shouty and the Noisemakers could shut that gently caress up for ten minutes.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People getting pushy with food or drinks. Oh come on you have to try X, are you sure, why not, I'm just gonna get you a little anyway.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
My dad is one of those awful customers. He used to routinely embarrass us by bitching out the grocery store or restaurant manager (usually something like "those people got here after us but got their food first," never mind that there are two of them and they're having pasta while you ordered a well-done steak). Once, he proudly regaled us with a tale of him demanding that a cashier let him have first dibs on something she had reserved for herself, because "I'm the customer and I should be able to buy before you." He didn't even want what she was putting aside--it was little girls' clothes for her kid--he just resented the fact that she didn't make every goddamn thing at the store available to him before herself or other employees.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My dad is one of those awful customers. He used to routinely embarrass us by bitching out the grocery store or restaurant manager (usually something like "those people got here after us but got their food first," never mind that there are two of them and they're having pasta while you ordered a well-done steak). Once, he proudly regaled us with a tale of him demanding that a cashier let him have first dibs on something she had reserved for herself, because "I'm the customer and I should be able to buy before you." He didn't even want what she was putting aside--it was little girls' clothes for her kid--he just resented the fact that she didn't make every goddamn thing at the store available to him before herself or other employees.

Chronic Complainers, and their cousins, Sport Complainers like your dad should be subject to mild shock collars to correct their behavior.

I've posted about it before, but after a couple years living in this town, 95% of 4-way stop intersection encounters I have are still terrible. Like when there are 2 or more of us coming to it nearly at the same time, but the other guy just rolls instead of stopping. Rolling through is fine when you're alone, but you gotta stop to figure out who has the right of way! Or when someone to my left beats me to the stop, but just sits there because I'm on their right and they think it's my turn.

Also, no one here drives within 5 mph of the limit. It's either way over and they're behind me, or way under and they're in front of me. I just generally get pissed off driving. These things happen every time I drive - all the time!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a counter-pet-peeve of sorts, it annoys me when other people are passive-aggressively annoyed about inconsequential stuff other people do. A good example is the poster who complained about people relaxing on gym equipment. I guarantee that 95% of the time if they just went up to them and said "hey, do you mind if I use this equipment" the person would be totally fine with it. But instead they concoct this imaginary reality where the person is internally thinking "mwahahah I am a bad person and am actively trying to bother other people!" Generally speaking, you should always (within reason) assume the best about other people. I'm generally a pretty oblivious person, so I have a high tolerance for other people doing dumb or unintentionally inconsiderate stuff.

Of course, there are some things that don't really have any conceivable excuse (for example driving super slow in the fast lane; even if the person has some legitimate reason to drive slow, there's no reason for them not to be in the slow lane). But I'm completely willing to excuse stuff that could just be the result of someone making an honest mistake.

cash crab posted:

"utilize". SAY USE YOU loving WINDBAG

This also drives me crazy. There are many people who aren't particularly smart and don't have a very big vocabulary that still try to add syllables to the words they use to try and sound smarter, and "utilize" instead of "use" is a really good example. I also find that these same people sometimes say "more efficient" to refer to any situation where a thing is somehow better than another thing (i.e. "Fast Car is more efficient than Slow Car").

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My latest peeve is job hunting and the hoops you have to jump through to get some Government assistance. I have been applying for a lot of jobs that I normally wouldn't, because I'm required to apply for 20 a month. This ends up with a lot of rejection letters, which while I knew I wouldn't get the job, isn't good for the old ego!

Related, when you apply for something, and it takes the recruiters several weeks to get back to you. I enjoy receiving emails saying that I've progressed through to the first stage of their short list process, but by the time I get that email, I don't even remember what the job was.

And finally, when you get through all of the online testing and in-person interview, and they can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds calling you to let you know that you weren't successful. Or even sending an email. I really wanted that job, dammit :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lucrece posted:

And finally, when you get through all of the online testing and in-person interview, and they can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds calling you to let you know that you weren't successful. Or even sending an email. I really wanted that job, dammit :(

Eh, when you consider that you can have hundreds (at least) of people applying for the job, a 30 second call for each one would represent a hell of a lot of work. As for an e-mail, it seems like some companies do that while others don't.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Ytlaya posted:

This also drives me crazy. There are many people who aren't particularly smart and don't have a very big vocabulary that still try to add syllables to the words they use to try and sound smarter, and "utilize" instead of "use" is a really good example. I also find that these same people sometimes say "more efficient" to refer to any situation where a thing is somehow better than another thing (i.e. "Fast Car is more efficient than Slow Car").

I work with the most inept manager I have ever seen who is pretty much only in the business because he golf's with the ceo. In every other email he uses the word 'intimated'. As previously intimated. I have intimated this. What you intimated last time we spoke. It must be a word he heard somebody successful say once and now he's linked it to success. The more I say it the more successful I am!

Also another manager is big on attention to detail. If you miss a capital letters or have a table between a page break he will not be shy of letting you have it. If he misspells a client name? Oh he's just so busy, you have to understand.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Belatedly, I really don't mind if coworkers choose to date. I just find the stress and drama potential a bit much for me and I'm not sure I'm in a good mental state for dating.

Also, it feels weird to get a job rejection notice from... 2012. Thanks, guys.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Cowslips Warren posted:

nature is the loving hyena giving birth through its clitoris.

umm...how?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I work with the most inept manager I have ever seen who is pretty much only in the business because he golf's with the ceo. In every other email he uses the word 'intimated'. As previously intimated. I have intimated this. What you intimated last time we spoke. It must be a word he heard somebody successful say once and now he's linked it to success. The more I say it the more successful I am!

Also another manager is big on attention to detail. If you miss a capital letters or have a table between a page break he will not be shy of letting you have it. If he misspells a client name? Oh he's just so busy, you have to understand.

I'd let you have it for having a table split between a page break but that's just me. :v:

Still, double standards like that suck. Even better if your superior doesn't actually know what you're doing and still criticises you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In regards to food, I think I was on the opposite end for the cashier being a shitstain. So I went to McDonalds because gently caress it, I wanted some hot fries, and Monopoly was going on, and I was on a winning streak of more loving fries and smoothies. So I wait in line, am polite (maybe the dude thought I was being a bitch by saying please and thank you?), and asked for hot fries, and said I'd wait the 3-4 minutes for them, because I want hot fries, damnit. Some people say they want no-salt fries, what they really mean is steaming fresh. Dude took the cash and I waited. Now, this was during my work lunch so I was in uniform (which makes you keep on best behavior). Dude gives me the bag and off I go.

But I didn't open the bag and I should have. Because when I got outside the store I checked the bag and the fries were half cooked. Hey wait I got a large for the Monopoly piece too! No Monopoly container either. Well gently caress these fries. They were half limp and loving thawing in the center still. I was ready to head back inside and demand a refund or at least some real loving fries, but all I could see was some idiot filming me and me showing up on the news in uniform telling some McDonalds worker not to serve me half frozen food.

So I just threw it away and called it a lesson learned. Next time I'll be a bitch and will be as polite as the masses and throw the bag on the counter the next time they are loving thawing in the bag.

I'm all for giving those who handle food due respect, but poo poo service demands poo poo attitudes -- you should have called the restaurant when you had the chance and tell them exactly what happened, citing the number on the receipt and time of service. They'll go back and see who was on fry duty and, with luck, the fuckwit responsible will be written up. Just because one hates one's job doesn't give them the right to half-rear end it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aerofallosov posted:

Also, it feels weird to get a job rejection notice from... 2012. Thanks, guys.

Two weeks ago, I got a call from a temp agency I applied to in 2012 asking me if I wanted to keep my name on the list and if I was still available for work. Not only did they never call me a single solitary time after I applied with them, but I've had a great job for almost three years now.

Needless to say, I told them to gently caress off and remove me from their list.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, when you consider that you can have hundreds (at least) of people applying for the job, a 30 second call for each one would represent a hell of a lot of work. As for an e-mail, it seems like some companies do that while others don't.

A lot of companies have rigid policies in place regarding rejections that aim to minimize the risk of litigation. They'll usually just send out a basic form letter that the company's attorneys have reviewed to make sure it in no way can be interpreted as biased against any protected status, and avoid speaking directly with the applicant. This way, they have total control over exactly what is said to the rejected applicant, and can cite the rejection letter should an applicant decide he or she was passed up because of sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Two weeks ago, I got a call from a temp agency I applied to in 2012 asking me if I wanted to keep my name on the list and if I was still available for work. Not only did they never call me a single solitary time after I applied with them, but I've had a great job for almost three years now.

Needless to say, I told them to gently caress off and remove me from their list.

I sent an email to an alt weekly in September of 2014 asking if I could write about music for them on a freelance basis. I got an email back the following February saying "let me pass this along to our music editor." Then another month or so passed and I got one from the music guy saying to send him some of my clips. No thanks, dude! If you take half a year to respond to an inquiry, it doesn't exactly sound appealing to write for you!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cyberia posted:

This but for everything. Maybe I'm displaying some privilege I'm not aware of but seeing people completely mystified by poo poo like buying a train ticket or how to validate your ticket on a tram; how to pay for a ticket in a parking lot; how to order food at a food court; how to order a coffee at Starbucks. Just simple, basic, everyday interactions and transactions that I take completely for granted yet every day I see people just staring, slack-jawed and completely loving baffled by the situation they've found themselves in.

To be honest, I've bought like 3 train tickets in my life, and the last one was, 8 years ago so I don't remember how it went down. I imagine it's not too different from ordering anything. I sometimes wonder how these people who can't comprehend basic poo poo haven't managed to die in a freak accident while velcroing their shoes in the morning.

This also reminds me of my first job. I was 17 and worked in a theater, at the parking lot entrance there was a big old marquee that listed what was playing. There was another big marquee on the front of the building, and not only that there was one on all three sides of the box office, that not only listed what was playing, but the ratings and the show times. They get up to me, and ask me "what's playing?" :negative:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I applied to a job last August or September, and didn't hear back from them until this January.

In fairness they did have a pretty good excuse, which I learned when I actually got the job, and they've been fantastic to actually work for.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
PIzza with too much cheese.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I think I've bitched about this before, but why in the hell do people respond to craigslist postings asking for information that is in the posting? I'm gonna lose my marbles here. Why does this happen?

Car for sale
[photos here]
2000 Honda Civic
136,000 miles
runs great, no mechanical problems, new tires, Alpine head unit
big dent in door where some jerk backed into me
asking $1,000 OBO

And here come the emails and calls:

"How many miles does it have on it?"

"What's wrong with it"

"what color is it"

"How much you want for it?"

"are there any dents or anything"

"are the tires bald"

What the gently caress? :argh:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ozz81 posted:

Exactly this, just tell them what you want or don't want, it's not that difficult. A whole 30 seconds of your day taken up by saying "footlong Italian BMT on wheat with <toppings>, thanks" instead of making someone go through all the irritating guesswork.

Correct, but, when I go to, Qdoba (which I only go to because it's close to work, I wish there was a better place), I can say to them that I would like a chicken burrito. They will then only ask simple questions such as salsa or additional toppings if I want them. They never say "do you want chicken in your chicken burrito?"

Derail has gone on long enough. My apologies.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who harass me about the movie Superbad. Many people have done this. "Wait you DONT think Superbad is hilarious?" Dude I was high when I saw it and didn't find it funny.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think I've bitched about this before, but why in the hell do people respond to craigslist postings asking for information that is in the posting? I'm gonna lose my marbles here. Why does this happen?

Car for sale
[photos here]
2000 Honda Civic
136,000 miles
runs great, no mechanical problems, new tires, Alpine head unit
big dent in door where some jerk backed into me
asking $1,000 OBO

And here come the emails and calls:

"How many miles does it have on it?"

"What's wrong with it"

"what color is it"

"How much you want for it?"

"are there any dents or anything"

"are the tires bald"

What the gently caress? :argh:

I hate this so much. I had an apartment up for rent that had the location, bed/bath numbers, rent price, everything listed.

I stopped responding to people who asked questions that were already answered in the ad because if they couldn't even read a one paragraph long craiglist ad they weren't gonna read my lease so gently caress 'em. Same thing with people with atrocious spelling and grammar errors (not one or two misspelled words or missed punctuation/capitals here and there, but chat speak and a 3rd grader's sound-it-out attempts to spell common words), do you really want your potential new landlord's first impression of you being that you're functionally illiterate?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Some people are just really bad with talking/writing in general, though I feel it's worse when people think they're smarter than they actually are (i.e. it's okay for a dumb person to just use simple words, but not okay for them to try to pretend they have a broader vocabulary than they actually do).

My dad is obsessed with the word "profound." Literally everything that could otherwise be called "good and/or interesting" is profound. Every documentary he just finished watching is "profound." Regarding the documentary thing, he is actually a kind of interesting example of how the average person is affected by music/tone in media. As long as you have someone with a particular type of voice talking while it's accompanied by inspirational music, he will be convinced that it is the most "profound" thing ever. This is probably exacerbated by him smoking a lot of weed.

Actually, following from that last bit, another pet peeve of mine is people who are drunk/high trying to communicate with people who aren't. I have no problems with drinking/smoking/whatever in and of itself, but it definitely makes people bad at communicating with anyone who isn't also drunk/high. For some reason, some people seem to be under the illusion that they are actually "not that drunk" when they actually are, which confuses the hell out of me. I've never had any trouble telling when alcohol is impairing my ability to articulate things well, so it confuses me when other people aren't capable of the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Lucrece posted:

This ends up with a lot of rejection letters, which while I knew I wouldn't get the job, isn't good for the old ego!

I don't usually even get rejection e-mails anymore and when I did they either contained no feedback or just generic "your skills/experience do not match what we're looking for" even though the CV I submitted has been tailored to the advert.

Lucrece posted:

Related, when you apply for something, and it takes the recruiters several weeks to get back to you. I enjoy receiving emails saying that I've progressed through to the first stage of their short list process, but by the time I get that email, I don't even remember what the job was.

Same here. At one point I started saving the descriptions of jobs I applied for but I was very inconsistent in actually doing it and then stopped altogether when I switched from computer to tablet........and it's just occured to me while writing this that I could start using print screen on the adverts of the jobs I apply for since I often plug a keyboard in anyway. D'oh!

Lucrece posted:

The last piece of meaningful feedback I got was in 2009 and it told me what I already knew: that I hadn't answered the teamwork question well enough. They wanted to hear about some big loving teamwork project and I've never even encountered anything like that. I think it was a filing job that involved very little teamwork and no projects.