Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Annie is somewhat durable for a mage when she has her E up but very squishy without. What can trip you up is that she has a significantly shorter range on most of her abilities than most mages and no escapes, so she tends to take a lot of return damage on the approach or retreat if you don't kill them or close on a stun. You have to watch your positioning very closely when you have low range or lack of escapes and this goes double on a champion with both issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Oh you meant AS Annie. :saddowns: well don't I look silly now.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Thanks for both of the replies. That info was extremely helpful.

I need to learn more about items too, I'm definitely lacking there.

I definitely think the range was tripping me up. I'd go in to attack and be close enough to get snared and then burnt down, so it makes sense.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Oh you meant AS Annie. :saddowns: well don't I look silly now.

It still helped actually. Knowing what counters Annie was helpful.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

You're certain you want to see my pillar

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

metavisual posted:

I definitely think the range was tripping me up. I'd go in to attack and be close enough to get snared and then burnt down, so it makes sense.

It still helped actually. Knowing what counters Annie was helpful.

I can give you a general run-down on offensive stats and itemization if you don't really understand them.

Attack Damage lets marksmen, assassins, and other "hit you with my auto attack" dudes do more damage. Generally if you hit someone with a sword or throw something blunt/sharp at them it's used with an AD ratio (which means, the ability proportionately gets stronger with that stat). Ability Power is for magic dudes, generally mystical looking attacks like fire blasts, lightning, or explosions will have a ratio for it. Hover over an ability's icon and you will see how it scales by looking at the color

Attack Damage ratios are red and ability power ratios are green, in general. There are also other ratios but they vary between specific champions but the main ones are AD and AP.

Penetration is how much you ignore the respective Armor and Magic Resist with Armor Penetration and Magic Penetration. Flat penetration ignores a flat number of whatever armor the enemy built, while % penetration ignores a % of it. % applies before flat reduction so you get the most bang for your buck from both. Generally you want to pay attention to what the enemy is building for defenses and build penetration into your damage type if they start building what resists your damage type.

Critical Chance only works on auto attacks (save for a very few number of champions) and ONLY scales with Attack Damage. Generally squishy ranged marksmen build it because they auto attack a lot.

Lifesteal only works on auto attacks, and scales with attack damage dealt from auto attacks. Generally bruisers and marksmen build this stat because they auto attack the most. Spellvamp scales with abilities but only a few champions work well with it, generally the kind that do damage over time or have short cooldown abilities.

Generally starting out as a newbie you should follow recommended builds to a T. They only contain items with which the champion scales well. The more you play you will start to understand when an item is good to buy now over another choice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, white damage numbers means the ability does TRUE DAMAGE. TRUE DAMAGE completely ignores resists and will always deal the amount of damage no matter what. If you get hit by a red number that means you took physical damage, while a purple number means you got hit by a magic attack. Keep that in mind when you hit or get hit in the game.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 29, 2016

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

metavisual posted:

A huge part of learning this game (any moba really) is learning what every champion does and what the ranges for all their abilities are. Playing against a Xerath is very different from playing against a Diana for example. This is something that comes with experience, both playing against a champion but also playing as a champion.

I really recommend trying all the free champions at least once every week if you have the time for it. Every week there's a list of 10 champions that are free to use, it's a great way of trying out champions to see what you like, but also to learn how they work and how you can counter them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
How to get good at league of legends:

Play 2000+ games

Don't try to pimp your wits end Quinn support in the thread until you can 1v1 me verv or pubes (or kog)

Always use pro builds to pick out your items, tunes, and masteries

Ask a billion questions because we will pathetically answer all of them

Please ignore the ridiculous belt bra

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

NTT posted:

this is the key

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

This is all great info, and exactly what I needed. Thanks. Usually I can just look a bunch of stuff up and get going, but it seems while playing the game is easy, playing it right is a little more complicated, so I was getting overwhelmed pretty quick. I appreciate the help, I'm sure I will have more questions.

NTT posted:

Thanks! I will be ignoring the ridiculous belt bra...

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First here are the damage types

Physical Damage
- Reduced by armor
- Increased by armor penetration

Magical Damage
- Reduced by magic resist(mr)
- Increased by magic penetration
- A purple health bar is a shield that absorbs magic damage only

True Damage
- Can not be reduced in any way

Auto Attacks (AA)
- all champions have one, learning to use them properly is actually pretty tricky.
- Mostly deal physical damage (a few champs add a significant amount of magic damage)
- Damage per hit is increased by attack damage.
- Can critically strike dealing 100% bonus damage
- Benefit from critical chance(crit) and attack speed(aspd)
- Attack speed caps at 2.5 attacks per second for most champs
- Apply lifesteal

Abilities
- Have cooldowns which is shown by the number in the box
- Cooldowns can be reduced with cooldown reduction (cdr) which has a hard cap of 40%

All abilities deal damage with numbers being displayed in the box. Different colors mean different things

Blue - Base damage of the ability (read the description for damage type)
White - True damage
Green - Ability power (AP) scaling (This doesn't mean the ability deals magic damage)
Orange - Attack damage (AD) scaling (This doesn't mean the ability deals physical damage)
Red - Health scaling
Yellow - Armor scaling
Purple - Magic resistance scaling

Champion types (may be obsolete next patch)
Marksman - Generally auto attack from a distance. Want AD, crit, and aspd
Mage - cast spells. Want AP and cdr.
Tanks - Take damage. Want health, armor, and mr
Fighters - Fight mans. Want a mix of offensive and defensive stats
Assassins - These are a little tricky and somewhat variable

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

NTT posted:

Always use pro builds to pick out your items, tunes, and masteries

Clearly pro builds should add in which songs pros listen to so we can improve by completely getting into their mindset while playing

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've played thousands of games and I still forget the color scaling on tooltip and a lot of time just open the wiki on a second monitor if I can't remember what is what. The detail of information (including the percent scaling on ability) should just be baked into the base tooltip information.

I also routinely forget the passives of champions I have over 100 games on.

Tooltip reading is clearly my worst skill.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

Champion types (may be obsolete next patch)
Marksman - Generally auto attack from a distance. Want AD, crit, and aspd
Mage - cast spells. Want AP and cdr.
Tanks - Take damage. Want health, armor, and mr
Fighters - Fight mans. Want a mix of offensive and defensive stats
Assassins - These are a little tricky and somewhat variable

This is helpful! I was reading about the meta and how it changes, but each champion isn't best suited to a specific role right? (or they are to a degree?)

I got the feeling it was like mage/marksman for mid, and tank for top but then I wasn't sure after reading more.
I've basically just played mid a whole bunch with Ashe or Annie since it seemed the most accessible for someone new.

rafq
Jul 12, 2006

metavisual posted:

This is helpful! I was reading about the meta and how it changes, but each champion isn't best suited to a specific role right? (or they are to a degree?)

I got the feeling it was like mage/marksman for mid, and tank for top but then I wasn't sure after reading more.
I've basically just played mid a whole bunch with Ashe or Annie since it seemed the most accessible for someone new.

The most common setup is a fighter/tank top lane, fighter/tank jungle, mage/assassin mid lane, and duo marksman and support bot lane. These definitely aren't set in stone, though - you'll see a decent amount of stuff like Corki mid, Graves jungle or top, and so on.

Some champs have a single dominant role, while others can play multiple roles. It really just depends on the champ, and it can change over time as the meta shifts. Annie, for example, used to be a popular support, but now she's probably most popular (and strongest) as a mid laner.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libertine posted:

I've played thousands of games and I still forget the color scaling on tooltip and a lot of time just open the wiki on a second monitor if I can't remember what is what. The detail of information (including the percent scaling on ability) should just be baked into the base tooltip information.

I also routinely forget the passives of champions I have over 100 games on.

Tooltip reading is clearly my worst skill.

Every ARAM game is like I'm playing the game for the first time.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Please don't play Corki.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

metavisual posted:

General Meta:

Top - Tank, Fighter, Assassin (someone with good use of Teleport or can 1v1 very well)
Jungle - Tank, Fighter, a select few Mages or Marksmen work here too
Mid - Assassin, Mage, some marksmen. Generally more immobile champions go here as well as champions with strong wave clearing and ganking.

Bot Lane:
Marksman (ADC) - Ranged auto attacker that is weak early but scales into a powerful DPS machine later in the game as it buys more items
Support - Works with the marksman in bottom lane to defeat the enemy bottom lane (or keep their lane safe). Generally works well with minimum gold intake

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

metavisual posted:

Is there a thread for new people? I literally just started playing, and I feel like I have a bunch of dumb questions, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with dumb questions about how not to get two-shotted with Annie.

Here's my serious tip for you: Don't ever blame your teammates for any loss. It doesn't matter what happened, who D/Cd and who fed. Don't ever think you're good or better than you are, it's a quick route to get mad at the game for not getting you the rank you deserve, and it's also bad if you actually want to learn how to get better. Be ready for the real possibility you'll be a Bronze 5 (the lowest tier) forever and don't get stressed over it.

Honestly just apply this to every PVP game ever.

Also:

Verviticus posted:

most of the people higher ranked than me are also bad at the game, along with me

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 29, 2016

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How Rude posted:

General Meta:

Top - Tank, Fighter, Assassin (someone with good use of Teleport or can 1v1 very well)
Jungle - Tank, Fighter, a select few Mages or Marksmen work here too
Mid - Assassin, Mage, some marksmen. Generally more immobile champions go here as well as champions with strong wave clearing and ganking.

Bot Lane:
Marksman (ADC) - Ranged auto attacker that is weak early but scales into a powerful DPS machine later in the game as it buys more items
Support - Works with the marksman in bottom lane to defeat the enemy bottom lane (or keep their lane safe). Generally works well with minimum gold intake

There are, generally speaking, reasons for this set up, too. Midlane has immobile mages because the line of scrimmage is closer to towers and assassins because they can easily wander around the map to exert influence. The dragon means that the lower half of the map is a little more important for early influence, which is why the duo lane is bot and not top. Because Top is removed from that early objective, they tend to do their own thing for a bit longer than other lanes, which makes some sustain important. The isolation also is the reason they most frequently take teleport, which in turn, makes good ability to make ganks (or splitpush) valuable a top laner. Top is probably the single most flexible role though. Tanks get thrown up there a lot, but it isn't horribly uncommon to see casters (morgana), ADCs (Quinn), or champions that make the other player want to rage quit (Teemo, Heimerdinger) take the top lane.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

Here's my serious tip for you: Don't ever blame your teammates for any loss. It doesn't matter what happened, who D/Cd and who fed. Don't ever think you're good or better than you are, it's a quick route to get mad at the game for not getting you the rank you deserve, and it's also bad if you actually want to learn how to get better. Be ready for the real possibility you'll be a Bronze 5 (the lowest tier) forever and don't get stressed over it.

Honestly just apply this to every PVP game ever.

Also:

Yeah, I typically don't get mad at games. I've read all this poo poo about people being toxic in the league community and what not, but I hadn't seen it, until I played a match the other night, (Mind you, it was a loving bot match...) and within 5 minutes, 2 guys (and then 3) were arguing about who was better and telling each other to KYS and poo poo, and it was loving ridiculous..while me and the one other guy just powered through and finished the match. I mean, one of the guys, every time he would show up as support and kill or assist killing a champion he'd type in chat..."YW!" It got sort of absurd after a while...

It was sort of ridiculous, but I've seen it in a million other games too. I just want to play. I don't care if I'm poo poo tier. I stopped being really competitive at games ages ago.
(UT99 Proving Grounds ladder era...and even then, I still sucked...)

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Me: I'm skeptical but go ahead.

Palm Reader: This line here says you suck loving poo poo at league of legends.

Me: :monocle:

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

I don't know if this has already been mentioned as a basic tip for people just starting out: auto-attacks on enemy champions in lane make their minions attack you, abilities however, do not.
This is rather important as the damage from minions really add up if you keep fighting the enemy without backing out of minion attack range after you attack someone.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

metavisual posted:

I just started literally this week. I've been playing bot games, up to intermediate now, I've been mainly playing mid with either Ashe or Annie and I've been doing okay I guess.
I just feel like I was getting leveled with Annie last night any time there was another champion around.

Is Annie just squishy and that's something I have to learn to deal with or Is there some sort of trick to survivability aside of running back to behind a turret?

Also any sort of hints or tips or anything will be helpful. There is a lot of loving information, I'm just starting to understand all the terminology. (Closest I've played is Warcraft 3, so I understand how to move and all that, but that's about it).

I don't think intermediate bots give you more XP or IP than beginners, if that's what you're after. If you're just looking for experience, that's fine

Watch this before you get into player games so you understand the meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAsrCy8Dug

Also, watch lots of pro player streams on Twitch and find youtube videos from Diamond/Master/Challenger players so you can learn good habits

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Honestly my man just play whoever you want where ever you want right now to just get familiar with poo poo, and then start to worry about all the other stuff like lane assignments. People are going to link you 2 hour long videos about boring poo poo like "trading posture" or whatever when you literally started playing a couple days ago. Just have fun for now and worry about more indepth stuff when you're closer to 30

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

henkman posted:

Honestly my man just play whoever you want where ever you want right now to just get familiar with poo poo, and then start to worry about all the other stuff like lane assignments.

Yep. The best thing you can do as a beginner is find a champion you like and then play the poo poo out of it. Once you are comfortable with that champion you can start relaxing during the game and learning the higher level stuff.

RYang
Dec 5, 2012

AHH FUGH posted:

I don't think intermediate bots give you more XP or IP than beginners, if that's what you're after.

They do if you're level 10 or above.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

All of this makes perfect sense. Thanks. It seems so overwhelming at first, so this stuff definitely has me on the right track.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oh also the most important part of starting out - and I actually believe this - is to play with someone you know and can talk to. If you can get on Skype/TS/Curse/Discord/whatever, you'll have way more fun and learn way better if you can shoot the bull or ask questions about what's happening.

I am 100% convinced I would never have gotten to level 30 if I hadn't had a group of people to play with more or less every night.

EDIT: Or goons. Post your summoner name is basically what we're saying here.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 29, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a really good point. I know some people who prefer to play solo but I vastly favor playing with friends.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

metavisual posted:

I just started literally this week. I've been playing bot games, up to intermediate now, I've been mainly playing mid with either Ashe or Annie and I've been doing okay I guess.
I just feel like I was getting leveled with Annie last night any time there was another champion around.

Is Annie just squishy and that's something I have to learn to deal with or Is there some sort of trick to survivability aside of running back to behind a turret?

Also any sort of hints or tips or anything will be helpful. There is a lot of loving information, I'm just starting to understand all the terminology. (Closest I've played is Warcraft 3, so I understand how to move and all that, but that's about it).

Basically what's your league name

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Spiros posted:

Think of it in terms of early game and late/post game regarding blitz. You get grabs on defenseless adcs with limited mobility early and that can be an early kill you can snowball with. Late game you grab the right person before the big 5v5 and suddenly your team has a HUGE advantage at the most important time.

Blitz exists for those key Amumu pulls into your team late game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Where's my earthbender Riot??

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im glad the mage patch isnt next week so i can play overwatch instead

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
This is pretty interesting. It's an exhaustive review of champions by difficulty by a current CLG analyst:

quote:

The following slideshows are image intensive, and I don’t want League of Legends to be the reason you run out of data this month. If possible, please read it on WiFi or a PC. Don’t forget to view it in presentation mode to see the nifty animations. Without further ado...
Part I (Aatrox - Irelia)
Part II (Janna - Pantheon)
Part III (Poppy - Thresh)
Part IV (Tristana - Zyra)

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Prokhor posted:

Basically what's your league name

Metavisual -

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/125872

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion posted:

This is pretty interesting. It's an exhaustive review of champions by difficulty by a current CLG analyst:

drat that's some massive task he undertook.

I don't find Zyra's mechanics as hard as Vayne's or Yasuo's but I might be very biased here.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I'm ThePeavstenator btw if some goons want to add me too. I learned most of what I know about Dota from goons.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

metavisual posted:

Yeah, I typically don't get mad at games. I've read all this poo poo about people being toxic in the league community and what not, but I hadn't seen it, until I played a match the other night, (Mind you, it was a loving bot match...) and within 5 minutes, 2 guys (and then 3) were arguing about who was better and telling each other to KYS and poo poo, and it was loving ridiculous..while me and the one other guy just powered through and finished the match. I mean, one of the guys, every time he would show up as support and kill or assist killing a champion he'd type in chat..."YW!" It got sort of absurd after a while...

It was sort of ridiculous, but I've seen it in a million other games too. I just want to play. I don't care if I'm poo poo tier. I stopped being really competitive at games ages ago.
(UT99 Proving Grounds ladder era...and even then, I still sucked...)

The issue is not you getting mad. The issue is almost always someone else getting mad at you, and telling you that you're a loving idiot, and they only died because you did not do something, and you not responding to that to defend yourself.

That is how toxic occurs in this game. It's not you getting mad because something bad happened (generally). It's you responding to someone else's snippy little bullshit comment about how you need to gank more, or not extend so much, or whatever. When you respond and debate it, that's what kicks the anthill over.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
just put "hehe xD" after the end of anything you say and you can just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I am new and bad as well, but I kind of like this game.

Also, I am not bad with Malphite for some reason, once I figured out that it is OK to hide under your tower if your are being pushed a ranged champion in lane. That ult!

• Locked thread