Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

surc posted:

I will probably never understand you, but in an attempt to, do you not find the challenge of playing against people at a similar skill level fun and interesting?

Hopefully not a dickish humblebrag - I don't think too much of my skill, especially in CS:GO... but I reached the highest level I could possibly get in CS and other FPS' many years ago (won money at tournaments, flown around and all of that poo poo) and if I wanted to get any higher I would have to make it a full time job. I reached global in GO and from that point on I kind of said gently caress it as far as my skill goes. I kinda suck now and don't really have the drive or time to put in the work to get back to being good. I also have a job that pays well that I'm happy with, hence the buying accounts. Reiterating: I don't consider myself very good at CS anymore.

I think that answers your question a little.

edit: also again I enjoy playing with our stupid little goon group

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I found a group that does 10 mans and the games I've played with them were awesome. They're all very high ranked guys but they were very chill and called some detailed strats which were fun to execute. I especially enjoyed the part where one of my teammates went "he's in palace and a pretty good awper so let me go first and you can get the trade" so we coordinated our push into palace and I got the trade.

So so so much better than MM where the only strat anyone has ever called was "let's just rush all together."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Garfu posted:

Hopefully not a dickish humblebrag - I don't think too much of my skill, especially in CS:GO... but I reached the highest level I could possibly get in CS and other FPS' many years ago (won money at tournaments, flown around and all of that poo poo) and if I wanted to get any higher I would have to make it a full time job. I reached global in GO and from that point on I kind of said gently caress it as far as my skill goes. I kinda suck now and don't really have the drive or time to put in the work to get back to being good. I also have a job that pays well that I'm happy with, hence the buying accounts. Reiterating: I don't consider myself very good at CS anymore.

Heh what you don't want your hobby to become a 12 hour a day job so that you can make money? What the gently caress is wrong with you. This right here is why I stopped caring all that much, won some tournaments in another FPS, came to CS and did some middling stuff, local chicago LANs etc, but god drat the amount of effort you put in makes you hate the game (not quite true, but pretty drat close)

But seriously, who cares, have fun doing whatever, you paid money to have fun(bought the game), do whatever you want to have that fun.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

MF_James posted:

Heh what you don't want your hobby to become a 12 hour a day job so that you can make money? What the gently caress is wrong with you. This right here is why I stopped caring all that much, won some tournaments in another FPS, came to CS and did some middling stuff, local chicago LANs etc, but god drat the amount of effort you put in makes you hate the game (not quite true, but pretty drat close)

But seriously, who cares, have fun doing whatever, you paid money to have fun(bought the game), do whatever you want to have that fun.

i just watched State of Play a couple weeks ago, it's a really good documentary that pursues this angle a lot. it follows three Brood War players (superstar Jaedong, a semi-pro, and an aspiring amateur) but the game itself barely features. what really stands out is that the only time you see anyone having fun is when the team are playing soccer in the park. they're usually stressed, disappointed, depressed, robotically practicing, or receiving abuse from their families.

it's free on amazon prime, in korean w/ subtitles obviously.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Wow a red bizon skin? Get the hell out.

Another really bad aug skin, go figure.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xenaero posted:

Wow a red bizon skin? Get the hell out.

Another really bad aug skin, go figure.
I think the M4A1 and UMP are quite lovely, though, so that makes up for those. Also, can't go wrong with another Asiimov.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ugh, I peaked and got promoted to DMG, now I'm in a trough hard. feel like I'm negative KDR almost every game and having no impact. Worst part is that all the drilling on reflex aim map and the like doesn't seem to be transferring into real game at all.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Garfu posted:

What he really means is that he's willing to reup esea and pug with me.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MF_James posted:

I can't post :goonsay: enough. What a cringe-worthy post.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Smol posted:

Wow, dustmouret has really been gaining weight.

I think he mentioned somewhere he's dealing with depression - that tends to do it.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Ya I'd be depressed too if I was that fat

Anyone seen how bulked up semphis is after quitting C9?

sleppy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2016

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Garfu posted:

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense then. I just play casual instead of comp, and complain about valve killing community servers by stealing the community to MM and casual. I guess smurfing can be another form of that. Thanks for answering seriously, I feel mildly enlightened :)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

All skins peaked at the Ump Bone Pile

stump collector
May 28, 2007

sleppy posted:

Anyone seen how bulked up semphis is after quitting C9?

he's returning to his original form

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

All skins peaked at the Ump Bone Pile nova walnut

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

Famethrowa posted:

did I carry you a few days ago/tilt your entire team by taunting them repeatedly?

was dragonlore a dumbass streamer?

Dunno. My steam alias is ChAoS, and I don't see your forum name on any of my last 8 scoreboards (if you were even being serious). I don't think any of the dragonlore guys have been streamers though. Even in losses lately I haven't had bad vibes teams at least.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So ya'll can use the right version of peak here but when you're in game you can't use peek, wth smh fml bbq

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rosh posted:

Dunno. My steam alias is ChAoS, and I don't see your forum name on any of my last 8 scoreboards (if you were even being serious). I don't think any of the dragonlore guys have been streamers though. Even in losses lately I haven't had bad vibes teams at least.

100% serious, but you weren't in my game. Same thing happened, GN1 game with my whole drat team gawking over his Dragonlore and dumb knife collection.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

Famethrowa posted:

100% serious, but you weren't in my game. Same thing happened, GN1 game with my whole drat team gawking over his Dragonlore and dumb knife collection.

It's incredibly annoying. They also liked picking it up as soon as the guy would die but they were all terrible with the awp.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mcvey posted:

I smurfed a couple of times but felt bad afterwards and never did it again, can't remember the account details either.

you're good people mcvey

btw I never understood the smurfs who say "oh you can learn from being poo poo on". Surely if that were the case, the smurfs would buy boosted accounts so they could get poo poo on and get better

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dex_sda posted:

btw I never understood the smurfs who say "oh you can learn from being poo poo on". Surely if that were the case, the smurfs would buy boosted accounts so they could get poo poo on and get better
Also, you're not going to learn anything from a guy who exclusively uses the Deagle and relies on raw aim to carry a team.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Getting poo poo on can help you get better. But ya know what helps even more. Playing with good players who help you make decisions tell you when/why to do something when watching kill cam. Take Spiros for example. I'm sure he hates me because I'm an idiot when it comes to this game. But I at least try to listen to him when he was coaching our team or is on our team. Even if he does make fun of me and hurts the feels :( But, he's taking the time to tell me why I'm an idot when he's not saying that I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. Which is mostly true. I WAS WATCHING CONNECTOR GODDAMMIT!

On the other hand I feel really appreciative to good vibes Ixtlilton. I feel he wants me to get better. I feel bad when I play like poo poo but he for the most part puts up with it and says next time X. Learn smoke Y so we can do Z.

Point being. Getting poo poo on takes 10x longer to get better then practicing and being coached.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sterster posted:

On the other hand I feel really appreciative to good vibes Ixtlilton. I feel he wants me to get better. I feel bad when I play like poo poo but he for the most part puts up with it and says next time X. Learn smoke Y so we can do Z.

Point being. Getting poo poo on takes 10x longer to get better then practicing and being coached.

Ix made me the man I am today. Brought me from Silver to Nova so I can regularly disappoint him. Any newbie looking to get good should queue with him.

Also we saw Murder By Death together and it was pretty sweet.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
team good vibes wins again

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Faffel posted:

I've got a 5-digit ID and nobody ever bugs me about it. Maybe twice in all my time playing CSGO. Wonder why you're all so popular.

I've got 34xx and the ID itself probably isn't worth more than thirty bucks.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jeza posted:

I only ever smurfed with my terrible friend so we could play together, and I've never really understood going to the lengths of leveling new accounts just to poo poo on bad people. But I can tell you that you can run circles around people with a MAG-7 and feel like a god, which I can see why people might find appealing.

MF_James posted:

smurf with a gimmick, mine was deagle only, then my smurf got to the same rank as my main :(

exactly both of these things

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also this week marked my first intentional MM wallbangs in cache b site -> connector, d2 cat -> A site boxes and more surprisingly mirage cat -> apts

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sterster posted:

Getting poo poo on can help you get better. But ya know what helps even more. Playing with good players who help you make decisions tell you when/why to do something when watching kill cam. Take Spiros for example. I'm sure he hates me because I'm an idiot when it comes to this game. But I at least try to listen to him when he was coaching our team or is on our team. Even if he does make fun of me and hurts the feels :( But, he's taking the time to tell me why I'm an idot when he's not saying that I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. Which is mostly true. I WAS WATCHING CONNECTOR GODDAMMIT!

right

my point is a lot of smurfs use "but you can learn well that way so you should be grateful to me, nerd!!!" to excuse ruining at least 5, and possibly 9 people's time, when it's comparable to telling a dude the best way to learn basic algebra is to keep taking the final calculus exam

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 29, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

qhat posted:

I've got 34xx and the ID itself probably isn't worth more than thirty bucks.

back in the day you could have sold that steam id for a couple hundred to a CAL pro.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Got headshots thru smoke on d2 b tunnels on three separate instances and got called a cheater the rest of the game
Also pulled off a ninja

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I've pulled off a few ninjas in my time

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
if anything its absolutely worth it for the morale boost your team gets

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Not to mention the morale boost of the ninja

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Is GN3 some sort of pseudo silver hell or what, almost every goddamn game today and yesterday is full pants on head level.

apostasy.
Feb 15, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

Ugh, I peaked and got promoted to DMG, now I'm in a trough hard. feel like I'm negative KDR almost every game and having no impact. Worst part is that all the drilling on reflex aim map and the like doesn't seem to be transferring into real game at all.

don't know about your experience but i play at smfc/global rank and esea and have been having similar problems progressing until recently. what helped most was forcing myself to check and hold angles better - put the effort into getting your crosshair where it needs to be at any angle an enemy could be all the time in dm, aim maps and comp and your aim will improve drastically as your mouse will begin feel a lot less foreign to you. you probably think you do this well but in my case i tend to zone out, choke when people actually peek corners, half-heartedly check poo poo and get shot in the back etc

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

apostasy. posted:

don't know about your experience but i play at smfc/global rank and esea and have been having similar problems progressing until recently. what helped most was forcing myself to check and hold angles better - put the effort into getting your crosshair where it needs to be at any angle an enemy could be all the time in dm, aim maps and comp and your aim will improve drastically as your mouse will begin feel a lot less foreign to you. you probably think you do this well but in my case i tend to zone out, choke when people actually peek corners, half-heartedly check poo poo and get shot in the back etc

This also means to significantly slow down, at first, correct? I'm realizing I'm over peeking and missing corners because I'm trying to rush through the motions instead of really clearing angles.

apostasy.
Feb 15, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

This also means to significantly slow down, at first, correct? I'm realizing I'm over peeking and missing corners because I'm trying to rush through the motions instead of really clearing angles.

it's hard at any level to rush sites and clear all the angles effectively and you should obviously be checking what your teammates aren't but yeah, pick angles, canvas them as carefully as possible so that you actually hit the shot on the guy you anticipate peeking when he peeks and afk on a good post plant angle

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I've been trying different pistol round buys lately. what do people think of p250, smoke, flash? If your team is buying armor, should you do the same or get a gun and/or nades to mix things up, and vice versa?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ArmZ posted:

I've been trying different pistol round buys lately. what do people think of p250, smoke, flash? If your team is buying armor, should you do the same or get a gun and/or nades to mix things up, and vice versa?

Depends on what side you are on, what site you are holding, what map it is...

That buy is pretty decent if you are holding a close angle on CT side, especially since T's will usually be buying armor. Though, glocks are really inaccurate and picking them off from a distance, when possible, with a USP is optimal.

On T side it depends on your team. If you are coordinated I like the raid boss setup, one guy buys armor and is given a tec9, one or two buys smokes and flash, rest buy armor only.

If not, I usually just buy armor, since the glock is a garbage gun and you have to be close up.

henne posted:

Ct: kit+p250

I hate aimpunch so much, but considering the rounds I've lost lately where we killed T's but didn't get the bomb, I need to start sucking it up and doing this buy. :sigh:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Ct: kit+p250 or Kevlar

T: Kevlar or smoke+2 flashes

I only get grenades t side if we have a plan as a team, ct buy depends more on where I'm playing than anything else. Long range = Kevlar to fight aim punch from glocks.