Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Having watched Maguire's press conference, I'm quite impressed by him as a coach. He was magnanimous in defeat and very even-handed in doling out praise and contempt as required. A nice change from the usual NRL coach patheticness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Jarrod Croker is probably going to break the Raiders point scoring record either this week or next. Thats pretty crazy considering he is only 25.

He needs nine points

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Honestly, I'm shocked he's that young. In my mind he's at least 31.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He has been playing since he was like 19 and has a very worried old looking face.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Drint Blasters posted:

Jeez, what's going on here? Been out of the loop for the last couple days as apparently NRL news isn't all that important in Victoria.
Initial knee jerk thought was suicide attempt.

Apparently it has something to do with his partner being unfaithful and/or him testing positive for cocaine

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

quote:

Six Warriors players have been stood down from Sunday's game after they breached team protocol with a night out.

Stuff understands Ben Matulino, Manu Vatuvei, Bodene Thompson, Konrad Hurrell and Sam Lisone went out for a big night in town in Auckland, taking along Albert Vete as a designated driver. All six have been dropped to reserve grade instead of playing against the Dragons on Sunday.

Yay, just what we needed after the Storm loss.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good, players need a kick up the rear end

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That is very late Furner era canberra that kind of nonsense. I know footy players are dumb but that kind of thing is pretty bad.

I was reading about this football operations salary cap and it will make it harder for clubs to fire coaches. At the moment broke clubs struggle to fire coaches because they cant afford the payout. Right now a reasonable wealthy club like the Raiders can sign Stuart for a billion years because they can just afford to pay him out. Under the proposed system it wouldnt be that easy. It would give clubs an excuse to stick with a poorly performing coach.

So basically my question is if it is coming in for 2017 and the Warriors sack McFadden (I dont know how long he has on his contract) or the Tigers sack Taylor is the NRL going to say well fair enough this was before it was introduced so we will pretend this dead money isnt here. Secondly what are clubs that would be clearly over going to do. The Storm and Broncos have their coaches on contracts. Does the NRL expect the Broncos to fire people under contract because they still have to pay them out ? Is this just a do your best type of thing like when the salary cap was first introduced and the NSWRL barely punished the Raiders who went over in the first year ?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Now you have to wonder, will sacking McFadden fix the obvious culture problem at the Warriors? What a massive kick in the nuts for any Warriors fan

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

cpaf posted:

Now you have to wonder, will sacking McFadden fix the obvious culture problem at the Warriors? What a massive kick in the nuts for any Warriors fan

They've made some positive changes off the field that makes me feel confident in the club long term but really think they need to throw some money at a proven coach that the players respect.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Considering the possibility I was wrong about the bro culture :negative:

At least nobody got arrested or caused any problems for anyone else and they even had a sober driver but still this pisses all over the fans after that loss on the weekend. Thought we might've seen Lauiti'ti in first grade but they're talking about Palavi & Sipley coming in instead.

Vatuvei is supposedly a senior loving player and I thought Bodene had more sense about him than that.

re: Foran, there are rumours going around that his recently born child is actually fathered by an ex Manly team mate. Hope he's doing ok, the fact that he's in hospital leads to some pretty scary conclusions.

Man we're so hosed for the ANZAC test.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Thought we might've seen Lauiti'ti in first grade

re: Foran, there are rumours going around that his recently born child is actually fathered by an ex Manly team mate. Hope he's doing ok, the fact that he's in hospital leads to some pretty scary conclusions.

I totally forget we signed him! How has he done in the reserves?

Also that's awful news about Foran. I'm impressed he didn't glass his wife/gf and assault the other guy involved like every other league player would

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tedesco fractured his shoulder

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I totally forget we signed him! How has he done in the reserves?

Also that's awful news about Foran. I'm impressed he didn't glass his wife/gf and assault the other guy involved like every other league player would

I haven't seen him yet but judging by match reports he's been really good, made the team of the round a few times. We get all 3 grades on Sky this Sunday so will definitely watch our suddenly very stacked NSW Cup side.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

At least nobody got arrested or caused any problems for anyone else and they even had a sober driver but still this pisses all over the fans after that loss on the weekend. Thought we might've seen Lauiti'ti in first grade but they're talking about Palavi & Sipley coming in instead.

Vatuvei is supposedly a senior loving player and I thought Bodene had more sense about him than that.

Agree with all of this. Hurrell should be sent packing, I'm really sick of his poo poo. Manu might not be too far behind, he was partying with Hurrell at a concert late last year too. Matulino and Thompson better learn from this, they've been two of our best this year and should be acting like leaders in the club.

I would prefer to have Lauiti'ti over Lousi or Palavi. Sipley makes a bit of sense, he has been making a name for himself at U20 level and will eventually get a shot at first grade, but I wasn't expecting that to be until next year.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ugh that's right, Sione loving Lousi. I think I mentally blocked him out of my mind. Yeah Matulino also should know way loving better than this too.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Only 2 forward passes in that try.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Tedesco fractured his shoulder

Well, we're going to need to prove we're not a one man team now... :suicide:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Man we're so hosed for the ANZAC test.

As I said earlier, maybe it's the players, not the coaches.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Given the Foran drama, the dog loving king returns and nary an eyelid was batted.

Mind you hard to get excited when newy is playing.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Given the Foran drama, the dog loving king returns and nary an eyelid was batted.

Mind you hard to get excited when newy is playing.

The commentators were enough into Mitchell Pearce to make up for the rest of us.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
opposite injured players always come back when we are playing

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The refs got that field goal call wrong imo. After the rule change at the start of the year players arent supposed to loiter around the play the ball in a wall any more to block off field goal attempts. Even if Merrin didnt make contact with vaughan its a clear penalty.

Oh well we had a million chances to win.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that there was a lot of talk about that being illegal. Good to see the goldfish are as reliable as ever.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

They've always swallowed their whistle in field goal situations, historically it's been the other way with offside defenders. Warriors got screwed out of 3 wins in Stacey Jones' last season because of that bullshit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

They've always swallowed their whistle in field goal situations, historically it's been the other way with offside defenders. Warriors got screwed out of 3 wins in Stacey Jones' last season because of that bullshit.

It was you guys blocking the roosters that brought in the rule change

Its a black and white rule now days. Players arent allowed to form a wall at thr play the ball that cuts off the most direct path to the kicker. Very vexing

The bunker probably just forgot the new rule.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I guess this is what it feels like when inexplicable ref decisions go your team's way and then you capitalise straight after. I like it better this way around.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I guess this is what it feels like when inexplicable ref decisions go your team's way and then you capitalise straight after. I like it better this way around.

Don't get used to it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Some peak warrior-ing at the moment.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Both teams have been horrendous.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Both teams have been horrendous.

I tuned in early in the second half and my first thought was "Am I watching Holden Cup or NRL?". It was p. bad.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The commentators are mystified at why the Storm have used so few players in their history and have had such low turnover.

Apparently nobody remembers the salary cap kerfuffle a while back.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

iajanus posted:

The commentators are mystified at why the Storm have used so few players in their history and have had such low turnover.

Apparently nobody remembers the salary cap kerfuffle a while back.

I can't hear the commentators over the ref's heavy breathing

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

So many mistakes. gently caress, it's not that wet.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

Some peak warrior-ing at the moment.

Winning was nice, but I really get the feeling a big part of that was the Dragons being poo poo. We had a lot of reserve graders playing today, a competent team would have destroyed us.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

Winning was nice, but I really get the feeling a big part of that was the Dragons being poo poo. We had a lot of reserve graders playing today, a competent team would have destroyed us.

The upside is that we won without those players so hopefully they know they're no irreplaceable and start performing

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Some Sunday afternoon beastiality on channel 9, horse getting hosed by cronulla

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress is happening in the sharks broncs game

hope sharks put 50 on them

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Broncos playing like garbage. Granted, thwy haven't had a lot of ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't like this new reality where the Sharks are good. They'd better not win the loving cup and ruin all our jokes about them being abject failures.

• Locked thread