Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speaking of America, how different is the British version of a CV from a resume, aside from length? Got contacted by a multinational based in the UK and they requested one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

psydude posted:

Speaking of America, how different is the British version of a CV from a resume, aside from length? Got contacted by a multinational based in the UK and they requested one.

Not very? At least I've written both (British guy who's worked in both the US and Britain) and it's been the same structure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

alg posted:

Workers rights actually own.

Yeah...assuming you're the worker in this scenario and not, like, a CEO, why is 'this country has more workers' rights' bad? :psyduck: Having rights is good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Big meeting first thing this morning and the CFO is bitching that not enough people are going to the company cookout this weekend. He asked what he needs to do to get more people to attend stuff and since nobody was answering I decided to chime in and say "More people would attend these things if they were during business hours."

He shot me a dirty look and changed the subject.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good luck on your new job.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah honestly, why does some small percentage of the population not get that? I have a wife and a kid, and I get 2 days a week to shirk all commitments. Why would I go to a work function on my time off? And it has nothing to do with like or dislike of these people, you just have to understand where my priorities lie.

My wife's last company, the boss used to love to do these "team building" dinners once a month, and like 3 or 4 out of a team of 25 would show up, because you know what, at 7pm, I gotta take my kid to a thing, or have dinner with my family, or really any of 3,700 other things that are not sit at TGI Friday's with my coworkers. (I have to use my wife's company as an example, because my own company isn't interested in team building DURING work hours, much less outside of them, ba dum cha...)

I don't think it's a lot of people, call it 2% or whatever you like, but those 2% really need to understand that.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sickening posted:

Big meeting first thing this morning and the CFO is bitching that not enough people are going to the company cookout this weekend. He asked what he needs to do to get more people to attend stuff and since nobody was answering I decided to chime in and say "More people would attend these things if they were during business hours."

Is that guy a moron or is that just the general expectation of C level people

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah honestly, why does some small percentage of the population not get that? I have a wife and a kid, and I get 2 days a week to shirk all commitments. Why would I go to a work function on my time off? And it has nothing to do with like or dislike of these people, you just have to understand where my priorities lie.

My wife's last company, the boss used to love to do these "team building" dinners once a month, and like 3 or 4 out of a team of 25 would show up, because you know what, at 7pm, I gotta take my kid to a thing, or have dinner with my family, or really any of 3,700 other things that are not sit at TGI Friday's with my coworkers. (I have to use my wife's company as an example, because my own company isn't interested in team building DURING work hours, much less outside of them, ba dum cha...)

I don't think it's a lot of people, call it 2% or whatever you like, but those 2% really need to understand that.
Mandatory fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

crunk dork posted:

C levels are just weird beings. First of all, almost all C levels live off the company in more ways than just salary. They expense everything on the companies dime. Constantly taking and taking from all angles. Company money is their personal petty cash drawer.

So things like cookouts come up and they see the money being spent on it so subconsciously they get a little annoyed because its less money going into their lifestyles. They get double annoyed when people aren't even grateful and don't spend their personal time going to these expensive events.

Basically, c-levels are mostly loving sociopaths that don't understand human emotions.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SaltLick posted:

Fighting with commissioners court and the departments trying to get money is the best in county government.

:allears:
Tell me about it. We're fighting over $30 in print overages at the moment.

My solution is to buy $3000 worth of software so we can properly track all the prints, their(my boss') solution is "make Xerox pay for it." 10 months of unpaid invoices later, I'm still working with Xerox to get a solution worked out. I'm pretty sure they've already wasted over about $12,000(actual time, not billable hours bullshit) worth of my employment time here instead of just buying the drat software.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My company actually had a lunch function at a nice nearby restaurant a few weeks back just because they could. They paid for all of our meals too.

I know, I was surprised as well :stare:.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Had to make a whole bunch of phone calls to a LEC yesterday because some of my metro-e was hosed up.

Pretty sure they've bought a nursing home and turned it into a call center. If not, then hey guys, I have a loving *fantastic* business idea!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
For all of you working for lovely bosses and lovely companies, I hope you can :toot: someplace good.

There are good companies out there to work for. Companies that actually do care about communication, team building etc. Our IT team goes out at least monthly to lunch that the company pays for. Quarterly we do something a little more involved, laser tag, bowling, etc, all during the work day.

We just did a 2 day communication training (I know, I know, I thought it was going to be loving awful) that was at a pub, with an open bar and it turned out to be really well run and interesting in terms of how people communicate in our IT team and in the larger IS team as a whole.

Keep looking nerds, there are good places to work, good bosses, good coworkers.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

For all of you working for lovely bosses and lovely companies, I hope you can :toot: someplace good.

There are good companies out there to work for. Companies that actually do care about communication, team building etc. Our IT team goes out at least monthly to lunch that the company pays for. Quarterly we do something a little more involved, laser tag, bowling, etc, all during the work day.

We just did a 2 day communication training (I know, I know, I thought it was going to be loving awful) that was at a pub, with an open bar and it turned out to be really well run and interesting in terms of how people communicate in our IT team and in the larger IS team as a whole.
This is how I expect my underlings to do it (except training. A lot of that happens via vendor, so the precise format is out of our control - but I do let them vote on which trainings to attend). But I also have to say that it wasn't like this at my previous job or my current job until I started it, and both were large cultural changes to the organization that took time and a lot of teeth gnashing for people to come around.

DigitalMocking posted:

Keep looking nerds, there are good places to work, good bosses, good coworkers.
Be the change you want to see. If you want a good corporate culture, then start that change and push for the changes to infect others. Be as viral as you can, but still accept that in some companies you won't be able to make a lick of difference. But you should still try.

Yes, I said infect. Culture is infectious. Cover yourself in good culture and rub other people.

Don't actually rub other people, pervert.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jaegerx posted:

My salary was renegotiated for me this year to have more incentives and less salary but the total possible income would remain the same they informed me. It was for my benefit cause bigger bonuses they informed me.

:yotj:

Vaguely IT related, but a good while back I used to sell computers for a chain. It paid fairly decently, and because we were special snowflake Mac salespeople, we got a flat commission percentage of 1.5%, IIRC. PC sales folks had a variable percentage based on attach rates, etc. I think it could float between 1-3%, and some people over there made good money. Everyone got a base hourly below their commission, so it was evened out some by that.
Well, they didn't like paying us our 1.5%, apparently. So they put us on a floating thing with all sorts of big promises that we're going to make MORE money because hey, we're good salespeople right?

Well a month in or so, everyone's percentage crashes. I think there were something like 90 Apple salespeople in the company, and all of THREE had managed to maintain 1.5% or above. Literally everyone else was lower.

I was gone about three weeks later.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

crunk dork posted:

C-levels often get deeply invested in a company on a personal level, even beyond finances. In a way the company is their family, and others failing to "invest" their personal time into it as they do is viewed as a slight.

As Sickening said, there's definitely a sociopath part of it too. These people eat, breathe, and poo poo the company culture, and nearly everything they do in life is somehow related to the company or in service of it. It's sort of like being a king and a slave at the same time.

More often than not the family of the C-level gets involved in the company too, whether they like it or not. Hosting dinners, that kind of bullshit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Our HR department ran a work / life survey to anonymously ask employees what they'd like to see change in the culture. In the benefits section, the lowest ranked answer was off-hour company picnics.

Guess what the new work / life balance committee got approved as their first initiative?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Our HR department ran a work / life survey to anonymously ask employees what they'd like to see change in the culture. In the benefits section, the lowest ranked answer was off-hour company picnics.

Guess what the new work / life balance committee got approved as their first initiative?

Free bar of gold to all employees?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We had a team survey for "what should we do for the offsite" where we could pick the top three things. However it was way too broken out and so watching a movie came in first despite being everyone's third choice over some variance on "shooting things." There was like, skeet shooting, target shooting, and something else shooting which split the vote, but if you had forcibly simplified the options it came out to movies being like 4th on the list. :downs:

we_eat_dirt
Jan 7, 2013
Has anyone had any experience setting up an SCCM service or the like?

Used SCCM for deployment at my old job but my new boss is looking for something similar at the place I have just started .

I heard it is crazy expensive so open to alternatives.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

we_eat_dirt posted:

Has anyone had any experience setting up an SCCM service or the like?

Used SCCM for deployment at my old job but my new boss is looking for something similar at the place I have just started .

I heard it is crazy expensive so open to alternatives.

Whats the primary need behind looking into it? Patching, deployment, imaging ? It's a cumbersome all in one management suite and if you had a specific need I'm sure you could find a much cheaper 4rd party product to do what you need to do. Although I think if you have enterprise licensing it's included automatically.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I can answer most SCCM questions you might have since it's one of my (many) primary responsibilities.

The System Center components are usually bundled into the EA agreement for MS licensing, so oftentimes it's the cheapest solution. Steep learning curve, unintuitive design, great product.

We use it for patching, application deployment, OS deployment, etc.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My company has a once a year summer picnic on a weekend and a large number of employees show up for it. Of course, the picnic is designed to be an event people can bring their family/kids to... also there's usually steak and lobster.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Our company events are awful, and always on a weekend or after hours. All of them cost little to no money.

Hey guys, come out here and clean up a park. Or hand out propaganda at the local city event! Bring your kids, it'll be great!

Did I mention you get a T-Shirt?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Want a company shirt? Costs $30.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Our company events have become a bit of a sliding scale since marketing/events got beefed up.

When the company was smaller we might have occasionally piled into a restaurant to get everything expensed on the company credit card just when the day finishes, same goes with bars if the big boss is in. Larger events include the Christmas party where every employee comes along for a pretty grand event booze and food, along with some pretty bitchin' entertainment where everyone gets wasted.

Lately however the new events team has been ploughing on smaller events like pub quizzes etc, the shiner is a nature walk somewhere scheduled on an upcoming Sunday... gently caress that poo poo on all accounts, I'm not going for a several mile jog around a lake with a baby buggy and angry wife in tow (surprise surprise only 5 people signed up).

We also did a charity 10k run last year and they want to do it again, they would have to pay me to do that again.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 29, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

captkirk posted:

My company has a once a year summer picnic on a weekend and a large number of employees show up for it. Of course, the picnic is designed to be an event people can bring their family/kids to... also there's usually steak and lobster.
Once a year, for the family, catered - that ticks all the boxes, I'm all for it. That sounds fantastic.

It's the "we're such a team, let's start having Thursday night movie night at the office!" crap that has no place.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Once a year, for the family, catered - that ticks all the boxes, I'm all for it. That sounds fantastic.

It's the "we're such a team, let's start having Thursday night movie night at the office!" crap that has no place.

If I'm expected to watch a movie at the office on a Thursday night, they'd better have something good. I'm talking something on the order of "We got the new Star Wars movie two days before release" good.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

psydude posted:

If you are printing it use A4 paper instead of letter. Because it is longer on a CV it is normal to include high school information even for people with advanced degrees, and to include hobbies. A CV can include references where a resume would omit them. It is not unusual for a CV to include a photo even for jobs that have nothing to do with physical appearance. A lot of personal information that would be inappropriate on a resume is expected on a CV, age, marital status, number of kids, nationality.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

lampey posted:

A lot of personal information that would be inappropriate on a resume is expected on a CV, age, marital status, number of kids, nationality.

Weird, aren't these things we're explicitly forbidden from asking about in the US?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've never heard of anyone expecting full personal details on a cv. Name and contact info is enough. Some people state their age but it's never required.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lampey posted:

A lot of personal information that would be inappropriate on a resume is expected on a CV, age, marital status, number of kids, nationality.

This has to be a troll.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My life revolves around managing an MRP system where the Operations Management team decides to completely change business processes in every 6 months to account for physical fuckups in inventory control. Like they want the IT group to implement a directed pick and inventory storage protocol despite the fact that the warehouse team won't loving put inventory in the correct spot in the first place. I keep having meetings with C level executives explaining that we have to get our physical business processes straightened out before we throw $20k at a warehouse management system that won't actually fix anything (because people will still put the loving parts in the wrong location).

Our revenue stream has increased threefold in 4 years, but we are still acting like we're a small time manufacturing plant. Also, every inventory discrepancy or planning fuckup is blamed on "the system" despite the fact that nobody ever produces any evidence as to how the system is doing things wrong. I finally put my foot down and said that I wouldn't offer assistance unless concrete evidence was presented that proved that our planning software wasn't working. Surprisingly the Ops manager bought into this. The only problem is that now they just quit trying to fix root problems and things never get resolved.

On the plus side, I only have one on-call week per month and I rarely have to work over 40 hours a week, so that's nice.

I swear, the next job I get is going to be out of automotive manufacturing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My boss has made the same Prince joke a minimum of 5 times a day all this week. He finally changed it yesterday about Prince and percocet and is now at 4 times so far. My life is hell

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What god awful joke would that be?

My favorite Prince joke will forever be Kevin Smith saying "This is brilliant. I'd watch this documentary about how a man falls apart in front of a crowd of people. But I don't think that's the documentary he has is mind."

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sickening posted:

Back when I was a kid my mom was a nurse at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, OH. Every summer the hospital would have a family day at Americana Amusement Park. Although it was a lot smaller compared to today's King's Island, back in the late 70's through the mid 80's it was one of the coolest places I could remember going as a kid, beaten only by Walt Disney World. When MVH was folded into the Premier Health Partners umbrella they moved the family day to King's Island. By that time, of course, Americana was in serious decline and wasn't long for this world. I was saddened to hear when it was closed, but it was more due to nostalgia than because I actually missed it. King's Island was, after all, much better.

I'm sure it cost the company a pretty penny to put on this event (admission, parking, food and drinks, as well as various rides and games that required an additional purchase were all included), but it made a lot of employees proud to work for the hospital. PHP has since gotten rid of Family Day, and it was one of the things my mom was most bitter about when she retired after 48 years working for MVH and PHP. Many of the people who had retired during her many years of service would only make appearances at Family Day with their adult children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren.

Of course, people are resources now, so making them feel good or bringing a touch of joy to their lives, especially if it costs a company extra, is a big no-no I guess.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Of course, people are resources now, so making them feel good or bringing a touch of joy to their lives, especially if it costs a company extra, is a big no-no I guess.

One of my previous bosses told me a story how a previously retired employee was found to be on hard times especially after his wife passed away. He had more or less given up on life, stop coming to senior events, buying groceries or cleaning up after himself to point where social services were called to remove a rat infestation. Upper-management was informed of the situation and decided the best course of action was to pull in a few of the younger engineers to help out. As opposed to working on multi-million dollar telecom installations they were scheduled to merely stop by grocery store on a Friday afternoons, make a random 80-year old dinner and hangout for a hour afterwords all on the company dime.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

One of my previous bosses told me a story how a previously retired employee was found to be on hard times especially after his wife passed away. He had more or less given up on life, stop coming to senior events, buying groceries or cleaning up after himself to point where social services were called to remove a rat infestation. Upper-management was informed of the situation and decided the best course of action was to pull in a few of the younger engineers to help out. As opposed to working on multi-million dollar telecom installations they were scheduled to merely stop by grocery store on a Friday afternoons, make a random 80-year old dinner and hangout for a hour afterwords all on the company dime.
Ernie just wants to go back to the mail room.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Not completely related to this, but I have a feeling that some people just wither away after their meaning in life (work, more often than not) is gone. Especially if it's a widow(er). Seen this in education a time or two, it's never pretty. One physics prof we had got force-retired, but came back nevertheless on a different contract after saying pretty much outright that "it's either this, or I'll die of sheer boredom within six months".

It might be worth mentioning that he's one of the best math/physics teachers I've ever met, even wrote a pretty good book on Thorium and nuclear power a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

There is nothing wrong with thinking of people as resources. You take care of your resources, cultivate them, improve them, and try to renew them. The new hotness is dehumanizing your employees by considering them to be capital, which is something you spend.

edit: I coined a new term today, trickle down loyalty. My boss, the CIO, has shown a great deal of loyalty to all of his employees. He does not fire anyone, he makes sure his top performers are suitably compensated (as in the helpdesk guy who really does do twice the work really does get twice the pay), etc.. In turn, he has the lowest turnover rate of any executive at my company, and it is 100% due to the fact that he treats his employees well.

adorai fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 30, 2016