Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Otacon, you intentionally designed it with a weak point?

It's not a weak point--I like to think of it as more of a character flaw. People and weapons just aren't complete without a character flaw, don't you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I beat OG2 in ex hard mode. The last 4 maps were just pure RNG one shot kill hell. What I learned most was how to use EN and sp draining weapons. I saw a video on youtube of a guy playing as a blue alteisen and red weissritter, was that some romhack?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah, OG2 adapts SRW A with Lamia as the protagonist. There's a romhack of it that picks Axel instead.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm playing in special mode, I think I got more cash at the start and some weapons like the new double chakram caster, which is nice, but is there anything else? I think I've played this game over 3 times now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I discovered this very old picture on my computer of me being bad at video games and was overcome with nostalgia.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And this pops in my head immediately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOO7cT0ecOI

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ka0 posted:

I'm playing in special mode, I think I got more cash at the start and some weapons like the new double chakram caster, which is nice, but is there anything else? I think I've played this game over 3 times now.

The more cash is just from being New Game+

Special Mode also gives every mech 10 upgrade bars in every stat.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
The fun thing to do in OG2's NG+ is to take the moon route at the first split, max upgrade the Hiryu, and have Lefina kick in the faces of the Inspectors at episode 15. Serves them right for making you suffer for the secret parts and weapons.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

I discovered this very old picture on my computer of me being bad at video games and was overcome with nostalgia.

I see someone using Shin Getter 3. At the end of the game. In space.

Musashi is crying Getter tears of joy in Getter valhalla.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ka0 posted:

I beat OG2 in ex hard mode. The last 4 maps were just pure RNG one shot kill hell. What I learned most was how to use EN and sp draining weapons. I saw a video on youtube of a guy playing as a blue alteisen and red weissritter, was that some romhack?
The blue Alt is a dummied out version that was more than likely intended to be Beowulf's Alteisen (OG2 only has it as a map sprite in the final game), seeing as how OGs later adapted the color scheme for Beowulf. The paint job also was used for the Valsion Kai CF hijack mission that was added for OGs for Kyosuke.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

AradoBalanga posted:

The blue Alt is a dummied out version that was more than likely intended to be Beowulf's Alteisen (OG2 only has it as a map sprite in the final game), seeing as how OGs later adapted the color scheme for Beowulf. The paint job also was used for the Valsion Kai CF hijack mission that was added for OGs for Kyosuke.

I wonder if we're ever going to get a Kyosuke + Beowulf showdown? Seems as the series progresses, the closest we're going to get is the anime.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They could use the fact that there are so many mirror universe characters still running around as a way to bring him back in. Isn't the Spanish girl from Alpha 3 from there too?

And heck if they use him the same way the anime did the stupid Einst are coming back this game anyway so might as well throw him in.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Silvergun1000 posted:

I wonder if we're ever going to get a Kyosuke + Beowulf showdown? Seems as the series progresses, the closest we're going to get is the anime.
Probably not. There was a drama CD released around the time of Endless Frontier Exceed to explain how Axel, Kouta and Alfimi get to the Endless Frontier world. Another part of the drama CD was to explain what happened to Axel when he fought Beowulf at TLI, told from Axel's perspective. The battle ends with Axel jumping to the OG world and setting off the self-destruct sequence for XN Lykieos (aka, the version of System XN that was too large to fit in a mech and was made into a large structure by Gilliam), resulting in the destruction of TLI and Beowulf more than likely dying in the blast or the building collapse. Even with the Einst's regenerative capabilities, Beowulf would still be stuck in the Shadow Mirror world because of all the data on System XN either being taken with the Shadow Mirrors when they jumped, or completely destroyed when TLI blew up. Thus, outside of some dumb plot reason to go to the Shadow Mirror world, Beowulf is most likely a thing of the past.

Plus, Beowulf returning means more Einst shenanigans, and I personally would rather have a micro black hole shoved up my rear end before having to deal with their tired and boring vagueness again.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Ethiser posted:

They could use the fact that there are so many mirror universe characters still running around as a way to bring him back in. Isn't the Spanish girl from Alpha 3 from there too?

And heck if they use him the same way the anime did the stupid Einst are coming back this game anyway so might as well throw him in.

Selena is from the OGverse. There has never been anything to imply she's from the SMverse.

I can't see how Beowulf would be much of a threat at this point anyway. It's hard to get excited about Einstified Kyosuke when we already beat the crap out of both Einstified Excellen and Einstified White Star three games ago.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

AradoBalanga posted:

Probably not. There was a drama CD released around the time of Endless Frontier Exceed to explain how Axel, Kouta and Alfimi get to the Endless Frontier world. Another part of the drama CD was to explain what happened to Axel when he fought Beowulf at TLI, told from Axel's perspective. The battle ends with Axel jumping to the OG world and setting off the self-destruct sequence for XN Lykieos (aka, the version of System XN that was too large to fit in a mech and was made into a large structure by Gilliam), resulting in the destruction of TLI and Beowulf more than likely dying in the blast or the building collapse. Even with the Einst's regenerative capabilities, Beowulf would still be stuck in the Shadow Mirror world because of all the data on System XN either being taken with the Shadow Mirrors when they jumped, or completely destroyed when TLI blew up. Thus, outside of some dumb plot reason to go to the Shadow Mirror world, Beowulf is most likely a thing of the past.

Plus, Beowulf returning means more Einst shenanigans, and I personally would rather have a micro black hole shoved up my rear end before having to deal with their tired and boring vagueness again.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

That's leftover plot from Real Robot Regiment apparently, so it gets a pass on a technicality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beowulf showing up would be as easy as an unstable dimensional rift and between Crossgates and just the general shenanigans with time/same that gave us Endless Frontier/Project X-Zone it wouldn't be hard for that to happen.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If they plan on bringing the Z series into OG, inter-dimensional shenanigans aren't going to let up any time soon.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

AradoBalanga posted:

That's leftover plot from Real Robot Regiment apparently, so it gets a pass on a technicality.

RRR plot in OG is very Einst related seeing as they have Jetzt cores as engines.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Finished FMW1 with only Sakuya alive savescumming double image and crits until she had enough juice to use Killing Doll for the finish. I'm gonna blame accidentally letting Daiyousei support defend and not having her focused for one round of the map attack hell spellcard cascading into having one less Trust and not having anyone to heal the squad so they could survive a second attack. Without those errors I think I would have only lost Rumia (who I also lost to not defending all of the clones). Oh well she can manipulate time and was the 10th member of "..And Then There Were None" so I'll allow it. It's good and lookin' forward to FMW2!

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Gundam breaker 3's out in English and has an actually okay translation quality

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

I see someone using Shin Getter 3. At the end of the game. In space.

Musashi is crying Getter tears of joy in Getter valhalla.

Was there actually any reason to use Shin Getter 3 in Alpha 3? It's been a while since I've played. I know in Alpha 1 there's a handful of water stages where Getter 3/Poseidon is useful, particularly the stages where you need to protect the Macross Quarter before you launch into space.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Emuticus posted:

Was there actually any reason to use Shin Getter 3 in Alpha 3? It's been a while since I've played. I know in Alpha 1 there's a handful of water stages where Getter 3/Poseidon is useful, particularly the stages where you need to protect the Macross Quarter before you launch into space.

Does it maybe have a cheaper ALL attack than the other forms? I'm drawing a blank.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Getter 1's only ALL is his best attack and like 100 EN so thats possible, but Im not sure.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shin Getter 3 has a B in space so no, there is no reason to use it in @3

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KoB posted:

Getter 1's only ALL is his best attack and like 100 EN so thats possible, but Im not sure.

Despite that I rigged it up so Ryouma more or less solo cleared the Giant Naked Rei map in about 3 turns.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Shin Getter 3 has a B in space so no, there is no reason to use it in @3

I guess if you put a Space Module or an S-Adapter that would make it worth it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress stats, always deploy as many Getters and Mazingers as possible. :colbert: :c00lbert: :kamina:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Finished FMW1 with only Sakuya alive savescumming double image and crits until she had enough juice to use Killing Doll for the finish.

From what I hear, the Windows 7 version of FMW1 actually buffs Sakuya a little for the final chapter. Coming in with no skills or upgrades still makes her pretty worthless though. :v:

Flandre is probably the outright toughest of the final bosses since (as you noticed) FMW1 restricted you to 10 characters max to make an Agatha Christie gag. If you're on Normal, FMW2 and FMW3's bosses are more dramatic but shouldn't be as much trouble in comparison.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
An incredibly fast and easy way to fix equippable weapons in modern OG games is to simply make them inherit whatever level of weapon upgrades the unit they're equipped to happens to have. Slap an M950 on an Alt Eisen with 5 weapon upgrades, it's an M950 with 5 upgrades. Switch it to the Weissritter with 3 weapon upgrades, it's an M950 with 3 upgrades.

This would encourage you to actually make use of the huge variety of equippable weapons available.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

From what I hear, the Windows 7 version of FMW1 actually buffs Sakuya a little for the final chapter. Coming in with no skills or upgrades still makes her pretty worthless though. :v:

Wait, where can I get my hands on this? Is it a patch, or is it a whole new version of the game? Constant crashing killed my recent attempt to run through FMW1, especially since it takes about half an hour every time I want to restart my computer.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's a patch on the official website. Isn't compatible with the english patch though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Caphi posted:

That was one of my most favorite missions. Entirely because having watched gunbuster having all the other super robots be there and go "we got your back" is a childhood dream come true.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Revolver Bunker posted:

That was one of my most favorite missions. Entirely because having watched gunbuster having all the other super robots be there and go "we got your back" is a childhood dream come true.
Yeah, it may be the most memorable stage in the series for me so far, and way more so than the final stage of the game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I wish I had my old Alpha 3 pictures from when I tried to get the highest killcount possible in a single stage. I guess I should just do that again on emulator or something, with optimizations.

A three digit killcount on the ace screen is not enough in that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I wish I had my old Alpha 3 pictures from when I tried to get the highest killcount possible in a single stage. I guess I should just do that again on emulator or something, with optimizations.

A three digit killcount on the ace screen is not enough in that game.

I forget, is the big "kill a bunch of " STMC thing right after you get a billion upgrades infinite or just merely a lot?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I forget, is the big "kill a bunch of " STMC thing right after you get a billion upgrades infinite or just merely a lot?

Just merely a lot. The stage has a forced end at the start of turn 8, and some enemies spawn out of effective enemy attack range.

I had it set up to use the non-MAP Ideon Gun with its infinite energy to wipe out as many enemies as possible during the enemy turn, but they'd eventually stop spawning waves because enough platoons didn't attack (and thus survived) that eventually I'd stop hitting the low enemy count threshold to spawn a new wave.

I think my estimate for kills in the stage was 1375. I'm pretty sure I could do better now if I set it up properly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Meanwhile the GGG FInal of Final stage ruined the Macross 7 songs for me :v: with that stupid infinite awaken loop.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I feel like I never used Fire Bomber to their full potential in Alpha because I never quite figured out that trick. I just used them to blast all my supers' will to 130 instantly and just streamroll the rest of the stage.

I never used Banpreios to clear a mission on its own either. Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

I feel like I never used Fire Bomber to their full potential in Alpha because I never quite figured out that trick. I just used them to blast all my supers' will to 130 instantly and just streamroll the rest of the stage.

I never used Banpreios to clear a mission on its own either. Shameful.

You stack them in 2 squads so you can spam Power to the Dream and My Friends after applying all the buffs. Have a few people with the SP recovery and EN/ammo recovery spells in the aoe and stick someone with Awaken any squad you want to do the killing. In the mission I mentioned clones of Palparepa Prajna and Pia Decem Peak endlessly respawn when killed, almost always in range of Raideen's God Voice or ZZ's High Mega Cannon (both pilots bring their own Awaken to the party. And that's how 2 pilots I hardly used had over 1k kills each and I fully upgraded every unit on my first run.

• Locked thread