Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chrollo can put seals on anything and they last until they explode. he can control a large number of puppets made from copying corpses. the entire audience is absolutely full of seals and copy puppets, but some of the seals are probably on regular members of the audience that he can control using black voice while remaining disguised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

i am dead now. togashi has killed me.

My brain hurts so much after reading the latest chapter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So it appears that Chrollo chose Heaven's Arena as the place to fight Hisoka just so he could use the Audience as weapons.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 2, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chrollo can put seals on anything and they last until they explode. he can control a large number of puppets made from copying corpses. the entire audience is absolutely full of seals and copy puppets, but some of the seals are probably on regular members of the audience that he can control using black voice while remaining disguised.

Yep. He plans to hide in the audience while he can fight by proxy through bombs, puppets and controlled people. Truly evil.
And somehow Hisoka will show he is also a psychopath and just will kill everyone at distance to clear up Chrollo's cover, and gently caress the police. I imagine something like a mix bungee gum and his cards, with the cards all bouncing up and cutting everyone.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i still cant believe this is happening

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep. He plans to hide in the audience while he can fight by proxy through bombs, puppets and controlled people. Truly evil.
And somehow Hisoka will show he is also a psychopath and just will kill everyone at distance to clear up Chrollo's cover, and gently caress the police. I imagine something like a mix bungee gum and his cards, with the cards all bouncing up and cutting everyone.

he would have to decapitate everyone, not just kill them. wide area attacks aren't really one of hisoka's strengths, because his entire existence is based on fighting duels with strong people. there is also how just about everyone there should be able to use at least the basics of nen, or else there would be no point in watching nen battles. that isnt normally a level of ability that hisoka would have to watch out for, but he can't just wave his hands around and make everyone fall over dead.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I'm betting on Hisoka hiring Illumi to deal with this sort of eventuality.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

I'm betting on Hisoka hiring Illumi to deal with this sort of eventuality.

that would entail the risk of illumi kill stealing him.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure this is when Hisoka reveals he secretly attached texture surprise to Chrollo and/or his book.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka isn't gonna try and get help. This fight is what he has been dreaming about for years. Chrollo doesn't see this as getting help either. He said it himself, he doesn't see much difference between puppets and humans. They are all tools as far as he is concerned.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TWIST FIST posted:

i still cant believe this is happening

i think togashi is dying so is just getting the bit everyone cares about most finished

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

jon joe posted:

Pretty sure this is when Hisoka reveals he secretly attached texture surprise to Chrollo and/or his book.

Everything's texture surprise. The audience. The stands. All of the arena and the building.

Hell even Chrollo is texture surprise. Turns out Hisokas just jackin it in the woods.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I appreciate setting up the stakes for the fight but it took me two passes to get everything Chrollo has planned. Stop me if I'm wrong here but
Chrollo is using 5 stolen abilities in this fight.
  1. Black voice (Shalnark)
  2. Sun and Moon (Metero city elder)
  3. Gallery fake (Kortupi)
  4. Order Stamp (unknown)
  5. Convert Hands - Transfer Student (unknown)

His plan is to fight Hisoka with the audience as ammunition by using manipulated members with black voice and Gallery Fake + Order Stamp. In addition to distractions they may also be bombs created by Sun and Moon with no time limit on when they detonate since the stamps must touch to activate and the ability has evolved into a curse as a result of the original wielder dying and leaving his nen behind so it can be active even if skill hunter isn't opened to that page.

In addition to all that he can disguise himself as an audience member using Convert hands and possibly manipulate the person who takes on his appearance with black voice as well.

All in all this is by far the most technical fight happening and I wish it were a little less wordy but hopefully Togashi is just front loading all the dialogue now and the next chapter will be more actiony.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 2, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jon joe posted:

This would be absolutely bonkers, but the fact that you were able to guess it means it can't be true.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I guessed that same thing too, so it's probably too obvious.

Something interesting here, though, is that we've actually seen Sun and Moon before, or at least heard of it, a long, long time ago. Back in Yorknew, when Meteor City was first mentioned, we learned about how, when one of their citizens was killed, several of their own people went and suicide bombed everyone involved with that, as the anecdote to explain why people didn't want to gently caress with the Troupe anymore and the reward was withdrawn (or however it went exactly). Apparently, this is the power that was used to do that. That's kind of neat.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

Everything's texture surprise. The audience. The stands. All of the arena and the building.

Hell even Chrollo is texture surprise. Turns out Hisokas just jackin it in the woods.

:smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

I appreciate setting up the stakes for the fight but it took me two passes to get everything Chrollo has planned. Stop me if I'm wrong here but
Chrollo is using 5 stolen abilities in this fight.
  1. Black voice (Shalnark)
  2. Sun and Moon (Metero city elder)
  3. Gallery fake (Kortupi)
  4. Order Stamp (unknown)
  5. Convert Hands - Transfer Student (unknown)

His plan is to fight Hisoka with the audience as ammunition by using manipulated members with black voice and Gallery Fake + Order Stamp. In addition to distractions they may also be bombs created by Sun and Moon with no time limit on when they detonate since the stamps must touch to activate and the ability has evolved into a curse as a result of the original wielder dying and leaving his nen behind so it can be active even if skill hunter isn't opened to that page.

In addition to all that he can disguise himself as an audience member using Convert hands and possibly manipulate the person who takes on his appearance with black voice as well.

All in all this is by far the most technical fight happening and I wish it were a little less wordy but hopefully Togashi is just front loading all the dialogue now and the next chapter will be more actiony.

You missed some things: Chrollo can only use gallery fake on corpses, and order stamp on the copies he makes with gallery fake. As we saw in york new, gallery fake has a time limit. So Chrollo has spent the last few days murdering people with tickets for the fight and sending copy puppets in their place. He can't actually make any more copies without losing his disguise, nor can he use sun and moon because that also requires two hands. I don't think he is going to pull out another one handed ability after spending two chapters explaining, either. The sun and moon marks don't have to be on the same person, or even on a person. So there could be normal audience members with a mark and puppets who can then be controlled into detonating them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

You missed some things: Chrollo can only use gallery fake on corpses, and order stamp on the copies he makes with gallery fake. As we saw in york new, gallery fake has a time limit. So Chrollo has spent the last few days murdering people with tickets for the fight and sending copy puppets in their place. He can't actually make any more copies without losing his disguise, nor can he use sun and moon because that also requires two hands. I don't think he is going to pull out another one handed ability after spending two chapters explaining, either. The sun and moon marks don't have to be on the same person, or even on a person. So there could be normal audience members with a mark and puppets who can then be controlled into detonating them.

Incorrect. Gallery fake can be used on anything. But if used on living things they are inanimate. Remember Kortopi used it to fake Chrollo and other troupe members deaths. Chrollo also can shed his disguise if he wants to. Once he gets lost in the crowd after swapping looks he can start creating puppet copies of people and send them after Hisoka, then swap to a new person's appearance. Remember also that he can also make people look like him. So fake versions of him will be running around. This will also allow him to work on creating more puppets and bombs to send at Chrollo.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 3, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah, Gallery Fake + Order stamp is a combo attack. But I don't know about him killing people in advance to place them in the audience. We've seen two people and it's assumed that they are being controlled by Black Voice right now. We also don't know if Chrollo has used Transfer student yet because the last panels are Hisoka thinking about how boned he is. It is however, perfectly reasonable for Chrollo to kill people right now or use people caught in the collateral of his fight for materials for more clones.

There is also the fact that Chrollo still has a OHKO with Black Voice if he can land a hit on Hisoka. Thankfully the contidions for that ability require the user to place the antenna not another person.

I still really appreciate this one aspect of nen though. Abilities are very much tied to the users beliefs and personality. I don't know what kind of person created Order Stamp but given how it's named, "proof of humanity" and how chrollo juxtaposes it with the Elder. I get the impression that the person who created that ability had a real disdain for manipulator abilities being used on people, and more than that. Saw the manipulated as something less than human themselves. Some stuff like Gallery Fake doesn't say much about the creator except they are master forgers, but most abilities carry a very distinct impression of the people who made them.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Incorrect. Gallery fake can be used on anything. But if used on living things they are inanimate. Remember Kortopi used it to fake Chrollo and other troupe members deaths. Chrollo also can shed his disguise if he wants to. Once he gets lost in the crowd after swapping looks he can start creating puppet copies of people and send them after Hisoka, then swap to a new person's appearance. Remember also that he can also make people look like him. So fake versions of him will be running around. This will also allow him to work on creating more puppets and bombs to send at Chrollo.

He can't switch back to gallery fake without losing his disguise because they are both two hand abilities and he can only use one of those at a time. Likewise, he cannot put down new sun and moon seals and must rely on what he put down before the match. But you are right, he could have left those people alive except for the fact that he is a ruthless murderer and it would be less trouble to kill everyone he copied.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He can't switch back to gallery fake without losing his disguise because they are both two hand abilities and he can only use one of those at a time. Likewise, he cannot put down new sun and moon seals and must rely on what he put down before the match. But you are right, he could have left those people alive except for the fact that he is a ruthless murderer and it would be less trouble to kill everyone he copied.

He can lose his disguise for a bit however. Because of the crowd it's going to take a while for Hisoka to find him. If he acts fast enough he will be able to make copies and bombs all over the place. He does likely already have a bunch of puppets and bombs in the audience. I am just saying he can make more with little difficulty.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm just gonna lol anyway when Hisoka wins using one ability

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

But Bungee Gum has the properties of both rubber and gum

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm just gonna lol anyway when Hisoka wins using one ability

to be fair hisoka could be a pretty good jojo protagonist considering the wide utility of his two abilities

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder how Chrollo is gonna handle it if Hisoka decides to spiderman around instead of wading in. That is like the most basic thing bungee gum can do.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Should Hisoka ever manage to land a hit on the guy, he can also use his Bungee Gum to keep track of him no matter where he is or whether or not he changes his appearance.

We're basically in Divekick territory here where the first guy to land a hit on the other one wins.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder how Chrollo is gonna handle it if Hisoka decides to spiderman around instead of wading in. That is like the most basic thing bungee gum can do.

I wonder how Chrollo is gonna hide when Hisoka can use his boner-sense to identify him.

-How did you know it was me?
(Camera pans down from Hisoka's smiling face to a burst of light)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Haha god drat Chrollo has as good as given Hisoka more weapons what with the way Sun and Moon works.

Also, I hope you can remember exactly where you put every one of your Sun and Moon seals Chrollo because keeping track of them visually is likely to be difficult thanks to Texture Surprise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the odds of a superperson like Chrollo not memorizing every single place he put the mark are pretty low. All Pro Hunters and whatnot seem to have extraordinary memories in addition to being extraordinary at everything else. I'm not sure how it would be possible to keep track of them visually anyway, in a crowd situation where he's intentionally altering people's appearances as he goes and giving general orders to puppets.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So do people know that Chrollo is the head of the spiders? If so it seems like a pretty big deal he'd be there at the arena. Speaking of weird things about the Heaven's Tower, were they always ok with the ref and audience being collateral damage?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

NecroMonster posted:

Haha god drat Chrollo has as good as given Hisoka more weapons what with the way Sun and Moon works.

Also, I hope you can remember exactly where you put every one of your Sun and Moon seals Chrollo because keeping track of them visually is likely to be difficult thanks to Texture Surprise.

Wait.

Did it get confirmed that the sun/moon stamps do or do not transfer with the copied form when transfer student is used?

Because I think that's gonna be the way Hisoka sets up Chrollo if they transfer with the form:

1: Find puppet/corpse with sun/moon on it.
2: Texture Surprise the marks.
3: Get that body near Chrollo (dunno how the trigger works but there's always bungee gum)
4: Chollo transfer students with the hidden sun/moon body thereby putting the sun/moon on himself.
5:

But the issue there is that Chollo could change back right? And he's not going to put Sun/Moon on his original form. So Hisoka's going to have to texture surprise his original form to either look like something else so that he does end up putting Sun/Moon on himself. Or he just starts putting his own sun/moon stamp on Chollo and hope the bluff works long enough for a killshot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I bet Pakunoda feels really stupid now in Nen Heaven now that Chrollo just admitted he sees humans as puppets to be used and holds no attachment to anyone

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So do people know that Chrollo is the head of the spiders? If so it seems like a pretty big deal he'd be there at the arena. Speaking of weird things about the Heaven's Tower, were they always ok with the ref and audience being collateral damage?

I get the distinct feeling that Hisoka and Chrollo aren't exactly playing by the rules anymore and never intended to in the first place.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, the bookmark definitely forces Chrollo to explain all his powers in detail when he's using it, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tunicate posted:

So, the bookmark definitely forces Chrollo to explain all his powers in detail when he's using it, right?

The best/worst thing would be if he's deliberating lying about some part of his abilities in order to set a trap.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Tunicate posted:

Most definitely he needs to explain the ability if its more than one he's using. What a bothersome ability

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Whatever the in-universe reason is, the real reason for that data dump was so that Togashi can just draw the rest of the fight with minimal dialogue and to let the reader play along with Hisoka.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that's not actually the case and it's a bluff so that Hisoka doesn't look out for new, unexplained Nen attacks.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

I get the distinct feeling that Hisoka and Chrollo aren't exactly playing by the rules anymore and never intended to in the first place.

Well yeah, but the announcer seems to treat it as no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is no prize money, just the nebulous promise of becoming a floor master. Everyone there is a battle junkie.